ADVERTISEMENT

"Kevin Restani Court" Dedication this Friday (YouTube Stream)

Great article in the chronicle today. What an awesome job they did on the Crusader Forum and the court.

Some info my uncle provided me today. (my uncles are Riordan Alumni in the 60's)

My uncle spotted Restani at Larson Park playing tackle football one time. Said he might be the only NBA player ever to be out there playing football. He said he was most down to earth star you would ever know.

"Restani was a friend of Kevin Eagleson another Riordan hoops legend who was a neighbor to my uncle and good friend. Eagleson went on to play PG at Santa Clara for some great Bronco teams and is in the SCU Hall.

Lots of great City hoop history.

Lot of history in that building and Riordan program......great place to watch a high school game.

Great article in the chronicle today. What an awesome job they did on the Crusader Forum and the court.

Some info my uncle provided me today. (my uncles are Riordan Alumni in the 60's)

My uncle spotted Restani at Larson Park playing tackle football one time. Said he might be the only NBA player ever to be out there playing football. He said he was most down to earth star you would ever know.

"Restani was a friend of Kevin Eagleson another Riordan hoops legend who was a neighbor to my uncle and good friend. Eagleson went on to play PG at Santa Clara for some great Bronco teams and is in the SCU Hall.

Lots of great City hoop history.

Larry, don't expect the same quality court when you come up to Gridley:)
Here's wishing you great hoops

best court in WCAL.
Go Riordan!

Big improvement from last year ! Team looks very bright in future. D1 player and with sharp shooter Chung they could make a lot of noise in the playoffs.
D3 champs is very possible.

I’ll be watching that replayed on YouTube or wherever as soon as I get home from the Campo game...

I know there’s a NorCalSports game to catch, too. And tomorrow will one of those Kiddman-patented multi-gym tours tomorrow. Afternoon game at Carondelet to see them face St Mary’s Stockton followed by a little jaunt to Menlo to catch them battle University-SF in the new Menlo complex.

Butbutbutbut no, I’m not addicted!! I can quit any time! (I just don’t wanna!)

The best improvement are the new benches. The old ones gave new meaning to the term "butthurt". The lighting is also much better.

Reactions: jordan24
Bob Sarlatte MC'ing, interim Mayor Mark Farrell and USF's Bill Cartwright taking part in the Kevin Restani dedication / blessing ceremony.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Bob Sarlatte MC'ing and USF's Bill Cartwright taking part in the Kevin Restani dedication / blessing ceremony.
Cartwright is another favorite. I saw him at USF and one game at a Dons pre-lim when he was at Elk Grove. Good as advertised.

Reactions: jordan24
Great game against 2 evenly matched City rivals with the Crusader pulling out a 86-80win in OT. . Mukukula hits a game-tying 3 pointer at the buzzer to extend the Crusaders hopes. Irish were down the entire game until the 4th and looked to sew up the game until Waitide's buzzer beating shot. Irish's Monroe and Neal led the way for the Irish. Riordan's Je'lani Clark and James Chun led Riordan.
Packed house at the Forum on Kevin Restani night. He must be smiling down upon the Crusader Forum tonight. Excellent HS atmosphere

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott2138
Competitive game. SHC plays five guards and only subs in a center to give its guards a rest. They have five coaches on bench and their offense consist of spreading court, letting a talented Monroe dribble drive, throw up a shot, and hope it goes in or hoping somebody puts in off rebound. Plenty of 3s, but no rebounding support. They have no inbound plays either. Very athletic but unimaginative. Despite that, they almost pulled it off. 72 points in regulation. Not the WCAL of old. But an entertaining night along with a nice dedication of the court in name of Kevin Restani.

Great game against 2 evenly matched City rivals with the Crusader pulling out a 66-60 win in OT. . Mukukula hits a game-tying 3 pointer at the buzzer to extend the Crusaders hopes. Irish were down the entire game until the 4th and looked to sew up the game until Waitide's buzzer beating shot. Irish's Monroe and Neal led the way for the Irish. Riordan's Je'lani Clark and James Chun led Riordan.
Packed house at the Forum on Kevin Restani night. He must be smiling down upon the Crusader Forum tonight. Excellent HS

Last edited:
I saw replay of last possession in 4th. Irish kid makes length of court pass, Irish score and he's pumping up like game over. Then he leaves his kid alone in corner for game tying three. BTW, people were talking after that segment why didn't SHC coach have kids foul and send Crusaders to line down by three. I'm sorry, some guys are just not equipped to coach WCAL varsity. Look it was a competitive game for fifth place and both of these two may salvage a CCS run in III or IV.

I wish leagues would just send one representative to sectionals like they used to (despite enrollment). Two at most. Those SH, SI and Riordan teams in 70s that won CCS I titles were legit. And even when section went to multiple tier titles in 80's the Riordan and SI teams were good regardless. I really feel WCAL teams should play Open in sectionals regardless, due to no border restrictions. Public schools I can see based on enrollment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishman32
I wish the scoreboard "stats by players" was displayed. Some games, it's used, some not.
Loved the energy from both sides last night!
ARHS Stats, do you know why's that the case?

Last edited:
Reactions: CityVibesII
I saw replay of last possession in 4th. Irish kid makes length of court pass, Irish score and he's pumping up like game over. Then he leaves his kid alone in corner for game tying three. BTW, people were talking after that segment why didn't SHC coach have kids foul and send Crusaders to line down by three. I'm sorry, some guys are just not equipped to coach WCAL varsity. Look it was a competitive game for fifth place and both of these two may salvage a CCS run in III or IV.

I wish leagues would just send one representative to sectionals like they used to (despite enrollment). Two at most. Those SH, SI and Riordan teams in 70s that won CCS I titles were legit. And even when section went to multiple tier titles in 80's the Riordan and SI teams were good regardless. I really feel WCAL teams should play Open in sectionals regardless, due to no border restrictions. Public schools I can see based on enrollment.
The end of the game was a short dynamic event and SHC had no timeouts. I wasn't watching what the SHC coach was doing during that time as I along with everyone else including you in the packed house was watching the action for the few seconds that were left. He might have been trying to get his team to foul. To say the guy isn't equipped to coach in the WCAL doesn't seem fair. I think all of the WCAL teams will qualify for CCS so there won't be any salvaging. Who knows what their final standings will be the way this season is going. All in all, that was an exciting game in front of a huge crowd in a great venue on a special night. The Riordan player who hit the clutch three at the buzzer to send it into overtime against their arch-rival was set up with a quick thinking perfect pass too.

It was a joy watching those young men play last night. No matter the outcome, both teams were competitive and you just had a great night of High School Basketball in San Francisco, period.

That whole "Foul at the end with a 3-point-lead" thing gets discussed *often* on TV coverage of college and even NBA games. One commentator questions why they aren't fouling to put a guy on the line for two shots (or 1-and-1) with that 3-point lead, and then the other announcer comes back with something like "They're afraid the guy who gets fouled might be quick enough to throw something that kinda-sorta looks like a shot as he gets hit, and the ref thinks he shot, too", or words to that effect.

Some coaches (both good and not-so-good ones) are with the camp that says "take the foul before he shoots", and other coaches (also both good and not-so-good ones) are with the camp that says "Stay the hell away, then maybe put a hand up without getting close to a foul somewhere nearby".

I've seen the strategy both work beautifully and fail miserably many times. For example, the Acalanes JV coach had his team do the early-foul jusssst right to preserve a 1-point win last night at Campo. Can't think of an example, but I know I've seen aware ballhandlers anticipate the oncoming foul and actually get a good shot up while getting hit, making the bomb and FT to win.

Works (and fails) both ways.

Competitive game. SHC plays five guards and only subs in a center to give its guards a rest. They have five coaches on bench and their offense consist of spreading court, letting a talented Monroe dribble drive, throw up a shot, and hope it goes in or hoping somebody puts in off rebound. Plenty of 3s, but no rebounding support. They have no inbound plays either. Very athletic but unimaginative. Despite that, they almost pulled it off. 72 points in regulation. Not the WCAL of old. But an entertaining night along with a nice dedication of the court in name of Kevin Restani.

As mentioned in another post, The difference was not having SH Olgasbey? He was burdened with three fouls in the first quarter which made him sit a lot. That took a lot of physical play away.

As mentioned in another post, The difference was not having SH Olgasbey? He was burdened with three fouls in the first quarter which made him sit a lot. That took a lot of physical play away.

Some coaches will sit a player who has 2 fouls early, just so he doesn't pick up that 3rd one and he can think about the situation and not making any more when returning to the game. Case in point, Dublin's big man Jack Neilsen got 2 quick 1st quarter fouls vs. DLS last week, and coach Costello pulled him and he sat the rest of the half. He then played most of the 2nd half, was well rested and was pretty much the difference their beating the Spartans, by continually scoring down in the paint. Part of being a good player is knowing when and how not to foul.

Some coaches will sit a player who has 2 fouls early, just so he doesn't pick up that 3rd one and he can think about the situation and not making any more when returning to the game. Case in point, Dublin's big man Jack Neilsen got 2 quick 1st quarter fouls vs. DLS last week, and coach Costello pulled him and he sat the rest of the half. He then played most of the 2nd half, was well rested and was pretty much the difference their beating the Spartans, by continually scoring down in the paint. Part of being a good player is knowing when and how not to foul.

He already had three including a questionable technical so he had to sit the the whole second. After the half, when he came in SHC was a different team outscoring the crusaders and running the engine full throttle. He later fouled out with another SHC player toward the end of the 4th. SHC couldn't play a decent OT without those two apparently. Either way, good game.

Reactions: CityVibesII
He already had three including a questionable technical so he had to sit the the whole second. After the half, when he came in SHC was a different team outscoring the crusaders and running the engine full throttle. He later fouled out with another SHC player toward the end of the 4th. SHC couldn't play a decent OT without those two apparently. Either way, good game.
The Crusaders were short big men when Desean Johnson left with a lower leg injury. They were already short handed with Travis Benham away on a school trip and Turner and Cross out with injuries. Riordan still went 10 deep...Monroe's jumpers he was hitting in the first half were falling short in the 4th as I think he never came out. Neal took up the slack, though, to keep the game close to the wire.

Looked like Chime's defense had a little something to do with it also. He played him tough and made him work hard for everything.

Looked like Chime's defense had a little something to do with it also. He played him tough and made him work hard for everything.
Yes. Chimae and Matt B. rotated covering the explosive Monroe with the intent to either deny and/or make him work for every shot the entire game. Entire D needs to impeove on stopping the man with ball as the Irish game plan was to run at every opportunity as it's first option.

Last edited:
Yes. Chimae and Matt B. rotated covering the explosive Monroe with the intent to either deny and/or make him work for every shot the entire game. Entire D needs to impeove on stopping the man with ball as the Irish game plan was to run at every opportunity as it's first option.

The Coach did a great job putting fresh guys on Monroe with full court pressure. Making other guys handle the ball. Neal and Hudson stepped up and with Oglesby hampered by fouls , Sacred Heart rhythm was off beat. Clark had his mojo working on Friday night. Great atmosphere for a high school game . As predicted, Sacred Heart won a game in this series and Riordan won a game . Big shot in the corner by the kid. Not sure why Sacred Heart left him to double team but Riordan gutted out the win. Sacred Heart fought hard and came up short. Wcal match ups are fun to watch. Only complaint I have is having those referees . 3 guys past their prime , anticipating calls that wasn't there . It was some very bad calls and no calls in this game. But the better team of the night was Riordan , no doubt. Calls or no calls.

The Coach did a great job putting fresh guys on Monroe with full court pressure. Making other guys handle the ball. Neal and Hudson stepped up and with Oglesby hampered by fouls , Sacred Heart rhythm was off beat. Clark had his mojo working on Friday night. Great atmosphere for a high school game . As predicted, Sacred Heart won a game in this series and Riordan won a game . Big shot in the corner by the kid. Not sure why Sacred Heart left him to double team but Riordan gutted out the win. Sacred Heart fought hard and came up short. Wcal match ups are fun to watch. Only complaint I have is having those referees . 3 guys past their prime , anticipating calls that wasn't there . It was some very bad calls and no calls in this game. But the better team of the night was Riordan , no doubt. Calls or no calls.

They don't call it the home field advantage for nothing....Restani was proud too.

Coach MacKay has a nice team in SHC. Every time that I see them they play with a lot of heart which I believe is a reflection of their coach. SHC's lack of depth was the difference as Riordan is a little deeper even with the injuries to Turner, Gage and Benham out.

Coach MacKay has a nice team in SHC. Every time that I see them they play with a lot of heart which I believe is a reflection of their coach. SHC's lack of depth was the difference as Riordan is a little deeper even with the injuries to Turner, Gage and Benham out.
Will be interesting which JV players will be called up for the playoffs. The Crusaders have 2 6-4 sophs from a good JV team that could provide some depth. Will they also bring up the frosh guard on the JVs too?

SHC's Frosh A' won. Restani coached them once. Coincidence??
A's have not fared well in league, but both B's and JV's are at second place. Could be that frosh high-scoring guard being moved up to JVs when soph Mack Yates was moved up to varsity before WCAL play is the difference.

How many times have I seen that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT