ADVERTISEMENT

Modesto Chr. Holiday Classic, Day 1

Robeson scores on a drive from the wing…. 45-31.

Long 3 goes for Turlock…. 45-34.

O’Reilly scores on a runout…. 47-34.

Naffziger nails a 3! 50-34, Cougs have gotten ‘er going again.

Naffziger with another 3!

Turlock hits one of their own…. 53-37.

Cox scores off a nice pass…. 53-39. Shot clock is off…. Naffziger is fouled, 2 shots. FT’s both go, long Turlock buzzer try…. Doesn’t. 55-39 Cougs heading into the final stanza.

Turlock gets the first bucket of the 4th…. 55-41.

And the 2nd, Cox off a hi-low play… and he’s fouled. FT no good, but it bounces off a Cougar. Turlock unable to score off that, tho…

Robeson fouled driving down the edge of the lane, 2 shots…. Both go. 57-43.

Turlock down the baseline for a pair, but O’Reilly nails a corner 3…. 60-45.

Mansour with a wide-open baseline drive and score…. 62-45. 5:11 left.

Turlock hits a 3…. 62-48.

Turlock with a runner…. 62-50.

3:15 left…

Cougs grab a rebound, call time out…. 2:50 left.

O’Reilly, nice pass to Naffziger for a layup…. Steal, Cougs using clock… Pass inside garners another score. 66-50, 47 seconds left…. Cougs salting this one away.

Cox scores, Turlock steal, score, foul…. FT good. 66-55, can’t say Turlock has backed down…. But the Cougs play a little keepaway to finish it off, 66-55.

Next up, Weston Ranch vs. Bullard…

Weston Ranch is 0-6, but their last two losses have been overtime battles vs. solid teams, and the previous were to top-12 teams from Idaho and Utah.

observer, thanks…. in my condition, that took a bit of effort. Going to go back to the occasional post after rooting my Cougs home. :)

Looks like I guessed correctly that Weston Ranch was a good bit better than then that 0-6 record looks…

Bullard calls time after falling behind 48-40…. 5:06 left 3rd.

Last edited:
Next up, Vanden vs. Pleasant Valley…

Player to watch, #2 Tyler Thompson of Vanden, a 6’6” jumping jack… and a junior.

I seriously doubt Pleasant Valley has seen an opponent with the kind of athleticism Vanden’s got.. But ya never know…

Hmm…. I don’t see Thompson out there.

Trying to get a look at the Vanden bench, kinda hard to determine who the guys are.

18-15 Pleasant Valley after 1 Q. Thompson or no Thompso, these country dudes from Chico can PLAY!

29-24 PV with 2:09 left in the half…

Now 29-26 after Vanden scores, is fouled…. #4 at the line, FT good, 29-27.

#2 for PV with a nice step-through move for 2…. 31-27.

Foul, Vanden #4 at the line for 1 and 1, sinks both. 31-29.

Terrific pass after an offensive board, PV scores.. 33-29. And that’s the half. Gotta get on MaxPreps and peruse the rosters…. (not that’ I’ll remember anything on the fly, but, yeah…)

#22 on PV is Luke Kremer…. I remember his brother from a few years back, similar sneaky-good player, great hands, smart, quicker than he looks…. He’s putting up 17 a game so far this year along with 8 rebounds and 3 assists per game.

Reactions: observer22
Vanden had a good run to start the 3rd, taking the lead quickly…. Since then, it’s been back and forth…. currently 44-41 Vanden, 2:40 left in the 3rd.

Vanden had a good run to start the 3rd, taking the lead quickly…. Since then, it’s been back and forth…. currently 44-41 Vanden, 2:40 left in the 3rd.
PV is down this year and they are still good. Very nice program.

49-45 Vanden now…. I see they are faceguarding Kremer everywhere he goes now, it’s harder for him to cut and get open now.

But he did it again anyway…. Kremer with the score off a cut, great pass to him, fouled…. FT good. 53-48 Vanden.

btw, I think I’ve spotted Tyler Thompson now, in streets near the end of the bench…. I wonder how long he’s out?

60-56 now…. Any defensive mistake, Kremer’s gonna see it…. nice pass from him for an easy layup.

PV closed it to 60-58, had a chance to tie, but nope... Vanden rebounds a miss and pours in a 3. 63-58, 2:11 left.

Vanden gets a stop, gets to forecourt and calls time, still 63-59.

PV is gonna hafta pull a rabbit out of a hat now…. 50 seconds left.

Vanden travel…. 27 seconds.

3-ball bounces out…. guess-who with a rebound, but a putback try misses… Vanden gets it downcourt…. 63-59 final.

Next up, host Modesto Christian vs. Downey….

Downey is 11-2, but hasn’t exactly played a death-march of a schedule…

Looks like MC is still short-handed, based on a glance at their layup line.

Downey’s Lloyd French, 6’3” senior, is putting up 25.8 points a game.

C’mon, MC… that overlong video intro, longwinded lineup announcement…. took forever.

Refs should assess a T for delay of game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT