ADVERTISEMENT

Major free-throw rule change

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
4-8-1: Eliminates the one-and-one for common fouls beginning with the seventh team foul in the half and establishes the bonus as two free throws awarded for a common foul beginning with the team’s fifth foul in each quarter and resets the fouls at the end of each quarter.

Rationale: Improves flow by providing an opportunity for teams to adjust their play by not carrying over fouls from quarters 1 and 3 to quarters 2 and 4 while significantly reducing the opportunity for correctable errors to occur. Minimizes risk of injury by eliminating the one-and-one and reducing opportunities for rough play during rebounding opportunities.

I really like this ...

Reactions: CaliHoops23
No idea whether this would improve flow or make it worse by having more 2-shot fouls.

4-8-1: Eliminates the one-and-one for common fouls beginning with the seventh team foul in the half and establishes the bonus as two free throws awarded for a common foul beginning with the team’s fifth foul in each quarter and resets the fouls at the end of each quarter.

Rationale: Improves flow by providing an opportunity for teams to adjust their play by not carrying over fouls from quarters 1 and 3 to quarters 2 and 4 while significantly reducing the opportunity for correctable errors to occur. Minimizes risk of injury by eliminating the one-and-one and reducing opportunities for rough play during rebounding opportunities.

I really like this ...
Why do you like this, Clay? At first look, I kind of see it as a neutral but bummed the 1&1 component is now out of HS Basketball

Reactions: observer22
No idea whether this would improve flow or make it worse by having more 2-shot fouls.
because a smart coach would hammer home the point of stop slapping, leaving your feet, and swinging at shooters since now they get 2 shots all quarter.
it made the womens ncaa game end in less then 2 hours now.

I personally think this will help the teams that pressure consistently. Normally if you get 5-7 team fouls in the first quarter, it’s natural to tone things down a lot to not give away points on the foul line. Now if you pick up 6-7 fouls in the first and third quarters you can go back to pressing in the 2nd and 4th if that’s what you’re good at. Personal fouls won’t be a problem for the 10 programs that have many of the good players. This also helps refs to see better when they have a good or bad quarter. Instead of assessing halfs now they can easier break down quarters.

It has clearly worked in the college game, for one. The other is I never liked the intentional foul at the end of the game. It was tough for the officials because they didn't want to force the defender to hammer the ballhandler to get the foul but at the same time it needed to be a real foul. And of course by rule, an intentional foul is two shots and the ball, and there was really no reasonable to call that.

Reactions: NorCalHoopz
Initial start will have teams in the bonus and longer games. Club circuit will have to change immediately. Right now with all the "and 1" play, along with practically 1 foul called for every 5 fouls committed; its not a quick change. I have had numerous talks with officials and will adopt the change in June tournaments to prepare the HS kids and incoming frosh. Now for the lower grades that use "HS Rules" in league play,,,,,,expect those games to be long games.

Reactions: CaliHoops23
I just asked 3 promoters for NCAA Viewing and they are NOT changing the rules for Summer. Will stay
with 7 and 10 fouls. So its up to Fall Leagues to step up and help with the transition.

It has clearly worked in the college game, for one. The other is I never liked the intentional foul at the end of the game. It was tough for the officials because they didn't want to force the defender to hammer the ballhandler to get the foul but at the same time it needed to be a real foul. And of course by rule, an intentional foul is two shots and the ball, and there was really no reasonable to call that.
its odd to me that teams can foul easily and sometimes get a steal when the game is in the first 29 or 30 minutes... but when they have to foul then players come full force with swings and shoves. just try to steal the ball and you will 99% foul. or try to take a charge, the player will run right into you and you have a good chance at picking up the player control foul or the player losing the ball

Reactions: OnBall8
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT