ADVERTISEMENT

GRIDLEY INVITATIONAL HISTORY AND BRACKETS

56-53 now... Pilots ball with 54.4 left... Down the stretch they come!

Pilots time out 19 secs left... Pilots ball in forecourt... Still 56-53 Crusaders

Vaughns sinks yet ANOTHER bomb to tie it, 12 secs left... Crusaders zip downcourt, Monroe sinks a 12-footer to win it.

Great game!

Last edited:
Logan obviously isn't on the level of Sheldon, Salesian, Modesto Christian and lack of size will really hurt them in many games but I like how they decided to schedule their preseason. They'll be more then well tested come time for league and should be in a position to go relatively far in the playoffs, maybe make it to the state bracket.

The Thompsons are a really fun and good backcourt, really like how they're relentless on defense while pushing the pace and being able to shoot. They also go really well with Hawkins and Steadman. The team goes as far as these four take them, I'm optimistic about this team. It's gonna be fun to see them finish off the preseason against teams more of their own caliber.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Logan obviously isn't on the level of Sheldon, Salesian, Modesto Christian and lack of size will really hurt them in many games but I like how they decided to schedule their preseason. They'll be more then well tested come time for league and should be in a position to go relatively far in the playoffs, maybe make it to the state bracket.

The Thompsons are a really fun and good backcourt, really like how they're relentless on defense while pushing the pace and being able to shoot. They also go really well with Hawkins and Steadman. The team goes as far as these four take them, I'm optimistic about this team. It's gonna be fun to see them finish off the preseason against teams more of their own caliber.

They are very talented. Lack of size and coaching will prevent a state run. Talent can only get you so far. You can tell a big difference in the discipline and game management without the Bush family being there. But they should tie for league with Moreau.

What a clutch shot by Bryce. Big time shot maker. Him and Je’Lani easily best backcourt in NorCal. Like the kid Riny also. He can really shoot the ball. Kid Julian from St. Joes was on fire. Does he normally shoot the ball like that? Wonder what his recruitment looking like.

Sheldon didn’t look as impressive as they did at tip-off but we all know they will pull it together and should win the Gridley Tournament. Although Salesian and Riordan can give them a run for their money.

They are very talented. Lack of size and coaching will prevent a state run. Talent can only get you so far. You can tell a big difference in the discipline and game management without the Bush family being there. But they should tie for league with Moreau.

What a clutch shot by Bryce. Big time shot maker. Him and Je’Lani easily best backcourt in NorCal. Like the kid Riny also. He can really shoot the ball. Kid Julian from St. Joes was on fire. Does he normally shoot the ball like that? Wonder what his recruitment looking like.

Sheldon didn’t look as impressive as they did at tip-off but we all know they will pull it together and should win the Gridley Tournament. Although Salesian and Riordan can give them a run for their money.
It looked like Sheldon was toying with Logan for much of the game. Sheldon played a soft man-to-man for the first half and then went into some sort of 3/4 trapping zone in the 4th. That's when the flood gates opened and the men were separated from the boys! Seemed like the announcers on the live streamed telecast kept harping on the fact that Logan needs to play team basketball. It did seem like they went 1-on-1 a lot and there wasn't much ball movement or screens. For a senior heavy team, that's surprising. Do they have a new coach?

Sheldon is head and shoulders above the rest of NorCal. They have a GSW quality about them this year. They can be disinterested and still destroy the opposition. I think the limb I’m going out on is pretty sturdy when I say that they’ll be in the open state title game. They could have injuries and still make it.

This year's Sheldon team may be the deepest in recent memory. I do have them getting a rematch vs Sierra Canyon in this season's Open Final however they are going to make one change for that game and thats at having someone (taller) playing most of the PG minutes. Nguyen is a very solid player however in years past in the Final, the South has had a very big advantage at PG either with a taller or more physical player at point.

No doubt Sheldon will need to put the clamps on Pippen and the way to do that is matching up with a bigger player than 5'10 Nguyen. 2013 Mitty vs Mater Dei final, Mitty had a very capable Matt McAndrews at point but was a liability due to his size against the taller/physical Mater Dei guards; i.e. MD basically had Stanley Johnson bring the ball up and ran offensive through him. Gordon needed to be put on Cage and there was no one to really check Johnson.

In contrast, O'Dowd had a 5'10 Paris Austin go up against the usual MD team. The difference was Austin is able to create his own shot and get to the rim even at 5'10. I dont think Nguyen can do that. He can definitely be that wing 3-pt shooter that could be swing the game towards Sheldon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT