ADVERTISEMENT

DLS vs Mater Dei Open Div Champion Prediction

Oct 13, 2005
Assuming DLS gets past Liberty and plays Mater Dei in the CIF Open Division Championship game, what is your prediction?

IMO DLS needs to have the type if game they played against Folsom just to keep the score close. Bend, but don't break, with lots of turnovers leading to scores, and some long scoring drives to eat up the clock.

Let's say the above "worst case scenario" occurs, the score is tied or DLS leads by 4 points with one minute left on the clock and MD has no timeouts,, and MD needs to go the length of the field to score a TD to win, how does this game end?

That's my prediction.

Marcello !!@@!!

Reactions: aztecpadre
DLS 34-31 over MD. Dls has played a good schedule this year. They beat 1 state champ(bishop gorman), 3 section champs(san ramon, bishop o dowd, and folsom) and 2 section runner ups(st francis and central catholic) who both lost in the final seconds of their respective championship games or else that would be 5 section champs. Go norcal

Reactions: 13 others
I think DLS is going to shock the nation in 2 weeks. Their defense is legit and MD is not the team it was last year as much as people are trying to make them.

When DLS wins, they will be crowned the Mythical National Champs. There was a nice article on MaxPreps last week talking about how they're getting sick of Allen's shit weak out of state scheduling.

Reactions: RidgeRider
You do know they have a common opponent.
Yes, which doesnt mean alot and has never been an accurate gauge for predicting the outcome of a game. Regardless of the common opponent though, I just don't feel DLS has the firepower to beat MD. I hope I'm wrong, but at least am hoping the DLS defense can keep it close. My gut says MD wins by 2 to 3 scores.

DLS 34-31 over MD. Dls has played a good schedule this year. They beat 1 state champ(bishop gorman), 3 section champs(san ramon, bishop o dowd, and folsom) and 2 section runner ups(st francis and central catholic) who both lost in the final seconds of their respective championship games or else that would be 5 section champs. Go norcal
Even though SF lost section, they still can potentially be a state champ, which would mean DLS potentially has 3 state champs they beat this year.

Reactions: Sacchiefs
Even though SF lost section, they still can potentially be a state champ, which would mean DLS potentially has 3 state champs they beat this year.
Good point. Add another section champ to that list if they beat MD.

MD by 14+; anything less than that is a small victory for DLS and of course if DLS can muster a win - Wow!

Reactions: Bubba3000

San Ramon hasn’t won anything yet. They play Freedom next week for the NCS D1 championship, but with the 4 best teams in the Open, even if they win it’s a watered down (section champ).

DLS still has played a tough schedule, and always has a chance no matter who they play. They won’t be favored in the only real state championship game, but it will never be a shocker when they beat other great teams. MD better come prepared.

MD is lucky DLS doesn’t have two weeks. I think a motivated coaching staff, combined with players who didn’t perform well last year, will respond accordingly. That formula, in the past, signaled danger to opponents.

MD is lucky DLS doesn’t have two weeks. I think a motivated coaching staff, combined with players who didn’t perform well last year, will respond accordingly. That formula, in the past, signaled danger to opponents

Lol

I have a good feeling this is going to be a heck of a football game. I don't expect DLS to get rolled over at all.

This just sounds so wrong.

That's because it is.

Just because the NCS/CCS/CIF are rewarding runner ups with advancement doesn't mean they are State worthy should they manage to capitalize on the 2nd chance.

I think we can all imagine how much Folsom would like a 2nd opportunity at the Open SBG. But they aren't going to be given one based upon their loss in Week 0. And that wasn't even a playoff game.

IMO, any team that doesn't win their section (loses a playoff game) yet moves on to win Regional and State Bowl games deserves an asterisk placed on their banner/trophy.

When Jesuit forfeited their playoff wins over Woodcreek and Granite Bay, neither of those teams were allowed a 2nd chance to move on and face Del Oro who instead received a BYE week. The SJS didn't feel it was fair to reward a team that lost 42-0 by giving them a shot at backdooring a title.

The Lancers have a tremendous team and turned in a great season. But they lost their section and IMO don't deserve the opportunity to possibly be referred to as a 'Regional' and/or 'State Champ'.

I feel the same way with regard to College Football. Teams that lose their conference championship have no justification playing for the National title.

Calpreps predicts this one 31-17 Mater Dei. I think that is a fair prediction. Although Mater Dei is favored and maybe even capable of a blowout, they can lose. DLS has seemed to have fed off of big plays (mostly on the ground) all season long, they need to figure out how to make that happen against Mater Dei.

I think there is a 1 in 4 chance DLS wins this one. But I also think there are equal odds DLS gets blown out.

I just hope to watch a great game

Mater Dei 35-21, just too much talent on both sides of the ball for Mater Dei. MD as a 13.5 point favorite, I'd probably bet MD to cover.

That's because it is.

The Lancers have a tremendous team and turned in a great season. But they lost their section and IMO don't deserve the opportunity to possibly be referred to as a 'Regional' and/or 'State Champ'.

I feel the same way with regard to College Football. Teams that lose their conference championship have no justification playing for the National title.

They will be referred to officially as Regional or State Bowl Champions if they win. Very similar to a college Rose or Holiday Bowl Champion. What the schools and press refer to them as is up to them. :)

Looking forward to this game. It will be interesting to see how DLS's defense holds up. MD has some pretty big receivers and is a big play team.

Gorman is their one common opponent. MD beat the breaks off of Gorman while DLS pulled out a victory.

MD might be too much for DLS.

Mater Dei 35-21, just too much talent on both sides of the ball for Mater Dei. MD as a 13.5 point favorite, I'd probably bet MD to cover.
I would agree that man for man there is to much talent on both sides of the ball for MD. But IMO there is way to much “Me” on that team with absolutely no “Us” at all. MD definitely has to be the favorite. But I’ve been texting with a few coaching friends of mine from down south who have some disturbing things to say about Mater Dei coaching staff and players. All four of them think dls will win.

MD just too many athletes on both sides of the ball. ....,,Outside of Folsom,......, DLSs toughest game was week 0......,,

Agree MD is going to be a tough matchup for the Spattsns.

Toughest part of Week 0 game ?

1) Spartan team bus ride back to locker room? Or

2) Getting accustomed to game time conditions on New Astrosturf Field?
Or

3) Deciding whether to sub in 2's & 3's @ 3rd or 4th quarter.

MD just too many athletes on both sides of the ball. Battle tested. Outside of Folsom, DLS didn't really play anyone spectacular. Central Catholic got beat by Del Oro. Buchanan got rolled by Central. BG was wayyyyyyyyyy down and likely not a top #15 in all of CA.

I am unsure why nobody mentions this as something that will matter in this game. DLSs toughest game was week 0. MD just came off a win against the #1 or #2 team in the nation.

MD 35-20.
Im sorry but I only saw 3 dls games this year. NO way was week 0 there toughest game. BG played dls way tougher then Folsom. I hope all the north teams roll in the SBG’s. Given your track record on predictions this year (0-2 that I know of) I feel pretty good about dls’s chances.

Reactions: THEOC89
Im sorry but I only saw 3 dls games this year. NO way was week 0 there toughest game. BG played dls way tougher then Folsom. I hope all the north teams roll in the SBG’s. Given your track record on predictions this year (0-2 that I know of) I feel pretty good about dls’s chances.

Book it! ;)

I Agree with this! I Saw both games and in person BG was much more Impressive then Folsom. They are Bigger, More Physical and have more speed. BG Plays a National Schedule and would beat Folsom easily by 10 points or more if they played.

I See the week 0 game as a "Tune - up" for for DLS. DLS is playing great right now, I think the Game comes down to which defense limits the Big Plays. I also think it helps DLS that they played last week. Assuming no injuries of course. :)

I Agree with this! I Saw both games and in person BG was much more Impressive then Folsom. They are Bigger, More Physical and have more speed. BG Plays a National Schedule and would beat Folsom easily by 10 points or more if they played.

I See the week 0 game as a "Tune - up" for for DLS. DLS is playing great right now, I think the Game comes down to which defense limits the Big Plays. I also think it helps DLS that they played last week. Assuming no injuries of course. :)

DLS played both teams at different stages of the season. BG had a losing record when they played DLS and had some relatively close games in state this year. They usually blow out all Nevada teams. This was a bad year for BG and DLS did not play well that night. Nobody playing Folsom this year was/is going to "beat Folsom easily by 10 points or more if they played" They are a talented team and could give any high school squad fits. Saying they will get easily beat is ridiculous.

Reactions: ThunderRam
DLS played both teams at different stages of the season. BG had a losing record when they played DLS and had some relatively close games in state this year. They usually blow out all Nevada teams. This was a bad year for BG and DLS did not play well that night. Nobody playing Folsom this year was/is going to "beat Folsom easily by 10 points or more if they played" They are a talented team and could give any high school squad fits. Saying they will get easily beat is ridiculous.

If 70-7, 49-3, 42-28, and 69-26 are not Blow Out enough for you that that is ridiculous. Saying that BG and DLS did not play well that night is even more ridiculous.

BG is Better the Folsom, if you saw them in person you would agree they are bigger, Faster and more Physical then Folsom and they would easily win by 10. Folsom has a history of not playing well against Top Competition and BG outscored Folsom by 21 Against DLS.

So Right now I would say they are a 21 Point Favorite over Folsom. That would be an "Easy" Win.... :)

Reactions: Truthhertz
If 70-7, 49-3, 42-28, and 69-26 are not Blow Out enough for you that that is ridiculous. Saying that BG and DLS did not play well that night is even more ridiculous.

Labeling someone's opinion based upon their own observation as 'ridiculous' because you don't agree with it is the pot calling the kettle black. Neither side can be proven factually correct. It's just subjective opinion.

BG is Better the Folsom

According to you. But it's yet another statement that can't and won't be proven factually correct.

if you saw them in person you would agree they are bigger, Faster and more Physical then Folsom and they would easily win by 10.

You really do like to position opinions as facts, don't you? I especially love the "if you saw them in person" tactic that doesn't change anything in any way.

Serious question, can you offer anything of substance to your argument or is stating opinion as fact all you got in the bag? Score comparisons and personal eyeball test don't equate to fact.

I think it's clear to @Golfpilot and everyone else that your opinion is based off those things. More power to you for that. But the reality could very well be that every word you've said is wrong. There's just no way to prove it.

Reactions: WWHS44 and awood1
This is not last year. MD wouldve beaten bosco img and gorman all in 1 week. Thats how ridiculous the jr. And sr. Depth they had. They had so many recruits last year, img wouldve been saying, dayum, MD got alotta recruits?!
This year is different from last year. This years DLS defense can put up a bigger fight than last year. And their first loss to bosco showed they have weaknesses that can be exploited. MD should still be favorites, but this is going to be a better match up.

Reactions: THEOC89
MD beat BG 42-0, IMG 28-24, and SJB 17-13.... they are as loaded as last year. DLS has improved at the QB position but not enough to win. Only common opponent was BG who DLS beat 27-21. They are not on the same level as MD. MD 49-21

Labeling someone's opinion based upon their own observation as 'ridiculous' because you don't agree with it is the pot calling the kettle black. Neither side can be proven factually correct. It's just subjective opinion.

According to you. But it's yet another statement that can't and won't be proven factually correct.

You really do like to position opinions as facts, don't you? I especially love the "if you saw them in person" tactic that doesn't change anything in any way.

Serious question, can you offer anything of substance to your argument or is stating opinion as fact all you got in the bag? Score comparisons and personal eyeball test don't equate to fact.

I think it's clear to @Golfpilot and everyone else that your opinion is based off those things. More power to you for that. But the reality could very well be that every word you've said is wrong. There's just no way to prove it.

So My Opinion that BG would easily beat Folsom is ridiculous, but when I show that BG has Blown out their competition in the playoffs which @Golfpilot said did not happen his "Opinion" is not ridiculous?

And when @Golfpilot says that DLS and BG did not pIay well, but I say that BG vs DLS was a great game, because a 27-21 game between 2 National High School Powerhouses is usually a great game. Somehow his "Opinion" is not ridiculous?

What other Facts do you want other then BG played a better game against DLS then Folsom Did They lost by 6 and scored 21.... Folsom lost by 14 and Their "High Powered" offense scored 0.... Those are FACTS my friend... I don't know what other FACTS you need?

If you are prepared to present any alternative FACTS I am listening.... :)

Just like you, I am a knowledgeable HSFB Fan that attends and watches games and has followed these boards for years. So your "Opinion" That "The Reality that every word you've said is wrong", is simply "Ridiculous"....:);)

Does anyone know if this game will be streamed this saturday or what tv channel it will be on? Thx

Does anyone know if this game will be streamed this saturday or what tv channel it will be on? Thx

5:30 AM post.....your mate doesn't suspect you are secretly corresponding with a new amor?

Here in Oakland, Open Game is broadcast on AT&T/Uverse channels 770 & 1770HD, NBC Sports Bay Area(NSBA) Saturday night at 8:00.

Reactions: Sacchiefs
Interesting to me that you have two well known private schools in DLS and MD who have their pick of area players.

I think the difference is that generally DLS takes what they have of players who are at their school their freshman year and build on that. MD, on the other hand, is well known for bringing mass transfers in who played either their freshmen or sophomore years at other high schools.

Can't really blame them, but Coach Rollison probably hurts from the 4 years in a row slap down by DLS when they played in the late 1990's and early 2000's. Even if MD wins Saturday, to me it just takes away from really admiring their program.

Reactions: THEOC89 and awood1
Can't really blame them, but Coach Rollison probably hurts from the 4 years in a row slap down by DLS when they played in the late 1990's and early 2000's. Even if MD wins Saturday, to me it just takes away from really admiring their program.

I feel the same way about Folsom. Since they complained their way out of the open, and refuse to book quality opponents it’s just hard to respect their program. And then through in the fact they pad the stat line when teams are out matched and already beaten its just doesn’t sit well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT