ADVERTISEMENT

Most dominant prep players you've ever seen/played against?

SPortela24

Sports Fanatic
Aug 8, 2009
As the playoffs begin, im making plans of going out to Antioch and watching Najee Harris. I think he is by far the most special talent to come out of the bay in a long time. Got me wondering whos the most dominant player youve ever seen at the prep level.

Saw in person
: Ben Burr-Kirven. He was in The PAL during my time coaching within the league. What an animal. Hell of an athlete, smart player and extremely tenacious. I cant tell you how many times i chewed a kid out on the sideline: fumble, getting hawked from behind, missing a block only for them to respond with a deer and headlights look and say "Coach, Sunshine just came out of nowhere!"

Marcus Peters. Dominating in The OAL isnt exactly hard. I'll never forget the day McClymonds and Marcus Peters legitimized themselves in my eyes. I played against that McClymonds team with "The Big 3" (NaDerris Ward, Derrick Hill, Joshua Tatum). But as good as that team was and those guys were, none ever had a game while facing a challenge like Peters did the day McClymonds went to Pittsburg and upset the Pirates with only 19 guys in pads. And Peters was a man amongst boys that day. Been a fan of the kid ever since.

Saw on TV: Vontaze Burfict. First time i ever saw Burfict play with in the CIF Division1 game vs. De La Salle before the inauguration of the open division. All i could remember thinking was that the guy was unreal. Not only did he have a nose for the ball, he finished with authority. He was only a junior and i followed him closely the next year and he did not disappoint. He put on tackling clinics throughout the state his senior year.

Maurice Drew. Probably the first high school game i ever saw. Biggest memory i have of that game is Darnell Bing walking around with a "DREW WHO?" Tail pad and getting straight trucked by Drew on a 4th and short. I was in middle school around that time and was a fan of the guy from that point going forward. One of the most complete players i've ever seen.

Played with or Against: Jahvid Best. I tackled some really good backs in my time playing. Amongst them was Tyreece Jacks (Woodside), Matagni Tonga (Aragon) and Willie Griffin (McClymonds)...but none were as frustrating to tackle as Jahvid "The Jet" Best. You couldnt get a good enough angle on that guy to hit him and when you did his legs were strong enough to drive him another few yards. Really sad how his career panned out in the NFL. He would have been great.

Frank Summers. Behind every great player there is one in his shadow who was as good or better. Despite being the #2 back in the country and someone consistently said is better than Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch was not the hardest tackle in The OAL. That honor belonged to Frank "The Tank" Summers of John Beam's then powerhouse, Skyline Titans. Never played with or against Marshawn by Frank was at Laney College my freshman year and my fondest memory of him is seeing him knock out linebacker after linebacker during 2 a days. Ive seen prep highlights of both and as great as Marshawn is, I'd much rather try to tackle him than Frank Summers.

Got the pleasure of watching the Willhite brothers at Cordova back in the late 70;s and early 80's. They were the first truly dominant players I ever saw and maybe that biases my opinion but I believe they could compare with any player I have seen since.

I'd like to cast a vote for Khalil McKenzie. When he was able to be on the field, it looked like a man against boys.

Reactions: herwoo12
Played against: Aaron Garcia (Grant Union) and Tedy Bruschi (Roseville).

Saw in person: Onterrio Smith (Grant Union), Lance Briggs (Elk Grove), and Troy Taylor (Cordova).

I'd like to cast a vote for Khalil McKenzie. When he was able to be on the field, it looked like a man against boys.

I can say the same for Matt Summers Gavin (SI '06 - Cal '12). Matt was on that SI team that finally grabbed a WCAL title (last one was back in the late '60s).

Geez, been alot since I started watching High School football in the 80's, but first ones to come to mind:

On Tv: Maurice Jones Drew (DLS) against LBP 2001. DLS could have easily lost that game if not for him.

In Person: Louis Bland (Central Catholic.) Watched him in person a few times since my kids school was in the same league and they even played them in the section final his senior year, phenomenal strong runner and has breakaway speed. Last time I watched him play was on TV in the DIII state bowl game against St. Bonaventure who was a top 50 national team that year. He is a prime example of how the state bowl games can actually help athletes. Bland's senior year he was heavily recruited for wrestling, being a 3 time state champ and his football seemed to take a backseat despite how good he was as a RB. Than comes the state bowl game and Bland rushed for almost 200 yards in that game and the most memorable play was when Bland leveled the 5 star recruit in open feild and continued to run for a TD after running over the St. Bonaventure player. Needless to say after that game he suddenly was heavily recruited for football and ended up taking a D1 scholarship at Washington State.

Many more athletes I have seen worth mentioning, but these were the first ones that popped into my head as standouts.

going back 30 plus years ago I Watched-Mike Carnell MSJ dominate in the late 70's and played against-Jack Del Rio Hayward High

Recent memory has me giving the nod to DJ Williams at DLS

Reactions: remc and Bubba3000
I'm pretty sure John Elway was playing in the South Bay in the late seventies when I was playing.

I'm pretty sure John Elway was playing in the South Bay in the late seventies when I was playing.

Think Elway played most of his HS in SoCAl but your years were a bridge between Gary Radnich @ Del Mar and Jim Harbaugh @ Palo Alto in the South Bay....

I always enjoy these conversations.

The most dominant player I've seen in the last decade was Shaq Thompson (Grant). He was one of hte most physically gifted players as a sophomore and only got better. Najee Harris (Antioch) will likely be neck and neck with him by the end of next year.

Top linemen up here are Khalil McKenzie, Eddie Vanderdoes and Jonah Williams. All were physically dominant and played with good motors. Guys who liked to dominate.

Top quarterbacks are Jake Browning (Folsom) and Willie Tuitama (St. Mary's-Stockton).

From watching all of the state bowls, the best player I saw from Southern California was Robert Woods (Serra-Gardena). Effortless athlete who made tough plays look routine.

Greg Bracelin- De Anza HS, Cal, Denver. RB, Mike- dominated the old ACCAL in 1975...yeah had to go that far back. The Dons are back in the playoffs, first time since '05.

Played with- Amazing RB Allan Amundson for Marin Catholic he was just a beast with the ball unstoppable and he really nice career at Oregon from 99-03. I also played with Travis Laboy who was freak of a specimen and he had a nice 8 year NFL career.

Played against- Lamont Thompson El Cerrito, Antoine Lacey El Cerrito,Jamar Sheppard SHC, Frank Strong St Marys Stockton, Tosh Burrus Montgomery and OJ Marchbanks Montgomery

Tyrese Knox, Jefferson HS mid 80's

I played at Jefferson and coach at Jefferson now. Knox is a legend or at least he was to us and i first stepped foot on campus in 2001. One of our coaches played with Knox at Serramonte High for a year and says Knox was so fast and had such a strong lower body that he ripped out of his chuck taylors one day running sprints in the hallway.

People dont talk about Jeff like they used to and we're really trying to bring it back (7-2 this year with those two loses being by a combined 6 points).

John Mixon, Joe Mixon's father is also a legend at the school.

The Tagaloas legendary around here as well.

Crazy what gentrification does. Mixon and Boss Tagaloa could easily have been at Jeff.

Theres also a guy i coached with by the name of Nick Cheanult who lit up the the PAL before i played. I never quite understood how great Nick was until i saw his highlight reel. Man amongst boys. Guy was a top 100 player in America and was going to pick from USC and Cal until a teacher failed him in English (and she brags about being the one who failed him to this day) and those schools pulled their offers. Ended up at Portland State.

Reactions: concrete17
Good knowledge and great company........must've been the waters

My brother played football at Branham and knew Radnich well. He said any evening the gym was open you could count on Gary being there until it closed. Radnich was a shooting machine and if he played defense like he shot, he would likely have played in the NBA. My brother told me a story about Radnich hitting 30 or 40 free throws in a row and he had such great touch, the basketball game at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk banned him from playing. Too many stuffed animals earned by Radnich. Even more amazing is Radnich has a birth defect and only three fingers on one hand. You never see it on camera because he holds the microphone with his good hand.

Troy Dooley , Serra HS CCS CHAMPS, CSM , UCLA, northern Iowa

Saw all these players live or on TV in HS... Fun to think about some great names from the past

Best Player: DJ Williams - DLS... HM: Najee Harris - Antioch
Best QB: Jake Browning - Folsom... HM: Ken Dorsey - Miramonte
Best RB: Onterrio Smith - Grant... HM: Ken Simonton - Pitt
Best WR: Deontay Greenberry - Washington Union... HM: Bryce McGovern - Monte Vista
Best OL: Derek Landri - DLS... HM: Scott Peters - Amador Valley
Best DL: Omar Nazel - Skyline... HM: Lorenzo Alexander - St. Mary's-B
Best LB: Cameron Smith - Granite Bay... HM: Kevin Simon - DLS
Best DB: Delta O'Neal - Milpitas... HM: John Boyett - Napa

Greg Bracelin- De Anza HS, Cal, Denver. RB, Mike- dominated the old ACCAL in 1975...yeah had to go that far back. The Dons are back in the playoffs, first time since '05.
Wow I remember that guy as a young kid growing up around the corner from Kennedy High.May not seem like it now, but Kennedy-Richmond was a very powerful football school in the 70s and 80s

Saw all these players live or on TV in HS... Fun to think about some great names from the past

Best WR: Deontay Greenberry - Washington Union... HM: Bryce McGovern - Monte Vista
Nice list,and yes I would have DJ Williams at the top as well.Matt Grootegood of Matter Dei would be up there as well
QUOTE="SPortela24, post: 66272, member: 942"]As the playoffs begin, im making plans of going out to Antioch and watching Najee Harris. I think he is by far the most special talent to come out of the bay in a long time. Got me wondering whos the most dominant player youve ever seen at the prep level.

Saw in person
: Ben Burr-Kirven. He was in The PAL during my time coaching within the league. What an animal. Hell of an athlete, smart player and extremely tenacious. I cant tell you how many times i chewed a kid out on the sideline: fumble, getting hawked from behind, missing a block only for them to respond with a deer and headlights look and say "Coach, Sunshine just came out of nowhere!"

Marcus Peters. Dominating in The OAL isnt exactly hard. I'll never forget the day McClymonds and Marcus Peters legitimized themselves in my eyes. I played against that McClymonds team with "The Big 3" (NaDerris Ward, Derrick Hill, Joshua Tatum). But as good as that team was and those guys were, none ever had a game while facing a challenge like Peters did the day McClymonds went to Pittsburg and upset the Pirates with only 19 guys in pads. And Peters was a man amongst boys that day. Been a fan of the kid ever since.

Saw on TV: Vontaze Burfict. First time i ever saw Burfict play with in the CIF Division1 game vs. De La Salle before the inauguration of the open division. All i could remember thinking was that the guy was unreal. Not only did he have a nose for the ball, he finished with authority. He was only a junior and i followed him closely the next year and he did not disappoint. He put on tackling clinics throughout the state his senior year.

Maurice Drew. Probably the first high school game i ever saw. Biggest memory i have of that game is Darnell Bing walking around with a "DREW WHO?" Tail pad and getting straight trucked by Drew on a 4th and short. I was in middle school around that time and was a fan of the guy from that point going forward. One of the most complete players i've ever seen.

Played with or Against: Jahvid Best. I tackled some really good backs in my time playing. Amongst them was Tyreece Jacks (Woodside), Matagni Tonga (Aragon) and Willie Griffin (McClymonds)...but none were as frustrating to tackle as Jahvid "The Jet" Best. You couldnt get a good enough angle on that guy to hit him and when you did his legs were strong enough to drive him another few yards. Really sad how his career panned out in the NFL. He would have been great.

Frank Summers. Behind every great player there is one in his shadow who was as good or better. Despite being the #2 back in the country and someone consistently said is better than Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch was not the hardest tackle in The OAL. That honor belonged to Frank "The Tank" Summers of John Beam's then powerhouse, Skyline Titans. Never played with or against Marshawn by Frank was at Laney College my freshman year and my fondest memory of him is seeing him knock out linebacker after linebacker during 2 a days. Ive seen prep highlights of both and as great as Marshawn is, I'd much rather try to tackle him than Frank Summers.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: slick58
Watched him at DLS. I was never that impressed.

The reason I mention him is because he's a freak of nature physically. He was able to carry 340 pounds on a 6'3" frame and be athletic. That's extremely rare for a 17 year old. I prefer high school linemen to be under 300 pounds because very few can weigh more than 300 and not be a clod.

I'm not familiar with Landri but damn, 4.87 forty for a guy 6'3" 280?!

https://rivals.yahoo.com/norcalpreps/football/recruiting/player-Derek-Landri-2547

Last edited:
Played with Robert Dotson. Best I've seen. Absolute animal. Freak of nature. Power, size, vision and unteachable speed. Grant High 89-93.

Mario Henderson and Anthony "Tone" Hernandez. I'm a bit biased because they are my brother and cousin, but they were the best I've seen. Life's a B, but if things were different you would have seen both of them in the league.

Jeremiah Pharms. Next to rels Dj Williams, the most dominant LB I watched play.

Most dominant WR/TE Austin Collie out of Oakridge. That boy could play.

Sooo many to list. Tried to stay away from Grant as much as possible haaa. I've seen scores of players from all over who were just outstanding.

Tyrese Knox, Jefferson HS mid 80's
Tyrese was 1982 All-Mercury News as a RB. Went to Nebraska. But in the same year, Eric Hawkins from Wilcox was also named All Mercury News as a RB. He also went to Nebraska. Man amongst boys they say. But Eric didn't play because he tore up his knee in his senior year. I believe Tom Osborne still honored his scholarship. Would've been cool to see Tyrese and Eric in the backfield at Nebraska.

Reactions: raining
Remc- Robert "Spider" Gaines was that national time hurdler who played WR from the 'mond. Who was that other hurdler- he may have been world class-, either Oiler or Eagle that did the same?

I always enjoy these conversations.

The most dominant player I've seen in the last decade was Shaq Thompson (Grant). He was one of hte most physically gifted players as a sophomore and only got better. Najee Harris (Antioch) will likely be neck and neck with him by the end of next year.

Top linemen up here are Khalil McKenzie, Eddie Vanderdoes and Jonah Williams. All were physically dominant and played with good motors. Guys who liked to dominate.

Top quarterbacks are Jake Browning (Folsom) and Willie Tuitama (St. Mary's-Stockton).

From watching all of the state bowls, the best player I saw from Southern California was Robert Woods (Serra-Gardena). Effortless athlete who made tough plays look routine.
Both Armstead kids were beast and top lineman in the SJS. Armond (Patriots) and Arik (49ers) Straight outta Pleasant Grove HS.

I've followed CCS guys mostly, so more of them than other locations. In no particular order:

George Ebertin (Bells): Still the best Defensive player I ever saw. Too bad injuries ruined his college career.
Blazin Hazen Choates (Seaside) QB who was next to impossible to catch and had gun for arm
Marty Mornhinweg (OG): Could make every throw
Tyreese Knox (Jefferson): Fast
Pat Tillman (Leland)::RIP
Junior Seau (Oceanside): Lucky enough to see him his Senior year in HS down in Oceanside. Phenomenal athlete.
Antwon Guidry (Leigh): Wow!
Usua Amanam (Bells): Was not big, but wow was he quick.
Jeff Schweiger (VC): Thought he was going to make it to pros
Charles Tharp (SF): Couldnt bring him down
Andre Carter (OG): So big, so fast.
Jim Wahler (Bells): How many DT run 110 Hurdles in HS?
Travis McHugh (Bells): Not even College talent, but from HS perspective this kid controlled the game.
Kevin Willhite: (Rancho Cordova): Didnt see his brother in HS, but Kevin had incredible speed.
DJ Williams (DLS): whole package
MMD (DLS): with his size, never thought he would have such a successful pro career
Shaq Thompson: Could play every position in HS and dominate

Reactions: raining
Played with: Vestee Jackson in HS (Chicago Bears) and (McLane Highlanders) 1981

Played against: (Edison Tigers) Tim McDonald (49ers), Ickey Woods (Bengals) and (Bullard Knights) Kevin Sweeny (Cowboys) High School 1981

Best player played against in HS: Henry Ellard (Rams) and (Hoover Patriots) 1980

Best performances by a player and most entertaining: John Boyett (Napa Indians) This kid was stupid good. Just ask every coach in the SJS. 2006-2007.

Best RB seen from sideline in HS: Marshawn Lynch aka Beast Mode (O'Tech HS/"Ice City Oakland" aka Town bizness) 2000-2001.

Last edited:
The reason I mention him is because he's a freak of nature physically. He was able to carry 340 pounds on a 6'3" frame and be athletic. That's extremely rare for a 17 year old. I prefer high school linemen to be under 300 pounds because very few can weigh more than 300 and not be a clod.

I concur there. I expected more out of him when he came to DLS. I don't think he perform up to expectations or (his own) hype. He is gifted, but raw and undisciplined. It is a shame he (or his dad) let ego's get in the way of his development. He would have excelled at DLS had he bought into the program, instead he fell back a year..

Reactions: Bubba3000
going back 30 plus years ago I Watched-Mike Carnell MSJ dominate in the late 70's and played against-Jack Del Rio Hayward High

Recent memory has me giving the nod to DJ Williams at DLS
You Absolutely Nailed Three Of Those Guys, I saw Carnell run around, over, and through a good SRV team. Four years later I say Del Rio make 23 tackles against El Cerrito and the next guy on Defense that did it for me was DJ Williams. Have to throw in Armani Toomer who did some amazing things. The fastest guy I ever saw was Jahvid Best and it's not close.

Finally, Jack Del Rio might be the best athlete to ever come out of the Bay Area. He was a prep all-American in football and baseball and all state in basketball.

Reactions: observer22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT