ADVERTISEMENT

"Dr of Hoopology" released from HMB

The instances were Rob Ray has stepped down, it has only been for one season and then returning the following season. So, would going to a situation where the previous coach may come back the following season be worthwhile.

One of the best minds in basketball. Some AD will look pretty smart in the next year or two. Is a return to Riordan a possibility; I thought Rob Ray was thinking about stepping down at Lowell.
I wish Coach Forslund would return to Phelan Ave! Based on his posts, though, he is very much disappointed in the dismissal of Coach Buckner (as am I !) and the direction the AD is taking. Interesting that one of Forslund's bench warmers from his 2001 team is now the new head coach and is from the Forslund-Buckner tree. Please God, I thought nepotism/cronyism was done away in CrusaderLand. Lol!

Reactions: OneDNA
Jordan24, although I have been away from posting in norcal preps, young friend know your stuff. Don't know who you are, but I admire your posts of reality. I assited RB for one year and what blows me away is firing guys like that with no plan. But trust me, parents create nonsense. And anyone that thinks others are more qualified than guys like RB and Rich Forslund are clowns. Every year since 2003, I have sat on the floor of every state title game. I have seen Luke Walton, Klay, James Harden kicked me in the chin diving out of bounds, jerk didn't say sorry, and so many more great kids. But my love of this level of basketball is dying. Parents are a joke. And the fact that they don't replace what is removed is worse. Riordan will suffer dearly, and so will HMB. Keep posting the good stuff, enjoy reading your stuff when I log on from time to time.

Reactions: jordan24
AAU and year around basketball has dearly affected high school sports. AAU coaches are paid to say "johnny" is better than he is, and mom and dad invest/ drink the Kool-Aid. Come high school, reality sets in. Admins staff listen to the squeakiest wheel. I bet these squeaky parents have kids playing only one sport in high school.

The economy of living in San Francisco Bay Area also affects long-term coaching. How any high school teacher/coach can afford to live in San Francisco is beyond me.

Reactions: SHgradSIdad
It is indeed a different world. Compared to prior generations, prep coaches (not just in hoops) now are typically walk-ons, off-campus people who have no real relationships with administrators, school board trustees, etc. These folks, all of them vulnerable to the whims and desires of any number of interested parties with axes to grind, tend to come and go for a variety of reasons. Decades ago, full-time teacher/coaches were tenured faculty members who were an integral part of a school staff. No more. The well-established public school teacher/coach is a dying breed. That said, even those people with union rights are not necessarily secure when it comes to coaching. Ask Jeff Dowd at Burlingame. He received treatment similar to what Rich Forslund has just experienced at HMB. Dowd, however, is a full-time, tenured teacher at Burlingame; he got run out of the Panthers' gymnasium by some unhappy parents some years ago after 15 seasons on Mangini Way, most of them successful. Some of the reasons (not all) for his firing were very much like those directed at Forslund. An alleged over-emphasis on winning was one of them. Ironically, when Dowd, who still teaches at BHS, was let go, a couple of his assistants wound up at HMB with Forslund. Today, all of them are gone. And PAL boys basketball is diminished in the process.

Last edited:
This discussion brings up another relevant matter: In today's hyper-sensitive, helicopter-parent-infested, administrative-leery, AAU-contaminated coaching atmosphere, what are "proper" prep coaching behaviors and techniques? Where is the reasonable line between positive pushing and negative bullying/damaging criticism? Who decides? Today's high school coaches (and coaches at other levels too) walk a tightrope. If coaches, during both games and practices, cannot yell instruction at a player, criticize (without being personal or grossly insulting), correct mistakes or motivate in demonstrative fashion, getting points across is difficult or impossible. Everything cannot be peaches and cream with a pink tablecloth or a group encounter session led by a resident Dr. Phil. The AYSO "everyone plays, everyone is a winner" philosophy has to end by the time a kid tries out for a varsity sport at the high school level. But what takes its place? The Positive Coaching Alliance, for one, has tried to impart some answers. But solutions in the current dicey environment tend to be iffy at best. Again, high school coaching is a thankless task.

It was parents again .three to be exact and administration who refuse to stand firm and do the right thing. Parents not happy pushing their child to compete and yelling at them or as I like to say raise my voice.
I have cancelled all games with Half Moon Bay .Our fun rivalry with Half Moon Bay will no longer exist.I refuse to schedule games with a administration who continue to demonstrate the lack of support and respect of coaches.
Coach Mo
Hey, you finally stood up for someone, rather than dive behind and look through the hedges like Spicer...bravo Coach! o_O

Great!!Winner get first round...Dont be surprised if you see a sighting of Forslund in Atherton:)
Good lord, will this be Light Saber Night in Atherton??? Then again, Mike Brown and Steve Kerr has been harmonious, so why not Molieri and Forslund ;)

One more thing. The programs at Burlingame (under Dowd), HMB (under Forslund) and certainly M-A (under Molieri) have all felt the considerable influence of the WCAL. Which means they have been rebuilt (or were rebuilt) to include a dedicated focus on tough, physical man-to-man defense, relentless effort and rebounding and efficient, smart, low-turnover half-court offense. The feeling was that the PAL, for too long, was a somewhat soft league featuring too many lax zone defenses, too many poor shot selections and a general philosophy of "run-up-and-down" scrimmage-type fun-and-games. The style of play was simply not disciplined or well-prepared. There were no consequences. When a WCAL brand of basketball, or at least an attempt at same, was introduced on some campuses, there were more wins but also more gripes. Not everyone was pleased. Dowd (and his assistants) and Forslund, and now Molieri, changed the nature of the league. Two of those guys are gone. Molieri is the lone survivor of that trio.

Reactions: OneDNA
One more thing. The programs at Burlingame (under Dowd), HMB (under Forslund) and certainly M-A (under Molieri) have all felt the considerable influence of the WCAL. Which means they have been rebuilt (or were rebuilt) to include a dedicated focus on tough, physical man-to-man defense, relentless effort and rebounding and efficient, smart, low-turnover half-court offense. The feeling was that the PAL, for too long, was a somewhat soft league featuring too many lax zone defenses, too many poor shot selections and a general philosophy of "run-up-and-down" scrimmage-type fun-and-games. The style of play was simply not disciplined or well-prepared. There were no consequences. When a WCAL brand of basketball, or at least an attempt at same, was introduced on some campuses, there were more wins but also more gripes. Not everyone was pleased. Dowd (and his assistants) and Forslund, and now Molieri, changed the nature of the league. Two of those guys are gone. Molieri is the lone survivor of that trio.
Agreed, but I think Moilieri has a different disposition than the 2 aforementioned coaches. Although, their coaching principles are generally the same on the court, Molieri has a more personable relationship with his players. At least the one's in his rotation hahaha ;) That's not to say Richard or Dowd did not, however I think Molieri trends more to also being a player's coach and one the kids can relate more too than Richard and Dowd. IMO. That said, coaching in Atherton, all it takes is 1 parent with $$$ and the hat trick will be complete, with all 3 being on the sidelines and posting messages on NCP like all of us o_O

Agreed, but I think Moilieri has a different disposition than the 2 aforementioned coaches. Although, their coaching principles are generally the same on the court, Molieri has a more personable relationship with his players. At least the one's in his rotation hahaha ;) That's not to say Richard or Dowd did not, however I think Molieri trends more to also being a player's coach and one the kids can relate more too than Richard and Dowd. IMO. That said, coaching in Atherton, all it takes is 1 parent with $$$ and the hat trick will be complete, with all 3 being on the sidelines and posting messages on NCP like all of us o_O

You may well be correct. After all, Molieri is still in the M-A saddle. Still, we have our soiled digits crossed.

Reactions: GOTF
Just double-checked the Half Moon Bay Review website and found a telling word used by the HMB principal who was describing the qualities his school is looking for in a new boys head hoops coach: "Kindness." Never seen that trait spelled out in a coaching job search before. That's not the sole pre-requisite, of course. But it certainly says something about the apparent delicate nature of the culture in that coastal community.

Just double-checked the Half Moon Bay Review website and found a telling word used by the HMB principal who was describing the qualities his school is looking for in a new boys head hoops coach: "Kindness." Never seen that trait spelled out in a coaching job search before. That's not the sole pre-requisite, of course. But it certainly says something about the apparent delicate nature of the culture in that coastal community.
Kindness? LMFAO!!!! Maybe they need to find the next head coach at the Pre-School or Kindergarten level then! Here's one where they offer a safe enviornment, hopefully with kindness too! Maybe they can poach one of their teachers to coach! hahahahahaha
http://www.coastsidechildren.org/

Reactions: sachoopcoach
There is nothing wrong with being a kind, caring, empathetic individual. It's nice. It's just that listing that desirable trait doesn't often appear on a coaching search list. It's a bit like hoping for personal qualities like "introspective" or "reflective" or "humble" or "self-deprecating" or "optimistic" or "humorous." Where do you stop?

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with being a kind, caring, empathetic individual. It's nice. It's just that listing that desirable trait doesn't often appear on a coaching search list. It's a bit like hoping for personal qualities like "introspective" or "reflective" or "humble" or "self-deprecating." Where do you stop?
I prefer being genuine and being passionate than 'kindness'..I call my approach 'Radical Honesty'...being genuine, sincere yet firm and disciplined..Unfortunately many parents interpret 'disciplined' as a negative .
Hmmm... I may copy-write the word 'Radical honesty.
Thanks DNA for the positive comments...I think:)

Good lord, will this be Light Saber Night in Atherton??? Then again, Mike Brown and Steve Kerr has been harmonious, so why not Molieri and Forslund ;)
No comments...but will be meeting the Doctor at Dutch Goose to discuss 'options'...Beardown

No comments...but will be meeting the Doctor at Dutch Goose to discuss 'options'...Beardown
Will Coach Carson be there too? Would be interesting to see them dissect what happened in 01 in the NorCal final. Better yet, will Jeff Klenow be in attendance? If you add Jeff, Richard, and Craig, that would be and interesting Core 4 with yourself included. Who would get the much too used 'Associate Head Coach' title. Who would be Director of Player Development? Probably better to stay in your lane coach and 86 mtgs at the Flying Goose ;)

If a college or a high school gets wind of a guy who goes online and calls himself doctor while critizing his past employers i doubt they would even consider hiring him. I'm not impressed.

Holy shit, I didn't know my future employers are looking at a NorCal Preps handle I thought of in about 30 seconds. From now I will be "magna cum laude". Also, have to respect that RF is not hiding behind a screen name. Lastly, didn't really criticize his last employer besides stating the wording that was used to let him go and curious to see what direction that would be. Heavy sarcasm yes, hardly a scorched earth departure. I don't know what the principal at HMB has achieved but the Dr.'s record speaks for itself. Let's check out HMB hoops a couple of years from now. They will be able to hold pumpkin festival events in the new gym

If a college or a high school gets wind of a guy who goes online and calls himself doctor while critizing his past employers i doubt they would even consider hiring him. I'm not impressed.
What's not Impressive is this comment... The "doctor" would be a welcomed addition to a lot of programs in the area both on the college and high school level but my guess is he will sit tight until his next good opportunity comes along. As stated before the guy's record and accomplishments speak for themselves

Hey GRLUCK, your a hilarious For starters he was given the name and rolled with it. He never classified himself as the "DOCTOR". Secondly, with the name "DOCTOR", he has always made sure everyone has known he is Coach Rich Forslund. And lastly, are YOU KIDDING, you used the word EMPLOYER, LMAO. Coaching high school basketball is a damn HOBBY, 3500-6000 per season. You know how guys like the "DOCTOR" if they are not teachers manage such, because they are usually business owners who are able to create schedules for themselves so they can fulfill the needs of what it takes be successful coaches. So good trying to take a shot at the "DOCTOR", but in 28 years he has won everywhere he has coached. And has plenty of hardware to back it up. Oh and ironically his head assistant who has been with him for 20 plus years, is a retired DOCTOR, kind of why it's a running joke in a way.

SINCERELY
HSWIZARD73 aka STEVE RITCHIE, how bout you tell us your name GDLUCK990

Last edited:
LMAO, how ironic. GDLUCK is a insider to the Riordan program. He took a shot at Coach Buck stating maybe he would be uninvited as St Mary's has been in the Riordan tourney for many years now, and he highly speaks of the new coach and the great job he will do, combined with taking shots at the "DOCTOR", so again what your real name. Sounds like you have issue with two very successful and long tenured coaches who have spent way more time in the sidelines then you could ever dream of.

And GDLUCK what new energy did Riordan need. Maybe a influx of kids. The year before last Riordan won the CCS title, so what failure did a alum of Riordan, Coach Buck not have being a alum of the great Riordan days of dominance. Was he getting the kids. Your comment on a previous subject suggests as though that Coach Bick was just going thru the motions, when as a personal friend I know he busted his tail. He had days where he worked in Santa Rosa, shot to his Oakland Hills residence and shot to Riordan to run practice, sounds like he was doing everything he could, so was the administration matching his passion. Its always easy to take shots at hardworking coaches.

Reactions: OneDNA and jordan24
And GDLUCK what new energy did Riordan need. Maybe a influx of kids. The year before last Riordan won the CCS title, so what was the failure? Coach Buck being an alumni of the great Archbishop Riordan days of dominance. (In 1990 Riordan played Mater Dei for the Div 1 State title, when Coach Buckner a starter on the BB team) Was he getting the kids? Your comment on a previous subject suggests as though that Coach Buck was just going thru the motions, when as a personal friend I know he busted his tail. He had days where he worked in Santa Rosa, shot to his Oakland Hills residence and shot to Riordan to run practice, sounds like he was doing everything he could, so was the administration matching his passion. Its always easy to take shots at hardworking coaches.

I don't think Gduck990 is an insider at Archbishop Riordan. He appears to have been on the new Folsom Lake College campus recently. He has commented on 2 Sacramento area threads, commented twice on the Riordan thread, and once on the Half Moon Bay thread.

Also note the new Archbishop Riordan Coach has played for Forslund, when he attended Riordan.

I don't think Gduck990 is an insider at Archbishop Riordan. He appears to have been on the new Folsom Lake College campus recently. He has commented on 2 Sacramento area threads, commented twice on the Riordan thread, and once on the Half Moon Bay thread.

Also note the new Archbishop Riordan Coach has played for Forslund, when he attended Riordan.

Stats I know you well and you know me well. Funny how his first ever comment related to coach Buck, then relates his comments to Forslund. Coincidence, sure it can be, but regardless I have decided to come back and make a appearance as I defend all coaches. And two very good friends who I have worked with both, who I know very well to this day, I am not gonna take the jabs lightly as I defend all coaches Bay Area wide. We are lucky to have them, and Kudos to both new coaches as well, but fact is to take any shots at Coach Buck or Forslund is a joke in my book. And many of the other coaches let go these past few years Bay Area wide. Not cool at all. Good luck to both programs, but not only does it take athletes, but it takes solid coaches and the two above mentioned guys could flat out COACH.

You haven't impress anyone yet on this forum, good thing you will stay anonymous

You haven't impress anyone yet on this forum, good thing you will stay anonymous
I love the "EMPLOYER" comment. Like it's a job of some sort that one would depend on. The "EMPLOYER" should be blessed they have coaches to coach kids.

Reactions: MC415
I ran into Coach Forslund two weeks ago. I was surprised that he was my officiating partner for some CYO girls basketball games. Coach Forslund hinted something was up and I wasn't surprised to see the news a few days later.

I joked with Coach Forslund that there's always a need for officials if he doesn't get a coaching gig next season! :D

How many Varsity coaches ref CYO games? That should tell you all you need to know about Coach Forslund's passion and contribution to youth and high school basketball - boys and girls.

Reactions: Crusaders70
Nothing on the internet is anonymous. You can figure out who I am if you really want. I have some family ties to the school and have gone to many games at the forum.

RF record speaks for his ability to win. His actions get him fired and his quotes make him look like Adolf Rupp 2.0. Someone will probably hire him. I do not see a quality school interested. SHCP didnt hire the doctor before he was a media clown. This board is not a big deal yet his chron quotes were moraly depraved. Great coaches have more class; why not leave on better terms. No care for the kids, he blames their parents in the media. Dumb move.

I will refrain from further comments on this topic so the fan club may resume verbal assaults.

Nothing on the internet is anonymous. You can figure out who I am if you really want. I have some family ties to the school and have gone to many games at the forum.

RF record speaks for his ability to win. His actions get him fired and his quotes make him look like Adolf Rupp 2.0. Someone will probably hire him. I do not see a quality school interested. SHCP didnt hire the doctor before he was a media clown. This board is not a big deal yet his chron quotes were moraly depraved. Great coaches have more class; why not leave on better terms. No care for the kids, he blames their parents in the media. Dumb move.

I will refrain from further comments on this topic so the fan club may resume verbal assaults.
Since I haven't had a subscription to the Chron for a number of years, I am truly curious about his quotes. I'm sure morally depraved is a bit of hyperbole, nonetheless, I would be interested if someone can give some examples.

GDLUCK, you no longer have to comment fair game, but where is the RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PARENTS who cry to a atheletic director and elect to be anonymous. Bottom line is if parents can go behind close doors and hide themselves, in a tight knit community that Forslund does much more for when it comes to other athletics, then damn right he can answer any questions when it comes to the media. Do you think it would be fair if he stayed silent then people who respect him would then think damn what did he do wrong. As for the SH job my alum, those athletic directors are clueless. And that's why SI hands our you know what's to us every damn Bruce Mahoney. It's embarrassing. Forslund has great Olympic club connections and could have turned SH into a major force. Trust me many alum were blown away by that.

"Played" is a little strong

Joey Curtin played in more games than Marquise Kately for the 2001 NorCal Champions.

That Archbishop Riordan team played 16 games, where the winner only beat the loser by 9 points or less.

Joey Curtin played in 32 of the 37 games played that season.

Marquise Kately played in 29 of the 37 games and was the team's leading scorer.

So about 10 players played each game for Riordan that season.

Joey Curtin played in more games than Marquise Kately for the 2001 NorCal Champions.

That Archbishop Riordan team played 16 games, where the winner only beat the loser by 9 points or less.

Joey Curtin played in 32 of the 37 games played that season.

Marquise Kately played in 29 of the 37 games and was the team's leading scorer.

So about 10 players played each game for Riordan that season.
LOL, don't mess with Stats! hahahaha

@CityG, I don't think he understood your tongue in cheek post. Was funny nonetheless.

C'mon Stats, really going to compare Joey and Marquise? Good example of making numbers work in one's favor. Most impressive stat is that they won 21 games by nine or more points that season. How many of those 16 wins by 9 or less did the rabbits have a large lead before the subs came in? Hell, I might have seen the floor if I was on that team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT