ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching jobs

HSfan82

Sports Fanatic
Dec 10, 2013
what's the word on any coaching changes?? What jobs are open, who is moving??

I just read that Menlo-Atherton has parted ways with their coach. There is a thread on this forum with more comments.

https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2019/12/16/papin-will-not-return-to-coach-m-a-football-next-year

“Making a coaching change is never easy,’’ Menlo-Atherton athletic director Steven Kryger wrote in a press release. “We are extremely grateful to Coach Papin for all of the time and effort he put into M-A football, but at this time we feel it is in the best interest of our program to go in a different direction. We wish Coach Papin all the best as he moves forward. We will post the position and begin the search for our next coach immediately.’’

M-A went 7-4 this past season in Papin’s one year as head coach. The Bears were coming off a state championship the previous season with Adhir Ravipati as head coach.

Papin, a former star running back in the Arena Football League, previously coached at Independence and Gunderson high schools in San Jose.

Nate Smith tweeted that Cal, Heritage, Hercules, San Ramon, Bishop O’Dowd and Dougherty Valley are the NCS jobs open

West Park HS is a brand new high school in west Roseville. It just posted for the Head Football position.

I Heard the San Ramon Schools are cutting funding to pay coaches stipends etc. Not sure if this is true, but one of the main reasons Billeci stepped down at CAL high.

I Heard the San Ramon Schools are cutting funding to pay coaches stipends etc. Not sure if this is true, but one of the main reasons Billeci stepped down at CAL high.

Seems very short sighted. Is this the final move to de-emphasize winning football programs? Is there more to this?

That is not true and Eric did not get along well with the admin which along with having a young family played a big part of him stepping down. SRV is not open at this time.

I heard that Foothill JV coach Johnny Millard is inquiring about Cal High varsity job and if chosen will bring his staff from Foothill

Nate Smith tweeted that Cal, Heritage, Hercules, San Ramon, Bishop O’Dowd and Dougherty Valley are the NCS jobs open

To clear up any confusion, Nate Smith didn’t tweet that about San Ramon. It looks like a typo here on the boards.

Reactions: Paloma
To clear up any confusion, Nate Smith didn’t tweet that about San Ramon. It looks like a typo here on the boards.

There's something cooking regarding the head coaching job at SRV and we will know much more in early January. I decline to say anything more at this point.

I heard this through the grapevine as well. Interesting. I haven't seen anything reported on it though.
Maybe because certain programs couldn’t generate enough interest to field frosh teams, thus, you lose the $. There’s a ncp/Cal dad, 5 years postpartum, who still gathers info.

Maybe because certain programs couldn’t generate enough interest to field frosh teams, thus, you lose the $. There’s a ncp/Cal dad, 5 years postpartum, who still gathers info.

I heard from a reliable source that starting next year coaches can still be paid but the money must come from fundraising. SRV and Monte Vista may still be able to pay their coaches but Cal High and DV won't.

I didn't think that coaches could be paid from fundraising? If they could then that could start a bidding war from the booster organizations. I mean who would control the amount that could be paid to a coach? And if schools are no longer going to pay coaches, what is the incentive for anyone to coach there?

I didn't think that coaches could be paid from fundraising? If they could then that could start a bidding war from the booster organizations. I mean who would control the amount that could be paid to a coach? And if schools are no longer going to pay coaches, what is the incentive for anyone to coach there?
Uh, this already occurs. How do you think some assistants get paid.

I heard from a reliable source that starting next year coaches can still be paid but the money must come from fundraising. SRV and Monte Vista may still be able to pay their coaches but Cal High and DV won't.

But all 4 are in the same district (SRVUSD), so I don’t see how they could pay for coaches at some schools and not others?

But all 4 are in the same district (SRVUSD), so I don’t see how they could pay for coaches at some schools and not others?

I believe the cost to play football at SRV and MV is higher than it is at DV and CHS. Therefore, there’s more money to pay coaches at those schools.

Reactions: observer22
It might be grant money that covers coaches salary. There are 4 elementary schools in the school district where I live, 3 had a free after school program, 1 didn't. My kid went to the one that didn't so i had to pay $200/month. Reason, grant money ran out.

Assistants getting paid - Schools I've been at have specific stipends for the coaches on staff - Had 9 stipends at the last school, 3 frosh, 3 JV, 3 varsity. Everybody else was a volunteer. Got them all shirts and hats and such, but no financial compensation. Some schools have had a total stipend pool that was split between the 'real' coaches. Usually to get a stipend the coach was technically classified as a part-time district employee. My last school had a pool of $21k for coaches stipends. My last year there the board changed the policy so each stipend had to be assigned to a specific coach, not spread as desired. This was a union thing so long-term coaches got a bump each year. This was not funded by boosters or fundraising or anything, it was a district expense. I've not been at a school where any coach received any financial compensation from any entity other than from the school.

And when I was coaching down in the Bay it was made clear to the coaches that the 'pay to play' was a donation, it was not a requirement. Why? It was a public school and everyone can play, regardless of economic status. The school had it setup where the players had to do their check in with the office - physical, grades, pay-to-play, whatever else. The players would then bring the Yellow Sheet to the coach which meant he was cleared to play. Coaches were NOT to know who had donated or not, didn't want the coaches to possibly treat kids differently based on who had donated and who had not. I think a portion of those funds went to the coaches and operations, but it wasn't a booster/fundraising thing. Compensation gets into taxes and employee status and insurance and such. Not just a matter of holding a bake sale and splitting the money with the coaches.

But, what do I know, I have a limited experience with this area,

Reactions: THEOC89
With all this discussion of pay to play and coaches salaries, are we nearing the end of high school football as we know it? What does the future look like? Club football? I can't help but think that all these moms that won't allow their sons to play youth and/or high school football will have a major impact on the quality of play at the NCAA and professional levels.

Reactions: THEOC89
Individual districts manage compensation how they see fit. In lean years, many districts have cut stipends altogether. Some say no outside fundraising for stipends in any manner, some say outside sources are okay and do what you like. Some even provide $100 per game bonuses for playoff wins. What may be true in one district/school, may be different in other school/district.

There's a fresh wrinkle in all of this. A new state law goes into effect Jan.1 that, in part, limits what a free-lancer/consultant can do in a calendar year to just 35 assignments. It's unclear how that would apply to walk-on coaches who are not employed by a public school district. The aim of the new law, authored by a Democrat, is to try to force employers to hire people full-time and, as a result, add to labor union rolls. Another progressive gift to the people of the Golden State. The law is being challenged in court.

Last edited:
There's a fresh wrinkle in all of this. A new state law goes into effect Jan.1 that limits what a free-lancer/consultant can do in a calendar year to just 35 assignments. It's unclear how that would apply to walk-on coaches who are not employed by a public school district. The aim of the new law, authored by a Democrat, is to try to force employers to hire people full-time and, as a result, add to labor union rolls. Another progressive gift to the people of the Golden State.
you can always move to wyoming

For public schools everyone must adhere to the state education code. Public education is "free and clear" meaning that any dollar donated is just that, a donation and can never be mandated. The other key point of this law is that EVERY dollar fund-raised by a student athlete must be spent on students. It cannot be spent on coaches stipends, coaches gear, etc. If boosters raise these funds without the student athlete then the funds can be used in whatever manner that organization chooses to do with it.

How about the new school in Roseville? West Park High school. Looks like it could be a promising place...imo....Who are the front runners?

There's a fresh wrinkle in all of this. A new state law goes into effect Jan.1 that, in part, limits what a free-lancer/consultant can do in a calendar year to just 35 assignments. It's unclear how that would apply to walk-on coaches who are not employed by a public school district. The aim of the new law, authored by a Democrat, is to try to force employers to hire people full-time and, as a result, add to labor union rolls. Another progressive gift to the people of the Golden State. The law is being challenged in court.
What part of the ABC stipulation do you think AB5 would put Districts in jeopardy?

Exactly. Parts A and B are moot. C might be litigated. The bias is clear. Not everything in CA is labor driven, or “left”, or forcing “full time employment.”

Ask some coaches how they get and distribute stipends before complaining.

With all this discussion of pay to play and coaches salaries, are we nearing the end of high school football as we know it? What does the future look like? Club football? I can't help but think that all these moms that won't allow their sons to play youth and/or high school football will have a major impact on the quality of play at the NCAA and professional levels.

Without High School Football and Basketball and to some extent Baseball, It would truly have a major impact on the college and pros. I have said in the past, it is in Major League Sports self interest, to create a general fund to support High School sports.

Here's wishing you great football

Have any of of these jobs been filled...

Cal High
MA
O’Dowd
Heritage
Piedmont
Alameda

I think most of the semesters are over. Off season should be up and running by now at most programs. What’s the latest?

Reactions: MC415
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT