ADVERTISEMENT

HAAS Pavilion MLK Showcase Monday

Both of these teams would beat Any of the teams from earlier today. OL is a lot like DLS. Impressive group of kids. Like a heavy weight fight but it looks like DLS will prevail.

48-39 DLS with 1:44

ThJamar is doing his best but completely oversized. Hillman is asked to do a lot on defense and doesn't get to play his game he is a slasher and doesn't get the inside pass. Nate is a shooter not a dribbler. This the time for a coach to coach these talented player.

I think what hurt alot was the transfer of Nifai Tonga. He was going to be our skilled size and toughness inside. SH has been in alot of the games during league which is encouraging. I honestly think Coach Barbour needs to explore having Pardini play the majority of the minutes at center. Short of Barbour getting another Oakland kid, I dont see SH's fortunes changing or making another deep run in the playoffs.

I think what hurt alot was the transfer of Nifai Tonga. He was going to be our skilled size and toughness inside. SH has been in alot of the games during league which is encouraging. I honestly think Coach Barbour needs to explore having Pardini play the majority of the minutes at center. Short of Barbour getting another Oakland kid, I dont see SH's fortunes changing or making another deep run in the playoffs.
I thought that myself. Same with Jamar. Coach should have these guys hit the weight room in the off-season.

Last edited:
What's the deal with Asiasi, not there

Still with football. 2nd week of January was at the Army All American Bowl. Recently visited Washington with Boss....a little busy to focus 100% on hoops. Supposedly his decision will be made February 3.

All MC in 2nd half. They did a good job in containing young down low.

MC 77
Sac 67

Terrell brown 25
Solomon young 22
I think sac gave that game away. Young was a beast, and Terrell played a good first half. But he disappeared in the 2nd half. If he can learn to take over sac will go very deep in playoffs

Sac gave it away for sure. What is Young's usage rate? Whatever that number is times it by 2, square it, and add 10 cuz thats what it should be..
Sac and MC are the same team. It just came down to FG% and MC hit in the 4th. Too many forced jumpshots by both sides and yes CT needs to be more selfish. Sac has too many players and sorry to say but they all cant ball out. I wish they woulda played inside out with Solo and let him create. He passes well when double/triple teamed and then the shooters will have more time to get a better shot off.

I thought Sac would blow this game open, they were ahead by 10 on two different occasions and then they just had poor shot selection. Moreau will not be the team to beat in open, as I think Modesto Chritian and DLS and Sac will be the favorites. Give credit to Young he dominated Oscar and asserted his willl...

I don't get Terrell. Reminds me of a kid who looks the part but when going gets tough disappears. Everything is cool.... Passing, ball fakes, etc... But isn't a gamer. How does a 6"5 2 guard going to UCSB not average 20+ in HS? If you can't score in HS you aren't going to score at the next level. And yes sometimes you have to be selfish to win. Also, I've never seen more 5"8 200 lb guards than Sac high has. Where do they recruit these kids. Like Vinnie Johnson all over again.

Young is a beast. He's going to do well at Iowa State. I can't say enough good things.

I still think Modesto Christian, Folsom, and DLS are in a higher tier.

Young dominated and was a complete beast, asserting his will in the first half. But the constant double teaming by Oscar & Co wore him down in the second half and the Mariners stepped up when they needed to to pick up the victory.

Sac High didnt recruit any of these kids. They're Sac High, they dont need to recruit. You might think cuz you look at stats or see them not contribute much in the big games that they arent factors but Sac has a ridiculous collection of talent. CT is a natural unselfish QB. He rebounds, steals, passes first and then scores. Averaging 20+ ppg on this team wont happen, it doesnt need to happen. You should watch more teams instead of looking at stats.

Reactions: oak2sac
Great win for Moreau Catholic. They took care of business when they needed to. No one on this board gave them a chance to win this game (except Twitter Legend) and as you said were down at least 8 twice and won going away by double digits.

They actually won the game right? lol

So they knock off Sierra Canyon (when they were top 5 in country) and then knock off Sac High (when they were 16 in country *Maxpreps*) who ran through Gridley and was undefeated and still no props?

I like Sac High and think they will give teams issues in the open. I also like Modesto Christian because of the height and they typically do well in post season. I like De La Salle because Nick is a stud and Jordan can flat out shoot it. I like Moreau because they get after it defensively and coach Knight does a great job of handling that program.

The open will be fun!

Reactions: hoopwilla
Fenton, if Moreau loses, they lose becasue they don't play as as a team, Knight doesn't know how to coach etc. If Moreau wins, is because the other team gave it away and the Moreau kids should be running track SMH... Let's see, that track kid Oscar hit clutch 3 pointers along with some great defense to start the run. That guy that can't lead Damari, controlled the tempo in key moments, yet he can't lead...the other kid should be running track too Terrell Brown, only had huge a couple of huge 3 pointers...oh and that coach that can't coach Knight, made critical adjustments to defending Young, but he can't coach right?.....who needs the Apollo, the Punchline or Cobbs comedy club, just come to this board and get a laugh as some of the posters that think they know more than all the basketball college coaches that are recruiting these "track" kids. LOL

this message board consists of basically 2 things now... over-analysis of SHC on EVERY SINGLE THREAD (pick one and leave it there please, not everyone cares) and people not crediting and/or dismissing Moreau Catholic lol... props to them for another GREAT win.. don't sleep on them as the team that sees Chino Hills in March... their "track athletes" might actually have the best shot of all these teams to keep up with the run and gun Ball brothers...

Watched a lot of high school hoop this weekend. ESPN, the Cube and made it out to Haas at 4pm. DLS, Modesto and Folsom should contend for NORCAL. I give slight advantage to DLS. Modesto one dimensional and Folsom just not enough power. Sac lost last night due to just bad coaching! How can you bout keep feeding Soloman Young in 2nd half. He dominated Oscar..
SoCal is just to strong for NorCal in Open? Sierra and Chino just will be to much for who ever comes out of North. Dls definitely can use Asiasi.. That will be the only way they can contend with Sierra and Chino. Looks like the defense everyone is trying against DLS is face guard Ratinho and make everyone else beat you. Has not worked yet, kid is just to unselfish.

How could Sierra Canyon be too much for anyone coming out of the North when they already lost to Moreau this year????

For those that have blinders on. Sac = SC = Moreau. Thats not said to be negative. An abundance of athletes that rely on talent and FG%. Eyefordagame mentioned the main reason why MC beat Sac and that was an adjustment to Young. I noticed it too. But MC depended on those threes in the 4th. So many horrible shots I really wanted to stop watching. I watched Sac almost beat SC last year at Maxpreps in Palm Springs. The game was well over 200 possessions and these 3 teams thrive and die by that. Im guessing thats what happens when you have that much talent. This loss really just made Sac Hi more dangerous and with something to prove.

DLS has the ability to beat any of these team by +15 pts. Just better execution and kids that know roles. They value possessions. The Sac vs MC game was hard to watch. Basically a pick up game. I can't figure out Frayer. He reminds me of the kid from Westchester a few years back who ended up at SD STATE. (went to St Johns first... Polee). Anyway all athlete. Doesn't translate well to the next level. You have to have skills. Young from Sac High plays so hard and is ferocious on the boards. Is he undersized? Maybe a little but he plays more like 6"9 so I don't think that is an issue.

Ratinho has the best up side to any of these kids. He's a legit 6"5 and probably ends up being 6"6. Incredible BBall IQ with range to 25+. Underrated athlete. Had a big throw down on a break last night. Reminds me a lot of the Barry kids back in the day. USF got a steal.

ThJamar is doing his best but completely oversized. Hillman is asked to do a lot on defense and doesn't get to play his game he is a slasher and doesn't get the inside pass. Nate is a shooter not a dribbler. This the time for a coach to coach these talented player.

Honestly what SH needs is a whole crop of actual players who don't want to just do it their way. These guys need to be controlled since they can't play on their own. Having the ball in your hand and being told to just go is not the answer. Hollins is the only one that knows how to play. Robinson is a flat out disappointment as he now has a chance to prove how good he can be by running this team and he struggles just bringing the ball up. Wasn't he working with a former Cal player and training with him? So how's that working out? Hillman has no skill to fall back on. His shot is terrible and when they try and run sets him and Carter are lost on half of them. To move Hollins inside is a terrible idea because if you think he gets attention now if he were in the post it would be easy to double him and let anyone else beat you. SH would score like 35 points per game if that was the case. It's harder to double someone out on the perimeter because of the gaps it leaves open. Define roles for these kids and if they are not willing to do them find someone else who will. Hell, play the bench players more if you have to. What have you got to lose? They are 0-4 in league and have to start finding out if the younger players can help not only next year but years after that. At this point figure out what you have and your only hope is to try and a make a run at CCS is they are even qualified for that.

Honestly what SH needs is a whole crop of actual players who don't want to just do it their way. These guys need to be controlled since they can't play on their own. Having the ball in your hand and being told to just go is not the answer. Hollins is the only one that knows how to play. Robinson is a flat out disappointment as he now has a chance to prove how good he can be by running this team and he struggles just bringing the ball up. Wasn't he working with a former Cal player and training with him? So how's that working out? Hillman has no skill to fall back on. His shot is terrible and when they try and run sets him and Carter are lost on half of them. To move Hollins inside is a terrible idea because if you think he gets attention now if he were in the post it would be easy to double him and let anyone else beat you. SH would score like 35 points per game if that was the case. It's harder to double someone out on the perimeter because of the gaps it leaves open. Define roles for these kids and if they are not willing to do them find someone else who will. Hell, play the bench players more if you have to. What have you got to lose? They are 0-4 in league and have to start finding out if the younger players can help not only next year but years after that. At this point figure out what you have and your only hope is to try and a make a run at CCS is they are even qualified for that.

SH's ceiling this year would be CCS Finals. I doubt they would win that. Realistically their season should end in either the CCS quarterfinals or semifinals. Riordan/SI/Burlingame should be the favorites out of D3.

Barbour and the athletic department need to pull another Greene out of Oakland or a Johns out of E. Palo Alto because this current setup is .500 at best.

I just want you guys to know that I tried really hard not to go here but I have been on this board for some time...... back when Sweet Pea was studying for the bar exam and would come on here and thrash some of you for your blatantly absurd comments and stances. I usually only dabble in here, it has turned into grown men with an axe to grind. I tell myself all the time that its just the nature of todays sports and as long as the negativity is about adults, we'll hell they are big boys they can deal with it themselves. But when you target kids, especially kids you know more likely than not read this blog.... you are an asshole

I am a registered republican..... I hate when people use the race card..... but when you say things like, "Just better execution and kids that know roles. They value possessions." or "This kid is a freakishly good athlete but should run track", or "It reminded me of a pick up game" or "They win because they have better athletes or more horses" and the team is predominately black and the coach is Black you are straddling a interesting line.

When the best coached teams with the best real players are at DLS, Modesto Christian and Folsom, then my next question is why do you say that?

I read in here for at least a year that Lou Ritchie (O'Dowd) couldn't coach, that he had all the horses, that they under- achieved. That they should have done this or done that. They eventually won the open state title. Hard to do with out a coach that knows what they are doing.

I read in here many times on how Mike Booker (El Cerrito) cant coach. Just recently in fact said that their team does not run plays? That his players are un disciplined? The guy is a Police officer, you think he is not instilling discipline to his team? Do you think they just roll out the ball?

I read in here many times on how Frank Knight (Moreau) cant coach. He took a team with no upperclassman to a state title appearance after beating the well coached senior laden Salesian squad twice to get there. He coached well at Fremont and has turned a no name school into top team since he got there. Do you think that they don't have a system or run sets or have a style of play?

I read in here many times that Darrell Barbour (SHC) cant coach. That for all that talent he just doesn't get it out of them. That their offense is non- existent and that they should figure out another way to get scoring. That his teams under-achieve and that he is over matched in the WCAL coaching pool.

What do all these gentlemen have in common? Thats right... they have all led there respective teams to Nor-Cal and State Finals. Hard to do without coaching. I guess not so hard when you have the horses

But when you start to talk about: Ivan and Paris, Carlos and Bernard, Oscar and Damari, Alfred and Romello individually criticizing their game as if they are paid to play I think you went to far... and again you are an asshole.

Kids are in the gym working on their deficiencies to the best of their abilities meanwhile adults take time out of their workday to write down all that is wrong with them. Its really sad.

I've coached basketball at the college level, started off at the high school level, and even took some lumps in AAU (Back then it was called Nor-Cal) tourneys. I have recruited players that have played for these coaches and to think that they are not going out every night trying to put their teams in the best position to win is absolutely crazy.

Just like I have defended Allocco on this same board about his style of play as a coach you do what you think is the best style of play for the players you have. Allocco does that and it works. Its not attractive to everyone, but he is one hell of a coach.

Joey at Sheldon is another coach who gets his kids to play the style he thinks puts his squad in the best position to win. I enjoy watching his teams get after it.

In all my years on this board the only non-black coach that "couldnt" coach was Mc Knight at Mater Dei. lol (and he is the winningest coach in Cal history)

Im shocked no one is saying that the Chino Hills coach cant coach....... oh im sorry he doesn't fit that "description" smh...... They ran 1 play last nigh on national TV... lol

This may be my last post but remember we are talking about 15-18 year old kids trying to improve their craft, we shouldn't be telling them to quit and go run track or questioning their leadership skills when we dont even know them.

Classless.... arrogant... and tasteless

Last edited:
Barbour and the athletic department need to pull another Greene out of Oakland or a Johns out of E. Palo Alto because this current setup is .500 at best.

Wow, that wouldn't be a racial thing, would it?? BTW, East Palo Alto is 16% black and nearly 2/3 Hispanic. Sounds like you are living in the 80's (when demographics of EPA were very different from today) or in Boston or some other racially segregated area.

Wow, that wouldn't be a racial thing, would it?? BTW, East Palo Alto is 16% black and nearly 2/3 Hispanic. Sounds like you are living in the 80's (when demographics of EPA were very different from today) or in Boston or some other racially segregated area.

Turtle love... this wasnt directed to you... I think I started writting my response before you even posted it!

Turtle Love!

Reactions: TurtleLoveCA
Sac High didnt recruit any of these kids. They're Sac High, they dont need to recruit. You might think cuz you look at stats or see them not contribute much in the big games that they arent factors but Sac has a ridiculous collection of talent. CT is a natural unselfish QB. He rebounds, steals, passes first and then scores. Averaging 20+ ppg on this team wont happen, it doesnt need to happen. You should watch more teams instead of looking at stats.
I don't get Terrell. Reminds me of a kid who looks the part but when going gets tough disappears. Everything is cool.... Passing, ball fakes, etc... But isn't a gamer. How does a 6"5 2 guard going to UCSB not average 20+ in HS? If you can't score in HS you aren't going to score at the next level. And yes sometimes you have to be selfish to win. Also, I've never seen more 5"8 200 lb guards than Sac high has. Where do they recruit these kids. Like Vinnie Johnson all over again.

Young is a beast. He's going to do well at Iowa State. I can't say enough good things.

I still think Modesto Christian, Folsom, and DLS are in a higher tier.
larry legend Terrell is the part he just has to learn to be selfish at times and coaches have to let him. He is team first and he doesn't have to score to impact a game. he leads the team in rebs, assists, and steals. He is still learning and has a very high ceiling. He will be just fine at UCSB a lot of people think so

Reactions: Fentons Cream
No need to apologize, Fentons, I agree with 99% of what you said and know it wasn't directed towards me.

Fenton, if Moreau loses, they lose becasue they don't play as as a team, Knight doesn't know how to coach etc. If Moreau wins, is because the other team gave it away and the Moreau kids should be running track SMH... Let's see, that track kid Oscar hit clutch 3 pointers along with some great defense to start the run. That guy that can't lead Damari, controlled the tempo in key moments, yet he can't lead...the other kid should be running track too Terrell Brown, only had huge a couple of huge 3 pointers...oh and that coach that can't coach Knight, made critical adjustments to defending Young, but he can't coach right?.....who needs the Apollo, the Punchline or Cobbs comedy club, just come to this board and get a laugh as some of the posters that think they know more than all the basketball college coaches that are recruiting these "track" kids. LOL
MC definitely deserved to win that game. They out hustled sac and made more plays period no excuses, that 4th quarter was not sac high basketball

For those that have blinders on. Sac = SC = Moreau. Thats not said to be negative. An abundance of athletes that rely on talent and FG%. Eyefordagame mentioned the main reason why MC beat Sac and that was an adjustment to Young. I noticed it too. But MC depended on those threes in the 4th. So many horrible shots I really wanted to stop watching. I watched Sac almost beat SC last year at Maxpreps in Palm Springs. The game was well over 200 possessions and these 3 teams thrive and die by that. Im guessing thats what happens when you have that much talent. This loss really just made Sac Hi more dangerous and with something to prove.
I agree dgdollaz, if sac makes the appropriate corrections from that loss, they will be more dangerous. You know that wasn't sac high bball in the 4th and to blow 2 10 pt leads.

DLS has the ability to beat any of these team by +15 pts. Just better execution and kids that know roles. They value possessions. The Sac vs MC game was hard to watch. Basically a pick up game. I can't figure out Frayer. He reminds me of the kid from Westchester a few years back who ended up at SD STATE. (went to St Johns first... Polee). Anyway all athlete. Doesn't translate well to the next level. You have to have skills. Young from Sac High plays so hard and is ferocious on the boards. Is he undersized? Maybe a little but he plays more like 6"9 so I don't think that is an issue.

Ratinho has the best up side to any of these kids. He's a legit 6"5 and probably ends up being 6"6. Incredible BBall IQ with range to 25+. Underrated athlete. Had a big throw down on a break last night. Reminds me a lot of the Barry kids back in the day. USF got a steal.
and any of these teams have the ability to beat DLS by 15+

No I could care less what race/color/ethnicity the player is. I'm only pointing out that when Barbour has had his best teams (State champs or state runner-up), the two building blocks for both teams were kids he got to come to SH that were not from the city. He's been and is still a successful coach and I can't picture another coach in his place. Just these past 3 years with the composition of the team, I think every one is frustrated with not just the success in the playoffs, but just the way the team plays. They haven't had that team cohesiveness since Herman Pratt's class.

larry legend Terrell is the part he just has to learn to be selfish at times and coaches have to let him. He is team first and he doesn't have to score to impact a game. he leads the team in rebs, assists, and steals. He is still learning and has a very high ceiling. He will be just fine at UCSB a lot of people think so

He needs to be more selfish. I completely agree. In a weird way his unselfishness hurt them in that game. I actually like Sac high. I think swafford is a riot. He runs a good/clean program and his kids respect him. They are a tough out.

No race card for me. There are good black, hispanic, white, asian, etc coaches. And there are bad ones. Doesn't have anything to do with it. Some coaches get more out of mediocre talent. Personally I tend to gravitate toward them. But coaching 4 and 5 star kids comes with challenges as well.

Last edited:
No I could care less what race/color/ethnicity the player is. I'm only pointing out that when Barbour has had his best teams (State champs or state runner-up), the two building blocks for both teams were kids he got to come to SH that were not from the city. He's been and is still a successful coach and I can't picture another coach in his place. Just these past 3 years with the composition of the team, I think every one is frustrated with not just the success in the playoffs, but just the way the team plays. They haven't had that team cohesiveness since Herman Pratt's class.

I agree...I think with Hollins and Carter SHC 'might have" slacked off a little bit thinking immediately they had a Johns/Fox right off the bat but that is just my opinion. This team has tons of potential and honestly, they have another year to gel and look better, they are very young. But while we are on it, we probably should get back to basics and fundamentals, especially since our starting point guard is not playing anymore either for whatever reason. I hope whatever he did can be rectified because he isn't even on the roster anymore. To put it bluntly, even in bad years, in the WCAL even VC gets into the playoffs, so SHC can do that too and still make some noise. On a positive note, and there are no moral victories, SHC is competitive in the WCAL games, they are not losing by much so a few plays here and there can get them a W. I agree with another poster, that Nifai Tonga is missing he would be someone that would complement Sheppard in defense but with much more offensive production...Another thing, I don' t think anyone can say, SHC did not compete in the Bruce Mahoney game, that was high school basketball at a very high level, if anyone can show me a better game in SF Bay Area recently I would love to hear it. At the end of the day, what more can you expect from high school kids playing at that kind of (college) atmosphere...The kids didn't embarrass themselves and showed no quit. I watched the game on demand (comcast) and enjoyed it. What kinda of basketball game can we expect next year?? There is not much difference between winning and losing sometimes if you are a coach.

Last edited:
I just want you guys to know that I tried really hard not to go here but I have been on this board for some time...... back when Sweet Pea was studying for the bar exam and would come on here and thrash some of you for your blatantly absurd comments and stances. I usually only dabble in here, it has turned into grown men with an axe to grind. I tell myself all the time that its just the nature of todays sports and as long as the negativity is about adults, we'll hell they are big boys they can deal with it themselves. But when you target kids, especially kids you know more likely than not read this blog.... you are an asshole

I am a registered republican..... I hate when people use the race card..... but when you say things like, "Just better execution and kids that know roles. They value possessions." or "This kid is a freakishly good athlete but should run track", or "It reminded me of a pick up game" or "They win because they have better athletes or more horses" and the team is predominately black and the coach is Black you are straddling a interesting line.

When the best coached teams with the best real players are at DLS, Modesto Christian and Folsom, then my next question is why do you say that?

I read in here for at least a year that Lou Ritchie (O'Dowd) couldn't coach, that he had all the horses, that they under- achieved. That they should have done this or done that. They eventually won the open state title. Hard to do with out a coach that knows what they are doing.

I read in here many times on how Mike Booker (El Cerrito) cant coach. Just recently in fact said that their team does not run plays? That his players are un disciplined? The guy is a Police officer, you think he is not instilling discipline to his team? Do you think they just roll out the ball?

I read in here many times on how Frank Knight (Moreau) cant coach. He took a team with no upperclassman to a state title appearance after beating the well coached senior laden Salesian squad twice to get there. He coached well at Fremont and has turned a no name school into top team since he got there. Do you think that they don't have a system or run sets or have a style of play?

I read in here many times that Darrell Barbour (SHC) cant coach. That for all that talent he just doesn't get it out of them. That their offense is non- existent and that they should figure out another way to get scoring. That his teams under-achieve and that he is over matched in the WCAL coaching pool.

What do all these gentlemen have in common? Thats right... they have all led there respective teams to Nor-Cal and State Finals. Hard to do without coaching. I guess not so hard when you have the horses

But when you start to talk about: Ivan and Paris, Carlos and Bernard, Oscar and Damari, Alfred and Romello individually criticizing their game as if they are paid to play I think you went to far... and again you are an asshole.

Kids are in the gym working on their deficiencies to the best of their abilities meanwhile adults take time out of their workday to write down all that is wrong with them. Its really sad.

I've coached basketball at the college level, started off at the high school level, and even took some lumps in AAU (Back then it was called Nor-Cal) tourneys. I have recruited players that have played for these coaches and to think that they are not going out every night trying to put their teams in the best position to win is absolutely crazy.

Just like I have defended Allocco on this same board about his style of play as a coach you do what you think is the best style of play for the players you have. Allocco does that and it works. Its not attractive to everyone, but he is one hell of a coach.

Joey at Sheldon is another coach who gets his kids to play the style he thinks puts his squad in the best position to win. I enjoy watching his teams get after it.

In all my years on this board the only non-black coach that "couldnt" coach was Mc Knight at Mater Dei. lol (and he is the winningest coach in Cal history)

Im shocked no one is saying that the Chino Hills coach cant coach....... oh im sorry he doesn't fit that "description" smh...... They ran 1 play last nigh on national TV... lol

This may be my last post but remember we are talking about 15-18 year old kids trying to improve their craft, we shouldn't be telling them to quit and go run track or questioning their leadership skills when we dont even know them.

Classless.... arrogant... and tasteless
SHCP posters are an example. They have a head football coach who hasn't won a league game in three years. Barbour has taken SHCP to the state finals. The football coach is immune from criticism but these guys want to question Barbour even down to his Time Out decisions.

SHCP posters are an example. They have a head football coach who hasn't won a league game in three years. Barbour has taken SHCP to the state finals. The football coach is immune from criticism but these guys want to question Barbour even down to his Time Out decisions.

Fubo, I definitely don't question Barbour and I know he is one of the better coaches in high school sports... even if I don't agree with his style sometimes, I know it will be hard to find a better quality coach who wins consistently. He has my support as an alumnus and supporter. To be fair and objective, SHC football and basketball have different idiosyncrasies. One sport is challenged by the number of athletes and facilities. The other sport is definitely not. I don't think SHC fans are giving a free pass to anyone, the sports have different challenges in the SF bay area.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT