ADVERTISEMENT

Most dominant prep players you've ever seen/played against?

Greg Bracelin- De Anza HS, Cal, Denver. RB, Mike- dominated the old ACCAL in 1975...yeah had to go that far back. The Dons are back in the playoffs, first time since '05.
1315- I saw Greg Bracelin cold cock a SRV basketball player because he though the kid was over-aggressive. Bad SOB.

Basketball-Leon Powe and Tyson Chandler. Girl:Mia Fischer

Baseball: Troy Tulowitski, Dontrelle Willis, Brad Bergeson.
I like the baseball picks as they all played for my summer program. Troy was a little bit of a late bloomer. Obviously very special now.

You Absolutely Nailed Three Of Those Guys, I saw Carnell run around, over, and through a good SRV team. Four years later I say Del Rio make 23 tackles against El Cerrito and the next guy on Defense that did it for me was DJ Williams. Have to throw in Armani Toomer who did some amazing things. The fastest guy I ever saw was Jahvid Best and it's not close.

Finally, Jack Del Rio might be the best athlete to ever come out of the Bay Area. He was a prep all-American in football and baseball and all state in basketball.

Great call NCSF. Del Rio was completely dominant in 3 sports. A beast in Football that could have gone anywhere and started all 4 years at LB at USC, and then 10+ years in the pros. Great baseball player who started at catcher at USC playing with Randy Johnson and McGwire and was drafted out of HS and could have played pro baseball. Great basketball player too who had offers to play in college, but was just too good at football and baseball to pursue that sport in college too.

His teams at Hayward HS won league championships 7 seasons in a row, starting with baseball his sophomore year, and sweeping football, basketball and baseball in both his junior and senior years. As great of an athlete as he was, as you can tell by his interviews now as the Raiders HC, he is also very smart and could beat you with his brains if he wasn't knocking the snot out of you.

Reactions: remc
Eddie House, Hayward High. Could score in bunches and remember he put up over 60 when he had his homecoming against Cal. I hear his son is a freshman that plays with another freshman who is Mike Bibby's son at Shadow Mountain high in AZ who just beat Mitty by 25 this past week!

Great call NCSF. Del Rio was completely dominant in 3 sports. A beast in Football that could have gone anywhere and started all 4 years at LB at USC, and then 10+ years in the pros. Great baseball player who started at catcher at USC playing with Randy Johnson and McGwire and was drafted out of HS and could have played pro baseball. Great basketball player too who had offers to play in college, but was just too good at football and baseball to pursue that sport in college too.

His teams at Hayward HS won league championships 7 seasons in a row, starting with baseball his sophomore year, and sweeping football, basketball and baseball in both his junior and senior years. As great of an athlete as he was, as you can tell by his interviews now as the Raiders HC, he is also very smart and could beat you with his brains if he wasn't knocking the snot out of you.

Still think Rickey was better:

In 1976, Henderson graduated from Oakland Technical High School, where he played baseball, basketball and football, and was an All-Americanrunning back with a pair of 1,000-yard rushing seasons. He also ran track, but did not stay with the team as the schedule conflicted with baseball.

Del Rio was a stud though.

[13]

Last edited:
The other Richmond hurdler was dedy cooper who went to sjs on a track scholarship. Didn't Toretta from Pinole valley win the Heisman, he was pretty good.

The other Richmond hurdler was dedy cooper who went to sjs on a track scholarship. Didn't Toretta from Pinole valley win the Heisman, he was pretty good.

As good as Torretta was in college, I don't think he was that dominant in HS. Not that he wasn't a stud in HS, but not on the same level as a lot of the players mentioned above. If I recall, he went to DVC out of HS, then on to Miami. Now, there just aren't that many guys running around that have won Heismans, so yeah he was pretty good. His older brother played football and baseball at St. Mary's and his other brother played football at UC Davis. A very talented family.

Gino Toretta accepted a scholarship out of high school and was spent two years as a starter. In high school he played for one of the few teams that could compete well with dls. Great arm and complete player as a qb.

Hoops: gene ransome, Rupert jones, Berkeley high
Wolfe perry, Oakland tech
Guy Williams Willard and Martin govain
Donnie martin and Steven Moore and I'm just getting warmed up on Oakland hoops lol all these guys could play Clifford Robinson

1315- I saw Greg Bracelin cold cock a SRV basketball player because he though the kid was over-aggressive. Bad SOB.
SRV=lily white in those days. De Anza still had federally subsidized bussing. Nobody backed down from anybody and a good number of them ended up downtown at Gompers. Several guys in the hood had dads who were pretty good buddies with Sonny Barger.

Gerald ended up the best out of school. Which brother was it that had the severe knee injury and was the top RB in the country? Kevin or Phil?
Per Wiki, Kevin had a severe hamstring injury in track his senior year in track. Does not mention anything about a knee injury but it does not say what his injuries were his freshmen year at U of O so not sure.

Gino Toretta accepted a scholarship out of high school and was spent two years as a starter. In high school he played for one of the few teams that could compete well with dls. Great arm and complete player as a qb.

I stand corrected. I forgot about his older brother Geoff who did play QB at DVC and then was at Miami under Vinny T. 4 Torretta boys, all exceptional athletes. Pinole had some good teams back in the day with those guys, Dale Sveum and others.

Per Wiki, Kevin had a severe hamstring injury in track his senior year in track. Does not mention anything about a knee injury but it does not say what his injuries were his freshmen year at U of O so not sure.
I know one had a severe knee injury. Maybe Phil?

I stand corrected. I forgot about his older brother Geoff who did play QB at DVC and then was at Miami under Vinny T. 4 Torretta boys, all exceptional athletes. Pinole had some good teams back in the day with those guys, Dale Sveum and others.
Dale Sveum has to go down as an all time great

Last edited:
Hoops: gene ransome, Rupert jones, Berkeley high
Wolfe perry, Oakland tech
Guy Williams Willard and Martin govain
Donnie martin and Steven Moore and I'm just getting warmed up on Oakland hoops lol all these guys could play Clifford Robinson
My favorite TOC team was the Fremont of Oakland 1977 team. They rolled everybody. They had a 6'3 guard named Ken Hardin who was an all league center the year before at St. Elizabeth (Dave Stewasrt's school) along with superstar 6'6 Phil Barner, and 6'8 Greg Howard. In the finals, Howard tipped it forward to Hardin who threw an alley oop pass to Barner who slammed it down. Took all of three seconds! Getting back to Stewart, he was drafted and started his career with the Dodgers as a catcher.

Played with: Deltha O'Neal; Milpitas. Dude was a man among boys. Made it look like he was playing against 5th graders. It was so obvious he was at a different level than anyone ele on the field. We had another NFL guy on the team too. Lenzie Jackson and he never got much "pub" because of Deltha but he was legit too.

Played against: The late Pat Tillman; Leland. If you ever saw him play, he was amazing. All over the field, intelligent and fast and could HIT. I know first hand how hard he could hit!

going way back we have Jackie Jensen (2 - sport athlete at CAL) and Joe Dimaggio, who along with Rickey have unbreakable records. Jensen was a pretty good football player.

going way back we have Jackie Jensen (2 - sport athlete at CAL) and Joe Dimaggio, who along with Rickey have unbreakable records. Jensen was a pretty good football player.
Jensen was also the Cal coach before Coach Milano. Had some challenges including fear of flying.

In 1981, Kevin Gogan at Sacred Heart when he was the biggest prep player in the country at the time. He just rolled over anybody in front of him.

In 1994, Tom Brady at Serra when Sacred Heart Cathedral stunned them 20-13. Jamar Sheppard single-handedly won that game with a rushing TD, a 98-yard INT for a touchdown and a game-saving pass deflection at the end of the game. Go Irish indeed.

In 1981, Kevin Gogan at Sacred Heart when he was the biggest prep player in the country at the time. He just rolled over anybody in front of him.

In 1994, Tom Brady at Serra when Sacred Heart Cathedral stunned them 20-13. Jamar Sheppard single-handedly won that game with a rushing TD, a 98-yard INT for a touchdown and a game-saving pass deflection at the end of the game. Go Irish indeed.
Funny that you bring up Kevin Gogan, His brother Liam is a fishing guide up in Humbolt and a hell of a guide...

From the sac- whack: roscoe and Clifton poindexter, Lawrence heald, Rick Paulson, William Cartwright

South Bay: Kurt rambis, Brian macnamara
North bay: Eddie joe Chavez, Charles Johnson

From the sac- whack: roscoe and Clifton poindexter, Lawrence heald, Rick Paulson, William Cartwright

I did see Bill Cartwright when Elk Grove played a preliminary at USF. Good as advertised.

Correction- Mark McNamara

Kevin Smith Mills high. CCS all time leading scorer averaged 20 a game as a freshman in the mid 90's. Guy could shoot handle the rock and had major bounce.

Also can't forget about Shon Lewis Wilcox football. Hands down fastest player I have seen in highschool till this day, and Jack Bellany from Oak Grove was an exciting play maker for Oak Grove. This was in 1992

That is a mistake that is unforgivable. I must be losing my mojo or texting too late at night. Thank you, in all seriousness, because people should know about these guys.

Best 4 players I ever saw on the floor at the same time was the 1986 Crusader Classic Final - Riordan ( w/ 6-4 Terrence Mullins and 6-9 Chris Munk) vs. Skyline (6-3 Gary Payton and 6-11 Greg Foster). Both teams were deep and the Tournsment also had a very good Drake team led by 6-7 Mike Hayward, the son of legendary coach Pete Hayward. Those players would have made a very good D1 starting 5. Unfortunately, All 5 played outside the Bay Area for D1 Majors: Munk-USC, Mullins-Oklahoma (played in NCAA Final 4/Title game as frosh); Gary Payton-Oregon St., Foster-UCLA/New Mexico and Hayward-Washington .

Last edited:
Also can't forget about Shon Lewis Wilcox football. Hands down fastest player I have seen in highschool till this day, and Jack Bellany from Oak Grove was an exciting play maker for Oak Grove. This was in 1992
You should have seen Jahvid Best ;)

Best 4 players I ever saw on the floor at the same time was the 1986 Crusader Classic Final - Riordan ( w/ 6-4 Terrence Mullins and 6-9 Chris Munk) vs. Skyline (6-3 Gary Payton and 6-11 Greg Foster). Both teams were deep and the Tournsment also had a very good Drake team led by 6-7 Mike Hayward, the son of legendary coach Pete Hayward. Those players would have made a very good D1 starting 5.
That had to be great!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT