ADVERTISEMENT

NCS Brackets

Quaffer

Sports Fanatic
Jan 30, 2014
I think I'm the token NCS fan here so I thought I would post this:

http://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/...s-les-schwab-tires-baseball-championships.htm

In Division 1 Heritage at #15 seems odd. Yeah, Milam is gone but that's a really good team.

I kind of wish they had pushed Casa Grande up to Division 1 as the way they are going it's hard to see anyone else in that bracket giving them a game, much beating them, but then again, they did lose to Ukiah and in this darn one-and-done format really anyone can win it.

Miramonte looks like a lock in Division 3 but see paragraph directly above.

BTW Newman Coach TJ McMahon announced his retirement from baseball program today. Maybe they'll win it for him? Nah. Not enough pitching.

Reactions: BKWRDKUROUT
Casa is the best team in norcal right now. Nobody could beat them. I've watched some of the best teams in SJS last week over at Sac City. I will take the gauchos.

The TJ thing is too bad. Very nice guy. Alumni who did a lot of good things for the program. But I really think there is underlying stuff here. Newman is too good every year not to do better than .500. They struggled last year and this year they've been just ok. You can't have all the other sports hanging banners. Anybody know the "real" story?

I think Division I is as wide open as we've seen in awhile. Don't have a powerhouse team like De La Salle/College Park like recent years

Agree in Division 1.

Regarding Newman situation I am not going to post rumors on the web anonymously, but look for more shoes to drop.

Previously active here. Good to see Irvington in. Last time was when Mathias was there? It's been a long while since Cal High didn't even qualify, even with two D1 recruited Ps this year. Their undercoached 12-12 '12 squad (two D1 position players) squeaked in at #10. Beat 8, 2 & 3 before a 3-2 loss to a 10 week #1 Sparta at the Coliseum.

Newman will be a tough out in D3. Maybe coach gets a crown on way out?

3 NCL 1 teams hosting games in D4. That's extremely unusual. Not sure if it says more about the quality of D4 being low or just better baseball being played up in the hills...

3 NCL 1 teams hosting games in D4. That's extremely unusual. Not sure if it says more about the quality of D4 being low or just better baseball being played up in the hills...
We shall see. Curious to know the answer to that question. Interesting that Kelseyville, which had been ranked #1 all season in NCS D4, just got edged out by St Marys Berkeley, which had been #2 all season. Wonder why

We shall see. Curious to know the answer to that question. Interesting that Kelseyville, which had been ranked #1 all season in NCS D4, just got edged out by St Marys Berkeley, which had been #2 all season. Wonder why
Simple answer is Kelseyville has a great record, but their strength of schedule is -1.5 while SM has wins against D1, D2, D3 schools and down the line so had a higher rating at end of season. That's the good thing about having playoffs though. You'll get to see who can put it together at the end and throw all the previous numbers away.

Last edited:
Reactions: remc
Simple answer is Kelseyville has a great record, but their strength of schedule is -1.5 while SM has wins against D1, D2, D3 schools and down the line so had a higher rating at end of season. That's the good thing about having playoffs though. You'll get to see who can put it together at the end and throw all the previous numbers away.
Kelseyville definitely plays a weaker schedule and that's why this is an interesting bracket. They did sweep a double header with Arcata earlier this year and they mercy ruled Lick Wilmerding 10-0 yesterday as a first step towards a match up with St Mary's. Should be interesting to see how it plays out...

Lou does a great job up at Kville, but hard to argue SMB body of work and could have flipped them and either would have been fine.

Does anyone have a Swett-Middletown update? Would be very interesting rematch if Swett wins and they play SPSV again.

Agree in Division 1.

Regarding Newman situation I am not going to post rumors on the web anonymously, but look for more shoes to drop.

And a big shoe has dropped. YSN365 is reporting that long-time Maria Carrillo coach Derek DeBenedetti has been hired to run the Cardinal Newman baseball program. DeBenedetti is a Newman alum. He will also be teaching at Newman.

Huge hire for newman.... Debendetti is the real deal. Newman should be a top tier team every year with the talent they have. Cronin, Bonfigli, and Debendetti now for the big 3 sports is pretty dang good.

And a big shoe has dropped. YSN365 is reporting that long-time Maria Carrillo coach Derek DeBenedetti has been hired to run the Cardinal Newman baseball program. DeBenedetti is a Newman alum. He will also be teaching at Newman.

If true great hire for CN. YSN365 is fairly decent, so I say probably true.

Great hire for Cardinal Newman. I've enjoyed watching Carrillo play under Derek

It's a great hire for Newman for sure, but oddly enough it may work out pretty well for Carrillo as well. BTW there is probably at least one more coaching change coming in the North Bay this off- season, maybe two.

Now you have me intrigued. Any shareable info on what is next for Carrillo?

Not a name hire. The new coach is a young, enthusiastic former Carrillo player/alum who has labored in the trenches for the program for years as an assistant to DeBenedetti, and who has a strong connection with the players and an abiding passion for the game.

In other news... How the hell did Casa Grande lose to Arroyo? That has to be one of the big upsets of the season. Hats off to Arroyo. Those kids will cherish that one.

Yeah, that was a tough loss.Casa outhit Arroyo but didn't protect the ball when they had to. 3 E's on one kid! Heck of a season though. Eventually they'll remember all the wins, not that one game.

Ouch Quaffer. But I disagree with you on one thing. The last one will sting and those kids will remember that the rest of their lives. NCS Champs in Baseball is the end of the line. Its not a state champ but its as far as you go and certainly an NBL champ is nice but Casa was a top 3 norcal team IMO. I like the way the SJS does D1 playoffs in a double elimination format because over the course of a series I don't see Arroyo beating Casa. But I give them credit for taking advantage. Great program over there in Petaluma though.

Yeah that loss is going to sting for Casa. Bad day to pick your worst game, but Arroyo still had to capitalize so good they deserve credit. And great job by Drake. Ruin MM's shot at perfecto, awesome.

I think the MCAL is undervalued as sports league. IMO overall in all sports I put it as the top league in the Northbay over the years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT