ADVERTISEMENT

NBL...CASA GRANDE VS CARDINAL NEWMAN. 1/26

northbaybbguru

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
Monday night 1/26 7:30pm @ Cardinal Newman.

Just a week or so ago it looked like CN might be bullying their way to a fairly easy NBL championship.

NOW after an upset loss to a scrappy Windsor squad CN (5-1) finds themselves in a truly MUST WIN game

vs the NBL leading (6-0) Casa Grande gauchos.

The problems for CN....

1) Casa finally fully healthy and balling...especially their big man 6'6 Christie who looks like he should be playing Tight end
for the 49ers....and is a legit MVP candidate.

2) Could Newman's EXTREMELY soft preseason schedule be haunting them now? They built up that impressive 16-0 record
with the only 2 decent wins vs. SMB and Los Lomas.....and never left Sonoma county except to play a 3 win Justin Siena team in napa. So now as games get tougher did they prepare themselves good enough??

a loss vs Casa and CN's league championship aspirations are done. 2games behind after the 1st half? No way they make that up.

I would say Newman has 2 more good non league wins. I agree though that they usually don't play a strong non league schedule like Monty.

Marin Catholic- Always a good team. MC handed Nationally Ranked Bishop Montgomery there only loss of the season and is in 2nd place in MCAL behind a very good Drake team.

Washington SF. - They are 18-4 and although the City public league is down this year I would say they are still a very good HS team.

Also Fairfield has had some good athletic teams in the past and beating a D1 school is good on there resume. Fairfield lost a lot off a 25-8 team in 2013-14.

I like Newman in this one but I think it will be a barn burner. I could see a 55-50 type game. For them to win both Ryan and Botteri need to have big games besides Rubattino. Somebody else will need to step up. Maybe its wallace…

The big kid from Casa is legit. He will get his 20 and 10 but I don't think the supporting cast can propel them over the edge.

They could make it up if either the scrappy Windsor squad or Monty were to beat Casa along with CN winning the return match in the second half. I don't know what the tiebreaker is for this league, but a 2 game lead with 2 other good teams capable of an upset is not insurmountable. Not easy but doable.

Yeah, could be more like 40's. It will probably be a dog fight. I really thought it would be a 2 team race with Newman and Monty but with Monty's guard going down and a resurgence of Casa it at least looks like it will be a good race to the end.

Maybe the "after game meal" will be at the new Chick-fil-A?

Word on the street is most of Sonoma County was unaware it was a CHAIN RESTAURANT!! LOL
laugh.r191677.gif

30 years ago? And you STILL haven't left Sonoma County!? My point has been made...

Total and complete...loser
laugh.r191677.gif

I think that Christy maybe had mono or something like that last year..? The physical transformation is startling. Last year he looked like a tall Matt Duffy. Now he looks like Hunter Strickland.

Quaffer,
For once you are right...Sonoma County- "The same old crap!"

Couldn't have said it better myself...hater!
laugh.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 1/25 3:10 PM by G61

Troll, my apologies. I was going too fast for you. What I meant to say was that your repeating the same insults every time a SoCo game was discussed is just boring and dumb and a waste of everyone's time. As for this latest jibe, calling me a hater because I pointed out that you are a hater - well I'm sure that technique won many an argument for you when you were in the third grade, but now that you're a grownup you should be able to do better than "I know you are but what am I?"

I would totally lay you out on this but you would probably complain to the moderators and have my comment taken down because I "hated" on Sonoma County...

You are a joke...move!!!
laugh.r191677.gif

You know, you're right. I've always liked the foothill area and you've made me realize that it's time for a change. I was thinking more of Placerville or Nevada City, but if a real standup guy like you loves Folsom so much that must be the place. Please let me know of a time and place where we can meet so you can show me around. I'm really looking forward to that.

HAHAHA
laugh.r191677.gif

We will let Sonoma County keep you...You both deserve each other
wink.r191677.gif

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FANTASTIC FINISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I hadn't seen it myself ...I wouldn't believe it.

Bear with me.....Im going to try and get this correct.......................

54-48 casa...40 secs left in the game.....CN ball

Cn misses shot...CN backup BIGMAN OFF rebound and put back.....clock running....54-50

CN in full denial....casa inbounding....

Steal CN..out to Rubintino ...bangs the 3.....clock running still...54-53 casa

CN full denial......STEAL again...Wallace shots a 3 ...misses.. rebound Rubintino dribbles to the corner and does a turnaround 3.......

GOOD!! and 1 !!!!!!!! 3.8 secs left 56-54 CN now....

CN crowd goes frign crazy...kids on the court...CN administrators trying desperately to shoe them off....
the casa coach Forni comes unglued.....technical on Forni......

Rubintino goes to the line for 3 ft's (and 1 and the tech)......makes 2......BUT its CN ball because of the T.

CN inbounds to Wallace...he makes both FT after being fouled...

final.......60-54 CN

I think that's correct.......

needless to say... a darn good game to watch.....

This post was edited on 1/26 9:50 PM by northbaybbguru

This post was edited on 1/27 10:59 AM by northbaybbguru

Wow! One for the ages... Something magical about Fitzgerald gymnasium.
Sounds like CASA is legit. Always good to win close gsmes. Champ teams find ways and this is a good win.
Thanks for the updates. Big crowd for a Monday?

Decent crowd....maybe 3/4 full.....

Refereeing wasn't very good....2 big physical teams...refs overmatched...

both teams starting centers fouled out early to mid 4th...

I would estimate at least 5 of the 10 fouls called on both centers weren't close
to being fouls....phantom calls.

I just don't understand why the association doesn't put their best refs for the big games.

Guru-
Press reported another big game from Connor Rubattino. 29 pts. Who else stepped up? Was Casa big in foul trouble all night because he didn't hit in double digits? Newman needed a bit of a miracle to win. Who do you see as the better team? Sometimes when you watch in person its obvious. Thx for report.

Caught a bit of this game...First off, why is the CN gym so small?

Larry- "Magical" would not be the correct word. But, fun game to watch.

G61- Old Gym and student body of approx 900+ now that coed. So pretty small school considering. But in terms of HS gyms its not bad. I know some of these newer schools like Folsom, Deer Valley, Freedom, Dublin, etc have huge gyms but most of the gyms in NBL are about the same size. A real hoop purist likes me loves to play in an old gym. Montgomery HS has one of the best floors you will ever play on. Its like a trampoline. Like the old pauley pavilion at Stanford. These new gyms are built on concrete. Terrible floors. You talk about small have you ever been to ODOWD or SALESIAN?

Rubattino best player on the floor? Just curious what you think of him.

Thanks for posting. Wow.! 12 pts in 30 seconds. Not sure I've ever seen anything like that. Pretty much a melt down by CASA and some incredible baskets by Newman. A game like that can kill a team on the losing end. It will be interesting to see how Casa bounces back. Newman has a real tough test in Monty and there PG is back. They get by this game and they are in home stretch.

Rubatino looked good. He had a bad shooting night up until the end. Still one of the best HS finishes I have seen in a while. I was actually shocked that gym wasn't full, considering the small size. I understand it was a Monday night, but I remember going to games 10-15 years ago and seeing all of those gyms PACKED. I guess I am used to the Folsom games now and that gym is HUGE for high school. Plus, there student body is about twice the size of CN. Different demographic as well.

I am not a Newman fan, and will never be. But, I am a big Bonfigli fan. I wish he would coach forever.

Honestly, when Casa's bigs were in the game....I thought Casa was better. Foul trouble played a HUGE part in this game.
Will Crain was a beast when he was in...blocking shots, getting put backs and generally causing havoc when on the court.
I thought he was called for 3 phantom fouls....which obviously led to him fouling out with 2 mins left in the 4th. Which had a big part in Newman's miracle comeback. At least LAST night Crain was the better of the 2.....

I thought CN forced a bunch of contested shots....took bad shots and had little ball movement.
I thought Casa moved the ball well and played more as a team.

and other than the last minute of the game when Casa went into meltdown...I thought they were the better team.

At least for last night....

That was the one comment I had when I watched newman play before. I thought Rubatino forced the action a little. I think that comes with maturity. (shot selection). But the guy does make some shots that you wouldn't want other kids to take. They need to get more balance from Ryan, Botteri, and Wallace. All of those kids can score.

Bonfigli is a legend. Closing in on #700.

He is a legend. Imagine if he would have never left. Sonoma County politics suck.

Politics? What does Sonoma County politics have to do with it? The circumstances of Bonfigli's departure from Newman the first time around are well known, and have nothing to do with politics.

Oh god, here comes the "Sonoma County defender." Dude, go home, nobody likes you... So bitter
laugh.r191677.gif

Out of respect for Coach Bonfigli, I will not elaborate further on the past. I will only say that I think he is a great coach...

I know the Sonoma County job market is "lackluster" at best, but you need a job...maybe get out more often outside the bubble?
laugh.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 1/27 5:04 PM by G61

If anyone says ANYTHING remotely bad about Sonoma County, contrary to his beliefs, he freaks out...

What's with the obsession?
laugh.r191677.gif

Um.... who here likes you? I simply asked a question. Bonfigli's history is well-known. And you went nuclear. Again. With unprovoked personal insults, as always. I won't stoop to that level. However, next time you are in SoCo let me know. I would love to discuss your posts in person.

Ohhhhh a challenge!? I like that... I would love to
laugh.r191677.gif

Only probably is I don't come down there often. I don't like the bad vibes that come from you and many other "locals" to rub off on me...or my amazing community up here
laugh.r191677.gif

If you ever leave "your bubble" let me know. Good in-person discussions are usually more productive in more productive places
uzi.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 1/27 5:18 PM by G61

I'm not going to get into it too deep.....but I have known Tom for almost 50yrs and consider him and his family close friends.

His departure from Newman the 1st time around was justified....

that's all I am saying on the subject.

Agreed. My reference to "Sonoma County politics" was connected to the issue, although not the driving factor behind his departure. Apparently, "Quaffer" was offended, as usual... he is a legend in his own mind.
This post was edited on 1/27 5:34 PM by G61

Agreed guys. It was good for him to get away and reflect. He's better for it. Now back to hoops.... Monty going to upset newman this week? You never know..

I believe Elsie and Piner are now in the 700's now too, or close...

Crazy to think how those schools were D2 at one time with over 1,500 students. Major shift in demographics.

Interesting article in the PD today. Outlines some of the issues there that I believe are connected to the loss of many students/families in the area. Hard to support 500k housing prices and sky high rent with the tough job market there. Glad to see there is some good bball being played!

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/3440678-181/santa-rosa-seeks-way-to

Only 650? Wow... Not good. Back in the day we had 400 boys alone at Newman. Maybe with the resurgence of the CN brand for girls they will attract more students. I would think an ideal enrollment would be around 800. But then again Sonoma Academy and a couple other boutique schools weren't around when I was a student. They certainly have grabbed some students as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT