ADVERTISEMENT

MLK EVent @ DLS

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
Getting ready for the first game, Redwodd vs Moreau Catholic.

On Saturday, Redwood played one of the most astounding first halves ever seen in my illustrious (??) “career” as a HS hoops fan, holding Clovis West’s high-octane offense to just 14 points…

The bad news, I heard from an assistant coach that they are going to severely limit minutes, even possibly holding out some stars altogether, due to a tough league game tomorrow. This includes point guard Jake Vasquez, who was absolutely amazing Saturday.

Anyway, they face Moreau today, and the game is already going on…. so I don’t have any takes on what they’re doing today.

Early on, it’s tied at 5.

Sorry, it seems I am still in lo-energy, hi-typo mode, just can’t get going…. yet. 6:20 left, Redwood leads 18-15.

Cole Loud’s 2nd dunk of the day ties it at 21, then he cooks up a Wilsonburger on the other end, leading to a Moreau score…. 23-21 Moreau. 2:23 left in the half

Sorry, it seems I am still in lo-energy, hi-typo mode, just can’t get going…. yet. 6:20 left, Redwood leads 18-15.
Getting ready for the first game, Redwodd vs Moreau Catholic.

On Saturday, Redwood played one of the most astounding first halves ever seen in my illustrious (??) “career” as a HS hoops fan, holding Clovis West’s high-octane offense to just 14 points…

The bad news, I heard from an assistant coach that they are going to severely limit minutes, even possibly holding out some stars altogether, due to a tough league game tomorrow. This includes point guard Jake Vasquez, who was absolutely amazing Saturday.

Anyway, they face Moreau today, and the game is already going on…. so I don’t have any takes on what they’re doing today.

Early on, it’s tied at 5.
Well that ain’t a championship mentality. During Riordan state title year they played Tuesday Thursday Saturday , MLK then Wednesday Friday. Played Elk Grove. Barely beat them. Team was exhausted. If redwood rests their players they shouldn’t be invited back. What is this the NBA? And if I am not mistaken the previous week was The Caminade tournament which was loaded in Los Angeles and got back Sunday.

Reactions: Eastbayhoops
I agree (mostly) about the limiting-minutes thing…. But this is the first time with a powerful team for this coach…. and it *could* have a benefit, maybe the coach gets to evaluate and maybe lengthen his bench for games up the road…. But yeah, I’m kinda bummed…. a little.

But I certainly do NOT agree about the “never invite ‘em back” thing. A coach can coach any way he wants within the rules.

And it’s not like I paid $500 to get in the gym here…. I’m not being ripped off here as a fan, just slightly bummed.

Reactions: M.C. fan
Tied at 40, Cole Loud at the line for Moreau, makes both. 38 seconds left 3rd.

Two straight Moreau steals in those last seconds lead to 3 more points…. 45-40 Moreau after 3 quarters.

Moreau got the lead to 49-45, but I think it was Redwood’s junior center Somon Leonard who put one back in to make it 49-47. 2:05 left.

Redwood lead pass goes too far, collected by Moreau, time out, 1:12 left. 51-47 Moreau.

Redwood scores, 52 seconds left, down by 2, elects to be patient and straight-up defensively…. and they force a shot-clock violation! Time out, Redwood has it on their own end, down by 51-49…. 7.5 seconds left.

Next up, Folsom v. Oakwood.

I know absolutely zero about Oakwood, except their record… and that thru MaxPreps…. The North Hollywood team is 9-12, but they have played (and lost to) some solid SoCal teams.

I’ve seen Folsom a few times, and they are a solid but young group that is better than their 11-8 record would indicate.

Folsom with a couple of steals and runouts, scores 8 straight. 1:48 to go 1st, 16-11 Folsom.

Folsom finishes that quarter off, bigtime…. 17-2 in the last 3:21. 25-13 after 1 quarter.

Unless those guys were hurt, I don’t understand sitting out starters for such a big game. Maybe that win is the difference between Redwood playing a road game in NCS and playing a home game.

Branson is an open team, so their path in NCS seems a little easier to me then winning their league

We have our hands full with Notre Dame Prep and their star Anthony Batson Jr.
Bernard will have to have another defensive gem to hinder Batson's scoring. Washington, Sykes and Jones need to perform at a very high level.

Unless those guys were hurt, I don’t understand sitting out starters for such a big game. Maybe that win is the difference between Redwood playing a road game in NCS and playing a home game.

Branson is an open team, so their path in NCS seems a little easier to me then winning their league
I could only see two players not suited up for Redwood. One on crutches. Not sure how many stars they sat. Seemed like they rotated 10 players. IDK

We have our hands full with Notre Dame Prep and their star Anthony Batson Jr.
Bernard will have to have another defensive gem to hinder Batson's scoring. Washington, Sykes and Jones need to perform at a very high level.
What about Cotton

I could only see two players not suited up for Redwood. One on crutches. Not sure how many stars they sat. Seemed like they rotated 10 players. IDK
The one on crutches is their best player and he didn’t play Saturday vs Clovis west when they rolled them

49-36 after 3 quarters…

Next game, the competition will step WAY up, Modesto Christian v Notre Dame Prep, one of the top teams in AZ.

re: Redwood, the one not dressed and not with crutches is point guard Jake Vasquez, who was absolutley terrific Saturday. I didn’t look and see/count other non-dressed players.

Getting my first look at NDP’s Batson…. Dude hasn’t missed many days in the gym.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT