ADVERTISEMENT

David Shaw resigns

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
It had to happen. Cardinal situation had become a disaster. Stanford now will essentially try to start over with a new staff. Won't be an easy road.

Stanford is at a crossroads. Change the way they run the football program to match the current landscape (transfers/NIL) or be content to be a high academic/low end football program (ie Vanderbilt and Northwestern).

Curious where Shaw ends up. NFL/consulting role in college football/broadcasting

Reactions: RidgeRider and remc
I predict walker Lyons to declare to Georgia any day now…
He won’t be declaring anywhere anytime soon. He’s graduating from Folsom in December and leaving in January to serve a two year mission in Norway for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He’s got plenty of time to decide where he’ll declare to play.

He won’t be declaring anywhere anytime soon. He’s graduating from Folsom in December and leaving in January to serve a two year mission in Norway for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He’s got plenty of time to decide where he’ll declare to play.
Makes sense. I saw he was at Georgia two weeks ago and was wearing a Georgia hoodie at their game Friday. He’s going to have a tough time getting much pt at a school like that imo. Time will tell.

Stanford is at a crossroads. Change the way they run the football program to match the current landscape (transfers/NIL) or be content to be a high academic/low end football program (ie Vanderbilt and Northwestern).

Curious where Shaw ends up. NFL/consulting role in college football/broadcasting
He’s got the personality of a rock, I think he would be a tough follow in a broadcasting role.

I think being “content” is the better path. Not every school needs to run a professional program. Nothing wrong with having principles.

Shaw should have been gone a long time ago. But the admin and alumni like him and what he stood for. But they also like wins.

As for lyons , the family loves the spotlight so you can expect another commitment party soon. Stanford was a good choice however. He is not Brock Bowers. Not even close. GA and SEC schools different league. Now the Manteca kid going to FSU… That’s a different story. Gotta be a unicorn.

I think being “content” is the better path. Not every school needs to run a professional program. Nothing wrong with having principles.
football makes millions for these schools. that is the principle. D 1 athletes are professionals, it is not easy. It is a full time job.

Reactions: remc
Shaw should have been gone a long time ago. But the admin and alumni like him and what he stood for. But they also like wins.

As for lyons , the family loves the spotlight so you can expect another commitment party soon. Stanford was a good choice however. He is not Brock Bowers. Not even close. GA and SEC schools different league. Now the Manteca kid going to FSU… That’s a different story. Gotta be a unicorn.
why gone long time ago? 96–54 7 straight winning seasons, 5 of those double digit wins, 3 rose bowls with 2 wins..... bruh what??? cuz you just be on here talking just to hear yourself talk.

why gone long time ago? 96–54 7 straight winning seasons, 5 of those double digit wins, 3 rose bowls with 2 wins..... bruh what??? cuz you just be on here talking just to hear yourself talk.
When was Shaw last winning season and last double digit winning season again?

14-28 in last 4 years and you think a smart ideas is to keep paying you 5-6 millions a year ? Seems stupid to me to think he was stepping that program up to double digit wins?

Last edited:
Reactions: bella123

14-28 in last 4 years and you think a smart ideas is to keep paying you 5-6 millions a year ? Seems stupid to me to think he was stepping that program up to double digit wins?
Shaw had his moments, but the last four years, as you say, were awful. Depending on who Stanford hires, gonna be a difficult choice for Stanford Administration. The direction that college football has taken the last few years, with NIL in particular, isn't going to do the new hire any favors.

Shaw had his moments, but the last four years, as you say, were awful. Depending on who Stanford hires, gonna be a difficult choice for Stanford Administration. The direction that college football has taken the last few years, with NIL in particular, isn't going to do the new hire any favors.
Shaw had some recruiting successes, but he was no master recruiter. Don't see him sweeping parents off their feet, but he did have the Stanford name behind him

Shaw had some recruiting successes, but he was no master recruiter. Don't see him sweeping parents off their feet, but he did have the Stanford name behind him
Was talking to a guy a few weeks ago who’s kid was recruited by Shaw at Stanford. Said of all the coaches during his sons’ recruitment, Shaw was a complete asshole and really turned him off. He was by far was the worst coach they dealt with in the process.

Reactions: MC415
Another Stanford football issue: Transfers. The school is not typically thrilled about them.
Colhenry is once again correct. Many people are not aware Stanford is not a transfer friendly school, ie: traditionally a 4-year student school. Reading the current rate of acceptance for transfers it is less than 2% of all that apply.

In the fall of 2021, there were 3,265 transfer applicants and 55 individuals were accepted. This means that the Stanford transfer acceptance rate is 1.7%.

Think of going JC for 2-years and then transferring to Stanford, better think again. Here are your better CA options: USC = 23.6%, UCLA = 24%, Cal = 27%, SJSU = 53%

Colhenry is once again correct. Many people are not aware Stanford is not a transfer friendly school, ie: traditionally a 4-year student school. Reading the current rate of acceptance for transfers it is less than 2% of all that apply.

In the fall of 2021, there were 3,265 transfer applicants and 55 individuals were accepted. This means that the Stanford transfer acceptance rate is 1.7%.

Think of going JC for 2-years and then transferring to Stanford, better think again. Here are your better CA options: USC = 23.6%, UCLA = 24%, Cal = 27%, SJSU = 53%
Ehhhhh with the transfer portal the significance of JC transfers in the P12 is minimal bad excuse

Shaw had way better i mean hundreds of thousands of times better recruiting classes then 75% of the P12 he just sucked at the end

You’re getting out worked by the Oregon state, Utah and Wazzu with way better hundreds of times more elite recruits no excuse but bad coaching

Last edited:

but the 7 years of success surely doesnt just go gone after 4 years of bad teams. he bought his time. it is stanford. we all know they are against it to begin with and will never be national playoff contenders yearly

but the 7 years of success surely doesnt just go gone after 4 years of bad teams. he bought his time. it is stanford. we all know they are against it to begin with and will never be national playoff contenders yearly
Yeah it does at the P5 level, 4 years of trash will definitely get you the goodbye…… 14-28 where is the progress towards becoming good ? Dissect his record in P12 and against P5 teams last 4 years and tell me why I want to keep paying generational wealthy money ? His best years came off the back of the Harball regime not his own

Yeah bruh. Last 4 years were great. Get a clue. Like I said. They kept him around this long because he is good guy and well liked.
And Stanford’s in a much different situation than other programs. One of the last “Student” athlete institution at big time college athletics. And if anybody loves hearing themselves it’s you. You literally helicopter in with an opinion about everything.

He wasn’t a good coach in the end. Move on. It happens.

Yeah bruh. Last 4 years were great. Get a clue. Like I said. They kept him around this long because he is good guy and well liked.
And Stanford’s in a much different situation than other programs. One of the last “Student” athlete institution at big time college athletics. And if anybody loves hearing themselves it’s you. You literally helicopter in with an opinion about everything.

He wasn’t a good coach in the end. Move on. It happens.
he didnt have the athletes anymore. you dont lose your ability to coach in 4 damn year.

Yeah it does at the P5 level, 4 years of trash will definitely get you the goodbye…… 14-28 where is the progress towards becoming good ? Dissect his record in P12 and against P5 teams last 4 years and tell me why I want to keep paying generational wealthy money ? His best years came off the back of the Harball regime not his own
Bingo. No need arguing with this guy. Will just continue with nonsense. Anybody who thinks he should still have a job is nuts. And like I said.. if anything Stanford waited too long.
I’m sure he’s got a fortune save up. I’m not aware Stanford discloses comp but it was big money.

Reactions: RidgeRider
he didnt have the athletes anymore. you dont lose your ability to coach in 4 damn year.
He had top 25 classes every year he had shitload of more elite talent then Oregon state and Utah he got worked by them , he lost to Cal 2 of the last 3 years and Cal doesn’t have a sniff of their recruiting classes

Not unlike the Giants giving Bochy the heave ho (er allowing him to “retire”) after a run of sub par seasons. Sometimes you have to alter the course of the program.

Reactions: remc
Not unlike the Giants giving Bochy the heave ho (er allowing him to “retire”) after a run of sub par seasons. Sometimes you have to alter the course of the program.
100% he even realized that himself it happens all the time in big time sports

He had top 25 classes every year he had shitload of more elite talent then Oregon state and Utah he got worked by them , he lost to Cal 2 of the last 3 years and Cal doesn’t have a sniff of their recruiting classes

Anklebiter hasn't had a good take since he started posting on here. Only he could try and rational Shaw's incredibly poor coaching.
if you consider a life accomplishment a good take on a website that discusses teenage boys.... then you should probably hang out with adults more that dont get entertainment from teenage boys.

if you consider a life accomplishment a good take on a website that discusses teenage boys.... then you should probably hang out with adults more that dont get entertainment from teenage boys.
This has been a counter line you have used a handful of times on here. But you have almost 3,000 posts on here. Those two things run opposite to each other 🤷‍♂️

Back to David Shaw, I think he is a good coach and will have chances to coach again if he wants to next year. But I agree that it was time for a new chapter at Stanford. And unless Stanford wants to jump into the arms race that is college football, the expectations need to change

Reactions: remc and THEOC89
Back to David Shaw, I think he is a good coach and will have chances to coach again if he wants to next year. But I agree that it was time for a new chapter at Stanford. And unless Stanford wants to jump into the arms race that is college football, the expectations need to change
and look... you agree with me. the man didnt just all the sudden forget how he won double digit games 5 of 7 years!

and look... you agree with me. the man didnt just all the sudden forget how he won double digit games 5 of 7 years!
I do agree with you on Shaw's coaching ability. I just think that retort is silly and I got tired of reading it LOL

Walker Lyons decommitted from Stanford today.
Not surprised. The Family loves the Spotlight. Marketing machine. He waited about 90 sec to post on social media. I thought Stanford was a good home because it matches his abilities well. Not sure about some of these higher profile places.

Whoever signs up to be Stanford's next head coach is facing, arguably, the toughest challenge to keep the Cardinal even close to relevant in several generations.

Reactions: THEOC89
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT