ADVERTISEMENT

GRIDLEY INVITATIONAL HISTORY AND BRACKETS

Marcskit

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2002
We welcome you to the 65th annual Gridley Invitational

WE WILL BE IN GRIDLEY. YES, WE MOVED BACK TO GRIDLEY !!!!!

Here is the history of the GIBT.

In 1953 John Valentino, teacher and coach at Gridley High school, put into action his idea of school activity. It would involve many people from differing social, geographical and economical segments of Northern California. He organized and directed the first Gridley Invitational Basketball tournament.

From the onset, the 3- day GIBT has had the reputation as a tournament that extends invitations to top California basketball teams.

Valentino’s plan was an annual event that brought people together --- visiting players living with Gridley families, allowing social barriers to dissolve as people of different races, religions and lifestyles became directly associated with one another on a daily basis. Remember that this was 1953!

This pattern for cooperative behavior continues to work in the absence of Valentino who passed away early in 1984.
From 1953 through 1977 , the GIBT was a post – season tournament. It was a popular alternative to the Tournament of Champions ( TOC ) , which was held each year at the end of the basketball season.

In fact the GIBT was so popular that some teams that earned the privilege of participating in the TOC , chose to play in the GIBT instead.

This caused the CIF officials to make the decision to have only one post season tournament to determine the ultimate champion. This change occurred in 1978, the only year there was not a GIBT.
Gridley High School resumed the GIBT as a pre-season tournament in 1979, and it has continued to be one of the most prestigious varsity basketball tournaments for high school boys in Northern California.

Throughout the history of the GIBT , local families have opened their homes each year to house the visiting teams. The friendships that have developed through these arrangements have been many, and long-lasting.

Thursday Brackets --- December 6th

4:00-pm. Dublin - Branson

5:30 - Sheldon - James Logan

7:00 - Gridley - Salesian

8:30- St. Joseph - Archbishop Riordan

At least 3 to 4 teams from the GIBT have wound up in the open the last few years, and two teams went to the last two, open state finals.

Here is a preview of the teams for this year’s up and coming tournament.

Dublin – Returns a nice core group, headlined by Robby Beasley, with a solid Junior Varsity group moving up this year.

ST. Joseph – It’s a long welcome back for this team. They last appeared at the GIBT in 1955, Sixty three years ago. Coach Lippi is familiar with the tournament, having coached a Alejandro Thomas led St. Ignatius team here in 93’ and 95’ They return most of their starting lineup from last year.

Salesian- Fast becoming the local house band. Making their 10th appearance in a row. James Akinjo is gone but they still have a solid roster

James Logan- Word from the coach is they are matured and ready to battle. They return after a 17 year hiatus.

Branson- The little engine that could, and a Gridley favorite. The two years Branson came to Gridley, they won two State Championships. Their record was 60 wins and four losses. Their losses were at our tournament, against teams like State Runner up Newark Memorial, and one of the top teams from Texas, in overtime.

Sheldon- We welcome them back for their second year attending the GIBT. I am Looking forward to seeing how this team has matured from last year.

Archbishop Riordan- With one of the better guards in the WCAL and some new players on the horizon we look for a competitive group of players.

Gridley- Last year was one of the best teams Gridley has had in several years. They have some good young players returning. It is fair to say they get to play up, and will have their hands full as usual.

And as always, here’s wishing you great hoops

Last edited:
We welcome you to the 65th annual Gridley Invitational

REMEMBER!!! THE TOURNAMENT WILL BE HELD AT YUBA CITY HIGH SCHOOL- 850 B ST. YUBA CITY.

Here is the history of the GIBT.

In 1953 John Valentino, teacher and coach at Gridley High school, put into action his idea of school activity. It would involve many people from differing social, geographical and economical segments of Northern California. He organized and directed the first Gridley Invitational Basketball tournament.

From the onset, the 3- day GIBT has had the reputation as a tournament that extends invitations to top California basketball teams.

Valentino’s plan was an annual event that brought people together --- visiting players living with Gridley families, allowing social barriers to dissolve as people of different races, religions and lifestyles became directly associated with one another on a daily basis. Remember that this was 1953!

This pattern for cooperative behavior continues to work in the absence of Valentino who passed away early in 1984.
From 1953 through 1977 , the GIBT was a post – season tournament. It was a popular alternative to the Tournament of Champions ( TOC ) , which was held each year at the end of the basketball season.

In fact the GIBT was so popular that some teams that earned the privilege of participating in the TOC , chose to play in the GIBT instead.

This caused the CIF officials to make the decision to have only one post season tournament to determine the ultimate champion. This change occurred in 1978, the only year there was not a GIBT.
Gridley High School resumed the GIBT as a pre-season tournament in 1979, and it has continued to be one of the most prestigious varsity basketball tournaments for high school boys in Northern California.

Throughout the history of the GIBT , local families have opened their homes each year to house the visiting teams. The friendships that have developed through these arrangements have been many, and long-lasting.

Thursday Brackets --- December 6th

4:00-pm. Dublin - Branson

5:30 - Sheldon - James Logan

7:00 - Gridley - Salesian

8:30- St. Joseph - Archbishop Riordan

At least 3 to 4 teams from the GIBT have wound up in the open the last few years, and two teams went to the last two, open state finals.

Here is a preview of the teams for this year’s up and coming tournament.

Dublin – Returns a nice core group, headlined by Robby Beasley, with a solid Junior Varsity group moving up this year.

ST. Joseph – It’s a long welcome back for this team. They last appeared at the GIBT in 1955, Sixty three years ago. Coach Lippi is familiar with the tournament, having coached a Alejandro Thomas led St. Ignatius team here in 93’ and 95’ They return most of their starting lineup from last year.

Salesian- Fast becoming the local house band. Making their 10th appearance in a row. James Akinjo is gone but they still have a solid roster

James Logan- Word from the coach is they are matured and ready to battle. They return after a 17 year hiatus.

Branson- The little engine that could, and a Gridley favorite. The two years Branson came to Gridley, they won two State Championships. Their record was 60 wins and four losses. Their losses were at our tournament, against teams like State Runner up Newark Memorial, and one of the top teams from Texas, in overtime.

Sheldon- We welcome them back for their second year attending the GIBT. I am Looking forward to seeing how this team has matured from last year.

Archbishop Riordan- With one of the better guards in the WCAL and some new players on the horizon we look for a competitive group of players.

Gridley- Last year was one of the best teams Gridley has had in several years. They have some good young players returning. It is fair to say they get to play up, and will have their hands full as usual.

And as always, here’s wishing you great hoops

Looking a bit disrespectful to have Salesian as the top seed and letting the 2 other privates play the late game. Sheldon supposed to be the top team in Nor Cal and you give the 3 privates Prime Time. Hmmm

yes

The Gridley Fair Grounds is place the people who lost homes in the Camp Fire are being cared for.

Looking a bit disrespectful to have Salesian as the top seed and letting the 2 other privates play the late game. Sheldon supposed to be the top team in Nor Cal and you give the 3 privates Prime Time. Hmmm

En4cr, I will just assume you are uninformed as to running a tournament. And certainly not familiar with the GIBT. I will take the time to give you some clarity as to issues faced, when we are making the bracket.

Number one- We did decide, Sheldon was the clear no.1 seed.

Number two - Sheldon is a local team with the shortest travel time not counting Gridley.

Number three - We had requests to put teams later because of that very issue, some could not leave school to early.

Number four - We had to take into consideration teams that had already played games against each other, or were going to play each other in the very near future.

Number five - We have "NEVER" differentiated between a Public or Private, when deciding where to place a team at Gridley.
I know this because, I do the doing

Very sorry you took things the way you did. We always, respect each and every team that comes to the GIBT.

I hope this clearafies why we made the decisions we did.

Here's wishing you great hoops

En4cr, I will just assume you are uninformed as to running a tournament. And certainly not familiar with the GIBT. I will take the time to give you some clarity as to issues faced, when we are making the bracket.

Number two - Sheldon is a local team with the shortest travel time not counting Gridley.

Number three - We had requests to put teams later because of that very issue, some could not leave school to early.

Number four - We had to take into consideration teams that had already played games against each other, or were going to play each other in the very near future.

Number five - We have "NEVER" differentiated between a Public or Private, when deciding where to place a team at Gridley.

Very sorry you took things the way you did. We always, respect each and every team that comes to the GIBT.

Branson is going to be a heck of an "out" for anybody. 30 win team returns a lot of good players. That Dublin game should be a doozy. (is beasley playing? If not wouldn't be surprised if Branson pulls the W)

Salesian is Salesian. Get ready for a well coached/prepared team with great guard play. But clearly Sheldon is favorite.

It is interesting that riordan got what appears to be a 3 seed after losing to Dublin at
The norcal tip off classic but hey it's Gridley there is no running or ducking every team
is good and Larry you are correct Branson is good.Alot of good first day matchups
looking forward to Logan and sheldon as well as st Joe's vs riordan.

Last edited:

So know I get it. You invite top teams to your tournament, they accept with the condition of a late game on opening night because of travel. If I'm the top seed I'm still offended even given your reasoning. Teams know the perils of signing up for a tournament 150+ miles away. No apology for expressing my opinion on selection. They could have posted schedule months ago given those parameters.

So know I get it. You invite top teams to your tournament, they accept with the condition of a late game on opening night because of travel. If I'm the top seed I'm still offended even given your reasoning. Teams know the perils of signing up for a tournament 150+ miles away. No apology for expressing my opinion on selection. They could have posted schedule months ago given those parameters.

All the players go to school. Not sure why any school would be given a time slot preference over another school based on that. . . .

Dublin got the short end. Early game, longest distance, and seeded below a team they just beat.

Not sure why people are complaining about brackets. This isn’t a post season playoff bracket. This is an early preseason event where the directors have made it clear that making sure teams that have played each other or will play each other aren’t matched up in the first round. This is the best tournament in Northern California on a yearly basis. You would know that if you took your team to this event. There is not a tournament in Norcal that is like this one. The hospitality that both players and coaches get is second to none. The competition that teams get is outstanding. Almost every year Gridley produces teams from their tournament that win or get to a state championship. Multiple times they have produced teams that win a state championship, but didn’t win the Gridley tournament. I know first hand.

It is getting way too easy to complain about everything these days. The teams come to this tournament because its the best event to be apart of, and the competition is great. I don’t really think coaches are complaining about matchups unless its a team they already played or play later in the year. It’s far more important to schedule games based on that criteria than making sure you get seeds 1-8 perfect in an early preseason tournament.

I highly doubt that Joey is complaining that they didn’t get Gridley in the first round. He is a competitor that would rather play 3 competitive games than 2. I have never known a coach to seek out great competition as much as Joey does. He will throw his team in a van and drive 8 hours to play 3 games on a Sunday after playing 2 games locally on Saturday if he is playing top tier competition. He is committed! I have a lot of respect for how committed he is. Same can be said for Salesian. Historically, Salesian has had several very tough first round games where the seeding wasn’t perfect. Yet Bill still brings his team back year after year because the event is great. Preseason Brackets are never seeded correctly. Real coaches don’t care about that in the preseason because they are looking for as many challenges as they can find for their teams to grow from. In the playoffs, most coaches care about proper seeding. I haven’t seen great seeding in the playoffs for over 20 years and they have everyon’s season records and league records and head to head matchups to go off of and the Cif still messes it up.

Everyone at Gridley has their hands full right now with helping and serving many families who have been affected by the tragic fires. If there is a year to give anyone a break with the complaining rhetoric, its this year. The people that run the Gridley tournament are some of the best people I have had the pleasure to meet over the last 20 years involved in High School basketball. Let’s do our best to support such dedicated individuals instead of nitpicking at seedlings in an early season event. I apologize for the long post!

Coach J

Gridley is always the doormat 8 seed . With that said Salesian is there baby and given the one seed. That makes Riordan 4 and St Joes 5.
On the other side
#3 Dublin and Branson #6
#2 Sheldon and Logan # 7
It’s funny how he Marcskit claim
Number four - We had to take into consideration teams that had already played games against each other, or were going to play each other in the very near
Maybe you can explain how last year you put Folsom ,and Woodcreek ( same league ) and met 2nd day ,along with SHELDON and Capital on the same side. SHELDON met All 3 teams twice and Folsom ended up playing Woodcreek 3 times. Can’t wait for that response

And En4cr to add to your point no team is 150+ miles away according to Google Maps.

The #31 team in the nation griping over this? 1st world problems for real. What ever happened to lace em up and play who’s in front of you?

Reactions: Coach_Fields
@Heat

I wasn’t a fan of last years seeding nor do I think this years is perfect. With that said, its not a conspiracy. If anything, I thought you would rather play Logan than Gridley. Would you really rather play a team that you will beat by 100? I am usually on your side of debates.

It’s way too easy to logically poke holes at the brackets at the Gridley tournament on almost any year. You can poke holes in just about any preseason tournament. I know you love to post facts and you do a great job at your research. All I am saying, is that in this instance, it might be better to do the right thing than to be right. Sometimes being right is worse than just doing the right thing. I hope you understand what I mean. Most married people will. Lol

I am looking forward to watching Sheldon beat 3 top Bay Area teams next week. You should be grateful to be apart of a program that attracts so much talent and has such an amazing schedule. I hope you don’t take the Gridley seedlings personally. You guys represent a lot more than just Sheldon Basketball now days.

Coach J

@ JZJ I’m not complaining nor do I care. I guess it’s my fault for not quoting better. The first part of the post was answering @bones40 and @Norcalbuckets thinking Riordan got a 3 seed over Dublin.
The 2nd part was in reference as quoted to the markskit excuse of not playing teams you might play in near future. I gave an example of this not being the case. But go ahead and pounce on me . He also carried on about travel. All teams are within 1hr or 2 at most. So poor reasoning. So go take it as you may I’m just commenting on others statements

Reactions: Norcalbuckets
@Heat, I get it. I hope you don’t think I am coming down on you at all. Your replies are usually on point. I apologize if you took it that way. There are many on here that hide identities and take cheap shots at people and even players who are still kids themselves. I have always respected your posts and how you defend players and your program when unfairly criticized. Keep up the good work!

Coach J

Of course Sheldon will show up and want to play the best teams, and at the best times. I will say the town of Gridley and the tournament staff do a great job in running this tournament and the players love staying with host families. Hopefully the hiccup with the gym will not deter from the great tournament atmosphere.
It's amazing what one post will do to get the board buzzing.

Last edited:
Amen to Coach J. This is a great tournament. They are dealing with even more difficult circumstances this year due to Camp Fire. Hats off to everyone up at Gridley. We (folsom) played their last year and it was one of the highlights of our season. We would welcome a chance to return whether seeded 1, 8 or anything in between. To play in this tournament is a privilege.

Reactions: BadBucks
Dublin took a bunch of supplies to the area a few days after the fire. I am sure they could use much more.

Essentials: Bidwell Presbyterian Church, 208 W. First St., Chico is a donation drop-off center for the Red Cross, open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Current needs include: diapers (child/adult), toiletries, first aid supplies, feminine hygiene products, water, and snack foods and nonperishable foods.

@ JZJ I’m not complaining nor do I care. I guess it’s my fault for not quoting better. The first part of the post was answering @bones40 and @Norcalbuckets thinking Riordan got a 3 seed over Dublin.
The 2nd part was in reference as quoted to the markskit excuse of not playing teams you might play in near future. I gave an example of this not being the case. But go ahead and pounce on me . He also carried on about travel. All teams are within 1hr or 2 at most. So poor reasoning. So go take it as you may I’m just commenting on others statements

Geography 101. The only schools within 2 hours are Gridley and Sheldon. Considering afternoon traffic getting out of the Bay Area, it's a 2+ hour slog on 680/80 to yuba city

Geography 101. The only schools within 2 hours are Gridley and Sheldon. Considering afternoon traffic getting out of the Bay Area, it's a 2+ hour slog on 680/80 to yuba city
I Understand Bay Area traffic. Facts 101 .... Outside of SHELDON All remaining schools are within 100 miles Salesian to 133 for Logan and st Joes . So to my point all these are coming through Bay Area and are relatively close in mileage and should not be a factor in seeding a tourney. When you accept invite to a tourney you know the parameters and could play any game between 4 and 8 start. Prepare yourself. By the way I pulled the times off google maps which gives a real time estimate of travel time. And all six were within 30 minutes of each other

I Understand Bay Area traffic. Facts 101 .... Outside of SHELDON All remaining schools are within 100 miles Salesian to 133 for Logan and st Joes . So to my point all these are coming through Bay Area and are relatively close in mileage and should not be a factor in seeding a tourney. When you accept invite to a tourney you know the parameters and could play any game between 4 and 8 start. Prepare yourself. By the way I pulled the times off google maps which gives a real time estimate of travel time. And all six were within 30 minutes of each other
SF City Traffic 101: Just driving to get out of the City onto the Bay Bridge after 2pm can take an hour +. Lol!

Not sure Logan has much of a chance against Sheldon and they have MC after this. These two games will get them battle tested at the very least.

Not sure why people are complaining about brackets. This isn’t a post season playoff bracket. This is an early preseason event where the directors have made it clear that making sure teams that have played each other or will play each other aren’t matched up in the first round. This is the best tournament in Northern California on a yearly basis. You would know that if you took your team to this event. There is not a tournament in Norcal that is like this one. The hospitality that both players and coaches get is second to none. The competition that teams get is outstanding. Almost every year Gridley produces teams from their tournament that win or get to a state championship. Multiple times they have produced teams that win a state championship, but didn’t win the Gridley tournament. I know first hand.

It is getting way too easy to complain about everything these days. The teams come to this tournament because its the best event to be apart of, and the competition is great. I don’t really think coaches are complaining about matchups unless its a team they already played or play later in the year. It’s far more important to schedule games based on that criteria than making sure you get seeds 1-8 perfect in an early preseason tournament.

I highly doubt that Joey is complaining that they didn’t get Gridley in the first round. He is a competitor that would rather play 3 competitive games than 2. I have never known a coach to seek out great competition as much as Joey does. He will throw his team in a van and drive 8 hours to play 3 games on a Sunday after playing 2 games locally on Saturday if he is playing top tier competition. He is committed! I have a lot of respect for how committed he is. Same can be said for Salesian. Historically, Salesian has had several very tough first round games where the seeding wasn’t perfect. Yet Bill still brings his team back year after year because the event is great. Preseason Brackets are never seeded correctly. Real coaches don’t care about that in the preseason because they are looking for as many challenges as they can find for their teams to grow from. In the playoffs, most coaches care about proper seeding. I haven’t seen great seeding in the playoffs for over 20 years and they have everyon’s season records and league records and head to head matchups to go off of and the Cif still messes it up.

Everyone at Gridley has their hands full right now with helping and serving many families who have been affected by the tragic fires. If there is a year to give anyone a break with the complaining rhetoric, its this year. The people that run the Gridley tournament are some of the best people I have had the pleasure to meet over the last 20 years involved in High School basketball. Let’s do our best to support such dedicated individuals instead of nitpicking at seedlings in an early season event. I apologize for the long post!

Coach J[/QUOTE

JZJ
To you and everyone else, including the unhappy ones.

Last edited:
Any streams for the Tourney? The semis of Dublin/ Sheldon & Salesian/Riordan ( guard matchup) looks great on paper

I 2nd RJ223

Hope there is a stream, or at the very least live quarter to quarter updates of how the action is going up there in Gridley!

I'll be up there, so my usual semi-lucid accounts of the action will appear on this board...

If for some reason the above-mentioned Dublin stream or other options don't work for ya, my blathering will be good for a laugh.. :)

Reactions: jordan24
GOOD MORNING GRIDLEYYYY!!!!!!

(Geez, I think I heard that in a movie or something...) :)

That would be an emphatic no semi final Friday night should be two really good games.

I think the Joe's/ Riordan Game will be the best 1st Rd game. A Lippi coached team is always dangerous

Reactions: SmoothJay
Not sure if True, but is Bryce Monroe officially eligible now?
Yes. He played his first game last Friday. He was not 100%, though, with a nagging knee injury. Hope the past few days have provided the time he needs to fully recover as well as for the team to work on their D and offensive scheme together. They will need to play a lot better if they are to be successful as the Gridley Tourney is always loaded with top notch teams.

Last edited:
Watch all the GIBT Games courtesy of Dublin GaelsTV:
http://www.gaelsvb.com/gaels-tv.html

First Round Games - Thursday, Dec 6th
4pm: Branson vs Dublin
5:30pm: James Logan vs Sheldon
7pm: Salesian vs Gridley
8:30pm: St. Joseph-Notre Dame vs Archbishop Riordan

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT