ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Changes Going into 2019

I agree with you, I don;t understand why a school like Berkeley does not have an outstanding football program. I can see having a few down years, but I dont think they have been relevant since Alonzo Carter was the HC. I see a transition of better quality football being played in Sac-Jaq, and Contra Costa County. Even some of the EBAL schools which were staples in the HS football scene have fallen off. The excuse I constantly hear is the demographics, and cost of living. I agree with that in some capacities, but the bottom line is, is if you have a dynamic coach, that inspires kids to want to come and play, you will experience success regardless of the environment. I hope teams like San Leandro, Logan, Encinal, and Berkeley can bring some sort of respect back to teams on the 880 corridor. Starts with bringing in the right person with a vision.

All of which makes the McClymond HS Warriors story that much more incredible. Less than 4 miles/10 minute drivetime between the 2 schools with a student population less than 10% (-300) of BHS (+3000) the Warriors have been to (and won) more State Bowl Games and State Basketball Championships than the Yellow Jackets have sniffed in League playoffs.

Oh, I got you now. Yea, Stone Smartt was from Antelope for sure. He’s playing for Old Dominion next season, heck of a kid, straight A student and he’s 6’ 5” now.

The Grant kid went back to Grant and then quickly transferred to Rocklin (still there), never played much for DO.

Colfax & Placer kids can’t transfer into DO anymore, but they used to for sure. Placer County.

We still have cows, horses, chickens, goats and pigs in Loomis though!
And the 8 kids from Woodcreek and the two from Foothill a few years ago...I believe the Hurst boys are from Colfax? Imagine the program they would have had with them? Lets not leave the center from Lincoln.....the running back from Whitney....This years QB who was suspended a season for the transfer? I don't have enough brain power to remember the list but one thing is for sure....they didn't win with just the kids from the "little town of Loomis".
The 'Placer County All Stars" are no more....

and as I understand there is no more open district so I suspect the talent pool to drop off......This year is the last of the prior programs players.....not saying they won't be good, they have a solid coaching staff.....it's hard to sustain the level if the talent falls off.......I suspect Folsom will also suffer the same in the next few years....??

Ridgeview (CA): JV head coach Rich Cornford has been promoted to head coach while former head coach Dennis Manning moves to Offensive Coordinator.

Clovis North (CA): Clovis East assistant Mike Jacot is the new head coach. Also former Clovis West head coach George Peterissians is joining the staff as Offensive Coordinator.

McLane (CA): Merced College assistant Bonner Cunnings is the new head coach. Former head coach J.D. Burnett is taking over as Athletic Director.

Madera (CA): Offensive Coordinator Kenny Paolnelli has been promoted to head coach.

The “pulse” of the community, which is highly intertwined with demographics, is a huge factor with whether a HS is focusing more on academics (isn’t that the basis of education) than athletics. Berkeley HS, a mere four blocks from the world renowned U, mirrors that.
As I have a NMS, I follow those trends.
stats 2018:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.me...it-scholarships-2018-semifinalists-named/amp/

Taking geo represented samples one might find a private with greater draw for the “smart” kids (families,) but based on this small sample, not really.
Moreau-1
BOD-1
MSJ- 90

or Danville
Athenian- zero
SRV-1
Monte Vista- 12
Cal-8
Dougherty- 50! FIFTY!

and Concord/WC
CVC-2, LL-1, CP-1
NG, MD, YV, Clet, dLS- nada

Interestingly, The Bentley School in Lafayette at $41,000/Year had.....one.
Acalanes-4, Campo- zero

I have to agree with posters above that the Administration can be a help to a program, but less so a hindrance. Our direct public experience (with tightly controlled boundaries) was after 27/30 losing seasons. A dynamic coach arrived and in his 6 seasons,
the first was sub-.500, almost beat the machine...twice. Got thumped a few times too. Since his kids graduated in years 8/9, and essentially total staff turnover, that hopeful window appears closed. I’m convinced superior coaching, with adequate talent are the chief ingredients. Add a mixer of community enthusiasm and you might catch lightning in the bottle.

Reactions: remc and concrete17
And the 8 kids from Woodcreek and the two from Foothill a few years ago...I believe the Hurst boys are from Colfax? Imagine the program they would have had with them? Lets not leave the center from Lincoln.....the running back from Whitney....This years QB who was suspended a season for the transfer? I don't have enough brain power to remember the list but one thing is for sure....they didn't win with just the kids from the "little town of Loomis".
The 'Placer County All Stars" are no more....

and as I understand there is no more open district so I suspect the talent pool to drop off......This year is the last of the prior programs players.....not saying they won't be good, they have a solid coaching staff.....it's hard to sustain the level if the talent falls off.......I suspect Folsom will also suffer the same in the next few years....??

I never said they did, you read that in to your own response. My rebuttal was there are kids from three cities namely Lincoln, Roseville and Rocklin at DO all theee cities are in Placer County. Adjacent towns to Loomis/Penryn/Newcastle. Colfax is in Placer Cointy as well. You can say the same about Rocklin, Granite Bay, and Whitney. They all have kids from outside their geography. Hurst boys live in Loomis. But the three counties comment only fits if you span years.

I’ve NEVER said our kids are only from Loomis. 20% of the kids that graduate from Del Oro don’t live in Loomis/Penryn/Newcastle but all the other schools in the area have kids attend outside their geography as well.

How many kids in GB’s football program are from Rocklin, or Roseville High or Oakmont? How many Whitney kids are from Lincoln or Roseville?

Most of the kids on the team are from Loomis/Penryn/Newcastle.

That center was from Newcastle. QB last year is from Roseville. He did sit out a year. All the rest went to CC to follow CT.

And none of them are playing at the next level but the QB from Antelope.

Finally, if no kids were allowed to attend Del Oro outside the boundaries, then the school population would be under 1400 and they would be a D 4 or D 5 school, so can't really say they still wouldn't be successful cause most of the kids who play are local and the program is built on a strong foundation.

Folsom likely to come back to earth.

Last edited:
Its fairly competitive but certainly helps if you have ability to work on campus. Not sure why he threw Folsom out there, as they are not going to go too far outside of area to hire a coach. If they did it wouldnt be random it would be a clear search for a particular individual.

That's what I imagined. Interviewed for a job recently, but went with another candidate.

Appreciate this feedback.

Whats the latest on these jobs...

Folsom
College Park
Modesto Christian
Christian Brothers
Livermore
Dublin

Anyone got any insite?

SPortela24, do you know this first hand? Tell us whom in the administration told you this? This was different than what was told at the annual luncheon (were you there?) or in any and all recent announcements...

Actions speak louder than words. They have been talking about building this new stadium for over 10 years.

Did Morris get fired?

Any updates on the Grant job? Skimmed threw and didn’t see anything. Heard yesterday that it is open and that they are trying get Blanton at Jesuit.

Any updates on the Grant job? Skimmed threw and didn’t see anything. Heard yesterday that it is open and that they are trying get Blanton at Jesuit.

Wow, hadn’t heard that. Interesting changes coming in the SJS.

Last edited:
Surprised he stepped down...he was doing well at Wood...smh! Him got Napa? I wud not be surprised...smh...wut is gonna happened to Wood now?

Woodcreek (Roseville, CA): Woodcreek HS (Roseville, CA) is looking for position coaches at all levels (Frosh/JV/Varsity) we MAY have teaching openings (as they become available we will update this site). Please contact HC Brad Hunkins at bhunkins@rjuhsd.us.

Reactions: coachlittle
Modesto Christian hires Ryan Green as Head Football Coach. I believe this is his first head coaching position. Not sure he has any coaching experience. Expect his son, Beau to transfer from Downey to be with his Dad at MC.

Here is an article about the Modesto Christian hire. Crusaders looking to go all in for football - https://www.frontrowpreps.com/posts...ach-at-modesto-christian#.XEeE2gkByEM.twitter

Justin Reber going from El Dorado to Bella Vista? BV has put some money into the football field the past year but that is a program that is pretty far behind right now

Is Grant actually open? Thrown out as common knowledge that I hadn't heard.

Here is an article about the Modesto Christian hire. Crusaders looking to go all in for football - https://www.frontrowpreps.com/posts...ach-at-modesto-christian#.XEeE2gkByEM.twitter

Justin Reber going from El Dorado to Bella Vista? BV has put some money into the football field the past year but that is a program that is pretty far behind right now

Is Grant actually open? Thrown out as common knowledge that I hadn't heard.
From El Dorado to Hartnell to Bella Vista......wow

Posted in a separate thread, but Joe Cattolico stepped down at Sheldon.

Very good coach stepping away and a pretty good opening on the market.

Napa (CA): Napa HS has hired former Tennessee Titans offensive assistant Richie Wessman as the new head coach, per source. Hessman played quarterback at USC in the early 2000s.

Reactions: MaoliFighter
The “pulse” of the community, which is highly intertwined with demographics, is a huge factor with whether a HS is focusing more on academics (isn’t that the basis of education) than athletics. Berkeley HS, a mere four blocks from the world renowned U, mirrors that.
As I have a NMS, I follow those trends.
stats 2018:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.me...it-scholarships-2018-semifinalists-named/amp/

Taking geo represented samples one might find a private with greater draw for the “smart” kids (families,) but based on this small sample, not really.
Moreau-1
BOD-1
MSJ- 90

or Danville
Athenian- zero
SRV-1
Monte Vista- 12
Cal-8
Dougherty- 50! FIFTY!

and Concord/WC
CVC-2, LL-1, CP-1
NG, MD, YV, Clet, dLS- nada

Interestingly, The Bentley School in Lafayette at $41,000/Year had.....one.
Acalanes-4, Campo- zero

I have to agree with posters above that the Administration can be a help to a program, but less so a hindrance. Our direct public experience (with tightly controlled boundaries) was after 27/30 losing seasons. A dynamic coach arrived and in his 6 seasons,
the first was sub-.500, almost beat the machine...twice. Got thumped a few times too. Since his kids graduated in years 8/9, and essentially total staff turnover, that hopeful window appears closed. I’m convinced superior coaching, with adequate talent are the chief ingredients. Add a mixer of community enthusiasm and you might catch lightning in the bottle.
Question for you 1315. Are Monte Vista and SRV also strict boundary public’s?

Yes and no. Cal has been for 15+ years at max enrollment. DoVal at 3000+ (!) is getting there.
MV and SRV much less so, especially since DoVal opened in 07. Because the two Danville schools have never exceeded max enrollment they allowed boundary exceptions. But there is little academic/athletic disparity (save MV polo) that families decide more on friend/carpool issues if they’re on the borders.

Last edited:
Yes and no. Cal has been for 15+ years at max enrollment. DoVal at 3000+ (!) is getting there.
MV and SRV much less so, especially since DoVal opened in 07. Because the two Danville schools have never exceeded max enrollment they allowed boundary exceptions. But there is little academic/athletic disparity (save MV polo) that families decide more on friend/carpool issues if they’re on the borders.
My other question would be about how the opening of Dougherty Valley has affected the football fortunes of MV, SRV, and Cal. Which school has it hurt the most?

Zero impact....well for the reasons you might think. Most recently, DoVal’s SAT/ACT stratospheric levels far eclipse Cal-MV-SRV. Five times as many Nat’l Merit Scholars as each and twice as many as those three combined. As you may recall, Bergman at MV and Dave Kravitz at SRV were formidable late 90’s-2007. Kravitz had two NCS titles while Bergman would’ve had more if not D1. They both put out multiple FBS signees. Then Sanchez resurrected Cal, who then beat
MV first time ever back to back and had Bergman’s #. Ironically DK was disappointed with his AD, and moved over to Cal as the QB/passing game Coordinator in the new guy’s second year, ‘10. That was the 9-0 week 10 deLa game, the “onside kick” penalty which probably would’ve ended the NorCal streak. (The Grizzlies then got throttled at the Coliseum by Sparta.) DK was not invited back to the staff for ‘12, and he moved to DoVal first as AD, now their principal.

Although indirect to DoVal, THAT was the biggest impact, IMO, of anything DoVal’s influence on the other schools. Kravitz is a fine leader and deserved moving up the compensation ladder (college is not cheap) , even though it effectively removed his headset. To be coached by all those minds at one time or another was pretty special.

Brandon Black of Dougherty Valley will be named HC at Dublin I heard. DV going through through 2 coaches in as many seasons. DV beat Dublin, wonder why he would jump ship. Must be a better long term outlook at Dublin. Still no word on Livermore?

Brandon Black of Dougherty Valley will be named HC at Dublin I heard. DV going through through 2 coaches in as many seasons. DV beat Dublin, wonder why he would jump ship. Must be a better long term outlook at Dublin. Still no word on Livermore?

I think the Dublin demographic is more appealing to a football coach, and with all the housing going up on the north side of 580, the population has got to be right up there with DV (3000?) soon. A change like that to a school just 2 miles away is unusual.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT