ADVERTISEMENT

Darkhorse Cal Basketball

Nov 15, 2016
Cal had been performing very well this season but suffered a huge loss to College Park yesterday. In the preseason 24,23,3 have been performing very well along with a great performance by 2 against Mountain House. #5, arguably one the best shooters in ebal hasn't been taking as many shots and is playing a facilitator like roll. Even with the disappointing loss to CP, i think the team will pull through. They just didn't seem ready for the game. I think the team will have a spark and compete throughout the season and earn an NCS birth. I think the only way they do that though is an outstanding senior campaign by 24. Everyone seems to be putting them out of the conservation of relevance in the NCS. Thoughts?

College Park should be one of the top teams in the DAL this year, and it is not surprising they beat Cal. It is hard to follow with just numbers listed, but I think this will be another trying season for the Grizz as there are a lot of good teams in the EBAL.

Earning an ncs berth would be an accomplishment for that program. The players
Seam to play hard for coach kooh they look to be improving but all your hear from the outside
he doesn't know what he is doing sounds like a alot of drama in the program. If left alone him
and the team could be going in the right direction but I don't see them being a threat
To any of the top teams in there league or ncs.

Last edited:
Earning an ncs berth would be an accomplishment for that program. The players
Seam to play hard for coach kooh they look to be improving but all your hear from the outside
he doesn't know what he is doing sounds like a alot of drama in the program. If left alone him
and the team could be going in the right direction but I don't see them being a threat
To any of the top teams in there league or ncs.
Are you serious?? The players look like they're playing 3rd period PE ball out there. Khoo couldn't coach a CYO team to above .500 let along a high school team.. he sits their best players in a nightly basis, and starts underclassmen who should still be on JV. It's a stretch to say "right direction" as far as I'm concerned he's on the hot seat. Go back to teachin algebra 1 buddy

No coach wants to lose. Not sure who the best player on Cal who isn't playing . I'm sure if he was good and helpful the coach would play him. Koo is not trying to lose on purpose .
What do you propose he is doing wrong? Cal has not lost to anybody that they should beat so far in league. MV is pretty good. What did you expect?

KOO is one of the best coaches in the EBAL .Allocco isn't in the league anymore. Are you basing everything on wins and losses?

No coach wants to lose. Not sure who the best player on Cal who isn't playing . I'm sure if he was good and helpful the coach would play him. Koo is not trying to lose on purpose .
What do you propose he is doing wrong? Cal has not lost to anybody that they should beat so far in league. MV is pretty good. What did you expect?

KOO is one of the best coaches in the EBAL .Allocco isn't in the league anymore. Are you basing everything on wins and losses?
he continues to sit sharp shooting center Uke #24 because some off-court shenanigans, I understand the need to lay down punishment when appropriate but this guy was clearly their best player throughout the preseason

Are you serious?? The players look like they're playing 3rd period PE ball out there. Khoo couldn't coach a CYO team to above .500 let along a high school team.. he sits their best players in a nightly basis, and starts underclassmen who should still be on JV. It's a stretch to say "right direction" as far as I'm concerned he's on the hot seat. Go back to teachin algebra 1 buddy
Said this in a previous article I wrote about the California basketball program. They continue to embarrass the athletic program of Cal and I thought that was Arley Hills job.... not the basketball programs this program needs a turnaround and quick personally I don't think khoo is the man who can provide that turnaround either he doesn't know the game

hey wise guy, why don't you watch the games before commenting on this forum.. khoo routinely sits his best players who also happen to be seniors.. explain to me how Spiller & Parmalee both don't start after averaging over 15 pts in their first 5 starts.. The basketball program is atrocious because of terrible coaching, hence why their younger teams always win 20+ games but when they get to varsity they win less than 10 each year.. at some point khoo needs to take the blame.. and yes im basing my opinion off of the fact that khoo is a terrrible coach on behalf of his wins/loss record.. mind you he played DVHS 2 times last year and got blown out twice.. no "good coach" gets blown out two times by an average team in the span of 1 year.. He is not nor will ever be a good coach. He probably never played the game which would highlight his lack of necessary know how, when it comes to coaching.. Adios khoo, enjoy your last season at cal....

I have seen CAL high since the early 2000s . Not sure why you are so down on Cal coaching . DV was loaded last year. Khoo is coaching them up. If he sits some players that doesn't mean he is doing a terrible job. What would you like him to do? Any suggestions ? Is playing the 2 guys going to make a difference in wins ?
Who do you think they should have beaten so far? MV is pretty good.

I have seen CAL high since the early 2000s . Not sure why you are so down on Cal coaching . DV was loaded last year. Khoo is coaching them up. If he sits some players that doesn't mean he is doing a terrible job. What would you like him to do? Any suggestions ? Is playing the 2 guys going to make a difference in wins ?
Who do you think they should have beaten so far? MV is pretty good.
I have heard Khoo is going to opt out of his contract at the end of the year making him available for hiring elsewhere. I've heard Los Positas Offensive Coordinator and Castro Valley High school head coach as potential landing spots for Anthony.

There aren't 5 year contracts for high school basketball. Its one year contracts. If Koo wants to stay he can and is a teacher .

There aren't 5 year contracts for high school basketball. Its one year contracts. If Koo wants to stay he can and is a teacher .
I don't know what you do but I've be in upper management at the high school level for 23 years and that's how we do business. Khoo gets his teacher salary then he agreed to run the boys program after we offered him a 4 year 100k deal with an opt out after the 3rd year. I left cal High last year and as far as I know there has been no contract reconstruction....

I was administrator in a Sacramento school and there is no such thing as a basketball contract with a 100k salary. If he's making 100k on his teaching salary then it is fine.
He is tenured. Coaching is a one year contract.

Reactions: relittleton
I was administrator in a Sacramento school and there is no such thing as a basketball contract with a 100k salary. If he's making 100k on his teaching salary then it is fine.
Arley Hill, Sarah Cranford, and Todd Beham do it much different at Cal High. The system of coaching contracts have been ran like this since the Mark Corti regime. Other schools have followed suit and it is becoming a trend around the bay. Other coaching contracts around cal include: Eric Billeci 7 year/ 250k football
Mike Pottinger 2 year/50k golf
Mark Karbo 6 year/110k with incentives track and field
Nick Shea 4 year/60k cross country
Carrie Wilson who was fired a few years back is still owed until the 2019/2020 basketball season after he signed a 10 year/500k deal.

Reactions: relittleton
Arley Hill, Sarah Cranford, and Todd Beham do it much different at Cal High. The system of coaching contracts have been ran like this since the Mark Corti regime. Other schools have followed suit and it is becoming a trend around the bay. Other coaching contracts around cal include: Eric Billeci 7 year/ 250k football
Mike Pottinger 2 year/50k golf
Mark Karbo 6 year/110k with incentives track and field
Nick Shea 4 year/60k cross country
Carrie Wilson who was fired a few years back is still owed until the 2019/2020 basketball season after he signed a 10 year/500k deal.

uh oh, the cal football posters are gonna stain their shorts when they read this.

Are you serious?? Khoo isn't getting payed 100k to teach Algebra 1 curriculum, the man is a horse shit coach... hopefully cal will buy him out of his contract.. I heard that 24 hour fitness is in the hunt for a new head coach on Tuesday nights men's league. Khoo's name has popped up at a few meetings.. same situation down at hula wok Hawaiian BBQ all star team. Word on the street is they offered Khoo 2 years 20 katsu chicken.

Are you serious?? Khoo isn't getting payed 100k to teach Algebra 1 curriculum, the man is a horse shit coach... hopefully cal will buy him out of his contract.. I heard that 24 hour fitness is in the hunt for a new head coach on Tuesday nights men's league. Khoo's name has popped up at a few meetings.. same situation down at hula wok Hawaiian BBQ all star team. Word on the street is they offered Khoo 2 years 20 katsu chicken.
It's not 100k per year is 100k spread out over the 4 years on his contract. Then he gets his normal salary to teach. He's a good teacher and not a bad coach as far as Xs and Os but when it comes to talent the guy minus well be blindfolded. And khoo won't be eating any Hula Wok deals anytime soon because of the sponsorship deal he signed with Chipotle.

Reactions: DaTruth101
Are you telling me that Koo makes 25k for coaching basketball ???? No chance unless he is doing it on his own with AAU and camps.

Are you telling me that Koo makes 25k for coaching basketball ???? No chance unless he is doing it on his own with AAU and camps.
Yes all from SRVUSD and Cal high basketball fund that is giving to the school. The admission fees and snack shack bring in the dough. You could say he's over paid but the fact that Scott McDonald makes 18k per year coaching at Mountain House... the new head coach at cal will be hired for around 30k from what I hear. Arley will have a busy offseason in search of a new head coach worth the money.

Yes all from SRVUSD and Cal high basketball fund that is giving to the school. The admission fees and snack shack bring in the dough. You could say he's over paid but the fact that Scott McDonald makes 18k per year coaching at Mountain House... the new head coach at cal will be hired for around 30k from what I hear. Arley will have a busy offseason in search of a new head coach worth the money.
He doesn't be know the first thing about basketball..out with khoo in with new.

He doesn't be know the first thing about basketball..out with khoo in with new.
Cal will have to hire outside of the current Cal high staff members unless Carrie Wilson gets another shot. Former Golden State Warriors head coach Keith Smart is someone that can turn around this sad program. He's was college buddy's with Arley Hill's older brother Dennis while at Indiana Univeristy in the late 80s.

It is safe to say that anybody could easily detect who you people are. You are the ones who have made coaching at the high school level an absolute frustration. And I find myself compelled to send this one message and only message out to you. We are talking about a man who puts his priorities in check and works to help the young men in a way that you will never understand. I can't even try to explain it to you because crazy never has the ability to comprehend common sense. You attempt to take this forum to spread your disease because perhaps your child doesn't get what YOU think they deserve. If you are so great and full of wisdom I suggest that you get the next open job in EBAL and back it up. I AM a coach in this league and I would be happy to see you on the sidelines and do it the right way. Instead you hide away with your fellow trolls and insult a good man. WE are a part of a fraternity that try and do things the right way, sadly it's like a drop of rain against a fire of crap that you spill out and it is worse every year. God forbid that you teach your kids and their friends life lessons that could go a long way. No, you make excuses for them and then you teach them to point the finger at others.
To the coach at Cal who I value as a friend, I hope you remember that you are doing a great job and I wish you the best. Don't let these guys affect you, for they can't and most likely will never understand or appreciate the hours and dedication that you and others put into helping these young men.

Back to your comments boys. At the very least you can attack me for a while and give a good man a break.

It is safe to say that anybody could easily detect who you people are. You are the ones who have made coaching at the high school level an absolute frustration. And I find myself compelled to send this one message and only message out to you. We are talking about a man who puts his priorities in check and works to help the young men in a way that you will never understand. I can't even try to explain it to you because crazy never has the ability to comprehend common sense. You attempt to take this forum to spread your disease because perhaps your child doesn't get what YOU think they deserve. If you are so great and full of wisdom I suggest that you get the next open job in EBAL and back it up. I AM a coach in this league and I would be happy to see you on the sidelines and do it the right way. Instead you hide away with your fellow trolls and insult a good man. WE are a part of a fraternity that try and do things the right way, sadly it's like a drop of rain against a fire of crap that you spill out and it is worse every year. God forbid that you teach your kids and their friends life lessons that could go a long way. No, you make excuses for them and then you teach them to point the finger at others.
To the coach at Cal who I value as a friend, I hope you remember that you are doing a great job and I wish you the best. Don't let these guys affect you, for they can't and most likely will never understand or appreciate the hours and dedication that you and others put into helping these young men.

Back to your comments boys. At the very least you can attack me for a while and give a good man a break.
It's a winners league big boy. You can be the nicest guy ever and be a math teacher and go on with your own business with no critism. But it's apart of the job. Your measured by wins and losses not personality. Mark Jackson was fired after winning 50 games and making the playoffs but the Warriors felt like they could have done better. Maybe coaches should stop worrying about the Jordan warmup suites their players have and start focusing on bettering their program.

I agree that Koo is a solid coach. I'm not sure how many games John Wooden would win at Cal. You need talent to win. Cal does not have the talent to be in the top 2 in the EBAL.
Carrie WIlson is a great coach but had more talent. THey had some very good post players back in the day.

Reactions: nostancenochance
I agree that Koo is a solid coach. I'm not sure how many games John Wooden would win at Cal. You need talent to win. Cal does not have the talent to be in the top 2 in the EBAL.
Carrie WIlson is a great coach but had more talent. THey had some very good post players back in the day.
If you had the knowledge to know of the kids khoo let go. You don't know the game. Could make an All star team of players that go to cal high that don't play whether on choice of the player or khoo not letting them by cutting them.

Coaches don't cut good players. I question the validity of "good" players. Cut players that were about the same as the others. Sounds like a little bias going on .

Coaches don't cut good players. I question the validity of "good" players. Cut players that were about the same as the others. Sounds like a little bias going on .
I'm not gonna name names because it's not fair to those players cut or that decided not to play. Plus the chin offense is way outdated. If you really know the cal high roster you would know of who I'm talking about that isn't playing.

Do really good players sit out because of the coach ? I would think good players would play no matter what

Do really good players sit out because of the coach ? I would think good players would play no matter what
How does that have any correlation to talent? Once again this relates back... just as I said you can be a great guy but a terrible coach just like a terrible guy and a great player. But these guys didn't have terrible attitudes, khoo just went with the guys from his aau team rather than other guys playing other sports.

Clearly, the several disgruntled players posting here have no clue what they are talking about. Here is a link to the San Ramon Valley Unified School District Extra duty pay page.

http://srvusdca.schoolloop.com/file/1276956756499/1258812843417/1714494277959964935.pdf

Varsity basketball coaches make $4,200 a year, which is higher than most districts. Coaches at all schools, teachers or not are all on one year contracts. Districts can relieve a coach at will. There are no five year contracts.

Some districts, may tie a teacher/coach stipend into their teaching salary with longevity increases tied in. This is very rare.

Mountain House was used as an example. The varsity basketball coach is paid 7.5% of whatever column 2, step 2 of the certificated salary schedule is. Right now it is $47,000. Do the math.

No former high school coach in a public school is still being paid by any school for any coaching duty.

All school district salary information for every district in the state is available to the public on district websites. No one coaches in a public high school for the money.

Thank you!!!!
I think Jerrycurl was talking about college contracts! Tenured coach does not exist like a teacher. Coaching is classified and Teaching is certified. A big difference in union rights.
Coaches coach for the love because they don't have long term contracts

Thank you!!!!
I think Jerrycurl was talking about college contracts! Tenured coach does not exist like a teacher. Coaching is classified and Teaching is certified. A big difference in union rights.
Coaches coach for the love because they don't have long term contracts
We got away from what's important here. Khoo will be gone after this season because you are measure in wins and losses as well as progress and improvement. His win/loss record is poor and they couldn't improve from last years ncs appearance. Not to mention the talent not playing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT