ADVERTISEMENT

Mills forfeits finale

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Citing a lack of available players, Mills announced Wednesday it would not be able to play local rival Capuchino Friday night in San Bruno. The traditional game between these two San Mateo Union High School District entities has been played since 1959. Mills ends its 2023 season with a 5-5 record (5-2 in the PAL's C Division). Capuchino, by dint of the forfeit, winds up 9-1 (5-1 in a PAL B Division). The 9-1 record is the best record in the school's history, according to available records. Coach Jay Oca's Mustangs will proceed to the Central Coast Section playoffs beginning Nov. 10.

The decision to forfeit was made official Wednesday, two days before the scheduled game. For Capuchino, the home team, the move was especially unfortunate. The week was to include a rally, a celebration of the team's PAL Ocean Division title and the annual Senior Night festivities honoring players and their parents, band members and spirt persons. It was going to be hoopla on steroids at the Mustangs' quasi-bowl. That has all been dashed. Not good.

Reactions: WOW Freddy
On a side note, PAL schools made a brilliant move when they merged with the SCVAL in football several years ago. That allowed the combined league (an expanded PAL) to create what is called the Lake Division for only the very worst failing/flailing football programs. This year's eight, with the possible exception of a revitalized South San Francisco, are truly the dregs of the entire Peninsula. Not just bad but grimly horrendous. Mills, which has chosen not to finish its season due to a purported lack of bodies, won five games in that dismal arrangement where blocking and tackling are almost verboten. That has to tell you something about the quality of Lake competition. But, again, kudos to the PAL/SCVAL folks for setting up a special division to quarantine the Lakers, including Mills.

Last edited:
Reactions: WOW Freddy
On a side note, PAL schools made a brilliant move when they merged with the SCVAL in football several years ago. That allowed the combined league (an expanded PAL) to create what is called the Lake Division for only the very worst failing/flailing football programs. This year's eight, with the possible exception of a revitalized South San Francisco, are truly the dregs of the entire Peninsula. Not just bad but grimly horrendous. Mills, which has chosen not to finish its season due to a purported lack of bodies, won five games in that dismal arrangement where blocking and tackling are almost verboten. That has to tell you something about the quality of Lake competition. But, again, kudos to the PAL/SCVAL folks for setting up a special division to quarantine the Lakers, including Mills.
lmaaooooooooo

Time to play 8 man Mills, then you won’t run out of players. But then again hopefully the seniors won’t quit. Bring on Priory and Pinewood baby!!!

Citing a lack of available players, Mills announced Wednesday it would not be able to play local rival Capuchino Friday night in San Bruno. The traditional game between these two San Mateo Union High School District entities has been played since 1959. Mills ends its 2023 season with a 5-5 record (5-2 in the PAL's C Division). Capuchino, by dint of the forfeit, winds up 9-1 (5-1 in a PAL B Division). The 9-1 record is the best record in the school's history, according to available records. Coach Jay Oca's Mustangs will proceed to the Central Coast Section playoffs beginning Nov. 10.

I think this is deeper than just the forfeit. Mills was 5-4, 5-2 in league going into a rivalry game. I seriously doubt the program decided to just fold up shop rather than play Capuchino. This sounds legit. This has “abundance of injuries” written all over it. Which leads me to my next point……

Capuchino has over 100 kids in their program while Mills is struggling to field a varsity team?! Does Capuchino run some high flying offense lead by an elite offensive guru to where guys are chomping at the bit to go there rather than the other?! How in the hell is like so different just a mile and a half away?

I think this is deeper than just the forfeit. Mills was 5-4, 5-2 in league going into a rivalry game. I seriously doubt the program decided to just fold up shop rather than play Capuchino. This sounds legit. This has “abundance of injuries” written all over it. Which leads me to my next point……

Capuchino has over 100 kids in their program while Mills is struggling to field a varsity team?! Does Capuchino run some high flying offense lead by an elite offensive guru to where guys are chomping at the bit to go there rather than the other?! How in the hell is like so different just a mile and a half away?
Capuchino runs “ The Air Scare” and yes it’s very potent.

Reactions: PALFan
The difference is as follows 1- Capuchino has tougher kids and that’s not going to change. 2- Capuchino plays in the Ocean and Mills plays in the Lake, the Lake is 2 divisions below the Ocean. Mills will never get out of the Lake! Capuchino maybe moved to the DeAnza next year. 3- Jay Oca, the Cap Head Coach, has been at Cap 6 years. Oca is an on Campus Coach as is the Cap JV Coach. To run a good High School football program it is imperative that you have an on campus coach.I can’t remember the last time Mills had an on Campus Coach. They have coaches come and go. Consistency in your program plays a big part in your program. 4- Football at Cap is a little more important than football at Mills. Cap has kids that want to play football, Mill has kids playing football. 5 Cap and Mills are going in different directions when it comes to football.

Reactions: PALFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT