ADVERTISEMENT

Mitty v. Pinewood (again)

I was there and you started to feel it starting to run away late in th 3rd. Pinewood played hard early but so did Mitty. Pinewood didn't give up so I have to give them credit. But the Monarchs were just way too much.

It was a game for 10 minutes. Pinewood missed some easy shots, and failed to capitalize on repeated 3 on 2 advantages after breaking Mitty's press. When Mitty hit a couple shots in a row, they upped their defensive intensity, and Pinewood was cooked. Katie Springs and Hunter Hernandez were monsters in the paint.

Strangely, Pinewood emptied its bench before Mitty did.

It was a game for 10 minutes. Pinewood missed some easy shots, and failed to capitalize on repeated 3 on 2 advantages after breaking Mitty's press. When Mitty hit a couple shots in a row, they upped their defensive intensity, and Pinewood was cooked. Katie Springs and Hunter Hernandez were monsters in the paint.

Strangely, Pinewood emptied its bench before Mitty did.

They missed looks because the length and athleticism made it difficult. Let's be honest, Pinewood doesn't wanna make layups. They wanna suck defenders in and kick out for 3s, they don't believe in mid-range shots etc. They missed easy looks kuz they were put in a position that called their bluff and Mitty said we are not gonna let you suck our defenders down. We wanna see you make difficult layups kuz that's what you don't wanna do. Having to work harder makes your 3 ball fall off.

On another note, former Pinewood player Olivia Williams cooked Pinewood for 17 pts. I saw her when she was at Pinewood before and she was nothing like what she is now. I am still curious as to why she left Pinewood?

Reactions: redjuice
On another note, former Pinewood player Olivia Williams cooked Pinewood for 17 pts. I saw her when she was at Pinewood before and she was nothing like what she is now. I am still curious as to why she left Pinewood?
Is that a sarcastic question?

Is that a sarcastic question?

I have a lot of respect for Doc and what he has done with that program. But I do hear so much about how Pinewood develops players better than other programs and Mitty doesn't develop players they just get players already developed. So when a kid leaves Pinewood and goes to Mitty and seismically improves, shouldn't that bring that narrative into question?

She didn’t fit the system. Basketball is a lot about fit. Pinewood has a perimeter centered offense with a read and react component to it. Mitty’s style of play is more complimentary to her skill set.

Does Pinewood have a case to be out of the Open after that margin of defeat?

I have a lot of respect for Doc and what he has done with that program. But I do hear so much about how Pinewood develops players better than other programs and Mitty doesn't develop players they just get players already developed. So when a kid leaves Pinewood and goes to Mitty and seismically improves, shouldn't that bring that narrative into question?

Personally, I think Doc and Sue are the two best coaches in Norcal. I'm not saying there aren't others that are good, but those two stand out. I've had the pleasure to watch both run practices and man, they're very good. Yes they get good players, but their players and teams get better.

Personally, I think Doc and Sue are the two best coaches in Norcal. I'm not saying there aren't others that are good, but those two stand out. I've had the pleasure to watch both run practices and man, they're very good. Yes they get good players, but their players and teams get better.

You should watch a Mertle practice...

No McDonald all Americans or Foreign National team members coming thru that program. Just local Sonoma county girls.

She didn’t fit the system. Basketball is a lot about fit. Pinewood has a perimeter centered offense with a read and react component to it. Mitty’s style of play is more complimentary to her skill set.

From what I've seen Williams is one of the best 3 pt shooters at Mitty. She is long, can dribble and attack the basket as well as shoot the 3. She has hit three point shots in multiple games. How does that not fit?

You should watch a Mertle practice...

No McDonald all Americans or Foreign National team members coming thru that program. Just local Sonoma county girls.

I would LOVE to watch one of her practices. I LOVE the way she coaches! That said, Sonoma is a pretty big draw for CN just like WCAL/WBAL teams...good basketball program and i assume good academics=success!

No Pinewood:

If NorCal Open is six, or eight with Clovises ...

Mitty
SMS
SJND
Cardinal Newman
Antelope
Salesian

If NorCal Open is eight

Mitty
SMS
Antelope
SJND
Cardinal Newman
BOD
Salesian
Oak Ridge/Miramonte

It's hard to see Pinewood not in with eight, but maybe possible with six.

Reactions: colhenrylives
No Pinewood:

If NorCal Open is six, or eight with Clovises ...

Mitty
SMS
SJND
Cardinal Newman
Antelope
Salesian

If NorCal Open is eight

Mitty
SMS
Antelope
SJND
Cardinal Newman
BOD
Salesian
Oak Ridge/Miramonte

It's hard to see Pinewood not in with eight, but maybe possible with six.

Does anyone know when the CIF makes up their mind about the central section? I think it’s so dumb keeping everyone in limbo till Sunday. Why the uncertainty of where to put them?

From what I've seen Williams is one of the best 3 pt shooters at Mitty. She is long, can dribble and attack the basket as well as shoot the 3. She has hit three point shots in multiple games. How does that not fit?
She does everything like you said. So putting her on the perimeter predominantly is not getting the most out of her. Pinewood is a 3 or layup type of offense. She can post and shoot the mid range along with being a good rebounder. Having her stand on the 3 point line hoisting 3’s would not be maximizing her talents.

Reactions: GBBall4L
If norcal OPEN is 8 and no Clovis..

The 8 will be:

1.Mitty (2 wins over SJND)
2.SJND (win over BOD)
3.SMS (loss to BOD)
4.CN (loss to SJND)
5.Salesian (loss to CN)
----‐---TOP 5 ---

BOD
Antelope
PW

Some combination of these 3 as the 6/7/8 seeds.

I think those 8 are a slam dunk (if No Clovis West)

If norcal OPEN is 8 and no Clovis..

The 8 will be:

1.Mitty (2 wins over SJND)
2.SJND (win over BOD)
3.SMS (loss to BOD)
4.CN (loss to SJND)
5.Salesian (loss to CN)
----‐---TOP 5 ---

BOD
Antelope
PW

Some combination of these 3 as the 6/7/8 seeds.

I think those 8 are a slam dunk (if No Clovis West)
That is a solid open division. I might switch 3 and 4 and 7 & 8. So if it is these 8 we go
1. Mitty Open Champ
2. SJND Open Champ
3. Cardinal Newman Open Runner Up
4. SM Stockton
5. Salesian
6. Bishop O'Dowd
7. Pinewood
8. Antelope

That is a solid open division. I might switch 3 and 4 and 7 & 8. So if it is these 8 we go
1. Mitty Open Champ
2. SJND Open Champ
3. Cardinal Newman Open Runner Up
4. SM Stockton
5. Salesian
6. Bishop O'Dowd
7. Pinewood
8. Antelope

I agree... I think those are the 8 (non CW)

And I think you should be on the committee...I like your seeding thinking...lol

The 1 thing I would say if the CIF wanted to make a statement to the SJS about no OPEN section would be to put SMS at 4 (and Antelope at 8) basically telling/nudging the section to do an OPEN in the future. (I think ClayK made a comment on this on 1 of the other threads)

Last edited:
Reactions: observer22
I agree... I think those are the 8 (non CW)

And I think you should be on the committee...I like your seeding thinking...lol

The 1 thing I would say if the CIF wanted to make a statement to the SJS about no OPEN section would be to put SMS at 4 (and Antelope at 8) basically telling/nudging the section to do an OPEN in the future. (I think ClayK made a comment on this on 1 of the other threads)
SMS will be #2, just based on all the rankings .

I'd have to agree. St Joe's has to be the highest seed out of NCS, and their body of work just doesn't stack up to SMS this year. Like it or not.
CCS has always received slightly better seeds due to the open. I think the same goes for NCS this year. SJND beat Odowd and SMS lost to the same team. Common opponent victory tilts the scales in favor of the NCS open winner. You can talk about resume all you want but the elephant in the room is always head to head or common opponent comparison. Sorry SMS you are going to have to travel and play on the road.

I will take a stab at it...
Mitty
SMS
st joseph
salesian
pinewood
cardinal newman
antelope
bishop o dowd

last year if not mistaken they went right off maxpreps with championships and runner ups(of opens getting a bump)

possibly swap salesian and cardinal newman( then both ahead of pwood ppossibly but newman earl season common opponents schedule with teams behind them doesnt match up.....)

but I will go with above max preps/open bumps/strength of schedule and common opponents

CCS has always received slightly better seeds due to the open. I think the same goes for NCS this year. SJND beat Odowd and SMS lost to the same team. Common opponent victory tilts the scales in favor of the NCS open winner. You can talk about resume all you want but the elephant in the room is always head to head or common opponent comparison. Sorry SMS you are going to have to travel and play on the road.
Maxpreps has SMS #4 in California, St joes #51

It’s a shame St.Marys took SJND off the schedule mid season. Then there wouldn’t be anything to dispute.

It’s a shame St.Marys took SJND off the schedule mid season. Then there wouldn’t be anything to dispute.
I doubt it was SMS that opted out of that game. They needed all the games they could get and had SJND at home. Usually, it is the traveling team that cancels out.

SMS had a week between games due to that canceled game. SJND had a game scheduled on the day before the scheduled game against SMS and they eventually played Clayton Charter at Miramonti the day after. I doubt a team would schedule three games in a row with an out of the bay area travel in the middle. , so it appears that more than likely SJND had a different option open up late and decided to go that route instead of traveling to Stockton on Friday night.

So I seriously doubt it was SMS who was responsible for the canceled game. This is not the first time that Bay Area schools have opted out of traveling to Stockton late in the season. I believe BO also was slated to play in Stockton in January this season. I believe wondering why they were scheduled twice this season. remember thinking that they should get them in the rematch. It's been quite a few years that BO has opted out of coming to Stockton to fulfill their home and home commitment. , In a way, I can see their point. It's not always an easy trip to make in January travel-wise let alone playing on SMS home court.

I called it a couple weeks ago that PW could be kept out of open with a blowout loss to Mitty... even with 8 teams they would not have gone!

I called it a couple weeks ago that PW could be kept out of open with a blowout loss to Mitty... even with 8 teams they would not have gone!
Their loss to Miramonte is what kept them out of Open. Not the blowout loss to Mitty

Yup. And the loss to Salesian.

And no wins against the cream of the crop. (best maybe SRV, Menlo or Oakland Tech)

while I agree, thats not what people said after the loss.. plenty said that CCS open runner up was a lock..

I thought Pinewood was still a lock but I was way off. I thought they had enough decisive victories over teams seeded in the CIF Norcal D1 that they would still go Open. I thought the same about Salesian also. But I am still new to the selection process. o_O

while I agree, thats not what people said after the loss.. plenty said that CCS open runner up was a lock..
Yes, I was one of those that said that too. But I think we were all looking at Pinewood history. If you break down this team just based on this year alone, I actually agree that this team does not have a resume to be an NorCal Open Team.

Yes, I was one of those that said that too. But I think we were all looking at Pinewood history. If you break down this team just based on this year alone, I actually agree that this team does not have a resume to be an NorCal Open Team.
You were the only one convinced by what I said a month ago.. PW was not open caliber without an upset of Mitty

Reactions: basketba11
You were the only one convinced by what I said a month ago.. PW was not open caliber without an upset of Mitty
I guess me and GBBall, you were right. PW not Open caliber. I guess CCS only has 1 team open caliber and is definitely the favorite to come out of NorCal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT