ADVERTISEMENT

MLK EVent @ DLS

...There was a comment that the gym was fairly empty early on, just wanted to point out that the gym was jammed pack during most of the 2nd Session of games.
Yes, it was quite crowded for the afternoon games.

I heard a comment that maybe DLS should try to schedule at least of some of the morning games between teams whose fan base is closer, even if the competition level isn't quite as high. maybe even a league game between, say, Las Lomas and Northgate for example.

I think that, some years, the Sheldon showcase has managed to do just that for a game or two out of their 9-game schedule, so unless I'm mistaken on that, the idea is not unprecedented.

Of course, filling the stands isn't the only issue to consider when setting this event up... Teams from SoCal probably don't want to play late, etc.

Reactions: observer22
Ridiculous that DLS didn't even pay the money to get good referees for these games. This was the worst officiating I've ever seen at a showcase event. Took all the fun away from what was supposed to be great games with good competition.
I don’t think DLS has anything to do with assigning of the referees. From what I have seen the last few years the pool of refs that get assigned the better games in the Bay Area looks like an AARP meeting. If you go thr better events in LA the officiating is on a completely different level.

Reactions: M.C. fan
Yes, it was quite crowded for the afternoon games.

I heard a comment that maybe DLS should try to schedule at least of some of the morning games between teams whose fan base is closer, even if the competition level isn't quite as high. maybe even a league game between, say, Las Lomas and Northgate for example.

I think that, some years, the Sheldon showcase has managed to do just that for a game or two out of their 9-game schedule, so unless I'm mistaken on that, the idea is not unprecedented.

Of course, filling the stands isn't the only issue to consider when setting this event up... Teams from SoCal probably don't want to play late, etc.
Kidd man you have been around the game way more than I the last several seasons. Have you heard of any reason why they don’t do it St Mary’s anymore. It was always a great place to play or watch a day of games

Very inconsistent officiating in this game
Clearly this 3 man crew have not worked together as they are stepping all over each other calls.
Very inconsistent. 24-12 foul count for the game in favor of SJSM and a huge travel call with about a minute and a half to go in the 4th.

Terrible foul call on st Joseph to put Branson at the line a total bail out foul call
With the game in balance you don't make that call luckily for st Joseph free throws were missed by Branson.C
Can't say that's a terrible call when the foul count was 24-12 in favor of SJSM. Also can't say that when they missed a huge travel right in front of the official with a minute to go in the 4th. Touch fouls called for SJSM and Branson had to play through them

Last edited:
The Salesian kids may not run as fast or jump as high, but they know how to play basketball. That means they play both ends of the floor. Give the kids some credit too. Coaches rely on players who buy into the concepts and principles that the coaches are teaching. Bill Mellis is the best coach in the bay area, and he's fortunate to have high IQ players who flat out know how to play the game of basketball the right way.
Why do you think I bring them back every year ;)

Here's wishing you great hoops

I don’t think DLS has anything to do with assigning of the referees. From what I have seen the last few years the pool of refs that get assigned the better games in the Bay Area looks like an AARP meeting. If you go thr better events in LA the officiating is on a completely different level.

I will say this. For Gridley, we get the best refs available. We even go out of District. All college certified. I am not sure if DLS has the same option though.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Reactions: M.C. fan
Ridiculous that DLS didn't even pay the money to get good referees for these games. This was the worst officiating I've ever seen at a showcase event. Took all the fun away from what was supposed to be great games with good competition.
I didn't think the officiating was that bad. It was consistent for the most part. The call at the end of regulation in the O'Dowd-Capital Christian game was suspect, I'll admit.

Reactions: observer22
Facts

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT