ADVERTISEMENT

Nor-Cal Open Candidates 2-6-2023

M.C. fan

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Jun 1, 2022
League playoffs and then sectional playoffs will finalize C.I.F. Northern California Open selections. We still have a few teams lingering in the mix as the season ends and a few teams that go down to Divisional Playoffs do too upsets.
So many of the top teams can defeat each other on any night makes it for a healthy post season. Clearly this will be an 8-team Nor-Cal Open with so many elite programs vying to be Top Dog of Nor-Cal!!

Central Coast Section: Unless upsets I see two teams being selected.

Archbishop Riordan Crusaders 17-4, WCAL, MP#22
Archbishop Mitty Monarchs 17-4, WCAL, MP#16

Central Section: One will go Northern California and One will be in *Southern California Open.

Clovis West Golden Eagles 25-2, Tri-River, MP#15
*Saint Joseph Knights 21-6, 12-0 Mountain, MP# 63

North Coast Section: Loaded with top-tier teams that will likely have three maybe four Open selections.
+if they win NCS Open they will go to Nor-Cal Open

De La Salle Spartans 20-6, 7-2 EBAL, MP#21
Dougherty Valley Wildcats 23-3 EBAL, MP# 12
Salesian Pride 19-7, 10-0 Tri-County Rock, MP#49

+EBAL teams that may be included.
Dublin Gaels 18-8, 7-2EBAL, MP#51
San Ramon Valley Wolves 5-4 EBAL, MP#20

Sac-Joaquin Section: Same as NCS that 3, if not 4 teams selected for Nor-Cal Open

Folsom Bulldogs 23-2, 8-0 SFL, MP#8
Inderkum Tigers 23-2, 11-0 CVC, MP#18
Jesuit Marauders, 20-4, 9-0 Delta, MP# 42
Modesto Christian Crusaders 21-6, 11-0 TCAL, MP#44

Again those sections who have an Open may have a team win whose not mentioned. If their is an upset in any Open section, I feel the teams listed have a strong regular season resume to warrant an Open invitation.

League playoffs and then sectional playoffs will finalize C.I.F. Northern California Open selections. We still have a few teams lingering in the mix as the season ends and a few teams that go down to Divisional Playoffs do too upsets.
So many of the top teams can defeat each other on any night makes it for a healthy post season. Clearly this will be an 8-team Nor-Cal Open with so many elite programs vying to be Top Dog of Nor-Cal!!

Central Section: One will go Northern California and One will be in *Southern California Open.

North Coast Section: Loaded with top-tier teams that will likely have three maybe four Open selections.

Sac-Joaquin Section: Same as NCS that 3, if not 4 teams selected for Nor-Cal Open

Again those sections who have an Open may have a team win whose not mentioned. If their is an upset in any Open section, I feel the teams listed have a strong regular season resume to warrant an Open invitation.
2 from the ccs
1 from cs
3 for ncs
2 from sjs

That’s how it will end up imo.

Reactions: M.C. fan

What is the criteria for choosing Open Norcal teams? How much do Maxpreps rankings count?

“Criteria Considered for Divisional Placement and Hosting of Regional Games (not listed in any particular order)
a. Win-Loss Record (Preseason, League, Section Playoffs)
b. Strength of Schedule (Preseason, League, Section Playoffs)
c. Head to Head Competition
d. Common Opponents
e. Opponents Win-Loss Record
f. Various rankings may be consulted when placing teams (i.e. MaxPreps, ScoreBookLive, etc.)
g. Suitability to represent the State Championship with regards to Pursuing Victory with Honor and acceptable standards…”

This is from the CIF website.

So, according to that, MaxPreps and ScorebookLive rankings are a factor, but far from the whole enchilada.

CCS debuted a pool play format for the Open last season. I thought it worked out pretty well as it kept teams in the mix throughout pool play, thus eliminating the consolation round.

So the NCS has Dougherty Valley vs DLS in the Open finals. Most likely both of these teams will be placed into the NorCal Open regardless of who wins in the final on Friday.

It’s looking like MC and Jesuit will be selected in the SJS, as they will face off in the D1 finals.

The real questions come in the CCS where both Riordan and Mitty were upset in the CCS Open pool play. It is not clear whether either or both will be placed into the NorCal Open field. I’m not sure whether SI or SHC have the resumes necessary to be included in the NorCal Open, but whoever wins the CCS Open final will definitely be a candidate.

It’s also not clear how many teams they will take, or how many, if any, will be invited to the party from the Central Section.

Last edited:
So the NCS has Dougherty Valley vs DLS in the Open finals. Most likely both of these teams will be placed into the NorCal Open regardless of who wins in the final on Friday.

It’s looking like MC and Jesuit will be selected in the SJS, as they will face off in the D1 finals.

The real questions come in the CCS where both Riordan and Mitty were upset in the CCS Open pool play. It is not clear whether either or both will be placed into the NorCal Open field. I’m not sure whether SI or SHC have the resumes necessary to be included in the NorCal Open, but whoever wins the CCS Open final will definitely be a candidate.

It’s also not clear how many teams they will take, or how many, if any, will be invited to the party from the Central Section.

Observer here is who I got.
DLS
DV
MC
jesuit
Mitty (beat Jesuit and DLS and split with Riordan)

Bubble
Granada, Salesian, Inderkum ,Riordan

Based on this year I think you could make a strong argument for 3 teams in from NCS and 3 from SJS.

Not sure how they want to let it ride and if they want to give d1 a boost?

Reactions: observer22
With the CCS Open now being Serra and Sacred Heart Cathedral, does the winner go to the NorCal Open? Either way, NorCal Open and the D1 NorCal will be loaded.

My NorCal Open picks assuming 8 go:
  • Modesto Christian
  • Dougherty Valley
  • De la Salle
  • Salesian
  • Inderkum
  • Jesuit
  • Central Section D1 Winner St. Joseph/Clovis West
  • Winner of CCS Open SHC/Serra?
Bubble:
Folsom, Mitty, Granada

Last edited:
I think it is for sure 2 from the NCS (DV and DLS) and SJS (MC and Jesuit) and one from the Central Section D1.

I could see one more to get to six (give MC and Dougherty byes with those two being the top 2 teams since January up here), but picking that sixth one is going to be really hard.

Nobody is beating Modesto Christian in NorCal. D1 is going to be very entertaining
I see it the same way although I would watch the Lincoln film because they figured something out.

And with their current roster and chemistry I don’t think the gap is very big at all with SoCal.

I think Mitty will be in the Norcal Open along with the winner of the CCS Open. Mitty has some good wins in the preseason, Clovis North, Moreau, Jesuit and De la Salle. Riordan should be a low seed in D1

I see it the same way although I would watch the Lincoln film because they figured something out.

And with their current roster and chemistry I don’t think the gap is very big at all with SoCal.
Kodey Weary being added to the lineup is big for MC. Prince Osaya does an excellent job in the paint on both ends of the floor, but with Weary's help down low, they've addressed in my opinion a weakness they had all year, and that is depth in the post. Weary gives them another post defender, rebounder and scoring threat. He's also good at finding the open man on the perimeter. He's a nice heads up player. The scouting report has changed, because the dynamic has changed. Couldn't have come at a better time for MC.

League team for 3rd time and pretty sure MC was looking ahead to Inderkum. MC focused is not losing in NorCal.

Kodey Weary being added to the lineup is big for MC. Prince Osaya does an excellent job in the paint on both ends of the floor, but with Weary's help down low, they've addressed in my opinion a weakness they had all year, and that is depth in the post. Weary gives them another post defender, rebounder and scoring threat. He's also good at finding the open man on the perimeter. He's a nice heads up player. The scouting report has changed, because the dynamic has changed. Couldn't have come at a better time for MC.
Right about time we cashed a check!

I’ve been a fan of the program since the days of Midgley and Chuck hays. Probably my favorite team ever. Great kids and amazing players. I would love to see MC bring home the open.

I think Mitty will be in the Norcal Open along with the winner of the CCS Open. Mitty has some good wins in the preseason, Clovis North, Moreau, Jesuit and De la Salle. Riordan should be a low seed in D1
I see Riordan top half in D1. Wins vs Weston Ranch, Clovis North, SRV, Mitty should help though those non-league wins had Wilhite on the team. Crazier things have happened during Seedings ((I.e. Riordan @ DLS last year-CCS Open Champ vs NCS runner up)

I see Riordan top half in D1. Wins vs Weston Ranch, Clovis North, SRV, Mitty should help though those non-league wins had Wilhite on the team. Crazier things have happened during Seedings ((I.e. Riordan @ DLS last year-CCS Open Champ vs NCS runner up)
Crazy is Mitty AND Riordan didnt make it to the Open Final. Welp, get your losses out now because its win or go home now.

I think they only take 7.

1. MC (SJS Champ)
2. DV (NCS Champ)
3. CW (Central Champ)
4. Serra (CCS - Champ)
5. DLS- (NCS Runner Up)
6. Jesuit (SJS- Runner Up)
7. St. Joes (Central Runner up)

My Predictions.

IF they want to fill it with 8. Only ones make sense is Salesian or Inderkum.

They WONT take a team that lost in the semis Unless they were the Highest ranked next or above the teams that made it to the finals AND those teams go OPEN.

I think they only take 7.

1. MC (SJS Champ)
2. DV (NCS Champ)
3. CW (Central Champ)
4. Serra (CCS - Champ)
5. DLS- (NCS Runner Up)
6. Jesuit (SJS- Runner Up)
7. St. Joes (Central Runner up)

My Predictions.

IF they want to fill it with 8. Only ones make sense is Salesian or Inderkum.

They WONT take a team that lost in the semis Unless they were the Highest ranked next or above the teams that made it to the finals AND those teams go OPEN.
I forgot about Clovis and St joes. So you think Mitty gets snubbed? I don’t know about that . Solid resume.

I think Mitty, Salesian, Inderkum, Riordan, have cases but they lost in the semis to teams that won’t be in the open. Each section have to submit the order of their section champs/ ranks. Ex: 1. Serra 2. SHCP 3. Mitty 4. Riordan

3 can’t be open and 1&2 not be.

Reactions: HSfan82
I think Mitty, Salesian, Inderkum, Riordan, have cases but they lost in the semis to teams that won’t be in the open. Each section have to submit the order of their section champs/ ranks. Ex: 1. Serra 2. SHCP 3. Mitty 4. Riordan

D1 Just got a lot harder then. North has a shot of both open and d1 this year.

D1 Just got a lot harder then. North has a shot of both open and d1 this year.
Definitely a Great Year for Norcal!! But I think a few people mentioned that in the beginning of the year.

The biggest thing is who will get bumped down to D2.

WR as good as they are could be bumped to D2 Becuz they are one of the lowest ranked/seeds making it to NorCal’s. I could see them winning D2/D3 State championship

You don't think DLS will make open?

Nah if u read up I said that’s the only 2 that could be considered to go open if they wanted to do an 8 team.

I used that example for teams like Folsom , riordan, Mitty

Just because Serra and SHCP are playing in the ccs open shop doesn’t mean they will both get 1-2 ranks and go open . I could see ccs going with riordan and Mitty before either of those 2.
Mitty already beat Serra by 21 and SHCP by 37
Riordan is 2-0 vs Serra and 2-1 vs SHCP

2023 NorCal Open should select 8 teams that want to be the best.
CCS-1
Riordan or Mitty

CS-1
Clovis West. Saint Josephs of Santa Maria will go to the SoCal Open.

NCS-3
DLS, DV, Salesian

SJS-3
MC, Inderkum, Jesuit or Folsom

Definitely a Great Year for Norcal!! But I think a few people mentioned that in the beginning of the year.

The biggest thing is who will get bumped down to D2.

WR as good as they are could be bumped to D2 Becuz they are one of the lowest ranked/seeds making it to NorCal’s. I could see them winning D2/D3 State
A SJS D1 semi finalist Weston Ranch won’t be dropped to D2. That would be seeding then #25 at best

1. Modesto Christian
2. Dougherty Valley
3. Clovis West
4. Mitty
5. DLS
6. Salesian
Don’t think Jesuit regular season earns an Open bid and doubt they pull off the upset vs MC

I’ve been a fan of the program since the days of Midgley and Chuck hays. Probably my favorite team ever. Great kids and amazing players. I would love to see MC bring home the open.
If Jamari Phillips would have stayed I think MC would have been the favorites to bring home the Open title!

Does Folsom qualify for NorCal being the highest seed in the D1 SJS playoffs but losing prior to semi-finals?

Just because Serra and SHCP are playing in the ccs open shop doesn’t mean they will both get 1-2 ranks and go open . I could see ccs going with riordan and Mitty before either of those 2.
Mitty already beat Serra by 21 and SHCP by 37
Riordan is 2-0 vs Serra and 2-1 vs SHCP
Great. Mitty and Riordan can go play Modesto Christian and its community college team.

1. Modesto Christian
2. Dougherty Valley
3. Clovis West
4. Mitty
5. DLS
6. Salesian
Don’t think Jesuit regular season earns an Open bid and doubt they pull off the upset vs MC
Both NCS and SJS finalist will be a shoe in for open. All 4 teams are loaded and played in toughest sections.

DLS
DV
MC
Jesuit
No doubt all get in. Hard to even see how anybody can argue this.
Winner of Clovis west vs St Joesph in CC
Salesian or Mitty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT