ADVERTISEMENT

"Dr of Hoopology" released from HMB

GOTF

Hall of Famer
Jun 5, 2011
FORSLUND is out as head coach of HMB, sounds like more parental BS !

I'm done with the PAL, its a joke now. Might as well give each week to a parent and let them you tube a practice, design a plan/play for their kid to play whole game, and then boast about how their kid is a D1 player. This is a disgrace, and I fault administration for allowing. Rich is one of the most respected coaches out there, willing to do all the work to get kids better. Half Moon Bay you should be embarrassed.

Let's hope it's not parents. But he's an off-campus coach with no union rights at all.
Yes. Since he is off-campus, all it takes is someone who is full-time faculty/staff to state that he/she wants to be the basketball coach. Doc has virtually no recourse.

It was parents again .three to be exact and administration who refuse to stand firm and do the right thing. Parents not happy pushing their child to compete and yelling at them or as I like to say raise my voice.
I have cancelled all games with Half Moon Bay .Our fun rivalry with Half Moon Bay will no longer exist.I refuse to schedule games with a administration who continue to demonstrate the lack of support and respect of coaches.
Coach Mo

Last edited:
Straight from the Principal, "we are going in a different direction." 7 coaches won't be back, feel bad for the kids, but unfortunately not my problem any more. Now a free agent with the resume ready to go. Proud of all the things my entire coaching staff was able to accomplish over the past 7 years, including school records for most wins in a season twice. Going to miss all of my coaches dearly and most of the players as well. Been fortunate to have had some great players to work with.
The coaching landscape at the HS is certainly changing. Mike Gutierrez 20+ years at Mercy fired, Brian Harrigan, St. Francis HS (3rd winningest coach in CA girls basketball) let go to go in a different direction, Chris Lavdiotis 24 years at Piedmont let go to go in a different direction, Rich Buckner 19 years at Archbishop Riordan HS let go to go in a different direction. Is there a common thread here, LOL!!
Good luck going in that different direction!!

That different direction is a one-way street to mediocrity.
Can't wait to see the "new direction" HMB is gong in. Wouldn't a decent coach think twice before taking a position working for this administration. Guessing HMB will no longer be a winning program

Straight from the Principal, "we are going in a different direction." 7 coaches won't be back, feel bad for the kids, but unfortunately not my problem any more. Now a free agent with the resume ready to go. Proud of all the things my entire coaching staff was able to accomplish over the past 7 years, including school records for most wins in a season twice. Going to miss all of my coaches dearly and most of the players as well. Been fortunate to have had some great players to work with.
The coaching landscape at the HS is certainly changing. Mike Gutierrez 20+ years at Mercy fired, Brian Harrigan, St. Francis HS (3rd winningest coach in CA girls basketball) let go to go in a different direction, Chris Lavdiotis 24 years at Piedmont let go to go in a different direction, Rich Buckner 19 years at Archbishop Riordan HS let go to go in a different direction. Is there a common thread here, LOL!!

Hey Rich, I will look for you at the Pro Am August 9th. Second Playoff game.
Here's wishing you getting back to great hoops

Not-so-smooth move by HMB's admin.

Just got a gorgeous new gym and then fired one of the best coaches in the area.

My guess is, in addition to not having the talents of said excellent coach, the more-talented of the HMB kids will find their way to private schools if possible, and the team will go downhill pretty darn quick.

I drive down from Concord to Cameron's in HMB on Tuesdays for a trivia game, and have sometimes worked in a quick trip to the Cougar game immediately after trivia if they were playing at home that night... Now, I'll just stick with the trivia and not bother with the un-Dr.Hooped HMB games.

This is unbelievable!! Not only do they "Go in a different Direction" from one of the best coaches in Northern Ca, and the best the school has had off of a couple parents complaints. Just as bad, they wait this long after the season and now most of the good gigs are all filled! They couldn't even give him the respect to have a chance to go grab one of those jobs!! The worst handling of a situation I've heard of in YEARS! The school should now "Go in a different direction" from the admin after this.

Let's not forget Rich was ALL IN for that SHC job last year, if he had gotten that he would have left HMB in the rear view mirror. Maybe that played a part in this as well?

Interesting that all these coaches are being "let go" at the same time the CIF has removed the penalties for transferring with "better athletics" as the line of logic.

Seems to me there is going to be a few schools "committed to sports" who are going to get "rich" with athletes very soon. Not very smart on the part of the administrators and ADs.

Let's not forget Rich was ALL IN for that SHC job last year, if he had gotten that he would have left HMB in the rear view mirror. Maybe that played a part in this as well?

and lets not forget he tried to get the SI job as well

Good point...very well could have! Still not a good look for them waiting this long, plus the boys get the short end of the stick, unless they have someone already? Now what do they do for summer league (have nothing) and opens gyms, weights, etc. Very bad timing.

The timing sucks I agree ! But the fact of the matter is the HMB summer program was maybe going to have 6-7 kids maybe.... With the graduating kids gone and the football guys kicking off their senior year with spring ball in a couple weeks, all that coupled with the 2 returning single sport (basketball) guys playing for NBBA there just isn't much there. HMB basketball is going to drop off drastically in the next couple years and it's not entirely because of losing Rich, the incoming classes just don't have the athletes.

has it even been stated what the parents were complaining about or is it
just being assumed that the issue had to do with playing time.

The timing sucks I agree ! But the fact of the matter is the HMB summer program was maybe going to have 6-7 kids maybe.... With the graduating kids gone and the football guys kicking off their senior year with spring ball in a couple weeks, all that coupled with the 2 returning single sport (basketball) guys playing for NBBA there just isn't much there. HMB basketball is going to drop off drastically in the next couple years and it's not entirely because of losing Rich, the incoming classes just don't have the athletes.
Agreed, totally true facts!

Yes but two of the starters were not happy with how they were performing. They did not like their role on the team or whatever. So parents blame the head coach. This is the fact..some of the parents complained and one was very close to administration. Half Moon Bay parents must want a elementary school level coach..everyone plays same amount of minutes ...do not raise your voice to the kids and always say, 'Its ok Johnny!"

Exactly so without All of the facts not being known why is this whole thread killing
Hmb's administration?

Exactly so without All of the facts not being known why is this whole thread killing
Hmb's administration?
Forslund has been a known entity going back to his days at Lowell. I can't recall his handling of players ever being questioned. He has always thrived while maintaining a great reputation. Based on what we know have seen from the Doctor over the years and what we have seen from multiple administrations when it comes to handling parent issues, I'm pretty comfortable siding with the Dr.

City game you are correct about coach being a respected entity for years in this game
and his accomplishments are unquestioned and for that reason I am going to
exit from this thread and not comment any further.

and lets not forget he tried to get the SI job as well
Totally false, never submitted an application for SI, nor ever interviewed for the job. Obviously, did apply in 2016 for the SHC job, but that job has huge land mines as anyone can see. And, just because someone applies for a job doesn't necessarily they will accept the job. Never was ALL IN, that I can assure you. Personally, would have been the toughest coaching decision I would ever had to make IF I had been offered the job, which I wasn't. Based upon performance and direction of program some would say it was a blessing. Coach Barbour did an unbelievable job there and also had some talent to work with. Don't know Coach McKay at all, but he is in no way blessed with the same talent pipleline and the younger classes aren't offering a whole lot. He has some serious challenges competing in the toughest league around. Not so confident that the job is a good one anymore, especially considering who you have to compete with. Way less talent than Serra, Mitty, SI, and Bellarmine. Probably less than VC these days and St. Francis. So, you might have a better situation than my alma mater. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Totally false statement as well. Have over 10 players wanting and available to play Summer ball, not including FB players. Also, have a commitment from a stud baseball player to play Summer ball. Ethan and Sam who play for NBBA program, thanks to my connection by the way, have ZERO conflicts for this summer. Had a chance to still be pretty good next season with the returning players, but after next year, talent level will drop dramatically until the current 8th grade class becomes Juniors. Feel very bad for ALL returning players.

Last edited:
Sounds like AD Justin Ferdinand got set in his ways - Got EVERYTHING he wanted in the swimming and water polo side of the fence - aka his AD salary plus stipends galore and then CAVED in to coast-side parents who tend to have the same disease as parents everywhere.

Daddy and Mommy ball means "my son is going pro in the sport of his choice"

Hmb's administration?

Really Bones? Really? You're going there knowing that they have had a revolving door at the Principal position for years until lately and prior to this year the baseball coach was a parent of two boys in the program and due to deep pockets paid for most every baseball equipment purchase.

Really Bones? The Coastside Boys and Girls Club runs almost every coaching stipend through their books and the guy running the B*G Club has his hands in every coast-side function. SMH

http://www.hmbreview.com/sports/cou...cle_ee56278a-3b21-11e7-94ab-b73e0746527f.html

Updated, 10:43 a.m. Half Moon Bay High School has chosen not to renew the contract of varsity boys basketball coach Rich Forslund. In terms of wins and losses, Forslund was among the most successful coaches in the school’s history.

Forslund has been a varsity head coach at Half Moon Bay and elsewhere for 22 years. His Cougar teams had won at least 20 games for six consecutive seasons. He is widely respected among his peers and known as a basketball junkie.

Public high school coaches in the area work on the basis of an annual contract. Those contracts can be renewed or dropped by the schools or coaches without cause.

In a phone call on Wednesday, Forslund said he learned a day earlier that he would not be returning to the high school. He characterized the decision as being “fired.” He said that his four assistants had resigned as a result, and that others on the junior varsity and freshmen boys basketball staffs would also be leaving the program.

Forslund said the decision came after meetings with Principal John Nazar and Athletic Director Justin Ferdinand last week at which his coaching techniques were critiqued. He claimed that neither administrator had ever attended a practice but that they took as gospel complaints from a player.

Forslund said he declined the school’s offer to continue as the announcer at football games. He wished his former players well next year.

“I think it’s going to be an interesting transition for all the returning players,” he said. “I think (coaches did) a lot of things behind the scenes that many people aren’t even aware were done.”

Forslund lives in Montara. He said he would likely return to coaching elsewhere in the area.

“I’ll probably take some time off; at least a month,” he said. “First thing I’ll probably try to do is see if I can get an assistant coaching job at the college level. That is probably a better fit for me personally. If that doesn’t work out, I’ll probably end up working as an assistant for one of my buddies on the peninsula.”

Calls to the Half Moon Bay High School administration were not immediately returned on Wednesday.

Reactions: 5MatchUp
Tough news again from the coaching ranks. Would that new gym have been built without the success/structure put in place under Rich?

Hoping to see you back on the sidelines soon Rich.
My thoughts exactly. As Coach Forslund commented on the ousting of RIordan's RIch Buckner - this can be considered the "Harbaugh 3" debacle.

Reactions: OneDNA and 5MatchUp
Hello to all. My name is Steve Ritchie, for you long time NCP guys I went by High School Wizard aka hswizard many years back. Anyways I must say it should be very concerning to all high school fans that these coaching carousels are taking place the last few years. I mean sure some guys deserve to be shown the door, and yes some programs need change. But Half Moon Bay, are you kidding me. What athletic director and principle tell a coach who took a program that was mediocre to a program that appears in SIX STRAIGHT NOR CAL TOURNAMENTS and posts 20 plus win seasons six years in a row we are going in a different direction. We are not talking about private schools of the WCAL and east bay or publics like Sheldon in Sacramento that get talent from all kinds of areas. We are talking about Half Moon Bay who most kids are from Half Moon Bay and came up thru the Cunha program.

I am a graduate of SHC 1991, and met Rich in 1999. I offered to help in any way possible while he was at Riordan and I did just that from 1999 to 2006. I spent hours at practices, in the locker room, and watched him turn non talented players into ball players and put talented players in positions to play at other levels. He also always puts kids in a position to win. John Tofi is the greatest story, turned him from a big kid with some skill into a guy that has made damn good money since his college days in Belgium.

Being a high school coach is not just about basketball, it's about staying on guys about grades, life, developing the skill to compete in life. Are these soft parents going to cry to their kids bosses in 10 years when they get written up. Give me a break. Have they ever coached outside of the backyards and driveways at their homes.

With all that said, good luck to high school coaches. If a guy with this much of a resume gets fired and told "we are going in another direction", every coach should be worrried and reconsider doing it for 4-6k per season.

To Half Moon Bay, I feel very bad for the current players and the young kids who will be players. The program is going to suffer big, and good luck finding a coach. I lived in SF and coached at Cunha for two years, twice a week and that was a task. And to the AD and Principal, HILARIOUS REASON. And lastly the parents, PATHETIC.

One of the top 5 coaches with a resume and major respect from the Alloco's, Lippis, and many others gets fired after such a run. WOW

Oh and one last thing. KUDOS to the 5 schools who have cancelled their preseason HMB matchups currently. Hopefully more do the same in protest of how not only Rich, but all other coaches have been treated over the years. It's a thankless job and us parents are fortunate to have them. Just some parents, well, refer to the above.

Steve Ritchie

Hello to all. My name is Steve Ritchie, for you long time NCP guys I went by High School Wizard aka hswizard many years back. Anyways I must say it should be very concerning to all high school fans that these coaching carousels are taking place the last few years. I mean sure some guys deserve to be shown the door, and yes some programs need change. But Half Moon Bay, are you kidding me. What athletic director and principle tell a coach who took a program that was mediocre to a program that appears in SIX STRAIGHT NOR CAL TOURNAMENTS and posts 20 plus win seasons six years in a row we are going in a different direction. We are not talking about private schools of the WCAL and east bay or publics like Sheldon in Sacramento that get talent from all kinds of areas. We are talking about Half Moon Bay who most kids are from Half Moon Bay and came up thru the Cunha program.

I am a graduate of SHC 1991, and met Rich in 1999. I offered to help in any way possible while he was at Riordan and I did just that from 1999 to 2006. I spent hours at practices, in the locker room, and watched him turn non talented players into ball players and put talented players in positions to play at other levels. He also always puts kids in a position to win. John Tofi is the greatest story, turned him from a big kid with some skill into a guy that has made damn good money since his college days in Belgium.

Being a high school coach is not just about basketball, it's about staying on guys about grades, life, developing the skill to compete in life. Are these soft parents going to cry to their kids bosses in 10 years when they get written up. Give me a break. Have they ever coached outside of the backyards and driveways at their homes.

With all that said, good luck to high school coaches. If a guy with this much of a resume gets fired and told "we are going in another direction", every coach should be worrried and reconsider doing it for 4-6k per season.

To Half Moon Bay, I feel very bad for the current players and the young kids who will be players. The program is going to suffer big, and good luck finding a coach. I lived in SF and coached at Cunha for two years, twice a week and that was a task. And to the AD and Principal, HILARIOUS REASON. And lastly the parents, PATHETIC.

One of the top 5 coaches with a resume and major respect from the Alloco's, Lippis, and many others gets fired after such a run. WOW

Oh and one last thing. KUDOS to the 5 schools who have cancelled their preseason HMB matchups currently. Hopefully more do the same in protest of how not only Rich, but all other coaches have been treated over the years. It's a thankless job and us parents are fortunate to have them. Just some parents, well, refer to the above.

Steve Ritchie
Thanks for the kudos Mr. Ritchie
I sent a email to administration right after Rich Forslund contacted me. Rich stated to me that he was okay if I kept the game. I felt compelled to do something as I continue to hear administration firing exceptional coaches based on parents complaints. Sadly, administration are teaching students a poor life lesson...if things are not going well or as planned lets blame the coach or someone else!..
OBTW....Menlo-Atherton needs a game now ...I may have to call Coach Buckner at St. Marys:)

Last edited:
Back at you Coach Mo. But realistically speaking, I think that should become the new standard when coaches that put their heart and soul into a program and have success are fired due to whiny parents, the schools lined up the next pre season should say go fly a kite as a type of protest. It is creating a standard that of things don't go your way, screw the coach. Fact is some kids get it and some do not. But a coaches rear end shouldn't be questioned with such a track record. Much success to you, look forward to following you and will have to make a trip over next season, and if you line up St Mary's, make it a road trip, that's only 10mins from me, LOL

Steve Ritchie

Reactions: jordan24
Back at you Coach Mo. But realistically speaking, I think that should become the new standard when coaches that put their heart and soul into a program and have success are fired due to whiny parents, the schools lined up the next pre season should say go fly a kite as a type of protest. It is creating a standard that of things don't go your way, screw the coach. Fact is some kids get it and some do not. But a coaches rear end shouldn't be questioned with such a track record. Much success to you, look forward to following you and will have to make a trip over next season, and if you line up St Mary's, make it a road trip, that's only 10mins from me, LOL

Steve Ritchie
Great!!Winner get first round...Dont be surprised if you see a sighting of Forslund in Atherton:)

Last edited:
One of the best minds in basketball. Some AD will look pretty smart in the next year or two. Is a return to Riordan a possibility; I thought Rob Ray was thinking about stepping down at Lowell.

Reactions: jordan24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT