ADVERTISEMENT

Mitty Transfers

Sep 15, 2017
Hearing Mitty is accepting at least two transfers for upcoming season. Any details on who and waiting period?

Seems like both will be able to contribute ... the rich get richer.

Would the coaches/staff from Mitty attempt to claim that the admissions department had ZERO clue that their new transfer students, just happen to be 6'0" tall and athletically elite?

The WCAL schools run impressive programs, but when students transfer in as sophomores, that are a known quantity, my cynicism kicks in and I conclude that the entire system is broken. At that point, you become less about developing players, and more about feeding the system.

Apples to oranges...Another season of 30 point blow outs in league play.

If the issue is player development, then I think it's important to look at it from the player's and player's family's point of view, not just from the school and competitive equity point of view.

Let's say a college scholarship is worth $250,000, and you believe your daughter has a chance to get one. From your perspective and her perspective (considering the whole student loan issue), maximizing her chances of getting a scholarship is not just some ego boost, but a serious financial investment.

So if you believe that having your daughter attend Mitty, or any other school, will improve her chances of getting that $250,000 scholarship, you would almost be derelict in your duty as a parent if you didn't do it.

Which leads to another point: The "broken system" here is really the expensive American collegiate system that makes scholarships so incredibly valuable, and as long as families feel that investing in club basketball or transfers increase their odds of paying for a college education, then we'll continue to see this kind of movement.

It's easy to say this is all about Mitty or the WCAL or club basketball, and to some extent it probably is, but the bottom line is the bottom line, and if your daughter elevates her level of play in a different program and gets a full D-I ride instead of $5,000 a year from a D-II school, there's no doubt which path you should take.

Agreed. Tough to argue with any of those cogent points. But it is interesting that, in these two cases, the CCS private/parochials are experiencing cannibalism within their own ranks.

You can save the most money if you are a sure shot D1 kid and get on a high level Club team despite the HS you may go to. Like Finau from Dublin. She had a pretty good career at Dublin, a public school. If she went to a WCAL school she definitely wouldn't have put up the numbers she did at Dublin vs that level of comeptition. She then took her talent to Cal Stars which I'm sure she paid very minimal player fees. Result: full scholarship to a Big 10 school in Minnesota. Not sure how she will do in the Big 10, but you can't take it away from her.
That is truly using the system wisely.

I know Mitty is not totally free and for some of the kids like Jones the daily commute must be a pain. Mitty hasn't won a state championship in her time at Mitty "Yet". I'm sure Jones could very well have gone to Santa Cruz HS and still been a high major D1 prospect. In the end people will make their own choices for what they think is best for their kids and family. You have to respect that and cheer for the kids.

The family is not always the best informed, but the family is far more likely to have the welfare of the child first and foremost on the list of priorities.

What I see broken in the high school system is the limitation on freedom of choice by families to do what they think is best for their child -- and only in athletics, by the way. If a family feels a very talented singer can learn more in a choir or program at another school, that singer can transfer and sing in the choir from day one. No one has yet satisfactorily explained to me the difference between choir, or any other extracurricular activity, and athletics.

Of course families will make poor choices, but at least it's their choice, not some set of rules set up by bureaucrats who don't want some schools to gain a competitive edge. What's more important: The won-loss record of the girls' basketball team, or what's best for the girl?

The family is not always the best informed, but the family is far more likely to have the welfare of the child first and foremost on the list of priorities.

What I see broken in the high school system is the limitation on freedom of choice by families to do what they think is best for their child -- and only in athletics, by the way. If a family feels a very talented singer can learn more in a choir or program at another school, that singer can transfer and sing in the choir from day one. No one has yet satisfactorily explained to me the difference between choir, or any other extracurricular activity, and athletics.

Of course families will make poor choices, but at least it's their choice, not some set of rules set up by bureaucrats who don't want some schools to gain a competitive edge. What's more important: The won-loss record of the girls' basketball team, or what's best for the girl?

Exactly, both kids come from strong programs with reputable coaches so maybe its possible they didn't enjoy being one of 50 kids in their class. Super small schools and the social aspects of them aren't for everyone.

Reactions: alwayslearning
If the issue is player development, then I think it's important to look at it from the player's and player's family's point of view, not just from the school and competitive equity point of view.

Let's say a college scholarship is worth $250,000, and you believe your daughter has a chance to get one. From your perspective and her perspective (considering the whole student loan issue), maximizing her chances of getting a scholarship is not just some ego boost, but a serious financial investment.

So if you believe that having your daughter attend Mitty, or any other school, will improve her chances of getting that $250,000 scholarship, you would almost be derelict in your duty as a parent if you didn't do it.

Which leads to another point: The "broken system" here is really the expensive American collegiate system that makes scholarships so incredibly valuable, and as long as families feel that investing in club basketball or transfers increase their odds of paying for a college education, then we'll continue to see this kind of movement.

It's easy to say this is all about Mitty or the WCAL or club basketball, and to some extent it probably is, but the bottom line is the bottom line, and if your daughter elevates her level of play in a different program and gets a full D-I ride instead of $5,000 a year from a D-II school, there's no doubt which path you should take.

Lets be real here...this isn't about getting a scholarship...Pineweood costs 40k and that's before books, computer, travel. So to say this is about getting a scholarship is not really the case. Maybe for the kid going to ESP (their tuition is subsidized privately). this is a classic we want to play for the best coach and program in Norcal..not about academics or getting a scholarship.

If you think any of the top players at PW are paying that then you are the one not being real...

do you actually know the demographic of the kids/families at Pinewood? We have family friends with Scott Rich (head of school) and you'd be surprised what athletes actually pay. This isn't BOD, SHC, or SMS. I think it's funny how many people thing all these athletes at private school are on full scholarship...it's girls basketball. It's not boys where they actually have donors that pay for kids scholarships. There's a catholic school here in the East Bay where there is ONE donor that contributes 100% to three ATHLETIC basketball scholarships. THREE FULL! and guess what...they're always in contention for a state title. Their girls program? Shambles....there aren't too many institutions that really put their money where their mouth is with girls sports. it's always about the boys...

Also....these are independent schools---not private. big difference...

Clay K, when I mention the system being "broken", I am referencing Mitty's ability to not only re-load with incoming 8th graders, but also with students that transfer in. For years on these boards, defenders of WCAL schools claim that the admissions office treats all students in a similar fashion. I would like to believe that, but when this news gets posted, about two elite players coming to Mitty, and also going over to Mitty's de facto club team, it just makes me lose my idealistic views of high school athletics.

The top tier schools are run more like colleges than high schools, and I am not sure if that is necessarily a good thing, as the majority of CCS member schools cannot compete with the resources of the elite programs.

It will be interesting to see what comes of the WCAL on the girls side, as they are really starting to have the huge disparities in talent/scores that occur in most public school leagues.

Good point ... and one aspect of private schools, even Catholic ones, is that they must recruit students in general to fill the classrooms and pay the bills. Exceptional athletic teams not only attract athletes to the school, they are free marketing.

If your school wins a statewide math contest, you don't get quite the marketing bang for the buck that you do with an elite basketball or football team.

Reactions: alwayslearning
All true. The 2017 St. Francis (Mountain View) varsity football team contained 70 players who hailed from 25 different Bay Area cities, from San Bruno and Newark to Foster City and Morgan Hill. Recruiting? Gee, you be the judge.

do you actually know the demographic of the kids/families at Pinewood? We have family friends with Scott Rich (head of school) and you'd be surprised what athletes actually pay. This isn't BOD, SHC, or SMS. I think it's funny how many people thing all these athletes at private school are on full scholarship...it's girls basketball. It's not boys where they actually have donors that pay for kids scholarships. There's a catholic school here in the East Bay where there is ONE donor that contributes 100% to three ATHLETIC basketball scholarships. THREE FULL! and guess what...they're always in contention for a state title. Their girls program? Shambles....there aren't too many institutions that really put their money where their mouth is with girls sports. it's always about the boys...

I never said they got full scholarships.. but I have known enough families that chose PW (or turned them down) that were offered tuition significantly lower than the 40k you mentioned. I'm not just making this up. I doubt that multiple, unrelated sources would all lie about something like that.

Why would a family not want to send their daughter to a school that fosters and supports the sport they are full committed to playing? The rich get richer? Yes, they do when they keep doing things that made them rich in the first place.

Reactions: OnBall8

How is the BOYS program at Pinewood or the other sports??? Exactly, so Scott Rich is obviously supporting one coach and one sport.

How is the BOYS program at Pinewood or the other sports??? Exactly, so Scott Rich is obviously supporting one coach and one sport.

LOL you got me there...I can't say why they haven't had the success that the girls have had! I don't know how it works at Pinewood, just don't think they just take anyone and give them free reign. as for SF football...that's insane!

I have always liked the banter on various topics
Some good, some bad

Maybe you should just ask the parents if you really want to know...just a thought

Last edited:
I have always liked the banter on various topics
Some good, some bad

Maybe you should just ask the parents if you really want to know...just a thought

doubt ANY parent on financial assistance or not is willing to tell anyone what they pay. it's like asking how much money you make....

I was speaking about the transfers. You are right about the financial conversation that is not shared...besides it is none of our business

You would be surprised how many are willing to share that their kid got offered a full ride without having to ask. Kind of like being proud of college offers I guess?
I am all over Mitty and the national championship sweatshirt thing in a different thread. But they are the pinnacle for girls basketball in northern cal and the entire state. With the relaxed transfer rules and limited sit out periods Mitty is going to benefit as they should. They care about their sports, support girls basketball and have the top coach, players and program in the state. It is really not close.

With the relaxed transfer rules and limited sit out periods Mitty is going to benefit as they should.
A couple points need to be made about Mitty and transfers. First of all, the girls I've heard mentioned (on this thread) are freshmen. For quite some time, freshmen could transfer without sitting out. So relaxed transfer rules aren't really important in this case. Secondly, Mitty does not typically rely on transfers. I know of only two or three in the last ten years, and they had limited impact as basketball players.As in not a lot of playing time or not continuing on the team. I'm aware of at least a couple VERY good players (eventually D1 players) who were not accepted for transfer because their grades did not meet the standard. I believe you need much higher grades to transfer into Mitty than to be accepted as a freshman. Maybe I'm missing someone, but I can't remember a transfer to Mitty who had a major impact since Hannah Stevens, and she must have graduated in 2007 or 2008. So we'll see if anyone transfers in next year, but it would be a rarity if they had an impact on the program.

A couple points need to be made about Mitty and transfers. First of all, the girls I've heard mentioned (on this thread) are freshmen. For quite some time, freshmen could transfer without sitting out. So relaxed transfer rules aren't really important in this case. Secondly, Mitty does not typically rely on transfers. I know of only two or three in the last ten years, and they had limited impact as basketball players.As in not a lot of playing time or not continuing on the team. I'm aware of at least a couple VERY good players (eventually D1 players) who were not accepted for transfer because their grades did not meet the standard. I believe you need much higher grades to transfer into Mitty than to be accepted as a freshman. Maybe I'm missing someone, but I can't remember a transfer to Mitty who had a major impact since Hannah Stevens, and she must have graduated in 2007 or 2008. So we'll see if anyone transfers in next year, but it would be a rarity if they had an impact on the program.

That's a well-analyzed response for sure. Appreciate the perspective.

I am all over Mitty and the national championship sweatshirt thing in a different thread. But they are the pinnacle for girls basketball in northern cal and the entire state. With the relaxed transfer rules and limited sit out periods Mitty is going to benefit as they should. They care about their sports, support girls basketball and have the top coach, players and program in the state. It is really not close.

Mater Dei should be in that conversation as well. And maybe Pinewood too. Not too long ago, Brea Olinda would have been included. And Long Beach Poly. SMS isn't too shabby. Refresh my fading memory: Has Mitty ever won an Open Division title?

Mater Dei should be in that conversation as well. And maybe Pinewood too. Not too long ago, Brea Olinda would have been included. And Long Beach Poly. SMS isn't too shabby. Refresh my fading memory: Has Mitty ever won an Open Division title?

I know the argument regarding norcal champs, state champs or national champs could be endless and numerous POV's can be expressed. I know as far as a successful program, Mitty absolutely develops and prepares young girls for playing at the next level. The program is run in a college like atmosphere. If there is a young girl truly looking to extend her playing career and the chance to attend a major university there are very few programs that have them more prepared than Mitty. I feel that many coaches look at those players from that program and feel that the college level play and the rigorous workout and academic workload is something they have been accustomed to over the course of their high school experience.

I know the argument regarding norcal champs, state champs or national champs could be endless and numerous POV's can be expressed. I know as far as a successful program, Mitty absolutely develops and prepares young girls for playing at the next level. The program is run in a college like atmosphere. If there is a young girl truly looking to extend her playing career and the chance to attend a major university there are very few programs that have them more prepared than Mitty. I feel that many coaches look at those players from that program and feel that the college level play and the rigorous workout and academic workload is something they have been accustomed to over the course of their high school experience.

As much as I hate to admit it, SJbasket is 100% true. No other program develops the ENTIRE player like they do at Mitty. I would also put Pinewood in that conversation. They play great man to man defense, zone it up once in a while, players have developed IQ and they do get it done in the classroom. Sure you have programs like SMS, Salesian, Miramonte, and C-Let that are successful, but when you look a the entire body of work that Sue does with her players, it's night and day. Being able to play and defend properly is a great measuring stick. The before mentioned run systems and play majority of zone and when they try to play man, they get away with it because of their athleticism-terrible man principles. Winning over development vs. Winning and development...BIG differences

Doc and Sue are in a class of their own.

Reactions: 6kids
As much as I hate to admit it, SJbasket is 100% true. No other program develops the ENTIRE player like they do at Mitty. I would also put Pinewood in that conversation. They play great man to man defense, zone it up once in a while, players have developed IQ and they do get it done in the classroom. Sure you have programs like SMS, Salesian, Miramonte, and C-Let that are successful, but when you look a the entire body of work that Sue does with her players, it's night and day. Being able to play and defend properly is a great measuring stick. The before mentioned run systems and play majority of zone and when they try to play man, they get away with it because of their athleticism-terrible man principles. Winning over development vs. Winning and development...BIG differences

Doc and Sue are in a class of their own.
I think Nor Cal has several programs and coaches that have developed talent and that talent has had success at the next level.

I think Nor Cal has several programs and coaches that have developed talent and that talent has had success at the next level.

I would say true that there are programs that have talented young ladies that have the ability to play at the next level, but in terms of being capable to handle everything that is expected at the next level you would be hard pressed to find a program other than Mitty that goes to the level of detail in preparation and expectation. weight work, film study, software programs that breakdown the analytics of games, balancing demanding academic workload, huge playbook, and understanding scouting reports are a few of the things that separate Mitty from other programs. Its not surprising that young ladies wanting to be fully prepared to handle and succeed at the next level have chosen Mitty. I would think Sue doesn't really entertain transfers, but rather wanting to groom younger players at an earlier age to understand the expectations of her program.

It would seem to me there's no reason for Sue or her staff to recruit ... just like De La Salle football. Families and players want to be there, and if they apply to transfer in, that's their decision.

If I had a daughter with Division I potential in the South Bay, and she wanted to the full high school experience (big school, football, etc.), Mitty would be a very obvious choice to maximize her chances of a $250,000 scholarship and let her enjoy her teen-age years.

Reactions: 6kids
There are other programs that are developing talent and sending kids to the next level prepared athletically, socially and academically in the South Bay. Mitty is getting the best talent and therefore sending the most kids to the next level, but not the only program or school able to BEST prepare kids to succeed at the next level. It is the school that is sending the most kids to the next level though and there is also a definite advantage to wearing a MItty jersey in the college coaches eyes, especially the kids who have gone mid major or low D1 and got full scholarships that may not have otherwise.

There are other programs that are developing talent and sending kids to the next level prepared athletically, socially and academically in the South Bay. Mitty is getting the best talent and therefore sending the most kids to the next level, but not the only program or school able to BEST prepare kids to succeed at the next level. It is the school that is sending the most kids to the next level though and there is also a definite advantage to wearing a MItty jersey in the college coaches eyes, especially the kids who have gone mid major or low D1 and got full scholarships that may not have otherwise.
you say that without providing examples... who else is even close?

Sorry...i seriously couldn't completely comprehend what that person was saying...

In the Bay Area, there's no school even close. In Norcal, I think SMS has done a great job of getting multiple players to the next level. MY last take is who the hell cares what division. If kids the get the opportunity to play at the next level, get some money for it or get it paid, then that's what matters. Use sports to be a vehicle to get you to where you wanna go.

Reactions: TwinJevonne
MY last take is who the hell cares what division. If kids the get the opportunity to play at the next level, get some money for it or get it paid, then that's what matters. Use sports to be a vehicle to get you to where you wanna go.
also very very true. And in that case you could make a point for pinewood. They have gotten a lot of kids into the d2 level. Which like you said.. get an education for free or discounted by playing a sport you love, no brainer

Last edited:
Who else is close to getting the same amount of incoming talent and numbers of basketball players? No one is close. I heard Mitty has upwards of 50-60 girls trying out for their Freshman team. Sue is cutting kids what would start on a lot of public school varsity teams in the area.

Agree with Clay: If I had a daughter with Division I potential in the South Bay, and she wanted to the full high school experience (big school, football, etc.), Mitty would be a very obvious choice to maximize her chances of a $250,000 scholarship and let her enjoy her teen-age years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT