ADVERTISEMENT

Most dominant prep players you've ever seen/played against?

I remember a pair of 3 sport athletes from the same schoool.

I may be dating myself a bit, but I remember watching Channing Williams and Ricky Jordan absolutely dominate football, basketball, and baseball for Grant in the early 80s. If I remember correctly, Williams was RB and Jordan a TE. Don’t ask me why I remember this, but have vague memory of Jordan and Williams choosing a class trip to Disneyland over Grant’s SJS championship baseball playoff game. Any old-timers have that memory?
Williams played in a Rose Bowl with Arizona State and maybe had a cup of coffee in the NFL or CFL, Jordan had a decent career in MLB with the Phillies.
Marc Hicks was playing for Davis about that time, and amongst top RBs in the nation (think he got a ride to Georgia)?
In regard to Marc Hicks I think he started at Cal and ended up at Ohio St

In regard to Marc Hicks I think he started at Cal and ended up at Ohio St
I believe you are correct. Was there a more recent Davis RB that was highly touted that may have gone to Georgia? My old age is showing. 🥸

Jhay Rholand, Stephon Jackson and Anthony Volsan of the 90's Merced Bears were quite the trio on one high school offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: pantera-cat
Albert Hollis from Christain Brothers went to UGA.

Great specimen, with unbelievable speed and size, looked like a man amongst boys for his age. Imo he was a better track runner than fb player and not a top rb/player from our section though.

Last edited:
Braxton Banks (RIH) Moreau High School c/o ‘86. All Everything RB who went to Norte Dame and had his career cut short due to a knee injury. Was teammates with Tim Brown on the Irish’s ‘88 national championship squad. Was huge (6’2” 220?) and fast. Reminded me of Eric Dickerson especially since he wore glasses during games. Had 350+ yards in one game his senior year. Transferred from Tennyson High School for his senior season for academic reasons. Replaced a very nice RB at Moreau—Mike Salido (BYU/BMX stud).

Reactions: THEOC89 and remc
Braxton Banks (RIH) Moreau High School c/o ‘86. All Everything RB who went to Norte Dame and had his career cut short due to a knee injury. Was teammates with Tim Brown on the Irish’s ‘88 national championship squad. Was huge (6’2” 220?) and fast. Reminded me of Eric Dickerson especially since he wore glasses during games. Had 350+ yards in one game his senior year. Transferred from Tennyson High School for his senior season for academic reasons. Replaced a very nice RB at Moreau—Mike Salido (BYU/BMX stud).
He passed away?

If we're talking dominant, I would have to add two ex teammates (Hiram Johnson) Kendall Riley FB rushed for or near 2k his Sr yr, (mvp) of the same league as Albert Hollis. Also Vince Mays, had one of the most dominant Sr years in Sacramento.

He passed away?
Unfortunately yes a few years ago Remc. I played against Braxston while I was at Salesian. I gave his Mother and family a recording of our ‘85 game against Moreau.

Unfortunately yes a few years ago Remc. I played against Braxston while I was at Salesian. I gave his Mother and family a recording of our ‘85 game against Moreau.

Sorry to hear that. I went to St Mary's but graduated before you by some years . I certainly had heard of him

Reactions: dlew66
Well my experience of actually seeing players is pretty limited, but I did get to see and coach one player whom has had a very up and down career since HS. Kiko Alonso of Los Gatos. Runner up NFL rookie defensive player of the year. Really a stud in HS.

Reactions: MC415
Was able go out to a game in Lompoc back in 1990 and saw Napoleon Kauffman. He was just on another level. Seen some good NFL guys playing high school ball but he stood out at the high school level more than any I have seen.

Reactions: RLS13
As the playoffs begin, im making plans of going out to Antioch and watching Najee Harris. I think he is by far the most special talent to come out of the bay in a long time. Got me wondering whos the most dominant player youve ever seen at the prep level.

Saw in person: Ben Burr-Kirven. He was in The PAL during my time coaching within the league. What an animal. Hell of an athlete, smart player and extremely tenacious. I cant tell you how many times i chewed a kid out on the sideline: fumble, getting hawked from behind, missing a block only for them to respond with a deer and headlights look and say "Coach, Sunshine just came out of nowhere!"

Marcus Peters. Dominating in The OAL isnt exactly hard. I'll never forget the day McClymonds and Marcus Peters legitimized themselves in my eyes. I played against that McClymonds team with "The Big 3" (NaDerris Ward, Derrick Hill, Joshua Tatum). But as good as that team was and those guys were, none ever had a game while facing a challenge like Peters did the day McClymonds went to Pittsburg and upset the Pirates with only 19 guys in pads. And Peters was a man amongst boys that day. Been a fan of the kid ever since.

Saw on TV: Vontaze Burfict. First time i ever saw Burfict play with in the CIF Division1 game vs. De La Salle before the inauguration of the open division. All i could remember thinking was that the guy was unreal. Not only did he have a nose for the ball, he finished with authority. He was only a junior and i followed him closely the next year and he did not disappoint. He put on tackling clinics throughout the state his senior year.

Maurice Drew. Probably the first high school game i ever saw. Biggest memory i have of that game is Darnell Bing walking around with a "DREW WHO?" Tail pad and getting straight trucked by Drew on a 4th and short. I was in middle school around that time and was a fan of the guy from that point going forward. One of the most complete players i've ever seen.

Played with or Against: Jahvid Best. I tackled some really good backs in my time playing. Amongst them was Tyreece Jacks (Woodside), Matagni Tonga (Aragon) and Willie Griffin (McClymonds)...but none were as frustrating to tackle as Jahvid "The Jet" Best. You couldnt get a good enough angle on that guy to hit him and when you did his legs were strong enough to drive him another few yards. Really sad how his career panned out in the NFL. He would have been great.

Frank Summers. Behind every great player there is one in his shadow who was as good or better. Despite being the #2 back in the country and someone consistently said is better than Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch was not the hardest tackle in The OAL. That honor belonged to Frank "The Tank" Summers of John Beam's then powerhouse, Skyline Titans. Never played with or against Marshawn by Frank was at Laney College my freshman year and my fondest memory of him is seeing him knock out linebacker after linebacker during 2 a days. Ive seen prep highlights of both and as great as Marshawn is, I'd much rather try to tackle him than Frank Summers.
Circa 1978. A guy named Ken McAllister. All everything in football, basketball, and baseball. 6'5",210 lbs .Oakland High. He ended up getting a basketball scholarship to Univ of San Francisco. Played all four years, then tried out and made the Kansas City Chiefs roster, Having played no college football, but that's how talented he was. Lost track of him after that

Circa 1978. A guy named Ken McAllister. All everything in football, basketball, and baseball. 6'5",210 lbs .Oakland High. He ended up getting a basketball scholarship to Univ of San Francisco. Played all four years, then tried out and made the Kansas City Chiefs roster, Having played no college football, but that's how talented he was. Lost track of him after that
Forgot to add that in those days USF Basketball was pretty much a perennial top 25 program nationally. No resemblance whatsoever with the current version of Dons basketball, no disrespect. There was another great athlete on that Oakland High team, a guy named Lloyd Moseby who had a nice MLB career

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT