ADVERTISEMENT

Mitty v. Pinewood (again)

People are silly.. they hold the #2 spot until someone comes and takes it from them.. menlo tried and went 1-2 with increasingly worse losses after nearly losing at the buzzer..

I think you mean Norcal Open calibre. I don' t think there was any doubt they are CCS open calibre.

No I remember some people saying they weren’t going to even be a CCS Open team this year. Some had doubt. Most still thought Doc would get them into the CCS Open.

Reactions: Norcal_Fan
I was at the game and Pinewood destroyed Menlo. Mitty dominated St. Ignatius. The CCS championship game will be a good competitive game Friday.

Pinewood will always be in ccs open and should be. Any team that can offer real scholarships to kids/parents to attend should be an automatic in NorCal open too. The wbal is the league it is at the top end because of that. Look at the tuition costs at the schools at the top of wbal.

Pinewood will always be in ccs open and should be. Any team that can offer real scholarships to kids/parents to attend should be an automatic in NorCal open too. The wbal is the league it is at the top end because of that. Look at the tuition costs at the schools at the top of wbal.

I think you're overlooking the fact that a lot of the these parents ALREADY have money and don't need scholarships. I'd be surprised (and think you would be too) as to how many kids actually are on scholarship/merrit at PW, SHP, or Menlo.

A lot??? o_O okay sorry maybe just not a lot of the top 5 kids and frosh who are on varsity.
Exactly.. there are multiple kids on pinewood that don't pay full tuition if they pay anything at all. And there are multiple kids at other schools that turned down scholarships to play at pinewood. They basically ask you to commit like a college

Reactions: GBBall4L
It would have been a lot easier to be competitive at Bentley if there were any advantages available to girls' basketball players. I'll just throw one name out there: Haley Van Dyke, now at Washington. She didn't live in Moraga (she went to Campolindo), and it would have been an interesting choice for her family if she could have gone to Bentley at a reduced price, or free.

Not saying she would have, of course, but she would have made a difference -- and certainly made it easier to attract other players.

I don't think you can underestimate the importance of a private or Catholic school that is willing to give out merit scholarships or price breaks to athletes. It changes everything.

On the flip side, those that don't operate at a significant disadvantage because many parents are unable or unwilling to pay for high school when they can get it for free.

It would have been a lot easier to be competitive at Bentley if there were any advantages available to girls' basketball players. I'll just throw one name out there: Haley Van Dyke, now at Washington. She didn't live in Moraga (she went to Campolindo), and it would have been an interesting choice for her family if she could have gone to Bentley at a reduced price, or free.

Not saying she would have, of course, but she would have made a difference -- and certainly made it easier to attract other players.

I don't think you can underestimate the importance of a private or Catholic school that is willing to give out merit scholarships or price breaks to athletes. It changes everything.

On the flip side, those that don't operate at a significant disadvantage because many parents are unable or unwilling to pay for high school when they can get it for free.
Private high schools are able to admit whio they want. Why they want. They also are able to provide aid to attend Heard SHP’s endowment is now up to 50 mil dollars. Which is a key reason sections have created “ open” divisions as this talent imbalance has widened. Again this is why woodside 3rd in wbal or prez 5th in wcal should have been in open. ( who are winning games by 30 in non open)This isn’t about lynbrook.

Exactly.. there are multiple kids on pinewood that don't pay full tuition if they pay anything at all. And there are multiple kids at other schools that turned down scholarships to play at pinewood. They basically ask you to commit like a college
How do you know that? Interesting when posters seem to always have this inside information on who pays what at which school.

How do you know that? Interesting when posters seem to always have this inside information on who pays what at which school.
Ok I guess I don't see the checks they write to the school. But parents in the stands have loose lips and they can't help but talk about their little sally or susie. I'm sure we have all been there.. you don't even have to ask pointed questions.. hell you don't even have to be a part of the conversation to hear some of these things.

Could they be lying? Of course, but are THAT many people really lying about it? That would be one hell of a coordinated conspiracy theory

Last edited:
The key to private schools is whether they want to support athletics financially or not -- and if they have more applications than spots to fill, they are unlikely to do so. Very few private schools in the East Bay give money or aid specifically to athletes, so all those schools begin with a disadvantage.

Those private schools that do, and it's clear who they are, have a significant advantage, but the decision is made at the administrative level. And administrations can change their focus as well, de-emphasizing athletics, say, in favor of arts or STEM.

That's a major reason I disagree with splitting privates and publics, because the vast majority of private schools do not emphasize athletics. Another reason, of course, is charter schools and magnet schools, which are public but can control admission policies without regard to intradistrict boundaries.

So you would have North Carolina st seeded higher than duke in this years tourney. Got it

But that's not the remotely same thing.

You have two spots for SHP, Presentation and Lynbrook. You don't leave out the team that beat the other two, and otherwise had a much better record.

But that's not the remotely same thing.

You have two spots for SHP, Presentation and Lynbrook. You don't leave out the team that beat the other two, and otherwise had a much better record.
Woodside priory
What would lynbrooks record have been if in the WBAL or WCAL?

Ok I guess I don't see the checks they write to the school. But parents in the stands have loose lips and they can't help but talk about their little sally or susie. I'm sure we have all been there.. you don't even have to ask pointed questions.. hell you don't even have to be a part of the conversation to hear some of these things.

Could they be lying? Of course, but are THAT many people really lying about it? That would be one hell of a coordinated conspiracy theory

Parents in the stands always are talking about this and that...my son/daughter got a scholarship of this much or that player go this much..it's all smoke and mirrors. I'm not gonna say who's lying or not. But lets put it this way...Do you think that PW would have a mediocre boys team not giving them scholarships BUT an amazing girls team giving scholarships? It's normally the other way around...boys team is GOOD and have scholarships and so is the girls team.

Again, I call BS on the pinewood scholarship (they may have a couple but not a lot) thing...but for a program like BOD, CLET, Mitty, and maybe SJND I could see it.

Reactions: Coach_Case
Ha you are jaded. The boys don't come because they don't have a great coach. The girls do. There are girls there that would not choose PW in a million years if it weren't for Doc.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Ha you are jaded. The boys don't come because they don't have a great coach. The girls do. There are girls there that would not choose PW in a million years if it weren't for Doc.

Although Pinewood does offer a great education your comment is still #Facts

Jaded of what? I don't have a dog in this race. I just think it's funny that many of you who think they know, really don't know how the admissions process works at a lot of these schools, and even more so how financial aid works. What works for PW is different from Mitty, SHC, SI and even Bentley. I've mentioned on here before that my ex-wife worked in admissions for two parochial and one independent schools here in the Bay Area. My knowledge is based on these three schools...again every school is different.

Do You think the admin waves a magic wand and boom! 5 brand new full ride scholarships seem to appear out of nowhere? Every student at most private and independent schools have to be accounted for because most are tuition driven. Doc, in my mind is easily in the conversation of best coaches around and agree that he's a HUGE draw for kids to play GBB at Pinewood. All I'm saying is look at some of the better programs in the area (and even state for that matter) and you don't see that much separation between the boys and girls programs AND more often that not, it was the boys that had success first.

And for what it's. worth, PW boys in the early 90's did have a good basketball program...why the decline...? who knows.

Sorry but if you think a 6'2" post player who was a south bay public school kid her entire life (even as a sophomore in HS) all of a sudden ends up at PW, along with her brother... and you don't think she's getting a full ride then you are jaded.

I too know how admissions works at certain places from having gone there, worked there, family connections, close friends, etc. You ain't the only one

Reactions: Winning Is Fun
Sorry but if you think a 6'2" post player who was a south bay public school kid her entire life (even as a sophomore in HS) all of a sudden ends up at PW, along with her brother... and you don't think she's getting a full ride then you are jaded.

I too know how admissions works at certain places from having gone there, worked there, family connections, close friends, etc. You ain't the only one

Well I guess we know why the WCAL is the best league and the WBAL is the second best! Every kid on the team has scholarships. Again, it's just hard for me to believer that there are as many scholarships (especially on the girls side) as some think.

Well I guess we know why the WCAL is the best league and the WBAL is the second best! Every kid on the team has scholarships. Again, it's just hard for me to believer that there are as many scholarships (especially on the girls side) as some think.

He isn't talking about a WCAL team.

Reactions: OnBall8
They don’t have scholarships like you would think in high school. However, some families have a percentage of their tuition paid through financial aid. If they did give scholarships, I wouldn’t see the problem. Giving kids opportunities they wouldn’t otherwise have if they didn’t have something to offer the school should be celebrated. If they can stack up academically, what’s the problem? The better question is why don’t more private schools want well rounded talented students athletes on their campus.

Its not popular for the student or parent(s) to disclose that they are getting a break on the tuition. But we all know whats going on. You're not fooling anyone in thinking you are paying full price on tuition.

First of all the student has to be to be educationally competent. No one is going to do the work for him/her. Schools wont take in dumb**ses because that is not worth their trouble. Whats the minimum GPA now for the private schools to be eligible to play? 2.5? 2.7? Secondly kids go to where the coach or system in place gives them the best chance at playing at next level. Its not going to be weighted on education.

Its not popular for the student or parent(s) to disclose that they are getting a break on the tuition. But we all know whats going on. You're not fooling anyone in thinking you are paying full price on tuition.

First of all the student has to be to be educationally competent. No one is going to do the work for him/her. Schools wont take in dumb**ses because that is not worth their trouble. Whats the minimum GPA now for the private schools to be eligible to play? 2.5? 2.7? Secondly kids go to where the coach or system in place gives them the best chance at playing at next level. Its not going to be weighted on education.

I would agree that the Coach/program recruits themselves. It's often the people on the teams that the privates are beating up on claiming scholarship this and that when quite often it's the program itself that is attracting the kids. Now do I believe that the privates will and do give tuition breaks to some? ABSOLUTELY.... Usually it involves looking at the family financials and honestly the kid has to be to be worth it...in that I mean the grades have to be there with no history of the kid being a trouble maker. A not so well off family will ABSOLUTELY be given a chance at most privates whether that kid is a great athlete, musician or just a regular student. Often though the athletics aspect is front and center and that just not always true. There are plenty of examples of non athletes being helped out.

Which private schools take sports seriously? Look at the section, NorCal and state champions for the past five or ten years.

It's pretty clear ...

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Lynbrook should be playing Sacred Heart Prep CCS Open consolation game. Let's see if they can beat them twice.

No. They don't play again _ unless they are placed in the same NorCal playoff bracket and then it might be possible.

Which private schools take sports seriously? Look at the section, NorCal and state champions for the past five or ten years.

It's pretty clear ...

How true. In CCS, the private/parochials have 30 state crowns; the publics have one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT