ADVERTISEMENT

Nor-Cal Open Candidates 2-6-2023

Both NCS and SJS finalist will be a shoe in for open. All 4 teams are loaded and played in toughest sections.

DLS
DV
MC
Jesuit
No doubt all get in. Hard to even see how anybody can argue this.
Winner of Clovis west vs St Joesph in CC
Salesian or Mitty.
What’s your definition of “loaded”? DLS does not fit in loaded category. Blair is really good rest of team are solid hs players. Let’s see how Jesuit does Saturday. Does 7/8th team really want Open better chance to go to state at D1

What’s your definition of “loaded”? DLS does not fit in loaded category. Blair is really good rest of team are solid hs players. Let’s see how Jesuit does Saturday. Does 7/8th team really want Open better chance to go to state at D1
DLS beat #1 team in the country this year. That’s probably one of the biggest wins in the history program and one of best ones ever by a norcal team. Have you seen the resume that west linn has? They can compete with anyone.

Reactions: Eastbayhoops
DLS beat #1 team in the country this year. That’s probably one of the biggest wins in the history program and one of best ones ever by a norcal team. Have you seen the resume that west linn has? They can compete with anyone.
No they didn’t. West Linn was never #1

Yes they were and debating is pointless with you.
West Linn has wins over Duncanville, MC, Bosco Sierra canyon, etc. DLS will be in the open and if Blair stays out of trouble they will be a tough out.

Last edited:
NorCal Open Projections:
  • Modesto Christian
  • Dougherty Valley
  • Clovis West
  • Jesuit
  • De La Salle
  • Mitty
  • Inderkum
  • Salesian
Question: How many teams will be in D1, D2 and so on? Assuming 16 teams are in these brackets, here’s a potential D1 gauntlet.
  • Clayton Valley
  • Folsom
  • Riordan
  • Granada
  • Dublin
  • Sacred Heart Cathedral
  • San Ramon Valley
  • Weston Ranch
  • Pittsburg
  • Moreau
  • Monterey Trail
  • Weston Ranch
  • Capital Christian
  • Lincoln-Stockton
  • James Logan
  • Campo

@ArmchairGOAT , I believe the Central Section Champ game is tnite. Clovis West vs St Joseph. The winner of that game is virtually an automatic. But I don’t think they get both teams. Especially CW getting smashed by MC.

And I don’t see Inderkum getting the bid.
Otherwise I like the picks.

As for the other divisions it’s anybody guess. But I think a few of those teams below are in track and baseball season now.

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
NorCal Open Projections:
  • Modesto Christian
  • Dougherty Valley
  • Clovis West
  • Jesuit
  • De La Salle
  • Mitty
  • Inderkum
  • Salesian
Question: How many teams will be in D1, D2 and so on? Assuming 16 teams are in these brackets, here’s a potential D1 gauntlet.
  • Clayton Valley
  • Folsom
  • Riordan
  • Granada
  • Dublin
  • Sacred Heart Cathedral
  • San Ramon Valley
  • Weston Ranch
  • Pittsburg
  • Moreau
  • Monterey Trail
  • Weston Ranch
  • Capital Christian
  • Lincoln-Stockton
  • James Logan
  • Campo
D1 is gonna be a monster but Pitt, Trail, Capital, Lincoln, Logan are not going.

the other 2 rankings people didnt have them #1 though. because they havent lost since that game and are now #4 and the team they beat is #1. so rankings are pointless

Yes they were and debating is pointless with you.
West Linn has wins over Duncanville, MC, Bosco Sierra canyon, etc. DLS will be in the open and if Blair stays out of trouble they will be a tough out.
it is a debate when 3 different rankings people have 3 different #1s.
they were #1 on usa today only.

D1 is gonna be a monster but Pitt, Trail, Capital, Lincoln, Logan are not going.
Hahahha. That is what I meant about spring sports.
Agreed. Although I would have hated to face Monterey Trail. That’s a heck of a team.

Reactions: TC112
NorCal Open Projections:
  • Modesto Christian
  • Dougherty Valley
  • Clovis West
  • Jesuit
  • De La Salle
  • Mitty
  • Inderkum
  • Salesian
  • Clayton Valley
  • Folsom
  • Riordan
  • Granada
  • Dublin
  • Sacred Heart Cathedral
  • San Ramon Valley
  • Weston Ranch
  • Pittsburg
  • Moreau
  • Monterey Trail
  • Weston Ranch
  • Capital Christian
  • Lincoln-Stockton
  • James Logan
  • Campo
What about 26-3 Lincoln of San Fran
Serra. Ccs open runner up
Oakland vs Oakland tech winner

I still will go 8 strong. CIF knows who opted for Open.
Now let's see who gets the invite to compete against the State's very best.

Last edited:
Clovis west got rolled 74-58
Also for D1 teams like Clovis North , San Joaquin Memorial have to be considered

Reactions: jordan24
I’ll take a crack at it and see how it turns out tomorrow!

In no order

MC
DV
St. Joes
Clovis West
Jesuit
DLS
Folsom
Salesian

I was gonna take a stab at it, but I still need to look at MC v. Jesuit... at 2 am. :)

Okay, had a quick look at the MC game, pretty easy win for MC.

I'll go with:

Locks:

MC
DV
St. Tounde, err, Joseph if they are sent north
DLS

Probably/maybe, in no particular order:

CVC
Jesuit
Salesian
Sacred Heart Cathedral
Clovis West if St. Joseph goes South.

I'd kinda rather see a four-team bracket for this year, of course no way this happens.

Okay, had a quick look at the MC game, pretty easy win for MC.

I'll go with:

Locks:

MC
DV
St. Tounde, err, Joseph if they are sent north
DLS

Probably/maybe, in no particular order:

CVC
Jesuit
Salesian
Sacred Heart Cathedral
Clovis West if St. Joseph goes South.

I'd kinda rather see a four-team bracket for this year, of course no way this happens.
Could be a 7 team bracket, don't think there's 8 teams worthy of Open

And if MC isn’t the top seed that is another slap in face.
SJS seedings were criminal for them. MC is going to roll from what I have witnessed. Team is peaking at Right Time. Just got a 6”7 small forward eligible. A real treat watching them at G1C. Much better team than last year even without Phillips.

Reactions: M.C. fan
MC is the truth! Should easily be a one seed. Less is more as it comes to the open division this year. I think both MC and DV deserve a first round bye so I’d go with 6 teams with St Joseph coming up north
There guard play is insane. BJ Davis is special. SDSU got a great floor general. All intangibles. Brown is so strong and nearly impossible to stop around the rim. Reed Jones is very good player for Jesuit and he just had a rough time keeping him in front. The big fella (prince) has improved a lot. Still a project but he has gotten so much better.

Anything is possible in a Hs game but they will really need to have a bad night for somebody to knock them off. Usually we don’t quite have all the horses to compete in the open. Not this team. The stable is full.

With the CCS Open now being Serra and Sacred Heart Cathedral, does the winner go to the NorCal Open? Either way, NorCal Open and the D1 NorCal will be loaded.

My NorCal Open picks assuming 8 go:
  • Modesto Christian
  • Dougherty Valley
  • De la Salle
  • Salesian
  • Inderkum
  • Jesuit
  • Central Section D1 Winner St. Joseph/Clovis West
  • Winner of CCS Open SHC/Serra?
Bubble:
Folsom, Mitty, Granada
No. SHC won OPEN 2019 and was put as a #10 seed in Division 1. I could see a scenario with both Riordan and Mitty making it in Open. Riordan and Mitty also went 2-1 in pool play however they both lost to the teams that played CCS OPEN Division Championship. Riordan lost to SHC 58-49 and Mitty lost 50-49. All four teams had same record in pool play, with the teams winning head to head playing in the championship. I see both Riordan and Mitty in Open, Serra and SHC will be in D1. SHC middle of the bracket, Serra lower end based on results

I was correct on my locks, but whiffed on #5 Mitty... Thought they'd been knocked out of CCS too early.

Reactions: M.C. fan
I think Mitty, Salesian, Inderkum, Riordan, have cases but they lost in the semis to teams that won’t be in the open. Each section have to submit the order of their section champs/ ranks. Ex: 1. Serra 2. SHCP 3. Mitty 4. Riordan

3 can’t be open and 1&2 not be.
See none of that matters. Like I said Mitty to open. No Finalist made open . .
Also Folsom loses in Qtr finals and gets higher seed than Jesuit who made finals and rolled the team that beat Folsom

Ok that’s a head scratcher . I already posted they seeded them #28 which is a joke

Right and if they did they how MITTY jump Folsom lol idk what we suppose to think at this point. And Jesuit not to open is CRAZY. Lol

Right and if they did they how MITTY jump Folsom lol idk what we suppose to think at this point. And Jesuit not to open is CRAZY. Lol
Folsom has a big gym. One of biggest in norcal. That’s a lot of gate money for cif. Total head scratcher

I was correct on my locks, but whiffed on #5 Mitty... Thought they'd been knocked out of CCS too early.
Too early. They were basically in the semi final game with Serra both teams entering play at 2-0. ßerra beat them by one point. Thus getting the championship.berth

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT