ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal Football Top 20 Rankings

My hope is that somewhere in Joe Davidson’s inevitable article about how great Folsom is scoop, he doesn’t omit the inconvenient fact that Folsom had a platoon of transfers added to the roster this week.

I’m no Ron Burgundy but I think 8-9 transfers in addition to the 6 might be noteworthy to mention for any honest journalists.

For the record, I was at the game....DLS pulled their 1's at HT and started rotating in 2's at Folsom game. Hence 27-0 got narrowed down....

Here you go:

WCAL teams have played DLS far more over the last 20 yrs than has Folsom.

The closest DLS-Folsom game that I'm aware of was last season in the DLS 14-0 defensive slug-fest.

Bells and St. Francis and Mitty have all played DLS several times with the most games against DLS by Serra.

Serra lost to DLS 37-21 in 2015
Serra lost to DLS 21-14 in 2013
Bells lost to DLS 26-23 in double O/T in 2011
Serra lost to DLS 14-7 in 2009
Serra lost to DLS 29-28 in 2008 with about 1-minute remaining

*Bells defeated Folsom 42-35 in 2015 in the NorCal Div 1-AA sectional playoffs to spoil their perfect season and end Folsom's home field win streak of 43 games over 5-seasons. Going into the game Bellarmine of the WCAL was the decided underdog and given little chance of winning against Folsom on its home field.

BTW - that Bell game was AT DLS...and it was only lost by a missed field goal PAT. #WCAL

Can someone clarify the talk about more transfers for Folsom being eligible to play this week? What is that about?

By the way, 28-0 near the end of the first half is being spanked, no matter what happened in the second half.

I was responding on another thread regarding the notion of SFL teams closing the gap on Folsom this season. Joe D has written more than once about Folsom having 11 players this season with D1 scholarship offers. Following our game last week vs Folsom, it did not appear on both sides of the ball that 11 of those players had D1 scholarship offers. Don't get me wrong, the Folsom players on the field that night were very good, but 11 with D1 offers seemed unlikely to me (my opinion). The Folsom varsity roster has 73 players. Going into the season, as per CIFSJS website, they had 6 transfer players eligible to play week 1. After the SOP (Sit Out Period), which ends this week, they will have an additional 9 transfers eligible to play immediately. I know this because one of our players from OR transferred to Folsom a few days before week 1, he is now eligible to play this week. This brings a total of 15 transfers. My guess is that maybe some of those D1 offer players are in that latter stock....just a hunch.

Just from this season, Pitt beat St. Mary's who lost to Serra by 37. So clearly Serra would beat St. Mary's by more than 37, right? Nope. 28.

9 points isn't much of a difference. But it just goes to show that each team can just match up differently based upon strengths, weaknesses, style of play, and varying level of play (and health) and numerous other factors throughout a season.

St. Mary's scored a garbage-time TD (about a minute to play), likely against the Padre reserves. Otherwise, it was a 35-pt game.

Reactions: pc2986 and THEOC89
Maybe just victory formation guys will see vs. M.A. but that's a heck of a lot for a SFL team. IF a few are players Folsom gets exponentially better, rest of the SFL not so much.

Anyone know the health status of Menlo-Atherton? Cal-Hi suggested that they were down to their 3rd-string center against Serra and may have similarly suffered against East (Utah).

They jumped out to a lead against East, but faded very rapidly. Was that due to injuries? East adjustments? Anyone know what really happened in that game?

Anyone know the health status of Menlo-Atherton? Cal-Hi suggested that they were down to their 3rd-string center against Serra and may have similarly suffered against East (Utah).

They jumped out to a lead against East, but faded very rapidly. Was that due to injuries? East adjustments? Anyone know what really happened in that game?
Not sure. But a few transfers should become eligible either this week or next. One is the promising QB from SHP.

I was responding on another thread regarding the notion of SFL teams closing the gap on Folsom this season. Joe D has written more than once about Folsom having 11 players this season with D1 scholarship offers. Following our game last week vs Folsom, it did not appear on both sides of the ball that 11 of those players had D1 scholarship offers. Don't get me wrong, the Folsom players on the field that night were very good, but 11 with D1 offers seemed unlikely to me (my opinion). The Folsom varsity roster has 73 players. Going into the season, as per CIFSJS website, they had 6 transfer players eligible to play week 1. After the SOP (Sit Out Period), which ends this week, they will have an additional 9 transfers eligible to play immediately. I know this because one of our players from OR transferred to Folsom a few days before week 1, he is now eligible to play this week. This brings a total of 15 transfers. My guess is that maybe some of those D1 offer players are in that latter stock....just a hunch.

And all 15 transferred cause FOLSOM is a great school and a nice city.

St. Mary's scored a garbage-time TD (about a minute to play), likely against the Padre reserves. Otherwise, it was a 35-pt game.

Eh, point taken. But don't those count too? I mean, it often happens the other way as well -- where a team tacks on a late TD to widen the score even further. But those rarely seem to be disregarded.

Regardless, there are numerous other, better examples that could be cited but I was just trying to use something recent and was being lazy. Admittedly, I haven't reviewed that game via NFHS, but plan to at some point. Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:

Just a quick look at some of the transfers and it appears Folsom is better week 2 league now joined by Oak Ridge, Sheldon, Consumes Oaks, Rosemont, Capital Christian, Rocklin transfers to name a few...

Last edited:
I was just peeking at the CIF-SJS site and looked at all the SFL teams...While Folsom has 15 players on the transfer list.....the rest of the ENTIRE SFL has a grand total of 3 transfers???? No red flag there.....
Do you have a link to that page? Thanks in advance.

Do you have a link to that page? Thanks in advance.

My buddies kid play's baseball for Folsom and his dad played for Brewers for a Cup of Coffee. He does not attend the football games because he knows the Folsom coaches are filthy and recruit from Reno to SJS area. Plain and simple.

Reactions: RedZone90
My buddies kid play's baseball for Folsom and his dad played for Brewers for a Cup of Coffee. He does not attend the football games because he knows the Folsom coaches are filthy and recruit from Reno to SJS area. Plain and simple.
I also heard your buddy lacked a "filthy" off speed pitch and had to settle for water.

For the record, I was at the game....DLS pulled their 1's at HT and started rotating in 2's at Folsom game. Hence 27-0 got narrowed down....

A lot of folks were at that game. Myself included. I was sitting on the DLS side next to a DLS fan from this board. DLS played their core guys the entire game, as did Folsom. Core guys include backups or 2’s as you put it. Folsom was rotating back ups in the game too. All starters don’t play every play of every game, especially since some of them play both ways. I think you’re trying to mislead a bit here.

A lot of folks were at that game. Myself included. I was sitting on the DLS side next to a DLS fan from this board. DLS played their core guys the entire game, as did Folsom. Core guys include backups or 2’s as you put it. Folsom was rotating back ups in the game too. All starters don’t play every play of every game, especially since some of them play both ways. I think you’re trying to mislead a bit here.

I have no horse in this race and could care less.. I coached the best 8th graders in Nor Cal for the class of '21(Now Juniors). They are legitimate 1st string lineman for DLS and I can tell you besides Dorian(QB) I can tell you the lineman OL & DL were on the sideline...

I have no horse in this race and could care less.. I coached the best 8th graders in Nor Cal for the class of '21(Now Juniors). They are legitimate 1st string lineman for DLS and I can tell you besides Dorian(QB) I can tell you the lineman OL & DL were on the sideline...

Be specific. They were all on the sideline for what time frame? As I stated, both teams were rotating players. You’re trying to make it seem as if DLS sat all of their starters for a long stretch — I’m assuming the late 3rd and early 4th quarter — which somehow enabled them to close the gap. So be specific. The game is available online so it’ll be easy to confirm or debunk.

Be specific. They were all on the sideline for what time frame? As I stated, both teams were rotating players. You’re trying to make it seem as if DLS sat all of their starters for a long stretch — I’m assuming the late 3rd and early 4th quarter — which somehow enabled them to close the gap. So be specific. The game is available online so it’ll be easy to confirm or debunk.
Who cares? Debunk it then. That game was a case closed halfway through the 2nd. If you have to put starters back in to finish the job oh well. The fact they pulled the starters should say enough. At no time was DLS concerned about losing after the 1st qtr.

Reactions: THEOC89
Who cares? Debunk it then. That game was a case closed halfway through the 2nd. If you have to put starters back in to finish the job oh well. The fact they pulled the starters should say enough. At no time was DLS concerned about losing after the 1st qtr.

Calm down. I asked pc2986 to provide specifics. Not you. You can move right along.

Was pc2986 there to watch the beat down Folsom JV's put on DeLaSalle 35-7 or was that their backups

Since DLS has 8 Sophmores on Varsity I guess you could say that "Yes" at least 8 of 22 Starters on JV were "Back Ups".... :)

I guess this is what it has come to for Folsom Fan... "Our JV Team is Better Then Your JV Team"....:)

For the Record, DLS Freshmen beat Folsom's Freshmen... :)

Funny dialogue - reminds me of the bumper stickers that became popular "My child is an Honor Student at Johnson Elementary School" [along those lines].

Not too much later on the other one came out "My kid can beat up your kid"
[and yes NOT considered pc in these days & times - your vehicle would be keyed for sure by an angry soccer mom].

Whenever you try to "up someone" you gotta know its comin' back at ya.. Go Folsom JV's!!

Rmbr26
Streak,
I'll be the first to say you're usually accurate more than most and more knowledgeable as well on the bigger picture. I'm more specific as to the CCS and specifically the WCAL as you already know. For what its worth I already have Serra in the #2 spot after the showing Folsom put on vs DLS and how I saw DLS perform vs their first 2 opponents, one of which was St. Francis. Folsom has won its 2 games against very weak teams and then was behind badly in the 1/2 vs DLS - again this was not the close game Folsom fans hoped for. I could be wrong but at this stage in the early season I think Folsom is at #2 in some polls simply because they are Folsom - which begs the question: are they as good as the last several seasons and compared to their better teams? I could be wrong but I think if you took a poll many fans would put Serra in that same #2 spot as I have. Serra typically goes into WCAL league play with a losing record due to their tough pre-season schedule. This season its 3-0 against 3 solid opponents based upon what they've done against other teams. I think this Serra team is just a bit better than the other very good Serra teams of late.
I agree with you on Serra, Their Schedule and how dominant they have been says they are #2 in Nor Cal right now....

Any team can be down 42-14 in the 4th quarter to DLS that is nothing special...

The “Polls” though I believe will wait until Folsom plays MA Next week... If Folsom wins a 45-14 type of game, then Folsom will remain #2.... If it happens to be a close game Serra will leapfrog Folsom...
Well, how do you guys feel now about Folsom? They are up 35-0 at the 1/2 over MA and I believe they are playing without Ngata. I do feel they are not as good as last year though. And I also think a Serra-Folsom game would be a great game to watch. Folsom is still #2 in NorCal!

Rmbr26
Streak,
I'll be the first to say you're usually accurate more than most and more knowledgeable as well on the bigger picture. I'm more specific as to the CCS and specifically the WCAL as you already know. For what its worth I already have Serra in the #2 spot after the showing Folsom put on vs DLS and how I saw DLS perform vs their first 2 opponents, one of which was St. Francis. Folsom has won its 2 games against very weak teams and then was behind badly in the 1/2 vs DLS - again this was not the close game Folsom fans hoped for. I could be wrong but at this stage in the early season I think Folsom is at #2 in some polls simply because they are Folsom - which begs the question: are they as good as the last several seasons and compared to their better teams? I could be wrong but I think if you took a poll many fans would put Serra in that same #2 spot as I have. Serra typically goes into WCAL league play with a losing record due to their tough pre-season schedule. This season its 3-0 against 3 solid opponents based upon what they've done against other teams. I think this Serra team is just a bit better than the other very good Serra teams of late.

Well, how do you guys feel now about Folsom? They are up 35-0 at the 1/2 over MA and I believe they are playing without Ngata. I do feel they are not as good as last year though. And I also think a Serra-Folsom game would be a great game to watch. Folsom is still #2 in NorCal!

The Same.... Looks like the 9 New Transfers for Folsom are paying off!!!.... Folsom’s Transferred up All Star Team is Beating a D3 Team 35-0 at half.... Congrats to Folsom....

The Same.... Looks like the 9 New Transfers for Folsom are paying off!!!.... Folsom’s Transferred up All Star Team is Beating a D3 Team 35-0 at half.... Congrats to Folsom....
But Serra, not showing any better than Folsom against MA.

Folsom is #2 because they are the second best team in NorCal.

Nobody got spanked against DLS. It was a 15 point game in the 4th quarter, with Folsom scoring more than STA did against DLS.

If Serra wants to be #2, they have to prove it by- A. Playing Folsom B. Folsom losing to MA. Both are not happening.
that game was a blowout. 27-0 everybody knew that chicken was done.

Please keep Folsom at No.2. The third slot may well be decided Nov. 2 when Valley Christian motors north to San Mateo for a date with Serra.

Reactions: Santa Ball
But Serra, not showing any better than Folsom against MA.

But Folsom Could Barley Beat a Team (Missed FG) that just lost to Rocklin....

I would say OR and PITT are probably Equal right now.... Serra Blew Out PITT....

To your point though... Maybe If those 9 Transfers were eligible Folsom would have been more impressive in that OR Game...

Folsom is #2 in Nor Cal until someone beats them on the field...

Last edited:
Folsom is #2 till someone proves them otherwise now especially since they got their reinforcements of out of area players

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT