ADVERTISEMENT

DLS plays only 3 games agsinst its section...How does it qualify for NCS playoffs?

NorCalSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2001
DLS looks truly to be California's team
Plays
3 NCS teams (2 EBAL, 1 Freelance)
3 Southern Section Pac 5 teams (2 Trinity, 1 Moore)
2 SJS teams (2 SFL)
1 Texas

Interestingly
  • Spartans play as many Southern section Pac 5 teams as it does NCS (3 in each)
  • Spartans play 2 games each in EBAL, SFL, Trinity leagues
How does NCS account for the Spartans in terms of qualifying for and seeding for the NCS playoffs? ( Logan also a freelance team seems to make more sense since the majority of its games are in the NCS section and 4 in West Alameda County League)

Schedule:
Trinity (Euless, TX) Road
Serra (San Mateo, CA) - WCAL CCS Road
Servite (Anaheim, CA) Trinity Pac 5 SS Home
Lutheran (Orange, CA) Trinity Pac-5 SS Home
Granite Bay (CA) SFL (Sac-Joaquin) Road
San Ramon Valley (Danville, CA) EBAL NCS Home
Poly (Long Beach, CA) Moore Pac-5 SS Home
Del Oro (Loomis, CA) SFL (Sac-Joaquin) Home
Logan (Union City, CA) Freelance NCS Location TBD
California (San Ramon, CA) EBAL NCS Home

They are an NCS team in good standing so I am not sure why they wouldn't be included. The freelance schedule is not something you can really blame DLS for. From what I remember the EBAL and the NCS were the parties that pushed for a deal that forced DLS into a freelance schedule.

I dont ever recall reading a restriction on the number of NCS games. The NCS playoff criteria I read spoke to needing at least an overall .500 record or vs D1 teams or in league.

I dont ever recall reading a restriction on the number of NCS games. The NCS playoff criteria I read spoke to needing at least an overall .500 record or vs D1 teams or in league.

I just re-read the bylaws and there doesn't appear to be any requirement to play any NCS teams at all. It says that teams that are competitive anomalies are responsible for their own schedules. Paul is correct with regards to needing a .500 record, but that extends to any opponent that would qualify as a D-I team in the NCS. Games against Poly and Trinity count towards playoff qualification.

Ridiculous to spend time to disqualify the best team around from the playoffs.

Not trying to disqualify the Spartans. Just an interesting oddity that they play just as many games in 2 other sections than they do their own. They also have at least 6 home games with some interesting matchups. I am a big DLS fan. Would rather them play competitive teams that having games over by the 1st or second quarter. I used to attend a lot of games in the past and do some now, but nothing more boring than a completely uncompetitive game. At least if they dominate the other teams on their schedule, they are playing very strong competition.

They are an NCS team in good standing so I am not sure why they wouldn't be included. The freelance schedule is not something you can really blame DLS for. From what I remember the EBAL and the NCS were the parties that pushed for a deal that forced DLS into a freelance schedule.
The EBAL was the logical choice for sparty after the BVAL had had enough beat downs prior to 2008. The EBAL allowed them in for the 08-11 four year alignment cycle, then dropped them when they found that even power team Cal got close, but couldn't get it done in that time frame. They're still EBAL for all other sports now and in the upcoming realignment for '16-'19. dLS probably didn't care too much as their gate fee for home games that are not NCS go up, and those games draw some big crowds. The BG game was packed.

The EBAL was the logical choice for sparty after the BVAL had had enough beat downs prior to 2008. The EBAL allowed them in for the 08-11 four year alignment cycle, then dropped them when they found that even power team Cal got close, but couldn't get it done in that time frame. They're still EBAL for all other sports now and in the upcoming realignment for '16-'19. dLS probably didn't care too much as their gate fee for home games that are not NCS go up, and those games draw some big crowds. The BG game was packed.

Plus DLS went independent for several years after of blowing through BVAL competition before the votes were cast to send them to the EBAL. Prior to the 08 season, the EBAL coaches mandated they be full league members in every sport if they were going to be for some. After 4 years of this, the EBAL coaches relented and allowed them to resume their independent scheduling. Incredible now that only EBAL teams Cal High and SRV even step up to schedule them. MV, Foothill and AV have evidently had enough. Pitt had kept them on their schedule after they left the BVAL for years, but have backed out the past couple of seasons. At least Logan is hanging tough. By agreeing to play DLS, the top NCS programs risk having to face them twice in a year should they meet again in the NCS playoffs. Some relish this challenge, and others don't.

[URL='http://norcalpreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/dls-plays-only-3-games-agsinst-its-section-how-does-it-qualify-for-ncs-playoffs.5007/members/norcalsportsfan.94/']
NorCalSportsFan
Hall of Famer

NewNot trying to disqualify the Spartans. Just an interesting oddity that they play just as many games in 2 other sections than they do their own. They also have at least 6 home games with some interesting matchups. I am a big DLS fan. Would rather them play competitive teams that having games over by the 1st or second quarter. I used to attend a lot of games in the past and do some now, but nothing more boring than a completely uncompetitive game. At least if they dominate the other teams on their schedule, they are playing very strong competition.
[/URL]
it is very interesting regarding how they schedule. Pretty darn tough.

Pretty impressive schedule when you consider their easiest game is James Logan!

I really like DLS' schedule. I hope other teams that are competitive in other Sections may follow the path of DLS. There are teams that are "Annual Perennial Powerhouse" in league and due fairly well when it comes to Section Playoffs and Regional Games. No disrespect towards Leagues or Schools, it's just that I wud like to see Teams Schedule against Teams that are competitive (Football). Example: Armijo-Fairfield, Rodriquez-Fairfield in the MEL or Vallejo & Fairfield. Hopefully we may see some go this route.

I really like DLS' schedule. I hope other teams that are competitive in other Sections may follow the path of DLS. There are teams that are "Annual Perennial Powerhouse" in league and due fairly well when it comes to Section Playoffs and Regional Games. No disrespect towards Leagues or Schools, it's just that I wud like to see Teams Schedule against Teams that are competitive (Football). Example: Armijo-Fairfield, Rodriquez-Fairfield in the MEL or Vallejo & Fairfield. Hopefully we may see some go this route.

Del Oro seems to do a pretty good job scheduling very tough schedule - not in same league as DLS, but pretty impressive even though they schedule tough in not so relatively strong years for them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT