Sep 26, 2011
Official CCS Play-off brackets are out

# 8 Palma at #1 Serra Saturday 1 PM at Serra HS
# 5 Sacred Heart Prep at #4 Salinas Friday 7 PM at Salinas HS
#6 Mitty at #3 Los Gatos Friday 7 PM at Los Gatos HS
#7 Sacred Heart Cathedral at #2 St. Francis Friday 7 pm at St. Francis HS

Serra is a heavy favorite but lots of interesting match-ups

Reactions: FBAddict
Interesting side note. Former Los Gatos player and coach Danny Sullivan bringing Mitty over to LG for the first round.

I do think that Palma will really struggle to sustain drives and score against Serra and don't think this will be a close game.

The Sacred Heart Prep at Salinas game is intriguing. SHP has only given up 81 points all year and no one has scored more than 14 points against them including DI and DII play-off teams with some good speed, like Los Gatos (7), SHC (13), Menlo-Atherton (14), Half Moon Bay (7). SHP just doesn't make a lot mistakes and doesn't give up a lot of big plays. Salinas is going to have to be patient on offense. if Salinas can't stop the SHP running game and get off the field, SHP will really shorten the game. I think it will help Salinas to have this game at home. Salinas also get tested in pre-season, should be a great toss-up game.

SHC is making their second trip to Mountain View this year and came up short 24-17 the first time. Interesting to see who benefits more from a second match-up.

The Mitty - los Gatos game is a good local game of two schools located within 15 minutes of each other. Mitty seems to be running out of steam as the season has progressed. Los Gatos was pretty impressive in their recent big games against Wilcox and Menlo-Atherton.

Reactions: gr8ball
I feel like Serra is no less than 21 points better than the other 7 teams. They are just on another level. Wins vs Folsom and DLS and no one coming close to them in league really tells the story. Even an SH team with 2 D1 players, their best OL/DL theyve ever had were absolutely no match. Running clock = huge discrepancy in overall talent amongst other things.

I realize this is just how the rules are but D1 shouldve been 4 teams, with the bottom 4 moving down to D2. They're all really just sacrificial lambs to be brutally honest.

Last edited:
I feel like Serra is no less than 21 points better than the other 7 teams. They are just on another level. Wins vs Folsom and DLS and no one coming close to them in league really tells the story. Even an SH team with 2 D1 players, their best OL/DL theyve ever had were absolutely no match. Running clock = huge discrepancy in overall talent amongst other things.

I realize this is just how the rules are but D1 shouldve been 4 teams, with the bottom 4 moving down to D1. They're all really just sacrificial lambs to be brutally honest.
That's a really bad idea. This is the second time you have posted this idea. Sure Serra is exceptionally good this year - but they are not the old DLS or the new DLS - however you say it. And this is not the NCS where everyone is scarred of them.

Reactions: Cal 14

I realize this is just how the rules are but D1 shouldve been 4 teams, with the bottom 4 moving down to D2. They're all really just sacrificial lambs to be brutally honest.
You don't build a program by running away from challenges.

Salinas has acknowledged and accepted that they are a D-I team. They're beginning to schedule their non-league games accordingly.

Would be real nice to see Bellarmine and SI in D1 with Salinas and Los Gatos in D2…..
As a Salinas alum, I think the program welcomes the challenge. If Los Gatos wishes to play in D-II, they're welcome to throw a few games so that they can hide from the best competition.

That's a really bad idea. This is the second time you have posted this idea. Sure Serra is exceptionally good this year - but they are not the old DLS or the new DLS - however you say it. And this is not the NCS where everyone is scarred of them.
Agree.

I think whoever Serra plays in the 2nd round, they’ll be presented with a challenge. While I may acknowledge that they are either #1 or 2 on offense and defense, the other contenders are SHP (defense) and Salinas (offense).

Yes, Serra’s D generally shut down their WCAL competition, but it’s not like any of those teams were offensive juggernauts this year. Only Mitty averaged more than 25 ppg for the year and St. Francis within league play. Salinas dropped over 50 on teams like Clovis and Valley Christian (and very nearly Palma). VC didn’t give up more than 37 to any WCAL team.

SHP’s D has been solid all year. Holding Los Gatos to 7 was a real eye-opener for me. Their game with Salinas is going to be a battle of wills.

Yes, Serra is the favorite, but I think their semifinal game will be interesting.

I think whoever Serra plays in the 2nd round, they’ll be presented with a challenge. While I may acknowledge that they are either #1 or 2 on offense and defense, the other contenders are SHP (defense) and Salinas (offense).

Yes, Serra’s D generally shut down their WCAL competition, but it’s not like any of those teams were offensive juggernauts this year. Only Mitty averaged more than 25 ppg for the year and St. Francis within league play. Salinas dropped over 50 on teams like Clovis and Valley Christian (and very nearly Palma). VC didn’t give up more than 37 to any WCAL team.

SHP’s D has been solid all year. Holding Los Gatos to 7 was a real eye-opener for me. Their game with Salinas is going to be a battle of wills.

Yes, Serra is the favorite, but I think their semifinal game will be interesting.
I agree. I think Serra's biggest challenge is this bracket is Salinas because of their QB and speed on the outside. Serra's is still a big favorite, but Salinas could make it interesting.

And not saying Salinas walks over Sacred Heart Prep because they have shown to have one of the best defenses in the section. Just think matchup wise, Salinas might cause more issues for Serra than SHP

You don't build a program by running away from challenges.

Salinas has acknowledged and accepted that they are a D-I team. They're beginning to schedule their non-league games accordingly.
No, you're absolutely right. This is really new, unfamiliar ground SH has just recently walked on. The level of success they've accomplished in the last 2 years if they are going to continue this trajectory will only be fueled by playing the best teams year in and year out regardless if they are losing in D1 or winning in lower divisions.

I realize the program gains better players that choose SH because of what they are building and are receiving the coaching that puts them in the best position to land a college offer, possibly D1.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers

We most assuredly do hope it's interesting. If it's not and Serra blows through the CCS playoffs with little competition, it makes the CCS prospects for 2023 even less interesting. Why? Because Serra figures to be even better next year. This is a very young team right now. Which is a daunting notion to consider.

I get what you're saying but it's also fair to point out that Serra led Valley Christian 36-0 at the half before stepping off the gas pedal.

We most assuredly do hope it's interesting. If it's not and Serra blows through the CCS playoffs with little competition, it makes the CCS prospects for 2023 even less interesting. Why? Because Serra figures to be even better next year. This is a very young team right now. Which is a daunting notion to consider.
Ok, so what do we want? Do we want competitive playoffs or do we want someone who might be able to take on the likes of Mater Dei and St. John Bosco? ‘Cause we probably can’t have both.

Ok, so what do we want? Do we want competitive playoffs or do we want someone who might be able to take on the likes of Mater Dei and St. John Bosco? ‘Cause we probably can’t have both.
We have a very slippery slope with the acceptance of NIL deals. The top programs will only be a gigantic vacuum to get more and more talent. There are no limitations with such programs. They can travel anywhere for games and it wouldnt affect their school's budget. At this point you cant even consider them "Amateur".

I get what you're saying but it's also fair to point out that Serra led Valley Christian 36-0 at the half before stepping off the gas pedal.
IMO we cannot use VC as the bellwether of any accomplishments this year.

We have a very slippery slope with the acceptance of NIL deals. The top programs will only be a gigantic vacuum to get more and more talent. There are no limitations with such programs. They can travel anywhere for games and it wouldnt affect their school's budget. At this point you cant even consider them "Amateur".
I'm not sure I understand some language you are using and what you are referring to -
What are "NIL deals"?
Who are "such programs"? I assume your are referring to "The top programs." Is that IMG, MD, SJB, C Miami, BG, SFA and the likes or are your referring to St. Francis, Serra, DLS, Folsom, VC and the likes?
What do you mean by "Ameteur"? Paid, not teanagers, recruited guns or what?

I'm just trying to understand the "slippery slope" you are trying to describe.

He, or she, has a point. The "slippery slope" probably refers to the example of the top programs outside NorCal. But that' doesn't mean a Serra, a St. Francis or some other entity could not, or would not, embark on a Mater Dei-like quest for domination, a slippery slope if you will. It's not out of the question. There is cash involved. And major publicity that can stimulate enrollment for a private or parochial school. That is the question: How far does a NorCal school want to go to achieve a St. John Bosco roster?

I'm not sure I understand some language you are using and what you are referring to -
What are "NIL deals"?
Who are "such programs"? I assume your are referring to "The top programs." Is that IMG, MD, SJB, C Miami, BG, SFA and the likes or are your referring to St. Francis, Serra, DLS, Folsom, VC and the likes?

Yes exactly what colhenrylives said. Yes the first group programs you mentioned are the culprits. The 2nd group more so Serra, DLS and Folsom are on their way if not already there. "Amateur" meaning not paid, but we know college players were getting paid for decades and no receiving a full-ride scholarship wasnt all they got. And today for high schools, free tuition is likely not all they are getting.

The question was do we want our northern teams to get to the level of MD and SJB? If the answer is yes then the have to do what they do which involves NIL deals for some of their select players. So if you go down that road, theres really no stopping these programs from getting the top players to come in year after year after year. Its not just school anymore. It's business.

I agree. I think Serra's biggest challenge is this bracket is Salinas because of their QB and speed on the outside. Serra's is still a big favorite, but Salinas could make it interesting.

And not saying Salinas walks over Sacred Heart Prep because they have shown to have one of the best defenses in the section. Just think matchup wise, Salinas might cause more issues for Serra than SHP
Well, I wasn’t going to come out and directly say it… but, yes, I agree with this. Having a great defense is important, but both Serra and Salinas can score in spurts. Once they do that, it’s hard to put the genie back in the bottle.

I think Salinas is in a unique position. A lot of teams have one playmaker on the outside, but very few have 2. You can’t focus on just one guy. They are probably the only team that can match scores with Serra. I don’t know if they will, should they advance after this weekend, but I think they’re the best hope. I think everyone else (Los Gatos, St. Francis) probably wants a defensive battle.

Still, I think this first round game (Salinas vs SHP) is going to be really tough, either way.

Yes exactly what colhenrylives said. Yes the first group programs you mentioned are the culprits. The 2nd group more so Serra, DLS and Folsom are on their way if not already there. "Amateur" meaning not paid, but we know college players were getting paid for decades and no receiving a full-ride scholarship wasnt all they got. And today for high schools, free tuition is likely not all they are getting.

The question was do we want our northern teams to get to the level of MD and SJB? If the answer is yes then the have to do what they do which involves NIL deals for some of their select players. So if you go down that road, theres really no stopping these programs from getting the top players to come in year after year after year. Its not just school anymore. It's business.

Thanks for clarifying! Indeed this is a slippery slope... When the opportunity to make money combined with the glamour of notoriety are reaching a confluence, it spells temporary success. It truly overrides teenage sedimentary development and success.

No, you're absolutely right. This is really new, unfamiliar ground SH has just recently walked on. The level of success they've accomplished in the last 2 years if they are going to continue this trajectory will only be fueled by playing the best teams year in and year out regardless if they are losing in D1 or winning in lower divisions.

I realize the program gains better players that choose SH because of what they are building and are receiving the coaching that puts them in the best position to land a college offer, possibly D1.
No was SHC should ever be below D2. 1500 Catholic WCAL school. Come on now. You don’t know the challenges low income publics have.

What are "NIL deals"?

NIL = Name, Image, Likeness

Endorsement deals

No was SHC should ever be below D2. 1500 Catholic WCAL school. Come on now. You don’t know the challenges low income publics have.
First, you try to defend the continued absurd use of enrollment for NCS divisions where Marin Catholic gets to hide in D-4, then try to say that no SHC team should be below D-2 because of economics? So, the small NCS D-4 schools don’t have that issue while facing a wealthier private school?

First, you try to defend the continued absurd use of enrollment for NCS divisions where Marin Catholic gets to hide in D-4, then try to say that no SHC team should be below D-2 because of economics? So, the small NCS D-4 schools don’t have that issue while facing a wealthier private school?
No school in NCS is “small” enrollment wise in D4 besides MC and CN…… most of the D4 teams have close to or more then double their enrollment of MC and CN………..I agree MC shouldn’t be in D4 but these aren’t a single small town tiny teams either they are 90% Bay Area schools with large enrollments……even more reason to combine a couple of divisions with more quality teams

No school in NCS is “small” enrollment wise in D4 besides MC and CN…… most of the D4 teams have close to or more then double their enrollment of MC and CN………..I agree MC shouldn’t be in D4 but these aren’t a single small town tiny teams either they are 90% Bay Area schools with large enrollments……even more reason to combine a couple of divisions with more quality teams
1300 students is not a large school.

1300 students is not a large school.

its a tiny rural small town school either and I just went thru enrollment of ever D4 school in NCS and 1300 is on the low side, most of the schools are somewhere in the 1400-1800 range these aren’t the Kelsyville, Ft Bragg, Middletown, clear lake schools of the world

its a tiny rural small town school either and I just went thru enrollment of ever D4 school in NCS and 1300 is on the low side, most of the schools are somewhere in the 1400-1800 range these aren’t the Kelsyville, Ft Bragg, Middletown, clear lake schools of the world
The upper range for D-4 is 1529.

The upper range for D-4 is 1529.

“For purposes of determining division record against teams outside of NCS, the division breaks are as follows”

those are for teams outside the NCS…..the actual schools physically in the D4 division many have more then 1529, I looked every school up online this morning when I was on the can

With the playoff discussions well underway on this thread, I want to throw it out there that Palma has 320 students at their school. All boys, yes, but still you are dealing a very very small high school. Likened to Salinas, they also played a challenging non-league schedule (Mitty, SHC, and Hilmar). Their reward for for beating SHC, Hilmar, Aptos, and 5 others...a trip to San Mateo.

I agree with the challenging yourself with a tough schedule, but in Palma's case, why would they? They were .5 points from being the #1 seed in D2, where they should be. If I were making Palma's schedule, I would probably change my strategy a bit due to their experience with the CCS point system.

Yeah that’s a stretch to say the least. CCS doubles their CBEDS so 640 would be the equivalency. I believe Palma’s lower levels each won 2 games? If that?

SHP has been a loud voice for enrollment based playoffs in the past, similar to Palma. They have a great team this year and that is to be celebrated, but place that team in their appropriate enrollment division and they are in the state championship. A window to a bigger problem with CCS not sending the best of the best onto state championships.

If every section in the state was allowed to do that, the South would probably win every division bowl game or close to it. The sheer number of outstanding teams would overwhelm the North. The equity system keeps that possibility somewhat at bay.

Last year, SHP won a low-level bowl game with a 3-7 regular season record. They did not have a parade. The school did not declare a holiday. There was no Atherton Rotary Club luncheon. SHP folks knew what that "title" really was. A nice experience against minimal opposition with little meaning in the larger prep football picture.

SHP has been a loud voice for enrollment based playoffs in the past, similar to Palma. They have a great team this year and that is to be celebrated, but place that team in their appropriate enrollment division and they are in the state championship. A window to a bigger problem with CCS not sending the best of the best onto state championships.
I’m calling BS on this. Even when the CCS had enrollment-based divisions, Palma petitioned to get into D-I pretty much every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT