ADVERTISEMENT

Mitty Transfers

I heard Mitty has upwards of 50-60 girls trying out for their Freshman team. Sue is cutting kids what would start on a lot of public school varsity teams in the area.
You heard wrong... just FYI... completely untrue.

Now freshman soccer is another story

OnBall8 since you are in the know how many try out on average for Mitty Freshman team?

Freshman, JV teams went undefeated this year correct?
You would be surprised how few kids get cut in most years. Soccer and club volleyball are definite factors as ClayK often points out. And I would assume that a strong program deters some of the "unsure" kids from trying out when they may have given it a shot at other schools (thats strictly speculation)

And yes they both went undefeated. I'm not suggesting that they don't have great lower level teams, and you are correct, a lot of those kids would be varsity kids at public schools. That can go for SHC, SI and SF too. But maybe you would be surprised to observe that the end of those frosh benches are not filled with varsity kids. Very far from it actually.

You would be surprised how few kids get cut in most years. Soccer and club volleyball are definite factors as ClayK often points out. And I would assume that a strong program deters some of the "unsure" kids from trying out when they may have given it a shot at other schools (thats strictly speculation)

And yes they both went undefeated. I'm not suggesting that they don't have great lower level teams, and you are correct, a lot of those kids would be varsity kids at public schools. That can go for SHC, SI and SF too. But maybe you would be surprised to observe that the end of those frosh benches are not filled with varsity kids. Very far from it actually.

Admittingly Mitty does have kids every year on their frosh team that would be starters on many public school varsity teams. Pretty sure Karisma Ortiz played on the Freshman team as a 9th grader. The point is they are getting much more talent than any other program or coach in the South Bay, hence the undefeated Frosh and JV teams, hence the National #1 and hence the number of kids being sent to play at the next level. They don't need to recruit because they have cornered the girls basketball market in an area where there isn't alot of D1 talent to begin with.

Not saying there isn't a lot of development going on, but to say no other program develops the ENTIRE player like Mitty does is subjective. No other program gets the talent at every level that Mitty does or the transfers.

Admittingly Mitty does have kids every year on their frosh team that would be starters on many public school varsity teams. Pretty sure Karisma Ortiz played on the Freshman team as a 9th grader. The point is they are getting much more talent than any other program or coach in the South Bay, hence the undefeated Frosh and JV teams, hence the National #1 and hence the number of kids being sent to play at the next level. They don't need to recruit because they have cornered the girls basketball market in an area where there isn't alot of D1 talent to begin with..
Not arguing that point.. just your refuting your statement that they get 50-60 girls trying out for frosh and are cutting varsity ready players for other schools. I doubt they get 50-60 kids trying out for all 3 teams combined

Miramonte, Bishop O'Dowd, Salesian, Carondelet, Vanden, SMS, Sac Hi, MacClatchy, Cardinal Newman, SI, SHC, Presentation, St. Francis, Valley Christian, Mitty, Pinewood, Eastside Prep to name a few I would say are consistently doing a good job preparing kids for the next level. D1, D2, D3.

you say that without providing examples... who else is even close?
Miramonte, Bishop O'Dowd, Salesian, Carondelet, Vanden, SMS, Sac Hi, MacClatchy, Cardinal Newman, SI, SHC, Presentation, St. Francis, Valley Christian, Mitty, Pinewood, Eastside Prep to name a few I would say are consistently doing a good job preparing kids for the next level. D1, D2, D3.

DMnFIY3VAAAiY4y.jpg:large

You are providing the obvious....it was stated that they get the most talent BY FAR in the South Bay. Meaning 80-90% of the division 1 talented players attend Mitty as Freshman. The other 10-20% are spread amongst the other 149 public and private schools.

It's like posting the # of NBA players that have played for Kentucky over the past 10 years or are on active rosters.

define "consistently doing a good job of preparing kids for the next level."? I see a lot of winning programs teaching kids how to win, but not an over abundance of programs that are teaching the game and preparing them for college.

You are providing the obvious....it was stated that they get the most talent BY FAR in the South Bay. Meaning 80-90% of the division 1 talented players attend Mitty as Freshman. The other 10-20% are spread amongst the other 149 public and private schools.

It's like posting the # of NBA players that have played for Kentucky over the past 10 years or are on active rosters.

Kentucky has 22-25 kids on NBA rosters..more than almost double the rest. College is a much different best than HS..

8 girls since 2000 ended up transferring to another school. Being prepared should include finding schools and programs that are a good fit with the student athlete. But that’s unfortunately been the norm with both girls and boys in that time.

Kentucky has 22-25 kids on NBA rosters..more than almost double the rest. College is a much different best than HS..

I was trying to make the analogy that Kentucky is getting the best talent and therefore sending the most kids to the next level. I'm not even talking about development, just sheer numbers.

On that list of D1 kids Mitty has moved on does anyone know how successful they all were at the next level? What % had good 4 year careers at the college level?

8 girls since 2000 ended up transferring to another school. Being prepared should include finding schools and programs that are a good fit with the student athlete. But that’s unfortunately been the norm with both girls and boys in that time.

Transferring is an epidemic in college athletics, unfortunately. Kids/families have to make the best decision what's best for them at the time and priorities change....which usually translates to PT lol

Are we in agreement they have underachieved since the the Open Division came into play?

Absolutely not. Winning a four-game postseason single-elimination tournament against elite opposition (there are about 1,400 high schools in California) obviously takes talent, but it also takes luck. Clearly, this year injury luck hurt Mitty, and so did officiating luck, but that's part of the process.

As I've said too often, a very good team always wins the state title -- but not necessarily the best team.

Pinewood deserved to beat Mitty that night by making plays when it had to, and Windward handled Pinewood. But I would contend that if Mitty played either team in a best-of-five series, Mitty wins.

Mitty has not underachieved, unless the only measure of success is Open titles -- and that's a very narrow and short-sighted way to look at high school basketball.

unless the only measure of success is Open titles
If that is the only measure then only BOD and SMS have not underachieved in Nor Cal? Pinewood, salesian and miaramonte would be in the same boat as AM as Open runner-ups

Winning a four-game postseason single-elimination tournament against elite opposition (there are about 1,400 high schools in California) obviously takes talent, but it also takes luck.
And to further this point... this year Winward became the first school to APPEAR in its second Open state title game. Yes thats right, out of 12 possible teams, there have been 11 different schools playing in the last game. And yet for some reason we rip teams that don't win the last one instead of celebrating the fact that they made it...

Reactions: ClayK
Absolutely not. Winning a four-game postseason single-elimination tournament against elite opposition (there are about 1,400 high schools in California) obviously takes talent, but it also takes luck. Clearly, this year injury luck hurt Mitty, and so did officiating luck, but that's part of the process.

As I've said too often, a very good team always wins the state title -- but not necessarily the best team.

Pinewood deserved to beat Mitty that night by making plays when it had to, and Windward handled Pinewood. But I would contend that if Mitty played either team in a best-of-five series, Mitty wins.

Mitty has not underachieved, unless the only measure of success is Open titles -- and that's a very narrow and short-sighted way to look at high school basketball.
Best talent
Best coach
Best development of talent
Best overall program Frosh-Var
Record in open games 5-5

You mentioned winning 4 in a row, try 5 total wins in the open in 6 years. Would you agree 4 wins at the TOC is or should be tougher than the 4 wins in the open?

I would argue they have underachieved big time. Peak early, probably due to playing year round & being far more prepared in December. By March the playing field has been leveled and the final results have been, not so good.

There's a reason the NBA has a seven-game series to determine who advances in the playoffs -- the outcome of a single game does not necessarily mean the winner is the better team.

This year -- not speaking to the others -- I felt Mitty was the best team in the state, but they lost in double overtime. I feel confident in saying that in a seven-game series against any of the teams in the Open, Mitty wins. But it's single-elimination, and the best team sometimes goes home early (ask the Virginia men).

And this year, the three wins in a row at the TOC were tougher than the Open. That is not always the case, of course.

I would also dispute that in previous years Mitty had the best talent. They had very good talent, but saying they had the "best' is a very strong claim.

I went back and looked at the five losses, and two -- to Mark Keppel and Chaminade -- did not qualify as upset losses. The Salesian loss was definitely an upset, but I don't know that losing to Clovis West, a national champion for some services, counts as a "bad" loss either.

You can easily go back through sports' history and find very good teams that never managed to win the big one. Some say that those teams -- the Buffalo Bills -- choked, or were failures, or whatever, and I guess they have a case. But for me, getting to the Super Bowl four times is an amazing achievement, and the fact the Bills didn't manage to win any of them doesn't make them an "underachieving" team.

I went back and looked at the five losses, and two -- to Mark Keppel and Chaminade -- did not qualify as upset losses.
They beat Mark Keppel by 20+... Definitely agree that Chaminade was a huge favorite and followed through on that. However, neither of those years was mitty even in the open division, so its a moot point really...

I have a question for those in the know....

are Miss Williams and Langi playing AAU for the Cagers and Coach Phillips currently or at anytime this spring?

I've heard they are....can anyone confirm or refute?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT