ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Allocco leaves De La Salle

Just opened the chronicle and read the article. Associate Head Coach... What the hell is he going to learn from Walters? Maybe dons pressured him to get somebody locally with high rep on staff? He had a great run.

Congrats to Frank. New chapter. Hopefully you can be a positive influence on the Dons the way you were with the Spartans. Good luck.

He should be the head coach. Maybe that will be in a couple years? I have so much respect for what he did at DLS and more importantly what he represents. DLS returns 3 or 4 starters? I can't recall. They need a 6"6-6"7 big kid. That is there missing piece. I would say DLS, Moreau, & Mitty look tough going into next year.

Will someone on staff replace him??? Some of the top available coaches have already been scooped up by other programs (David Rebibo & Todd Wolfson).

Will someone on staff replace him??? Some of the top available coaches have already been scooped up by other programs (David Rebibo & Todd Wolfson).

His 2 main long time assistants, his son and Brian Sullivan both left the program over the past 2 years. I can't imagine they wouldn't go outside for the new hire. Scooter?

Regardless of who is selected for the position I just want to say that it was an amazing run for Frank at DLS. His record and success is rarely seen anywhere in the country and he will be missed at the prep level. Best of luck to you at USF!

Gus Argenal at Cal State East Bay should get a call if they are smart. Great DLS player and would be a great fit if he's willing to leave college.

Word is that Rex is leaving USF (either this year or next) to join Van Gudy's staff in Detroit. Would not be shocked if Frank is named head coach in near future.

You talk about a shocker. Wow! The big question will be who is next? Big shoes to fill. They should have a hella of a team next year. And a lot of young up and coming freshman? Who got next?

I have NO information on this topic, I'm just musing. Would Mellis leave Salesian? Frank Knight worked with Alloco early in his career. Perhaps the guy who was hired at SRV who withdraw after the parent protest? Craig Battle had a great first year at St. Mary's! Could he return to the other side of the tunnel. If Scooter Barry is around and interested, I don't see how it isn't him. I know I can't wait to see how widely or narrowly, they cast their net on this...

Reactions: Fentons Cream
Gus Argenal at Cal State East Bay should get a call if they are smart. Great DLS player and would be a great fit if he's willing to leave college.

I was thinking of the same name, but it is tough to see him going to high school route at this point. If he was interested, that is who I would want to hire.

I was thinking of the same name, but it is tough to see him going to high school route at this point. If he was interested, that is who I would want to hire.

Streak who do you see being some top candidates for the job? Nick Jones? Any of the DLS assistants?

I think the article linked above it a good start. Theo, Scooter and Gus would be at the top of the list. I would be interested what other top high school coaches they could draw.

Nick Jones isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: Fentons Cream
I think the article linked above it a good start. Theo, Scooter and Gus would be at the top of the list. I would be interested what other top high school coaches they could draw.

Nick Jones isn't going anywhere.

That's a good list! I would also throw in their Justin Joyner drew Torres. I think a good guy would be for the job Mellis (Salesian) would he leave?

Unless they are going to pay college type salary i dont see Gus leaving a head coaching position. Im anxious to see how much better on defense USF will be. Great move for coach Allaco.

Gus and Greg Clink from Chico are 2 young coaches with D1 upside if they go that route. Gus was on Clinks staff for awhile as well. I don't see Gus going the HS route either. Big shoes to fill.

They will hire someone with ties to DLS! They will not hire someone from outside. Either former player or coach, that is what they do. The commitment for the money is huge? You got to put in the work and have a system in place pretty quick. If you do not bleed DLS you will not survive.. Remember athletes do not go to DLS for basketball. Basketball is and always will be 2nd to football at that school.

Reactions: _Molon_Labe_
1st off, Frank will go down as one of the greatest high school coaches all-time. We as nor cal hoops fans are lucky too of had him in our back yard all these years.
The writing has been on the wall the last couple of years of him leaving, frank jr situation/departure, Brian stepping away and the fact that none of his excel camps were scheduled at DLS were huge hints something may be up.

As far as any of the assistants taking over, would be shocked they didn't seem to bring much to the table and have been described as "Clowns". I would think if Frank had his way it would of been his son taking over....

They will hire someone with ties to DLS! They will not hire someone from outside. Either former player or coach, that is what they do. The commitment for the money is huge? You got to put in the work and have a system in place pretty quick. If you do not bleed DLS you will not survive.. Remember athletes do not go to DLS for basketball. Basketball is and always will be 2nd to football at that school.

Frank had no DLS ties when he was hired there. While hiring a coach with ties would be ideal, they will chose the candidate they feel will win the most and hold the kids accountable and working together.

1st off, Frank will go down as one of the greatest high school coaches all-time. We as nor cal hoops fans are lucky too of had him in our back yard all these years.
The writing has been on the wall the last couple of years of him leaving, frank jr situation/departure, Brian stepping away and the fact that none of his excel camps were scheduled at DLS were huge hints something may be up.

As far as any of the assistants taking over, would be shocked they didn't seem to bring much to the table and have been described as "Clowns". I would think if Frank had his way it would of been his son taking over....
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing with the departures and the camp thing. Excel separate entiity from DLS, I think Barry is using the gym to run camps on behalf of DLS.

When Powers left Monte Vista I thought they were in trouble, Jones came and won a state championship. When Raynor left San Ramon thought they were in trouble, Botteen came and won a state championship.

Unfortunately, USF is a hoops graveyard. The administration doesn't know what to do with its athletic program. The money simply isn't there to make serious upgrades in facilities, coaching salaries, etc. The commitment to intercollegiate sports is sadly lacking. USF is a dead end.

if USF just got second tier (3 and 4 star) players from CA, OR, NV and AZ they would be competitive and fans would follow. Bringing in guys from florida and other places and sprinkling one or two local kids isn't enough. A solid run in the NIT would be enough for local fans to get behind them. Youre always gonna be second fiddle to CAL and Stanford, but people were more excited about Sac St. hoops this year. The Gales were down and still held off USF. The program needs to really key in locally. Dunbar left Wassu and they should have been all over him. Gonna be a long while before that ship is right again....

I believe major upgrades are in works for both Memorial Gymnasium and Benedetti Diamond. Baseball field renovation to start this summer.

As for basketball program. True, very little interest due to lack of local players. They seem to go outside and compliment with a local player or two. That has not worked. You need to get fans in the stands and the current formula is not working. Get a bunch of local quality kids and compliment with some out of area players. Not any different from the results now, but you'd have people in the stands.

I go to one or two USF games a year. Its great cause I can sit in corner without being crowded, relax, check my emails and facebook account, watch the talent from a visiting team and watch Walters act like a little baby who wants to take his toys home. Also, lack of people means I can go to concession without waiting.

If that is what USF wants, they have succeeded. I hope they can prove me wrong someday.

Crazy as it sounds I think people would get behind sac state hoops if they started winning like last year. People got pretty pumped about sac and uc davis. Talk about a school that needs a facility. Sacramento doesn't have as many events so the fan base is there. USF is a tough nut to crack but look at what there baseball program has done recently. It isn't impossible. Alloco forgot more today than Walters knows about coaching and motivating. Odd deal if you ask me.

Good hire to me. College experience. Has remained close to the program.

Very good pedigree. I can't remember him from that 2000 state champ team but that is just me getting old. Thx for sharing. DLS will be just fine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT