ADVERTISEMENT

JBS vs. Soldiers

Azanna

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 6, 2005
The two teams played tonight at UC Berkeley. First year team, the Soldiers are very good. They beat JBS by one in overtime.

were the soldiers missing anyone?? or were my expectations just too high from reading this board?? san jose cagers beat the same jbs team by 20 and it wasnt even that close...

were the soldiers missing anyone?? or were my expectations just too high from reading this board?? san jose cagers beat the same jbs team by 20 and it wasnt even that close...

It is my understanding that Sierra Smith is still out for the soldiers. And that is why they play the best of 7 in the NBA finals. Any good team can beat another good team (especially if one of the teams has wack coaching). And as we have all seen, OKC looked head and shoulders better than the Warriors only to lose in game 7. But missing one player can make a big difference.

Last edited:
that makes sense.. she would be a definite difference maker for them... thanks for the info... is she still hurt??

OnBAll8,

Not to take away from Cager great shooting performance vs JBS 2017, but JBS 2017 was missing 3 players after the Oakland Soldiers game due an injury and two other players had other commitments. I do love how coach Sue handles her team..very fun to watch them play and execute.

Playing the 4th game of a very long day, it was difficult getting girls motivated vs Cagers, especially after a thrilling over-time game vs the very talented Soldiers team. JBS 2017 girl's energy level was pretty much spent.

Shanaijah Davidson JBS 2017 (Pioneer High) was super special vs Soldiers and the Soldiers Kiara Jefferson (West Campus) and Raziya Potter (Kimball) were terrific.

Reactions: kkross22
The game between the Oakland Soldiers and JBS was game both teams was looking for all day. Both teams played hard and very physical. Both teams left all their energy on the court. The next game after that for both had barely had any energy. Just enough to finish the game. Soldiers won their game pull out it out in the last minutes against Golden City Black team. In the end it was a great Sunday at Cal for women's basketball!!!!!!!!!!!!

gotcha.. sorry sean, i wasnt trying to take anything away from your team at all!! i did not mean that as a dig on your team

OnBAll8...

No problem..no dig taken...I wish we could had given the Cagers/Sue a better game, but 8:00pm it was a very long day for everybody. Most teams had to check in at 8am.

Last edited:
Sierra has been cleared to get back in the gym to train, but she has not been cleared to play full contact at this time. We anticipate she will be back in action by the July viewing period.
Shanaijah definitely showed up and showed out. Courtesy Clark also stood out, made some big hustle and defensive plays, as well as some key rebounds.
Kiara and Razi came through big time for the Soldiers. I also thought Julia Blackshell- Fair was big on the glass.

What a lot people don't know it's not one player going to make a difference in any great team. If a team has great chemistry and great talent they will always play well with or without someone. Soldiers won that game by great team work and effort. JBS play the same with great team and effort. What a game and probably the best game at Cal that day!!!!!! People always forget that get team work wins championships and individual only win games win they can. Just like Warriors and the Cavs!!!!!!!!!!

It was a real exciting game to watch from beginning to end. It was well worth the cost of entry even though it was free too get in. Parking was outrages though.

i would have to disagree with RespectBB... great teams can of course still play great without a single piece, but are you really going to say that a great player wont make a good team better?? ask the warriors if they would rather play with draymond or without him tonight...

One player will make a team better but a great team will always be just as good with or without that player if they are a great team!!!!!! The Warriors will when tonight without Green because they are a great team!!!!!! The only reason he was suspended because want more Revenue!!!

Why are there so many front runners in our society? When teams play well there is always praise, when teams do not play as well there are always excuses. I would love it if society could get back to a place where not everyone gets a ribbon or trophy and it is ok to be beaten by better teams. Teach kids to keep grinding, take losing personal. Do not give them excuses, give them fire to get better and compete no matter the circumstance.

I noticed on the JBS Adidas 2017 team roster that Courtesy Clark is listed with Sac Hi for her high school. Did she decide to go back or is she still with McClatchy? Maybe the JBS website wasn't updated since last year's transfer to McClatchy. Anybody know?

I find it interesting based on previous posts that "team ball" "better team" is mentioned quite often. I saw the JBS vs Cagers game. Both teams had to play three games prior that day. The Cagers were missing Haley Jones and Danielle Gugliemo and they still beat JBS by 20, and as stated earlier wasn't even that close. It is refreshing watching a team that can pass the ball and fly up and down the court as opposed to Iso one on one ball all game long.

Congrats to JBS girls on their efforts against Oak Soldiers. The next player up mentality was definitely in play with Cagers team even though they were missing starters as well.

Reactions: winetot and OnBall8
I find it interesting based on previous posts that "team ball" "better team" is mentioned quite often. I saw the JBS vs Cagers game. Both teams had to play three games prior that day. The Cagers were missing Haley Jones and Danielle Gugliemo and they still beat JBS by 20, and as stated earlier wasn't even that close. It is refreshing watching a team that can pass the ball and fly up and down the court as opposed to Iso one on one ball all game long.

Congrats to JBS girls on their efforts against Oak Soldiers. The next player up mentality was definitely in play with Cagers team even though they were missing starters as well.

Truth

While I'm rowing up this stream of consciousness,
Websters definition of assist=
  • : to give support or help : to make it easier for someone to do something or for something to happen

i gotta say it's pretty brutal hearing a collective group of parents yell "take her to the hole" every time down the floor. There are some really talented young athletes out there. Imagine how cool it would be to watch them set up teammates.

Bill Walsh's Niner teams used to win games by playing the GAME. It is so cool to watch when it's PLAYED.

It's actually funny to watch 15-18 year old girls frustrate an opposing AAU coach because he can't solve basic offensive and defensive schemes that these young girls can execute in their sleep.

"Take her to the hole" -- which of course she can. But does that make her team better? Does that help her team win? Does that make her better?

Parents too often confuse winning in club basketball tournaments that no one remembers a week later with success. Hero ball and no perimeter game will not take a girl nearly as far as her parents think ...

Reactions: regereg
i agree its funny to watch, but its sad that there are not enough good coaches to cover the growing amount of teams out there.. and to clay's point, the coaches mistake this for success too! and then sell that to parents when in reality no one cares who won the 3rd annual tri valley slam fest jam brick division. it should be about the development of the girls and if they go 1-3 but play better competition and improve, thats more impressive than going 4-0 but never playing anyone as good as you and never having to make a single adjustment (which is another point for aau coaches to be talked about another time)

Sad but true. The JBS vs Cagers game had the following sequence 10 consecutive times. JBS guard brings up the ball dribbling, headfaking, crossover (parents and coach applauding) all the while the other four teammates stand and watch her never to be included. She drives shot is blocked 4 times, turnover twice, offensive foul one, stolen once and makes two baskets. That's success????

The entertaining portion of the girls game is watching them execute aspects of an offense or defense that turns into a flow and progress that results in to successful plays. These girls are athletic and smart. They look even more athletic and smarter when they actually learn play the game.

Reactions: ClayK
I completely agree, not a great sequence for sure... however my comments were not in direct reference to that game or jbs.. there are way more coaches that know less about the game than sean, than know more (in other words i put him closer to the top than the bottom of the list) .. i would definitely not put him in the category that i was referring to

Wow, I just wanted to tell everyone that I saw a really good game and I thought I would share. Travel basketball and high school basketball are two completely different games. High school basketball is more about teaching the game the correct way and travel is more like a beauty contest. The Cagers are doing work in preparation for the upcoming high school season while the agenda of travel basketball is to be seen to get a scholarship, wins and losses do not matter at all. My post was not about disregarding the Cagers, I didn’t stay to watch that game but it did not surprise me that they beat JBS. Anyone that knows NorCal basketball knows when playing the Cagers you are getting ready to play a really good high school team coached by a really good high school coach. Comparing Travel and high school ball is almost like comparing apples and oranges.

Azannna- thanks for sharing.

High school basketball is more about teaching the game the correct way and travel is more like a beauty contest.

Geez, I kinda thought they were always learning and improving their game????

I guess Iso ball, one on one play and playing to the crowd gets these ladies so ready for the next level.

Reactions: OnBall8
the thread definitely digressed.. at least from my standpoint, my recent comments were not made in regards to either of the games played at cal this weekend or either of the coaches in the games.

And i wouldnt say that the cagers team is just about preparing for next march.. they have a roster full of kids that are going to have their education paid for (probably more D1 kids than most travel teams). They too are out to be seen by coaches, there is plenty of time to prepare for the season come november. College coaches do want see individual skills obviously, but they also want to see that you can play in a system, both offensively and defensively, with others. Not saying one couldn't get a scholarship playing any style with any club based on her skills, but from talking to some college coaches, it can definitely make a difference in their stock knowing they can play within a system.

JBS dose a pretty good job getting kids signed to university. Nine kids signed from the 2016 roster. How many programs be it school or travel can say that?

I didn't realize that JBS was the one solely responsible for managing the entire process on the girls behalf to get them recruited and signed by the University.

Thats great that they organized the girls NCAA trips, unofficial visits, academic adviser discussions, texting and calls from coaches as well as understanding existing rosters to see what would be best fit for the young ladies playing options.

JBS can take credit for all that?

I'm sorry guys it was 12 girls were signed from the 2016 class
  • Gigi Garcia - Washington
  • Gracie Calavului - Colorado St.
  • AJ Baylon - CSU Stanislaus
  • Kiana Moore - Utah
  • Tia Hays - Colorado St.
  • Brittany Livingston - CSU Stanislaus
  • Baylee Vanderdoes - San Diego St.
  • Lauren Craig - Pepperdine University
  • Kamira Sanders - CSU Humboldt
  • Danielle Craft - Weber St.
  • Seraiah Tyller - Eastern Arizona
  • Maddie Clayton - Owebsite and check it out for yourself the JBS website

Last edited:
good lord azanna... i get you probably have a kid on JBS and feel the need to defend them but im not even talking about JBS.. you dont have to sell them on here, i know the track record and respect what sean does and how he does it.. i was just pointing out the fact that i thought you were wrong in what you implied about the cagers.. NOT comparing the programs

doing things a different way does not mean the other way is wrong....

SJ
I guess at the end of the day we have to just call you a hater

Several years back, one of Mitty's teams had 12 players on their playoff roster who received D1 basketball offers, and 11 of them eventually played D1 basketball. (They lost to Carondelet in the NorCal finals that year.)

SBhoopfan.. im not positive as that was 3 or 4 years ago now... but i remember watching that squad (and that game) and i dont think you are accurate with your number of d1 players... nor do i get how that is relevant

LOL!!! I never hate, only congratulate . JBS must be really busy handling the girls next education options

SBhoopfan.. im not positive as that was 3 or 4 years ago now... but i remember watching that squad (and that game) and i dont think you are accurate with your number of d1 players... nor do i get how that is relevant
It was 2009 - 2010, here's the link to the roster (http://www.maxpreps.com/high-school...,ca)/girls-basketball-winter-09-10/roster.htm). And I counted again, numbers are accurate.

It's relevant because Azanna said JBS had nine girls sign from the 2016 squad, and asked how many other school or travel teams could say that.

And I know several girls from the South Bay/Peninsula area that have played for JBS in the past five or six years. They all loved the experience, and Sean helped these girls immensely.

So thanks for very recently joining the conversation here OnBall8, but please stop trying to tell people what's relevant and what isn't. You're not the moderator. Move on to the next thread if you don't like this one.

A slightly off-topic take on this, but worth mentioning, I think: With 15 scholarships per women's D1 school, there are more Division I scholarships available than there are Division 1 players. This means that any girl with the requisite talent and mental makeup is going to get a free education -- which is different than the boys' side.

So at one level, club and high school coaches do deserve credit for landing girls full rides, but from another angle, it's more about the girls' ability to play at that level than anything else. In other words, a girl who's a D1 player can pretty much play for any club and any high school and still get a scholarship. On the boys' side, the competition is deeper and there are fewer scholarships, so club and high school affiliations are much more important.

One reason I bring this up is that parents who want to use what happens on the boys' side to determine what's the best course of action on the girls' side are probably not going to make the best decision. The two are much different.

Reactions: jstblev and regereg
sbhoopsfan... no need to get salty there bud.. i apologize for thinking of the 2013 squad that lost to carondelet in the open division, not the norcal finals.. theres just no need for this to turn into a pi$$ing contest of who had more offers, d1 players, ect.. it would never end

OnBall8, I'm sorry you don't find the topic interesting. Apparently Azanna and I do. Maybe others do also.

I've got no horse in this particular race, I just like working with kids and seeing them succeed. And I know more about Mitty than other schools because I live nearby and have watched them play for a lot of years. (Actually live closer to Cupertino High, but the basketball is slightly less interesating there.) So while it may be a pissing contest for you, it isn't for many of the rest of us.

P.S. That wasn't salty. You don't want to see me get salty. :)

i find it interesting enough.. i dont have a horse in this race either but still did not want my bias (also more familiar with cagers/mitty, as i've probably seen more mitty games than most in the last 15-20 years) to seem like i was trying to prove one was better than the other.

you're right i dont want to see you get salty, we're all on the same side here

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT