ADVERTISEMENT

Mitty 63 Salesian 60 Final

TheHillZ

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2018
Mitty wins the Iolani championship.

Hotly contested game. Mitty went up by as many as 15 in the 3Q. Salesian cut it to one with 10 seconds left. Siena Guttadaro hit two clutch free throws for Mitty, and a Salesian three at the buzzer fell well short.

Mitty sophomore Morgan Cheli was tournament MVP. Guttadaro, Noemi Bariteau and Maya Hernandez from Mitty were on the all-tournament team, as were Salesian's Makiah Asidanya, Sofia Fidelus, and Kaylie Edge.

Last edited:
I didn't get to watch live but wow what a game! Thought the reffing was poor but equally bad for both sides. Guttadaro hit clutch free throws, but how about that clutch 3 down the stretch from a Mitty guard off the bench. These are both teams that will be in the open div at the end of the year, so we may get a rematch! Not sure if they are both in the WCJ, but if we didnt have to wait 3 months to see another great battle that would be great for the game.

I didn't get to watch live but wow what a game! Thought the reffing was poor but equally bad for both sides. Guttadaro hit clutch free throws, but how about that clutch 3 down the stretch from a Mitty guard off the bench. These are both teams that will be in the open div at the end of the year, so we may get a rematch! Not sure if they are both in the WCJ, but if we didnt have to wait 3 months to see another great battle that would be great for the game.
define poor. i remember someone saying the hawaii officials were the best

define poor. i remember someone saying the hawaii officials were the best
it was inconsistent. they were allowing a lot of hard physical play, and then would call some ticky tack fouls a possession or 2 later. As I said, they were inconsistent for both sides so i am certainly not saying it was unfair in anyway, but there were a couple players in foul trouble due to calls that were not in line with ones called or not called at a different time in the game.

Also, I did not have any complaints about the refs in any of the other games I watched.

On the Salesian post? I'm no ref (thankfully) but I'm not seeing it. She dribbles, establishes her left foot as her pivot and then wheels around with her right. I thought it was a nice move, but for the length of the defender.

it was inconsistent. they were allowing a lot of hard physical play, and then would call some ticky tack fouls a possession or 2 later. As I said, they were inconsistent for both sides so i am certainly not saying it was unfair in anyway, but there were a couple players in foul trouble due to calls that were not in line with ones called or not called at a different time in the game.

Also, I did not have any complaints about the refs in any of the other games I watched.
so wouldnt inconsistent on both sides mean consistent?

so wouldnt inconsistent on both sides mean consistent?
consistently inconsistent isn't great reffing. That's all I was saying. Again, don't think the refs decided the game so I'm not sure why you're grasping onto that straw. Refs aint perfect and neither am I.

BTW it was, in fact, a travel. As the post player gathers both feet are moving. She establishes her right foot as the pivot, wheels around and plants her left to start her shot. But then hesitates and puts her right foot back down before shooting. When the right foot goes down, that's the travel.

BTW it was, in fact, a travel. As the post player gathers both feet are moving. She establishes her right foot as the pivot, wheels around and plants her left to start her shot. But then hesitates and puts her right foot back down before shooting. When the right foot goes down, that's the travel.
jesus i didnt even see all that.

The Mitty guard that hit the big 3 is Elle Hanson. She is an elite 3 point shooter. BTW - I am waiting to hear from Dave how Sue was out coached.

YouRang!!!!
I am still waiting to see Mitty’s name on the Joe Smith TOC list… For Mitty that
Trip was a waste of time…nothing learned…I didn’t even watch that boondoggle

i don't see a travel. i see a dribble, 2 steps, and shot. not a pivot move.

You don't get "2 steps." You establish a pivot foot and that foot cannot come back down (doesn't matter if it's layup or post or jump stop - there's always a pivot foot). Her right foot was the pivot and that foot came back down.

You don't get "2 steps." You establish a pivot foot and that foot cannot come back down (doesn't matter if it's layup or post or jump stop - there's always a pivot foot). Her right foot was the pivot and that foot came back down.
If the Pivot comes off the ground and comes back down that is definitely a travel. If the Pivot comes up for a step thru up and under finish then that isn't a travel. But @bayareagbballfan is correct if the pivot comes up and back down or slides substantially then refs are gonna call it.

it's not a pivot move. she dribbled, took her 2 steps, and shot the ball.

it's not a pivot move. she dribbled, took her 2 steps, and shot the ball.

she ended her dribble with her left foot in the air. Therefore, her right foot is her pivot foot. then she lifted her right foot off the ground, and it landed on the ground before she released the ball. that is a travel.

this one looks to be a great move by Lefotu from Iolani, but it should be a travel also. her right foot is the pivot foot and her right foot lands before she releases the ball. she had a few of these nice spin travel moves in all 3 her games. this is one from the Mitty game.

To be clear, both girls ended their dribble when they put two hands on the ball and had their left foot in the air. If you keep one hand above the ball, you can extend/keep your dribble. But in these cases, they both held the ball with two hands, so they ended their dribble.

Last edited:
Officiating is very difficult. So while watching the feet to make sure there's no travel, the ref must also watch the ball and the arms of both players to determine if there's illegal contact as the shot is taken.

But of course the officials are the problem ...

she ended her dribble with her left foot in the air. Therefore, her right foot is her pivot foot. then she lifted her right foot off the ground, and it landed on the ground before she released the ball. that is a travel.

this one looks to be a great move by Lefotu from Iolani, but it should be a travel also. her right foot is the pivot foot and her right foot lands before she releases the ball. she had a few of these nice spin travel moves in all 3 her games. this is one from the Mitty game.

To be clear, both girls ended their dribble when they put two hands on the ball and had their left foot in the air. If you keep one hand above the ball, you can extend/keep your dribble. But in these cases, they both held the ball with two hands, so they ended their dribble.

gosh that is so close.

more concerning is the weak foul call.

more concerning is the weak foul call.
For real. That had to be a makeup call. I saw the hand on the ball carrier's hips BRIEFLY but with NO impeding of the ball carrier's progress. Maybe that's why the south and the east coast always say we play soft bball on the west coast. SMH

once you dribble, you are allowed 2 steps to make a basketball move to get rid of the ball. otherwise, layups would be impossible.

If she would've paused, then she has an established pivot foot. But it's a continuous move, so there is no pivot foot, and she gets rid of the ball before a 3rd step. left right shot. Same with the second one... once she picks up her dribble, she is allowed 2 steps to make a continuous move. left right shot.... big steps mind you... so makes it look illegal. But I think it's a great move.

But even if what you say were correct (it's not), that is imperceptible in real time.

now that i read it again, this is an insane comment... how do you establish a pivot foot on a layup?

pivot foot only applies when you aren't moving, not off the dribble. if you are dribbling, and stop your dribble, and you aren't moving, you now have to establish a pivot foot. if you catch the ball while not moving (i.e. posting up) you have to establish a pivot foot. if you catch the ball on the fly, you are allowed 2 steps to get rid of the ball.

if you are dribbling, and continue to move, you have 2 steps to get rid of the ball. there is no pivot.

I think it's hard to be out coached by Salesian's staff...lol

What's there to want to know more about? Can you tell me that for all of the talent they've had over the last 10 years (and it's hard to argue they've had some of the best talent around), what do they have to show for it? Watch them play and there's no organized offensive rhyme or reason, defensively they're okay but dominate like they should be, and they get outplayed by teams they should hammer. The girls and program have won A LOT of games and that's amazing and a lot better than what Salesian was before Coach took over-HE'S DONE A GREAT JOB. But look at the big games they've played in and many of the losses (that I've seen), no adjustments were ever made.

I know that's not going to sit well with some people, but just giving you one person's opinion.

Reactions: OnBall8
What's there to want to know more about? Can you tell me that for all of the talent they've had over the last 10 years (and it's hard to argue they've had some of the best talent around), what do they have to show for it? Watch them play and there's no organized offensive rhyme or reason, defensively they're okay but dominate like they should be, and they get outplayed by teams they should hammer. The girls and program have won A LOT of games and that's amazing and a lot better than what Salesian was before Coach took over-HE'S DONE A GREAT JOB. But look at the big games they've played in and many of the losses (that I've seen), no adjustments were ever made.

I know that's not going to sit well with some people, but just giving you one person's opinion.
They just routed the #7 team in the country by 19, and came within 1 shot of defeating Mitty as well. Both more talented teams than Salesian, but yeah poor coaching. LOL

Reactions: OnBall8 and VinceW
They just routed the #7 team in the country by 19, and came within 1 shot of defeating Mitty as well. Both more talented teams than Salesian, but yeah poor coaching. LOL

everyone knows early season rankings mean nothing. Rank after the first few tourney's. Again WHAT HAVE THEY DONE over the last 10 years in the whole grand scheme of things?

everyone knows early season rankings mean nothing. Rank after the first few tourney's. Again WHAT HAVE THEY DONE over the last 10 years in the whole grand scheme of things?
I don't know what the coaches have done in the past but I will give them credit for what they are doing now. Salesian looks very good this year and will add much-needed depth to Norcal girls basketball.

I don't know what the coaches have done in the past but I will give them credit for what they are doing now. Salesian looks very good this year and will add much-needed depth to Norcal girls basketball.
In the
In the whole grand scheme of things, 99.9% of the population couldn't care less about High School girls basketball

In the
In the whole grand scheme of things, 99.9% of the population couldn't care less about High School girls basketball
But being that you are on a girls basketball forum thank God you are part of the 00.1% of us that actually care. We need all the people we can get because 00.1% means there is only 338000 of us in the US that care about high school girls basketball. Everyone bow our heads and say a prayer for the future of high school girls hoops 🙏

Reactions: SmoothJay
Are you asking what Salesian has done in the last 10 years?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT