ADVERTISEMENT

CIF State D1Norcals

Azanna--
certainly, among the successful, competitive teams that are left in section finals, everyone is going out there to win. it's talked about by posters here--wannabe wheeler-dealers who think they know how to game systems to get ahead, and figure it's the path to success (NCAA consultants?). it says more about the posters and their lives than about the teams or coaches mentioned.
What are you talking about?

I CANT BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD DONT HAVE ST JOES IN THE OPEN IF THEY WIN NCS D4!!!!

are you people just not paying attention???

LOOK AT THEIR SCHEDULE AND BREAK IT DOWN!!

1st....
EVERY YEAR
the OPEN has been in existence the NCS D4 champ has been put in the OPEN.

3 DIFFERENT TEAMS

2nd....
the pedigree argument
.... the "they deserve a chance at a state title " argument

IF SJ wins the section it will be their 2nd section title in 3yrs....with a runnerup the 3rd yr.

2 yrs ago they lost in the D5 NORCAL final to ESP...
last yr they lost to WEST CAPMUS in the D4 NORCAL FINAL...

BOTH of those teams won their state championship game..

In other words their resume has been top notch the last 3 seasons....

How many passes do they get??? They had LEGIT chances the last 2 yrs to win a state title.

3RD...
Yea but their SOS/maxpreps rankings are lower than everyone else

Oh really?
Have you actually looked at their schedule (outside of league)?
Their league schedule stinks..no doubt...and the MAXPREPS computer punishes them for it.
The exact OPPOSITE of Presentation HS who the computer LOVES because of their league.

Non League schedule
Oregon City
(w) 70-56

CLET (w) 55-54

Valley Christian SJ (w) 61-48

REDONDO UNION (25-5) top 20 in state Cal hi and maxpreps (L) 50-48
Mark Keppel (29-4) 63rd by max preps (w) 61-49

MITTY (L) 70-48 a game where SJ was down 1 going into the 4th...and where SJ went
TOE 2 TOE against a FULLY LOADED MITTY squad. How has MITTY done against the other OPEN potential teams? SJ with a 22 pt loss? that is EXTREMELY impressive!!!

PW (L) 64-36 PW also beat BOD by 28, CLET by 26, Presentation by 27

SALESIAN (L) 50-41

so by my calculations SJ has played 8 VERY good opponents in their non league schedule
and they have gone 4-4

with wins over a probable OPEN team CLET, an EXCELLENT M Keppel team from Socal and a close loss to a top 20 team(Redondo U) by 2 in a battle...

AND gave MITTY (the #1 team in the country...FULLY LOADED WITH NO INJURIES)
one of their toughest games of their season....
other notable MITTY wins??
RIVERDALE (TENN) by 14
BOD by 34 & 22
McClatchy by 51
Chaminade by 43
FOLSOM by 49
CLET by 14

St Joes 22???

CMON NCP Board...give SJ the credit and due they deserve.

I think the NCP board is just overlooking SJ because the name doesn't leap out at you like the other squads do....

BUT based on their resume.....head to head, notable wins and good losses?

SJND is DEFINITELY an OPEN team

Great breakdown, hard to argue those facts.

Ill Shoot it..

1. SJND
2. O'dowd
3. ESP
4. Bear Creek
5. Presentation
6. Heritage
7. Antelope
8. Campolindo
9. Pleasant Valley
10. SHCP
11. Castro Valley
12. C. Oaks
13. St. Ignatious
14. Valley Christian
15. West Campus
16. M-A

D2.
1. SSF
2. Edison
3. SF
4. McClatchy
I’m new to the forum but I just wanted to jump in here. I think the committee has some tough decisions to make in a short period of time. Do you think CCS performance outweighs performance in the regular season? For example, SF beat VC twice in league but would VC go to D1 based on them (presumably) winning CCS?

I’m new to the forum but I just wanted to jump in here. I think the committee has some tough decisions to make in a short period of time. Do you think CCS performance outweighs performance in the regular season? For example, SF beat VC twice in league but would VC go to D1 based on them (presumably) winning CCS?
By pulling AM, SF and Pres into the Open division, it is already implied/assumed that they would beat VC and therefore, all teams in open SHOULD be placed ahead of every division winner. If they win, they could be the 9th highest team from the ccs.. but thats the highest in my mind.

in latest maxpreps rankings updated today, SF is 21 in Norcal, SI 22 and SHC 24. VC is 27. Top 24 are in Open and D1 brackets theoretically, so VC would drop down to D2 bracket (they would probably prefer that too-might have good chance to make nice run in Norcals).

D-1 has so many possibilities it's almost a crap shoot at this point. But barring any upsets (i.e. all higher seeds win in section championships) the open:
1) Mitty
2) St. Mary's (Stockton)
3) Folsom (head-to-head win over Salesian)
4) Salesian (head-to-head win over Pinewood)
5) Pinewood (head-to-head win over Carondelet)
6) Carondelet (head-to-head win over Miramonte)
7) Miramonte
8) Cardinal Newman
Bishop O'Dowd would likely be in if they beat Miramonte. Pinewood and CN would obviously move up (maybe 6th for CN) if they win their section finals. Pinewood #1 or #2 if they beat Mitty, which at this point of the season would trump an early season loss to Salesian.

Last edited:
So what about SJND with a head-to-head over Carondelet?

So what about SJND with a head-to-head over Carondelet?
Because it won't be between them and Carondelet for the 8th seed. If that was so then SJND would have the edge. My picks are what I think will happen, not necessarily my opinion. Would love to see Coach Hip have a chance at the open, although being an 8th seed and going to Mitty may be less preferable than a high (possible #1) D-1 seed.

Guess head to head doesn't matter. Maybe Eastside should go to the open instead of Cn and MM..

Guess head to head doesn't matter. Maybe gher ranking in both Cal-Hi and MaxPrepsEastside should go to the open instead of Cn and MM..
Head to Head matters. Read my post again as I said SJND would have the edge if between them and C-Let for the 8th seed. But their is no Head to Head between CN and SJND. Again not my opinion just what I think will happen. The committee will look a lot at MaxPreps rankings and Cal-Hi Sports rankings and recommendations and CN has the edge in those two in ranking and SOS.

My opinion, I saw SJND play Mitty and give them a heck of a game. They can play with anyone, but so can CN. I think PV may be given some consideration for the open as well, but in the end I think they'll go with CN. I think if they do go with SJND they have a very good case for the 6th seed based on that H2H.

Last edited:
Reactions: basketba11
Head to Head matters. Read my post again as I said SJND would have the edge if between them and C-Let for the 8th seed. But their is no Head to Head between CN and SJND. Again not my opinion just what I think will happen. The committee will look a lot at MaxPreps rankings and Cal-Hi Sports rankings and recommendations and CN has the edge in those two in ranking and SOS.

My opinion, I saw SJND play Mitty and give them a heck of a game. They can play with anyone, but so can CN. I think PV may be given some consideration for the open as well, but in the end I think they'll go with CN. I think if they do go with SJND they have a very good case for the 6th seed based on that H2H.
If CN wins of course their in if they don't I don't see any quality wins. Best win is #4 seed of the ccs open. St Joes would have a win vs D1 NCS Section Champ, better than anything CN or MM have done in the NCS. St Joe's would be the 6, C-Let the 7(win over MM), then O'Dowd/MM winner or another section winner. St Joe's max preps numbers aren't good for St Joe's because of their league and I don't see how you can say if St Joe's gets in their the 6 and if they don't Cn would be the 8. You make the case St Joe's would be seeded ahead of CN,C-Let and MM. Still more games to see how it plays out should be interesting and Good Luck to all.

West Campus is defending state champs.
The have won back to back section titles.
They have a girl going to UCLA
They have a girl going to Cal st Bakersfield
They are 24-7 and have won 17 in a row.
Their closest game in section playoff was 18 pts.

BY EVERY CRITERIA THEY ARE AN OPEN TEAM

Last edited:
By pulling AM, SF and Pres into the Open division, it is already implied/assumed that they would beat VC and therefore, all teams in open SHOULD be placed ahead of every division winner. If they win, they could be the 9th highest team from the ccs.. but thats the highest in my mind.
Does that mean that Menlo would also be pulled into D1 since they were in open and had a higher seed than SF? No one seems to be predicting that Menlo will be in D1.

West Campus is defending state champs.
The have won back to back section titles.
They have a girl going to UCLA
They have a girl going to Cal st Bakersfield
They are 24-7 and have won 17 in a row.
Their closest game in section playoff was 18 pts.

BY EVERY CRITERIA THEY ARE AN OPEN TEAM
Again, not necessarily MY opinion as far as where they should go, but I highly doubt the committee puts them in over the previous 8 or SJND. They will likely be a D-1 team and a very tough out.

St. Joes sending quite a statement tonight. I may have to rethink my CN prediction. Either way it will be a very quality team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT