ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom (13-1) vs Cathedral (12-1) in D1–AA State Bowl

SearsPoints

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2007
So, it's pretty obvious that Folsom is a big favorite in this one. I guess the question is, can Cathedral make a game out of it? I'm thinking no, I got Folsom 56-20.

Would like to hear what you all have to say on this one.

Folsom will attempt to hang 100 points if cathedral doesn’t have a good front 7 folsom will hang 50 by mid 2nd qrt

I watched a little bit of film on Cathedral and I don't see them standing a chance. I honestly feel there are multiple teams in our section that would beat Cathedral. I know last year DO beat them the first week of the season. It was last year though.

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
I remember the last time Folsom played them Wk0 @ their place 8/29/14. It was a long trip and seemed to be the 1st step in "amping up" the pre-season schedule. They were coming in as defending Section champions and had won a SBG in '08 so it seemed to be a pretty even match-up.

The campus and facilities were very impressive which fed the idea that Folsom was in for trouble traveling to "their" house. As part of the Brothers in Arms series, fans from the previous game were still hanging around to see this Fold-some team from the north take their beating at the hands of a southern power.

It was obvious from the opening snap that they hadn't seen much of Folsom. They were loading 8 guys in the box and were totally on their heels when they went for it on 4th and long on the Folsom half of the field. It ended in a Folsom win 55-10. They went undefeated through the rest of their season, until losing to Helix in the Section semis 27-5, who lost to Oceanside in the Section finals. So there is the last direct match-up and the 6 degrees of separation comparison.

I venture to say that they will be more aware of who Fold-some is this time around, but I'm not sure they have the athletes or coaching to do much about it. They seem to be very cyclical with up and down years but I'm not sure what the other conditions in their league may contribute to that. It would appear that as a parochial school, it depends on the talent they can draw to campus.

It's not much to go on, but I am expecting similar results in that I don't believe that they see anyone similar to Folsom in their section and if they are looking at tape, it would be tough for them to duplicate a DLS defensive performance and hope for 5 TOs in the red zone. If I am forced to make a prediction, I see it 63-26 with a running clock before the 4th qtr.

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
Cathedral Catholic is a one dimensional offense.They depend on their run game and are pretty pathetic in the pass game.Narbonne is actually better imo but took to long to get going after playing no one with a pulse for two months

At the DO game last year against Cathedral Catholic, one of the coaches told me they were young last season and had graduated a bunch of starters (DO had graduated most of their starters as well), but they were nowhere near the level of Folsom last season (DO was down as well), and certainly not at the level CC was when they won state the previous year. I doubt with another year of seasoning, that they are anywhere near Folsom. So, I agree with the group, I expect a running clock.

Reactions: sarpar
I remember the last time Folsom played them Wk0 @ their place 8/29/14. It was a long trip and seemed to be the 1st step in "amping up" the pre-season schedule. They were coming in as defending Section champions and had won a SBG in '08 so it seemed to be a pretty even match-up.

The campus and facilities were very impressive which fed the idea that Folsom was in for trouble traveling to "their" house. As part of the Brothers in Arms series, fans from the previous game were still hanging around to see this Fold-some team from the north take their beating at the hands of a southern power.

It was obvious from the opening snap that they hadn't seen much of Folsom. They were loading 8 guys in the box and were totally on their heels when they went for it on 4th and long on the Folsom half of the field. It ended in a Folsom win 55-10. They went undefeated through the rest of their season, until losing to Helix in the Section semis 27-5, who lost to Oceanside in the Section finals. So there is the last direct match-up and the 6 degrees of separation comparison.

I venture to say that they will be more aware of who Fold-some is this time around, but I'm not sure they have the athletes or coaching to do much about it. They seem to be very cyclical with up and down years but I'm not sure what the other conditions in their league may contribute to that. It would appear that as a parochial school, it depends on the talent they can draw to campus.

It's not much to go on, but I am expecting similar results in that I don't believe that they see anyone similar to Folsom in their section and if they are looking at tape, it would be tough for them to duplicate a DLS defensive performance and hope for 5 TOs in the red zone. If I am forced to make a prediction, I see it 63-26 with a running clock before the 4th qtr.
Those have to be some very uninformed fans to not know Folsom recent resume. I mean they've won a state title in a more impressive fashion than CC in 2010. They'd also beaten a State champion and State power in Grant (Sac) along the way. They also tangled against the National Power DLS program under the Guru coach Lad the past two years for a state title birth. I would think those fans hung around to see if Folsom's high scoring offense was as good as advertised. I know that's what I would have hung around for. Just saying....

Those have to be some very uninformed fans to not know Folsom recent resume. I mean they've won a state title in a more impressive fashion than CC in 2010. They'd also beaten a State champion and State power in Grant (Sac) along the way. They also tangled against the National Power DLS program under the Guru coach Lad the past two years for a state title birth. I would think those fans hung around to see if Folsom's high scoring offense was as good as advertised. I know that's what I would have hung around for. Just saying....

I wasn't condemning them for their ignorance. Heck, we were still excited about the idea that we had attained a level that had us ending the season against a legendary DLS squad. I suppose most casual fans south of Stockton figure that there is DLS and everybody else (still the prevailing attitude for most).

All "we" had on our resume was a few league and section titles and a single SBG win in '10 with what we knew was a VERY special group of kids. No expectations then (or now by most) that Folsom could maintain that level over an extended period of time. You don't have to go much further than the Bay area for my ignorance about some teams to be exposed, so I wasn't too surprised that they hadn't heard of Folsom football at that point.

Like most folks around the world, when we say "Folsom" they say "Oh yeah, Johny Cash!" HAHA

I don't understand how you saw it that way, I Lived in SD at the time and it was a Big Deal that Folsom was coming to play there... They were Nationally Ranked and had one of the Top QB's in the country... That Event was covered by the Newspaper and the Local TV Stations... Folsom was the Showcase Team of the Event and the prohibitive favorite against CC...

I don't know about 8 men in the box and all that because I didn't see the game, and maybe their coach had a bad game plan, I don't know...

I would hope that CC's Fan base would support their team by believing they could win the game, but your assertions that the CC Coaches and Fans thought Folsom was an Overrated team or they Underestimated Folsom Just don't make any sense based on what I saw living down there at that time...

That Game was a Big Deal in San Diego at the Time... :)

Please!!!!! Enough of Folsom taking on the likes of SJB or MD. It would be a blowout. Folsom is an excellent team and should be proud to be the State D-1 Champion after Saturday.
If sjb lost to md who beat dls by 14 and folsom lost to a very winnable game to dls, not sure how sjb crushes folsom

Plus..wasnt it sjb who asked to play folsom on twitter..doubt they would request that if they thought it would be a cake walk

And mind you folsom dropped 84 on a team who more handily beat a common opponent of dls in bucchanan

Please!!!!! Enough of Folsom taking on the likes of SJB or MD. It would be a blowout. Folsom is an excellent team and should be proud to be the State D-1 Champion after Saturday.
If sjb lost to md who beat dls by 14 and folsom lost to a very winnable game to dls, not sure how sjb crushes folsom

Plus..wasnt it sjb who asked to play folsom on twitter..doubt they would request that if they thought it would be a cake walk

And mind you folsom dropped 84 on a team who mor handily beat a common opponent of dls in buccha
You all really don't get hs football.
Wow so negative...i know hs football but also honestly we are adults here merely trying to provide analysis..we arent the players or coaches so dont be so hateful to a specific team or posters who support them..you obviously have an issue with folsom and admitting they are closing in on dls..dls is still number 1 in nor cal but folsom was equivalent to them this year...its not like 2012 and 2013 where they got blown out....you ever think that maybe the reason why folsom fans are so passionate is because not only do we love our school but also because you have people like you who do nothing but deligitamize folsom...what heppens next year if folsom beats dls...oh the argument will be its because dls is weaker...just appreciate a great team and stop hating

No Kidding... It's best if you let him talk to himself... Remember Folsom is always better on paper then on the actual field. :)

That Slow Moving Central Team doesn't Sniff the End Zone against MD or SJB... Conversely, MD or SJB's Offense would run over that Awful Folsom Defense like a Freight Train....

Giving up 46 points On the Field to that Slow Moving Central Team because "It was a Fast Paced Game" is laughable... Great Defenses hold the score down on no matter what the pace... Especially on a Lower Level Division 1-AA Team Like Central...

On The Field, MD held Open Contenders CC to 14 and SJB to 13 in back to back playoff games, and SJB Held The Open Champion MD under 20 points 2 times winning the League title and losing in the Championship.

Just Look at Week 0... On the Field, A Great Defense Open Runner up DLS, Held a "Great" 1-AA Level Offense Like Folsom to 0 points....

On the field, Folsom's "Great" D-1AA Offense has only been "Great" against Lower Level Division 1-AA or Division 2 Types of Teams... :)

What we do know is, Folsom is about to be Crowned the best 1-AA team in CA HSFB History... Their Fans should be happy, not wasting their time Convincing themselves that Folsom would win Match-up's on Paper, against Higher Level Teams they could never actually beat on the field... :)

Reactions: RidgeRider
If DLS would just win the state game, there would be no doubt. Lets just say that the debate continues because DLS has not represented well the past two years. Truth hurts.

No one from folsom said we would beat sjb or md just compete...and md just gave up 48 points to sjb before coming back...also dont forget folsom and sjb had same score difference vs chamindade whose coach said he thinks folsom could actually be competitive if not possibly beat sjb

I think folsom fans and anyone who hopes to see public schools like folsom succeed are sick and tired of those from so cal or even nor cal hate on folsom...have you even seen them play...folsom may not usually have the opportunity to be like md or sjb (other than maybe folsoms 2014 team) because they cannot accept transfers the way the so cal powers do..in fact it is a great testament to folsom to be a nationally ranked team with their program considering they are a public team...but dont forget the only reason sjb and md are where they are at is because of the last two or three years...before that, you had a dls and folsom team in 2014 that were both in top 4 nationally..just quite being so nasty about folsom when you dont know who they are and cannot appreciate folsom is phenomenal considering they are a public school

Reactions: awood1
Once again someone comments on the 2014 Folsom team being on par with MD and SJB. No doubt if the 2014 Folsom team played DLS for the third year in a row that they would have still lost by 28 points or so.

No one from folsom said we would beat sjb or md just compete...and md just gave up 48 points to sjb before coming back...also dont forget folsom and sjb had same score difference vs chamindade whose coach said he thinks folsom could actually be competitive if not possibly beat sjb

I think folsom fans and anyone who hopes to see public schools like folsom succeed are sick and tired of those from so cal or even nor cal hate on folsom...have you even seen them play...folsom may not usually have the opportunity to be like md or sjb (other than maybe folsoms 2014 team) because they cannot accept transfers the way the so cal powers do..in fact it is a great testament to folsom to be a nationally ranked team with their program considering they are a public team...but dont forget the only reason sjb and md are where they are at is because of the last two or three years...before that, you had a dls and folsom team in 2014 that were both in top 4 nationally..just quite being so nasty about folsom when you dont know who they are and cannot appreciate folsom is phenomenal considering they are a public school

Can we stop acting like folsom is a team full of residential kids. Go watch folsom play you could clearly tell the difference between the help and others. When you have 5 players from Reno and they are your 5 best players you can no longer use that “ we are just a public school” line I’m not gonna mention the other kids from sac that’s on the team. But plz stop with public school cry. Folsom brings in more talent than our private schools do in Sacramento. They are doing what Jesuit should be doing and what capital is doing

I’m sorry but I don’t see where Folsom has closed the gap between them and dls. The only difference is they played them week 0 instead of two weeks before SBG. IMO MD would have put up a running clock on dls week 0. I went to the game week 0 thinking there was a remote chance I could see history. If they played in the playoffs I wouldn’t have even bothered.

Reactions: THEOC89
Can we stop acting like folsom is a team full of residential kids. Go watch folsom play you could clearly tell the difference between the help and others. When you have 5 players from Reno and they are your 5 best players you can no longer use that “ we are just a public school” line I’m not gonna mention the other kids from sac that’s on the team. But plz stop with public school cry. Folsom brings in more talent than our private schools do in Sacramento. They are doing what Jesuit should be doing and what capital is doing

Excellent Post!!!!

Reactions: seraphstorm
If DLS would just win the state game, there would be no doubt. Lets just say that the debate continues because DLS has not represented well the past two years. Truth hurts.
They didn't rep well this year against the back to back #1 team in the nation? Please do tell.

I’m sorry but I don’t see where Folsom has closed the gap between them and dls. The only difference is they played them week 0 instead of two weeks before SBG. IMO MD would have put up a running clock on dls week 0. I went to the game week 0 thinking there was a remote chance I could see history. If they played in the playoffs I wouldn’t have even bothered.
And you don’t think Folsom has gotten any better as well? Folsom was robbed in that first game, Bennett was terrible and DLS was lucky. If you don’t believe me, go pull your head out and watch the damn game again DLS was easily outgained as well.

And you don’t think Folsom has gotten any better as well? Folsom was robbed in that first game, Bennett was terrible and DLS was lucky. If you don’t believe me, go pull your head out and watch the damn game again DLS was easily outgained as well.
Nice try with the facts Jimmy but his feelings are greater than your facts !

You nailed it! This is FOLSOM in a nutshell. And this is not a knock on the great coaching job Richardson has done there. He's mastered a offense that has beaten some very good California state powers in all sections. Now that his Folsom program is receiving major attention from kids from out of Folsom's district his program has become lethal to those programs that once had a chance. So I say this, in order to compete with Folsom now days, you'd better land some out of district top notch talent as they have excluding DLS. Lastly, I don't have a problem with the direction Richardson has taken his program in this regard. I think he's doing a disservice to his LEGACY by not scheduling a more challenging pre-season on a yearly basis with his championship resume. That means teams like DLS that are expected to beat his Folsom program. And to all of you Folsom fans, I don't care if Richardson listens to me or not. I'm just calling it the way I see it. And I'm not the only one that view it this way. So B**** and moan all you want. However, just remember coaches and knowledgeable fans on NorCal Preps are savvy enough to know what a cherry picking padded pre-season schedule looks like. YOU SCARED!!!!

Last edited:
Hey jimmy, I believe you. Now let's continue to schedule pre-season opponents on the level of DLS not Oakdale. Not saying Oakdale wouldn't give Folsom a game in which they would in most seasons. I'm just saying with the championships that Richardson has under his belt at Folsom isn't it time for him to schedule up and not down. Can you and I believe in that????

I never said anything about Folsom not having gotten better. I seen the game in person and Various parts of it on video including the fumbled turnover. Yes he was down before the ball came out. However it took slow motion video for me to see that. This is just one of many problems with Folsom fans. If he would have held on to the ball then they wouldn’t have left it in the hands of the ref. If he would have held on to the ball he still had not scored. Your assuming he would have. I say it’s about 50/50. Now in regards to Bennett being terrible. C’mon Bennett wasn’t terrible on his own I think dls had something to do with that. With all those sacks what the hell did you expect. And those were just the time they got him what about all the times they almost got him. Your a typical Folsom fan. I’m not a fan of either. I’m just telling it exactly as I see it. Lastly DLS had better field position most of the night so of course they were out gained.

I never said anything about Folsom not having gotten better. I seen the game in person and Various parts of it on video including the fumbled turnover. Yes he was down before the ball came out. However it took slow motion video for me to see that. This is just one of many problems with Folsom fans. If he would have held on to the ball then they wouldn’t have left it in the hands of the ref. If he would have held on to the ball he still had not scored. Your assuming he would have. I say it’s about 50/50. Now in regards to Bennett being terrible. C’mon Bennett wasn’t terrible on his own I think dls had something to do with that. With all those sacks what the hell did you expect. And those were just the time they got him what about all the times they almost got him. Your a typical Folsom fan. I’m not a fan of either. I’m just telling it exactly as I see it. Lastly DLS had better field position most of the night so of course they were out gained.

50/50, him scoring? From the what 1 ft. Line, ok if you say so. One of the fumbles, on a 3rd down, Bennett was being tackled, and just flung the ball forward, we said, what the hell did he do that for? It made no sense, just stupid mistakes. Folsom dominated DLS in the first half, and should’ve been ahead 7-0 at the half! Every DLS, or badmouthing Folsom person on here, is f-ing acting like DLS was much better, and dominated Folsom! That was not even close to happening. Also, that flag thrown against Daniel Ngata’s huge gain, the ref threw the flag after the play was 15 yards past the LOS. And was called for not enough on the LOS! What in hell is that? A bunch of B.S.

50/50, him scoring? From the what 1 ft. Line, ok if you say so. One of the fumbles, on a 3rd down, Bennett was being tackled, and just flung the ball forward, we said, what the hell did he do that for? It made no sense, just stupid mistakes. Folsom dominated DLS in the first half, and should’ve been ahead 7-0 at the half! Every DLS, or badmouthing Folsom person on here, is f-ing acting like DLS was much better, and dominated Folsom! That was not even close to happening. Also, that flag thrown against Daniel Ngata’s huge gain, the ref threw the flag after the play was 15 yards past the LOS. And was called for not enough on the LOS! What in hell is that? A bunch of B.S.

another typical blue field guy replaying the loss on the field on this message board as though it was a win and gesticulating as though you would have won any fictitious game in the future or past. Laughably classless and deluded.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT