ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal Football Top 20 Rankings

I will let you fellas know. I’m just hoping it’s a great HS game. As a selfish fan I hate seeing blowouts.

Beautiful night for football though.

Yep. Can’t really ask for better weather to play football in. I love this time of year!

I stopped paying attention to all of that drivel along time ago. I don’t understand why anybody else pays it any mind or responds. The ignore feature works fantastically.

IMO, anybody that continues to fight that losing battle and let it get to them and affect their perception of Folsom’s program is just as much to blame as the person you’re talking about.

It was a 15 point loss.

You say the outcome wasn’t in doubt through the gift of hindsight. As we all know DLS won. But if you watched the entire game you know that momentum was on Folsom’s side and they were one single play from making it an 7 or 8 point game with an adequate amount of time on the clock. Which then would have created doubt.

Considering that they had already recovered 2 onside kicks in a row and had a timeout, all those ‘meaningless’ plays leading up to that point nearly became very meaningful.

As @Streak One already pointed out, I’m sure the DLS coaches cared about each and every one of those plays in film study and practice this week.
Apparently you’re continuing to fight it since you responded.

Apparently you’re continuing to fight it since you responded.

What?! I responded to you. Not the person everyone is complaining about. I don’t even see those posts. Furthermore I don’t have a negative outlook toward Folsom because of it. That was the point.

You’re a great poster. Which is also the reason I replied.

Last edited:
In my opinion OR should move up in the rankings more so then Folsom moving down. To me this just proved that OR is legit and Folsom being a really good team found a way to win. Serra is good no doubt but they haven’t face anyone close to DLS and may not have faced anyone as Good as OR. Next week we will see Folsom face a common opponent. If MA gives Folsom as much trouble as OR maybe then you move Serra up. But in my opinion Folsom hasn’t lost the #2 spot.

Streak, I'll be the first to say you're usually accurate more than most and more knowledgeable as well on the bigger picture. I'm more specific as to the CCS and specifically the WCAL as you already know. For what its worth I already have Serra in the #2 spot after the showing Folsom put on vs DLS and how I saw DLS perform vs their first 2 opponents, one of which was St. Francis. Folsom has won its 2 games against very weak teams and then was behind badly in the 1/2 vs DLS - again this was not the close game Folsom fans hoped for. I could be wrong but at this stage in the early season I think Folsom is at #2 in some polls simply because they are Folsom - which begs the question: are they as good as the last several seasons and compared to their better teams? I could be wrong but I think if you took a poll many fans would put Serra in that same #2 spot as I have. Serra typically goes into WCAL league play with a losing record due to their tough pre-season schedule. This season its 3-0 against 3 solid opponents based upon what they've done against other teams. I think this Serra team is just a bit better than the other very good Serra teams of late.
Agree somewhat on Folsom, but I’d actually have to see Serra vs Folsom on the field and judge the outcome.At this point Folsom should stay #2.Serra always plays a tough pre league.Had they played DLS like Folsom did, then we’d have a better barometer by which to judge.

What?! I responded to you. Not the person everyone is complaining about. I don’t even see those posts. Furthermore I don’t have a negative outlook toward Folsom because of it. That was the point.

You’re a great poster. Which is also the reason I replied.
You’re a damn good poster Thunder, always enjoy reading what you have to say. And I like your SM Rams a lot, ballsy program who’ll play anybody.

Streak, I'll be the first to say you're usually accurate more than most and more knowledgeable as well on the bigger picture. I'm more specific as to the CCS and specifically the WCAL as you already know. For what its worth I already have Serra in the #2 spot after the showing Folsom put on vs DLS and how I saw DLS perform vs their first 2 opponents, one of which was St. Francis. Folsom has won its 2 games against very weak teams and then was behind badly in the 1/2 vs DLS - again this was not the close game Folsom fans hoped for. I could be wrong but at this stage in the early season I think Folsom is at #2 in some polls simply because they are Folsom - which begs the question: are they as good as the last several seasons and compared to their better teams? I could be wrong but I think if you took a poll many fans would put Serra in that same #2 spot as I have. Serra typically goes into WCAL league play with a losing record due to their tough pre-season schedule. This season its 3-0 against 3 solid opponents based upon what they've done against other teams. I think this Serra team is just a bit better than the other very good Serra teams of late.

After Folsom's last game they deserve to drop a spot. They were more than lucky to survive that game. The fact Folsom remains at #2 is solely on reputation. This just adds fuel to Serra's fire.

After Folsom's last game they deserve to drop a spot. They were more than lucky to survive that game. The fact Folsom remains at #2 is solely on reputation. This just adds fuel to Serra's fire.
I’m not sure you realize how good OR is. IMO OR is better then any team Serra has played. And they would give Serra a run for their money. I don’t feel Folsom was lucky to survive. I still say a very good team found away to win. Your just not giving OR enough respect. I think it’s alittle premature to be moving Folsom out of the #2 spot just yet. Everything will work it’s self out in the end.

I don't see how Folsom beating a good Oak Ridge team on the road with their best player out for the first half means they should drop.

I agree that the result means Oak Ridge should move up more than Folsom moves down

I like OR getting moved up. Very good team. It’s still early fellas. Oak Ridge has a tough game at Rocklin this week. Folsom at full strength is still a beast to handle.

Reactions: Santa Ball
Some good posts & all hyper-bole at this point, but some statements by posters are pretty humerous such as “Folsom found a way to win against OR”.
Am I mistaken or didn’t the OR kicker hook the 22-yard FG near end of game?
A more accurate statement would be “A tough fought game & Folsom dodged a bullet at the end”.

Reactions: FBAddict
Some good posts & all hyper-bole at this point, but some statements by posters are pretty humerous such as “Folsom found a way to win against OR”.
Am I mistaken or didn’t the OR kicker hook the 22-yard FG near end of game?
A more accurate statement would be “A tough fought game & Folsom dodged a bullet at the end”.
I usually charge for this but I will spot you a little football 101 knowledge.
A field goal is worth 3 points. So if OR makes that field goal you would add 3 points to the already 33 points they have. That equals 36 points. Folsom also had 36 points. So I’m a little lost on the bullet they dodged. Now Folsom is the number 2 team in NorCal the number 1 team in Sacramento area and has dominated every team in the area for a few years now. Folsom forced OR to make a good snap, the holder to catch the ball and get it down, and the kicker to make a good kick while 11 defenders are trying to rush in and block it. All this so that they could TIE A team that has dominated HSFB in that area for years. Believe me there is a little pressure. So I’ll say it again. A really good team found away to win. And that’s what really good teams do.
I have said for years that in order to beat DLS. You have to get over the fact that your playing DLS. I think the same applies to Folsom opposition in that area.

Last edited:
Reactions: THEOC89
Yeah I was at the game. It was OR night. This was there opportunity to win. The turnovers went there way, got some timely calls when needed, and played a heck of a game. But Folsom made huge plays when needed and you gotta tip hat.

Don’t recall if this was answered but if they tie that game with the FG do SFL play OT for reg season? I’m hoping answer is yes otherwise that FG becomes a bad decision if you ask me. Soccer is for ties.

Reactions: Humbab
Yeah I was at the game. It was OR night. This was there opportunity to win. The turnovers went there way, got some timely calls when needed, and played a heck of a game. But Folsom made huge plays when needed and you gotta tip hat.

Don’t recall if this was answered but if they tie that game with the FG do SFL play OT for reg season? I’m hoping answer is yes otherwise that FG becomes a bad decision if you ask me. Soccer is for ties.
Yes, the game would have gone into overtime. There is no time or series limit to overtime. The game would have been played until someone won.

The rule only applies to Varsity football. Freshman and JV football have ties with no overtime provision.

Thx. That makes sense then on the OT. I actually remember now a few years back OR beat GB in OT when baldochino was there QB.

1. De La Salle
2. Folsom
3. Serra
4. Liberty
5. Valley Christian
6. Menlo-Atherton
7. Cardinal Newman
8. Pittsburg
9. St. Francis
10. Oak Ridge
11. Monte Vista
12. Clayton Valley Charter
13. Wilcox
14. St. Mary's
15. Inderkum
16. McClymonds
17. Marin Catholic
18. Turlock
19. Los Gatos
20. California

Serra should be at #2 hands down they've earned it....Folsom is 100% at #2 because of their reputation and laurels. I don't care if they got smoked at DLS at home and then have to play another good team. When Serra played Pitt & MA back-back(AT LEVI's stadium) they were respectfully ranked #8 and #5th.

Serra should be at #2 hands down they've earned it....Folsom is 100% at #2 because of their reputation and laurels. I don't care if they got smoked at DLS at home and then have to play another good team. When Serra played Pitt & MA back-back(AT LEVI's stadium) they were respectfully ranked #8 and #5th.
Folsom is #2 because they are the second best team in NorCal.

Nobody got spanked against DLS. It was a 15 point game in the 4th quarter, with Folsom scoring more than STA did against DLS.

If Serra wants to be #2, they have to prove it by- A. Playing Folsom B. Folsom losing to MA. Both are not happening.

How did Serra earn #2? Folsom hasn't lost to anyone except DLS this year. Serra hasn't, and can't, play DLS this year. Serra beat 3 teams with decent to very good historical legacies. However, especially Pittsburg and St. Mary's seems to be mere shadows of their past.

I don't like the fact of Folsom's weak preseason schedule excluding, of course, DLS. But there is no viable evidence that Serra is better than Folsom. Calpreps still has both Folsom and Liberty rated higher than Serra. Calhisports has Folsom ranked higher than Serra. (It is interesting to note that CHP dropped Liberty below both Serra and VC a couple weeks ago)

I don't see how Serra earned #2.

How did Serra earn #2? Folsom hasn't lost to anyone except DLS this year. Serra hasn't, and can't, play DLS this year. Serra beat 3 teams with decent to very good historical legacies. However, especially Pittsburg and St. Mary's seems to be mere shadows of their past.

I don't like the fact of Folsom's weak preseason schedule excluding, of course, DLS. But there is no viable evidence that Serra is better than Folsom. Calpreps still has both Folsom and Liberty rated higher than Serra. Calhisports has Folsom ranked higher than Serra. (It is interesting to note that CHP dropped Liberty below both Serra and VC a couple weeks ago)

I hope to see this handled on the field at a Neutral location. Simply said.

But there is no viable evidence that Serra is better than Folsom. Calpreps still has both Folsom and Liberty rated higher than Serra. Calhisports has Folsom ranked higher than Serra. (It is interesting to note that CHP dropped Liberty below both Serra and VC a couple weeks ago)

Spot on.

As DLS fans always remind us- "to be the best, you have to beat the best."

Folsom is #2 because they are the second best team in NorCal.

Nobody got spanked against DLS. It was a 15 point game in the 4th quarter, with Folsom scoring more than STA did against DLS.

If Serra wants to be #2, they have to prove it by- A. Playing Folsom B. Folsom losing to MA. Both are not happening.
I agree Folsom is the second best team in NorCal. But Folsom did get spanked by DLS. They were losing by 28 with somewhere around 5mins left in the game. The score does not reflect the beating they took IMO. If the Folsom vs MA game is anything like the Folsom vs OR game them MAYBE Serra deserves the #2 spot.

Agree with this:
I agree Folsom is the second best team in NorCal...

Don’t fully agree with this:
... If the Folsom vs MA game is anything like the Folsom vs OR game them MAYBE Serra deserves the #2 spot.

While there is some merit to common opponent comparisons it does not tell the whole story. Team-A beating Team-C by 21 more points than Team-B beating Team-C does not always translate to Team-A being better then Team-B. If I was trying to throw an argument out there about why Serra may be better than Folsom I’d be thinking more in terms of how the two teams match up.

In 2016 there were not a lot believers out there that thought Sacramento was better than Folsom, until Sacramento beat Folsom 32-27. Sacramento brought enough speed and physicality to match up to Folsom.

Would love to see a head to head in the playoffs if that is even possible.

Great dialogue both amusing & funny and the Folsom backers highly resistant to anyone threatening the #2 spot in a HS rankings poll. It's the quotes that I find funny and here's a couple:

Folsom backer in regards to Serra being #2 above Serra: "As DLS fans always remind us- "to be the best, you have to beat the best."

Umm did I miss something as I thought that Folsom lost to DLS in a game DLS led from start too finish with not much doubt of the outcome? Guess I was watching a different game...

Poster #1 "Nobody got spanked by DLS"
Poster #2. " But Folsom did get spanked by DLS. They were losing by 28 with somewhere around 5 mins left in the game. The score does not reflect the beating they took IMO.

"Folsom is #2 because they are the second best team in NorCal"

and the reasons for all the posts are because no one at this point really knows incl this poster..

Anyway its good to see loyal fans sticking up for their teams and Folsom vs Serra being #2 or #3 or anything else will not cause me to lose sleep tonite. Before Serra's game against Pitt in which Pitt owned Serra in previous meetings I chose Pitt in the NCP's weekly pick'em contest based upon their program and past success. I was surprised as anyone when Serra won easily by a large margin. So Serra is 3-0 & now some question the quality of those 3 opponents [I'll admit I'm one of those fans]. At the same time Folsom is given somewhat of a free pass like I gave Pitt based upon past years' & teams. Folsom as I previously said dodged a bullet when the OR kicker shanked that 22 yd FG or else O/T. I wonder had the game gone to O/T & we all know that anything can happen & what if Folsom came up short? This conversation would be whether 1-2 Folsom should be above or below Pitt and St. Francis. Too many questions still as to just how good is OR to come within a FG of tying Folsom? If Serra stumbles or comes down to the wire vs Valley Christian or St. Francis then I'll have a better idea. A fun season so far.

I don't care about the rankings, just wondering ... what was the closest outcome in a Folsom vs. DLS game?

Reactions: WWHS44
Agree with this:

Don’t fully agree with this:

While there is some merit to common opponent comparisons it does not tell the whole story. Team-A beating Team-C by 21 more points than Team-B beating Team-C does not always translate to Team-A being better then Team-B. If I was trying to throw an argument out there about why Serra may be better than Folsom I’d be thinking more in terms of how the two teams match up.

In 2016 there were not a lot believers out there that thought Sacramento was better than Folsom, until Sacramento beat Folsom 32-27. Sacramento brought enough speed and physicality to match up to Folsom.

Well I'll just say to all the Folsom fans out there my hope is the top 2 & 3 teams have an opportunity to settle it on a neutral field location.

I don't care about the rankings, just wondering ... what was the closest outcome in a Folsom vs. DLS game?

Here you go:

WCAL teams have played DLS far more over the last 20 yrs than has Folsom.

The closest DLS-Folsom game that I'm aware of was last season in the DLS 14-0 defensive slug-fest.

Bells and St. Francis and Mitty have all played DLS several times with the most games against DLS by Serra.

Serra lost to DLS 37-21 in 2015
Serra lost to DLS 21-14 in 2013
Bells lost to DLS 26-23 in double O/T in 2011
Serra lost to DLS 14-7 in 2009
Serra lost to DLS 29-28 in 2008 with about 1-minute remaining

*Bells defeated Folsom 42-35 in 2015 in the NorCal Div 1-AA sectional playoffs to spoil their perfect season and end Folsom's home field win streak of 43 games over 5-seasons. Going into the game Bellarmine of the WCAL was the decided underdog and given little chance of winning against Folsom on its home field.

Bells lost to DLS 26-23 in double O/T in 2011
*Bells defeated Folsom 42-35 in 2015 in the NorCal Div 1-AA sectional playoffs to spoil their perfect season and end Folsom's home field win streak of 43 games over 5-seasons. Going into the game Bellarmine of the WCAL was the decided underdog and given little chance of winning against Folsom on its home field.

I remember listening to that 2011 Bells/DLS game thinking for sure I was witnessing history but... the DLS curse prevailed.

Always had a lot of respect for Bellarmine, hope Janda brings them back to prominence. What has happened to them?

[B said:
"smashmouthrick[/B], post: 242936, member: 594"]I remember listening to that 2011 Bells/DLS game thinking for sure I was witnessing history but... the DLS curse prevailed.
Always had a lot of respect for Bellarmine, hope Janda brings them back to prominence. What has happened to them?

smashmouthrick - I remember the game as well and how the Bells QB was the FG & PAT kicker as well and missed a short FG in regulation that would have won it. Likewise the the 2008 Serra-DLS game in which Serra had taken the lead in late 4th quarter. DLS scored with just over a minute to go to try to tie it and them mishandled the PAT snap - the holder a RB ran for his life for the corner and just barely made it for the 2-pt conversion and the win & Serra crowd in stunned silence. Sometimes really good teams get really lucky - just how it works. So in the last undefeated 20 years or so for DLS in NorCal both Bells & Serra were the 2 who have come closest...

Due to the result of the Folsom game tonight my hope is Joe Davidson does the right thing and bump up Serra to #2 in Nor Cal MaxPrep rankings.

My hope is that somewhere in Joe Davidson’s inevitable article about how great Folsom is scoop, he doesn’t omit the inconvenient fact that Folsom had a platoon of transfers added to the roster this week.

I’m no Ron Burgundy but I think 8-9 transfers in addition to the 6 might be noteworthy to mention for any honest journalists.

smashmouthrick - I remember the game as well and how the Bells QB was the FG & PAT kicker as well and missed a short FG in regulation that would have won it. Likewise the the 2008 Serra-DLS game in which Serra had taken the lead in late 4th quarter. DLS scored with just over a minute to go to try to tie it and them mishandled the PAT snap - the holder a RB ran for his life for the corner and just barely made it for the 2-pt conversion and the win & Serra crowd in stunned silence. Sometimes really good teams get really lucky - just how it works. So in the last undefeated 20 years or so for DLS in NorCal both Bells & Serra were the 2 who have come closest...

@Rmbr26 if I recall didn’t SRV also come close by gambling on a 2pt conversion that failed but would have have given them the W?

...and the beauty of all of this back and forth is that, perhaps, Serra and Folsom will meet in a NorCal bowl game, Valley Christian and St. Francis willing, and the argument will be settled on the field...

I've been making this exact same point for the past 2 weeks.

Where these teams are currently ranked really doesn't matter. It's always a subjective opinion anyway.

With the current postseason setup, they are the 2 likeliest teams headed for a collision in the D1 AA Regional game should they both win out.

Welcome back SMR! We've missed ya!!

FWIW, I completely agree. I've said it many times, common opponents and score comparisons don't mean #$%^. I mean, it's better than nothing and can 'sometimes' give you an indication if a team is good or not -- but there are so many variables involved that it just makes it pretty much irrelevant.

Just from this season, Pitt beat St. Mary's who lost to Serra by 37. So clearly Serra would beat St. Mary's by more than 37, right? Nope. 28.

9 points isn't much of a difference. But it just goes to show that each team can just match up differently based upon strengths, weaknesses, style of play, and varying level of play (and health) and numerous other factors throughout a season.

St. Thomas Aquinas beat DLS nearly 5 weeks ago scoring 24 points in doing so. Folsom scored 27 against DLS in a 15-point loss almost 2 weeks ago. Does that somehow prove that Folsom's offense is on par or better than Aquinas? Nope.

Hell, even H2H outcomes can drastically change during a season. Remember Rocklin-Del Oro in 2015? DO turned a 25-point loss in October into a 10-point win 2 months later.

If you can't even count on H2H outcomes being consistent, how the hell can you put any realistic stock in common opponents?

My hope is that somewhere in Joe Davidson’s inevitable article about how great Folsom is scoop, he doesn’t omit the inconvenient fact that Folsom had a platoon of transfers added to the roster this week.

I’m no Ron Burgundy but I think 8-9 transfers in addition to the 6 might be noteworthy to mention for any honest journalists.

So what's the story with the transfers? Any players of note??

I've been making this exact same point for the past 2 weeks.

Where these teams are currently ranked really doesn't matter. It's always a subjective opinion anyway.

With the current postseason setup, they are the 2 likeliest teams headed for a collision in the D1 AA Regional game should they both win out.

Welcome back SMR! We've missed ya!!

FWIW, I completely agree. I've said it many times, common opponents and score comparisons don't mean #$%^. I mean, it's better than nothing and can 'sometimes' give you an indication if a team is good or not -- but there are so many variables involved that it just makes it pretty much irrelevant.

Just from this season, Pitt beat St. Mary's who lost to Serra by 37. So clearly Serra would beat St. Mary's by more than 37, right? Nope. 28.

9 points isn't much of a difference. But it just goes to show that each team can just match up differently based upon strengths, weaknesses, style of play, and varying level of play (and health) and numerous other factors throughout a season.

St. Thomas Aquinas beat DLS nearly 5 weeks ago scoring 24 points in doing so. Folsom scored 27 against DLS in a 15-point loss almost 2 weeks ago. Does that somehow prove that Folsom's offense is on par or better than Aquinas? Nope.

Hell, even H2H outcomes can drastically change during a season. Remember Rocklin-Del Oro in 2015? DO turned a 25-point loss in October into a 10-point win 2 months later.

If you can't even count on H2H outcomes being consistent, how the hell can you put any realistic stock in common opponents?

So what's the story with the transfers? Any players of note??

TR, MCIC might have more insight. I simply checked the SJS website after the post on another thread to verify the claim and can see that they have 9 adds eligible for football this coming week.

Maybe just victory formation guys will see vs. M.A. but that's a heck of a lot for a SFL team. IF a few are players Folsom gets exponentially better, rest of the SFL not so much.

Reactions: ThunderRam
Can someone clarify the talk about more transfers for Folsom being eligible to play this week? What is that about?

By the way, 28-0 near the end of the first half is being spanked, no matter what happened in the second half.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT