ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching jobs

Apparently Hartwig won’t be the next Heritage head man. Front runner is Ron Rivers and some other former assistant that used to be at Freedom and Los Medanos College. I don’t remember his name.

Interested to see who gets that Cal job

l....to see who gets that Cal job

It’d behoove the Cal admins to research opinions outside the current program. The kids “know” the schneid better than any parent...too incestuous. If I were the AD/Principal the first people I’d talk to were the ones who had BOTH previous regimes: JR’s on Sanchez’ last year and SRs in Billeci’s first. In fact, EB had a future FBS QB his first year going 5-6....he learned some. And of course Sanchez was one of only THREE in US history to leap from HS to FBS. It’s routine in this day and age of employment search to reach out to people OUTSIDE those listed as references.

But I doubt that’ll happen. People are lazy about this stuff. When Cal High’s baseball HC was fired in ‘12, days after their NCS D1 loss to deLa 3-2, for several reasons one’d think when he applied in ‘18 to get his job back the new admins/AD would’ve at least contacted 12’s Captains/two D1 recruits.....nope. Apathy or stupidity, that’s simply bogus. I feel for the kids when such a laissez-faire attitude can REALLY affect the team’s and individual aspirations.

Bellarmine has posted openings for an Offensive Coordinator and
Defensive coach on their web site

I just received a text that DLS defensive coordinator coach Edison has decided to call it a career. I believe he also handled all the special teams. I don’t know weather or not he will stick around and help with the transition of new DC. I’m sure who ever it is that takes over has been coaching under him for a while.

Eidson’s move coincides with Ladouceur’s full retirifrom dLS this Spring.
I just received a text that DLS defensive coordinator coach Edison has decided to call it a career. I believe he also handled all the special teams. I don’t know weather or not he will stick around and help with the transition of new DC. I’m sure who ever it is that takes over has been coaching under him for a while.

Not surprising as wingman Ladouceur is retiring as a teacher at dLS this Spring.

Many think he has been as responsible for the DLS powerhouse over the years as Lad. Having both of them leave the sidelines at the same time would be a major shift in the program, but I'm sure they have been preparing for this for a long time. They're leaving the program in great shape.

Many think he has been as responsible for the DLS powerhouse over the years as Lad. Having both of them leave the sidelines at the same time would be a major shift in the program, but I'm sure they have been preparing for this for a long time. They're leaving the program in great shape.

2019 was Ladouceur’s first year not as a full time coach (“It’s too hot out there in the summer”) but he still roamed the sideline during games. I don’t believe either of them will be seen, ever, sitting in the stands. Wouldn’t it be great if they led the new east Dublin high school program (close to Lads crib.2) and actually prove that a boundary public, (a start up at that!) could beat The Machine?

Reactions: observer22
Word on the street that the new Cal High head coach will be former Chabot head coach Calcagno

Looks like it would be a solid hire. That would make sense as his kids go there. From a Chabot article in 2017 after he left:

“Calcagno's Gladiators won six conference championships (2004, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015) during his high successful run, advancing to the state playoffs twice (2014, 2015) and winning the 2015 Bulldog Bowl championship.

He was conference coach of the year six times and state coach of the year once. He was also a successful coach and two-sport athlete at San Leandro High, Chabot, and starred at Sonoma State. He was drafted by the San Francisco Giants, and played as a free agent in the Milwaukee Brewers organization.

Calcagno is being inducted this year in the San Leandro Sports Foundation Hall of Fame.

Even though he's still a fulltime Chabot instructor, it was hard for him to step down from the football.

"Some days I really miss it and wish I didn't, and then most of my days I'm happy that I did," Calcagno says with a laugh. "My wife (Cheri) is very happy. It's definitely relieved some of her stress. I just didn't realize how much time football took."

Now he's freed up to spend more time with his kids. His daughters (Maddi and Ally) are active in sports at California High in San Ramon, and his athletic sons (Jake and Josh) are in fifth grade and seventh grade.”

Looks like it would be a solid hire. That would make sense as his kids go there. From a Chabot article in 2017 after he left:

“Calcagno's Gladiators won six conference championships (2004, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015) during his high successful run, advancing to the state playoffs twice (2014, 2015) and winning the 2015 Bulldog Bowl championship.

He was conference coach of the year six times and state coach of the year once. He was also a successful coach and two-sport athlete at San Leandro High, Chabot, and starred at Sonoma State. He was drafted by the San Francisco Giants, and played as a free agent in the Milwaukee Brewers organization.

Calcagno is being inducted this year in the San Leandro Sports Foundation Hall of Fame.

Even though he's still a fulltime Chabot instructor, it was hard for him to step down from the football.

"Some days I really miss it and wish I didn't, and then most of my days I'm happy that I did," Calcagno says with a laugh. "My wife (Cheri) is very happy. It's definitely relieved some of her stress. I just didn't realize how much time football took."

Now he's freed up to spend more time with his kids. His daughters (Maddi and Ally) are active in sports at California High in San Ramon, and his athletic sons (Jake and Josh) are in fifth grade and seventh grade.”

Two sport guy...Sons and HS daughters. And a QB. Nice.

Coach Cal at Cal...has a nice ring to it.

Last edited:
DLS losing key people this year. I would say their program is the most vulnerable it has been in 30 years. It will be interesting to see if they can maintain their dominance in NorCal.

DLS losing key people this year. I would say their program is the most vulnerable it has been in 30 years. It will be interesting to see if they can maintain their dominance in NorCal.

If Lad and Eidson actually step away and leave the program completely, then it may start to become vulnerable. But they've still got all that talent and a machine that knows no boundaries. I think they'll be just fine, and the present coaching staff of however many will be able to keep the system in place at its customary high level until high school football as we know it ceases to exist due to CTE and liability concerns.

Reactions: Bubba3000

According to a Poster on the Spartanhood Board who was at the DLS Football Banquet, Edison will still be Coaching the Special Teams and Nathan Kenion will be the new Defensive Coordinator and has been calling the Defense for the last 5 Games of the year....

They also indicated that DLS will be playing 2 ESPN "Away" Games this year and will be announced when the Contracts are finalized....

According to a Poster on the Spartanhood Board who was at the DLS Football Banquet, Edison will still be Coaching the Special Teams and Nathan Kenion will be the new Defensive Coordinator and has been calling the Defense for the last 5 Games of the year....

I heard it from Eidson himself today and can confirm, he’s only stepping down as the DC, but not retiring or leaving.

Reactions: THEOC89
I heard it from Eidson himself today and can confirm, he’s only stepping down as the DC, but not retiring or leaving.
Which makes total sense. Keep in mind Ladouceur has gradually eased out so as not to upset the Apple cart. Eidson is following suit. It’s part of the dLS mantra to protect the legacy. Unlike many publics which might prepare a year or two ahead, theirs is a decade plan, a la the academy, etc. It takes a dedicated community (and a little Nike/Paragon/ESPN cash) to perpetuate.

They also indicated that DLS will be playing 2 ESPN "Away" Games this year and will be announced when the Contracts are finalized....
That’s the same thing I heard. They will play in Texas the first week and SFA in Maryland week 9. That’s a huge schedule.

That’s the same thing I heard. They will play in Texas the first week and SFA in Maryland week 9. That’s a huge schedule.

Wow!!!... That would be Awesome!!!... Selfishly I wish one of those were a Home game so I could go, But you are right, this is a Huge Schedule!!!...

Reactions: Humbab
Central Valley has hired Derrick Goblirsch As it’s new head coach according to the Modesto Bee.

I just heard that DLS Head JV coach was fired. I was told it was the diocese of the church that demanded he be terminated. Supposedly a bunch of kids up and walk out of class in protest. I know coach Harrison and he has always been a straight up guy who also served our country well. Just wondering if anyone else possible knows why he would be fired?

Anyword on South San Francisco, Carlmont and Menlo-Atherton?

Updated

Have been out of the loop but here are the open NorCal jobs I know of.

Cal High
Piedmont
Alameda
Mira Loma
Bella Vista
Antelope
Union Mine
Bellarmine
Gunderson
SSF
Hoopa Valley
Foothill (Sac Area not Pleasanton)
MA-Heard filled but now hearing otherwise

Last edited:
Have been out of the loop but here are the open NorCal jobs I know of.

Cal High
Piedmont
Alameda
Mira Loma
Bella Vista
Antelope
Union Mine
Bellarmine
Gunderson
SSF
Hoopa Valley

MA, Carlmont, West Park, Rio Linda and O’Dowd filled in the last day or two.

Who got the MA and Carlmont job?

Watsonville High hired Anthony Valdivia as their HC. Last year he was the OC at St. Francis - Watsonville. He is a Watsonville alum, so he will likely stick around for a while.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT