ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Changes Going into 2019

I think the Dublin demographic is more appealing to a football coach, and with all the housing going up on the north side of 580, the population has got to be right up there with DV (3000?) soon. A change like that to a school just 2 miles away is unusual.
One of the problems with Dublin is a large number of houses are Condo''s, which means not very stable homes..The new homes under construction on the northside of 580 are homes and no Condo's....This also means another high school in the future which will take up all the new housing...

7-3 Freshman squad and a good amount of returning seniors at Dublin. The Coach will have something to work with.

Garces (CA): Bakersfiled HS (CA) head coach Paul Golla is the new head coach at Garces.

Hemet (CA): Dennis Gregovich is the new head coach of the program.

Napa (CA): Napa HS, an amazing place with a storied football history and amazing stadium, is looking for assistant football coaches. All positions will be considered. Teacher positions are possible. Interested coaches can contact head coach Richie Wessman at richie_wessman@nvusd.org.

Harbor High (CA): Harbor High School located in Santa Cruz, CA has an immediate need for positive role models & passionate “Football” people who are interested in coaching in this Program at the Varsity and JV level. (Possible JV offensive and defensive Coordinator positions available to right person). All Interested candidates are encouraged to apply; regardless of desired position. Contact Head Coach James Gaynor at JGaynor@sccs.net

Garces (CA): Bakersfiled HS (CA) head coach Paul Golla is the new head coach at Garces.

Hemet (CA): Dennis Gregovich is the new head coach of the program.

Napa (CA): Napa HS, an amazing place with a storied football history and amazing stadium, is looking for assistant football coaches. All positions will be considered. Teacher positions are possible. Interested coaches can contact head coach Richie Wessman at richie_wessman@nvusd.org.

Harbor High (CA): Harbor High School located in Santa Cruz, CA has an immediate need for positive role models & passionate “Football” people who are interested in coaching in this Program at the Varsity and JV level. (Possible JV offensive and defensive Coordinator positions available to right person). All Interested candidates are encouraged to apply; regardless of desired position. Contact Head Coach James Gaynor at JGaynor@sccs.net
About how long ago did the Napa Indians become the Grizzlies?
What a shame, I guess the school dist.felt they were offending the Indians??….Now they join a major group of schools that have changed their mascot also....The population will now start looking for something else to complain about..

Archbishop Riordan's new coach is Mark Modeste. Former coach at Strake Jesuit - Texas and Sacred Heart Prep - Atherton.

Scotts Valley (CA): Per source, the head coaching job is open.

Archbishop Riordan (San Francisco, CA): Archbishop Riordan HS is seeking Offensive and Defensive Coordinators and Assistant Coaches (in all positions) for the 2019-2020 Season. For more more information, please visit their website.

Honest question based on situation and expectations, but is Berkeley a better job than Berean Christian?

I don't know any details of job offer, which could make the difference

Honest question based on situation and expectations, but is Berkeley a better job than Berean Christian?

I don't know any details of job offer, which could make the difference

Hard to think he’d get a pay raise going from a private to a cash strapped public.

Hard to think he’d get a pay raise going from a private to a cash strapped public.
True, but the publics have CALSTRS pensions whereas privates can exist for two reasons: they’re tax exempt and they do not offer retirement plans (non-unionized.) Because they allow uncredentialed teachers, they have a different applicant pool; I.e. cheaper. Plenty of coaches find publics, put in their 30, and get the ave. of last three years ‘til pushin’ up daisies. (Let’s see if Thurtzy has a problem with that.)

From my short time working in education I have seen a lot of public school districts with a higher starting salary than most private schools. I imagine that he will be able to carry over his years of experience so he won't be starting at the bottom of the salary scale.

On a side note... I noticed that Berean has posted the AD job. It will be interesting to see how that affects the hiring process.

Still open Peninsula/Bay Area-update

MA (highly desirable you would think)
Terra Nova-close to filled
Fremont (Sunnyvale) filled
Los Altos-open
Del Mar-open
Salinas new HS

Last edited:
Still open Peninsula/Bay Area

Terra Nova (Same as above?)
Fremont (Sunnyvale) Decent talent, good facilities and pay
Los Altos

I'm sure there are more this is off the top of my head.

Regardless if the jobs are attractive or not, the issue is that they are being listed as Part-time positions. They are not being listed with an on campus job. Right away the quality of applicants is going to be cut in half, if not more. Part-time pay for a full-time job is a recipe for burnout. A quality/veteran coach who knows this is not going to apply to these jobs or if they do take it, it's with hopes of getting on campus eventually. But if they cannot, they'll end up leaving after a few years. Case in point: Menlo-Atherton.

Regardless if the jobs are attractive or not, the issue is that they are being listed as Part-time positions. They are not being listed with an on campus job. Right away the quality of applicants is going to be cut in half, if not more. Part-time pay for a full-time job is a recipe for burnout. A quality/veteran coach who knows this is not going to apply to these jobs or if they do take it, it's with hopes of getting on campus eventually. But if they cannot, they'll end up leaving after a few years. Case in point: Menlo-Atherton.

Your comment about a coach wanting to be on campus regarding MA is so far from the truth. Adhir had no intention of ever being bbn on campus at MA. He has a great job outside of campus and he has a desire to still coach but can not devote the time to being the "head coach" because he like all of us need to balance our lives. So to say VC that because he did not get a job on campus is a poor analogy when that can be farther from the truth.

Your comment about a coach wanting to be on campus regarding MA is so far from the truth. Adhir had no intention of ever being bbn on campus at MA. He has a great job outside of campus and he has a desire to still coach but can not devote the time to being the "head coach" because he like all of us need to balance our lives. So to say VC that because he did not get a job on campus is a poor analogy when that can be farther from the truth.

I think you're missing the point of what I have typed.

The point I was making was a general about asking someone to be off campus and head football coach is extremely difficult and unfair to both coach and players. It can be done but does provide a lot of limitations to execute the job.

You are right that I have no idea about the MA situation. I'm not close to it at all. But I also know that they (admin) was looking for a way to get him in the building but couldn't. Why would they be looking for a way to get him in if he didn't "have any intentions?" I think it's safe think that they wouldn't be wasting their time if he wasn't at least open to being on campus given the right situation.

https://paloaltoonline.com/news/2019/03/14/whats-next-for-the-menlo-atherton-football-program

I totally get what your point is, but using MA is a bad example as it does not apply to what you are trying to bring across.

Secondly, you say you are not close to the situation at MA, yet you then say the administration wanted him gone.

If the later of what you say is true, then the administration could have just not renewed his contract as all Sequoia Union High School District (where MA is districtly located) coaching jobs are yearly contract renewals and has been this way for many years. So a non renewal would have been the way the administration could have gone if they wished to get rid of him.

A closer example of what you want to use might have been the Forslund dismissal at Half Moon Bay basketball a few years back.

Last edited:
The problem is not getting him in the building and not being able to do so. The problem was the coach has no desire to work full time at the school as he was doing well in his outside job. The last few years his career (a job he loves and wants) has taken off in a positive direction and thus a shift in balance. The coach still wishes to help out with the program, just not as a head coach but maybe as a position coach or consultant.

Obviously his outside career pays more than being a teacher or on staff at the school, otherwise in 9 years they would have found a way to get him on staff. If he was not willing to accept an offer to join on staff, then there is a wrinkle in your theory.I had heard once before he was offered a job on campus and turned it down but I have no factual evidence to prove that, just rumors that I had heard.

Again, I understand what you are saying, but I think what you are failing to see is what if the coach DID NOT WANT an on campus job because his career right now is what he wants.

And yes, I just reread what you said and I totally understand your reasoning but as I pointed out what of the coach is the one not wanting to be on csmpus? This is where your theory does not hold.

The problem is not getting him in the building and not being able to do so. The problem was the coach has no desire to work full time at the school as he was doing well in his outside job. The last few years his career (a job he loves and wants) has taken off in a positive direction and thus a shift in balance. The coach still wishes to help out with the program, just not as a head coach but maybe as a position coach or consultant.

Obviously his outside career pays more than being a teacher or on staff at the school, otherwise in 9 years they would have found a way to get him on staff. If he was not willing to accept an offer to join on staff, then there is a wrinkle in your theory.I had heard once before he was offered a job on campus and turned it down but I have no factual evidence to prove that, just rumors that I had heard.

Again, I understand what you are saying, but I think what you are failing to see is what if the coach DID NOT WANT an on campus job because his career right now is what he wants.

And yes, I just reread what you said and I totally understand your reasoning but as I pointed out what of the coach is the one not wanting to be on csmpus? This is where your theory does not hold.

Cool. You missed the entire point of my post. The MA position wasn't the focus. But you made it the focus. Good work. I'm not even trying to read that long post you wrote about something I don't really care about, and that wasn't for focus of what I was trying to talk about. But I should have know it would happen on this forum. That's norcalpreps for ya. Lmao.

If MA was not your point then why cite in your scenario? I did not make the first mention of MA, you did. I just simply said using the MA situation as an example was a poor choice for your scenario.

Citations are used to back up arguments to make your point. If your citations are false or not true, then your point could not be seen

Just pointing out that using bad examples can cost be harmful to the point you are trying to make. If you had not mentioned the event you referenced, your point is spot on 1000%. Thankfully you are finally seeing that using a bad example is what I was driving at.

Citations are used to back up arguments to make your point. If your citations are false or not true, then your point could not be seen

Just pointing out that using bad examples can cost be harmful to the point you are trying to make. If you had not mentioned the event you referenced, your point is spot on 1000%. Thankfully you are finally seeing that using a bad example is what I was driving at.
Just another case of a keyboard warrior on this forum seeking out something in a post that isn't the focus and talking about it until it becomes the focus.

Updated

Terra Nova-close to filled
Fremont (Sunnyvale) filled
Los Altos-open
Del Mar-open
Salinas new HS (Rancho San Juan)

Been doing my research and it sounds like former Cap AND Carlmont Coach Ben White will be the guy at Terra Nova. Interesting hire if you ask me. White was quoted in the SM Daily Journal 5 years ago when he took the Cap job as saying he and his wife were ready to return to the San Francisco area where they're from. But, when he left for Orosi 2 years ago he was quoted as saying he just wanted to get back to the Central Valley where the cost of living was more reasonable and football was king.

I figure it's not Jake Messina as Carlmont is trending upward and has recently invested a **** ton of money into their football program. Call me crazy but I actually think Carlmont is a better job than Terra Nova if Bill Gray isn't part of the package.

Been doing my research and it sounds like former Cap AND Carlmont Coach Ben White will be the guy at Terra Nova. Interesting hire if you ask me. White was quoted in the SM Daily Journal 5 years ago when he took the Cap job as saying he and his wife were ready to return to the San Francisco area where they're from. But, when he left for Orosi 2 years ago he was quoted as saying he just wanted to get back to the Central Valley where the cost of living was more reasonable and football was king.

I figure it's not Jake Messina as Carlmont is trending upward and has recently invested a **** ton of money into their football program. Call me crazy but I actually think Carlmont is a better job than Terra Nova if Bill Gray isn't part of the package.

Plus the salary and benefits are far better at Carlmont.

Plus the salary and benefits are far better at Carlmont.

Eh....I bet the pay is better but from what I heard that JUHSD has one of the better benefits packages out there.

At the end of the day, any situation is what you make of if. Five years ago you would have been laughed at if you said Carlmont was a better job than Terra Nova. Bill Gray retires. Carlmont hires Messina. Tim Adams is fired and just like that Carlmont is a far better job. And before anyone points to the fact that guys aren't lining up to coach at Mills, Mike Tenerowicz won there.

Carlmont (Belmont, CA): Carlmont HS is looking for a varsity assistant to coach running backs and linebackers. DC could be a possibility. We are a high paying district with great benefits. Currently have Spanish and Mod/Mild Sped positions available. If interested email resume to HC Jake Messina at gmessina@seq.org.

Carlmont (Belmont, CA): Carlmont HS is looking for a varsity assistant to coach running backs and linebackers. DC could be a possibility. We are a high paying district with great benefits. Currently have Spanish and Mod/Mild Sped positions available. If interested email resume to HC Jake Messina at gmessina@seq.org.

I'm wondering if the new hire at TN is Carlmont DC Tim Netane. Someone mentioned a former Carlmont and Cap guy. Well, Netane was at Mills from what I know; which is Cap's rival. He was the DC at Carlmont last season and did a good job.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the new hire at TN is Carlmont DC Tim Netane. Someone mentioned a former Carlmont and Cap guy. Well, Netane was at Mills from what I know; which is Cap's rival. He was the DC at Carlmont last season and did a good job.

My understanding is that it is neither of these two. The coach that is being hired is Marcus Farhad who was (I believe) the head coach at Carlmont and also helped at Cap. That is why there has been some confusion on this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT