ADVERTISEMENT

Norcal Open Division

winetot

Sports Fanatic
Nov 13, 2012
Everyone has their own opinion on this. Personally, I think the final 3 spots(if the committee takes 8 teams) are still up in the air.

The locks:

SMS 29-1
Miramonte 27-2
Pinewood 24-2
Carondelet 25-2
Brookside Christian 23-2

In with section championships:

Salesian 27-3
SMB 23-7
SHC 16-10

In discussion:

St. Ignatius, Bishop O'Dowd, Vanden, Modesto Christian

I think it will be:

(1)SMS versus (8)SMB/Salesian
(2)Miramonte versus (7) Brookside Christian
(3)Pinewood versus (6) Carondelet
(4)Salesian/SMB versus (5) SI

Looks good but I think the O'Dowd has no business being in the conversation with too many preseason losses. Now if they beat Miramonte, then yeah I think they probably will go.

So if SHC wins they are in and SI is out?

This post was edited on 3/5 8:20 AM by jazzpt55

Norcal Fan -

I agree with you but because they are playing Miramonte in the section finals, I had to put them in the discussion in case they pull the upset.

So when Brookside beat Salesian at the WCJ that was huge based on
looking at your teams....

I actually want Brookside to go 8th so I can see them play SMS finally....

If SMB beats Salesian badly in the NCS final does that make Brookside the
8th team?

Jazz -

Brookside and SMS are in the same section. I am pretty sure the committee tries to keep sections away from one another in the first round. If SMB beats Salesian badly, Salesian may be out. I think Brookside will

open against Miramonte.This post was edited on 3/5 8:32 AM by winetot

This post was edited on 3/5 8:34 AM by winetot

Winetot

I'm like the first round match MM vs Brookside should be a good one if it happens. But like your said SMS and Brookside are in the same Section they wont play each other the first round. But if Brookside beats MM they will have to play the winner of Pinewood and Carondelet. Pinewood knock of Brookside in D5 Norcal Champion game last year and if they win we will see the game SMS vs Brookside.

SMB vs Salesian will be a tightly contested rivalry game.Neither team will beat the other badly.I think both get into the Open,regardless of who wins or loses.

I think SI is also a lock unless they lose to ESCP tonight.

SHC is a lock if they beat PW tonight. Since Stella Kailahi went down at the end of the ESCP game with what looked like a sprained ankle, this may be more likely than it would be otherwise.

BOD is a lock if they beat Miramonte on Saturday.

Hmmm. Under certain circumstances I could see Brookside and the loser of the SMB/Salesian game winding up on the cutting room floor.

Personalogic -

So you say SI is a lock... Unless
SHC is a lock... if
BOD is a lock... if

Doesn't that not make those teams locks?
This post was edited on 3/5 9:13 AM by winetot

Vanden lost to both SMB and Modesto Christian. They will be battling Bishop O'Dowd in the Norcal Division 3 finals.

Winetot - maybe the irony was a little too dry.

Other than SMS, I am not sure any of the teams are certain to be placed in the Open Division. There are still some critical games to be played, and different ways to look at season records. It's also possible that fewer than 8 teams will be selected.

if the choice is salesian or bc how could it be salesian
bc beat them on a neutral court by 10.....

If Modesto Christian and Brookside Christian are the only other teams from SJS (besides St. Mary's Stockton) in discussion for NorCal Open, an "undefeated" Kimball from SJS D2 should not be ignored, especially if they pull off the upset and beat Modesto Christian in the SJS D2 finals. It should be noted that Kimball handed Antelope a defeat of 59-49, whereas, Antelope's only other loss was to Brookside Christian with a score of 70-65. Sure, Kimball's schedule may have been a cakewalk and appear to be a "tanked" schedule. But, when challenged (ie. vs Antelope), they definitely are not tanking and confident they will be playing to win vs Modesto Christian this weekend.

Btw, I am not implying other teams from other sections are tanking (like other posters may have implied) - just saying that Kimball is NOT (neither Modesto Christian), even though Kimball's schedule, especially pre-season, creates this perception. Just saying.

The committee would be doing Kimball a disservice by putting them in the Open.

No disrespect intended, but Kimball has not shown enough to be considered for the Open Division. They don't qualify by the guidelines, and they played a super easy schedule. Beating Antelope does not catapult a team to the Open.

Kimball in not in the talks for open because they haven't won state or any history in sections. That's to be perfectly honest about Kimball situation right now but they are a good team. The game Kimball vs Modesto Christian will be the tell of 2 different worlds. Modesto has many section champions and last year D3 State Champions where this is Kimball first time to the big stage. In my opinion Modesto Christian will win because of experience playing in big games. MC only lost 3 players from last year and gained a health Candice White to add to the players that played in the D3 State Championship last year. MC coach make real good adjustments each game and that will be the difference in the game.

I don't Kimball is ready for the Norcal Open this year because the that will be in the open been on the big stage for a while. Teams like SMS, MM, SI, Pinewood, Carondelet, Salesian, SMB, and Brookside would lick their chops to play Kimball this year. They will do good in D2 Norcal State until the run into Mitty and have to beat Antelope for the second time.

But Good Luck in the D2 Norcal State playoffs.

Too many preseason losses?
Oh So I guess BOD is the only team in the Playoffs that had a bad preseason and now are making a run for State? BOD has been where these other teams are trying to get and beat these teams that you all speak so highly of to get there as well, but thank you for your continuous support of good basketball. I just love coming to see all of your thoughts and predictions and opinions. And I especially LOVE to NOT see the same when so many of you are wrong.

Just remember at the end of the day BOD was the first team to win the OPEN Division after this lovely forum and so many other people said they COULDN'T. BOD will stay at the top of that list so no matter what any one has to say none of that will be taken away from them.

See you Saturday at 2pm

#dragonsrise

O'Dowd did split with SHC this year. I think that is the only team they have beaten in the Open conversation. They could beat Miramonte on Saturday(I do think that would be an upset). If they do, I think they are in the Open discussion. I think they will be playing Vanden in the Norcal Division 3 final and not in the Open Division. I think they would have a better chance there anyway. They did struggle a little against SMS this year when they played.

Who said they couldn't win the open? They had like 9 d1 players on the roster. Chidom, Waters, Bostick, Brown,Robertson, Thomas, Lassiter, Kambauch, And Williams. Come on now.... Everyone knew BOD was the real deal in 2012. This preseason they struggled some, but are rounding out at the most important time of the season and if they win Saturday they are open bound again, if they don't they will be right back in The mix for another state title in d3, it's a win win for the Dragons.

So the big one to nite
Is escp vs is in the
City.... if escp wins
SI is out correct?

7pm....

Man I would like see them do it....
I want bod and shc to win
Also ....would that be something

3 underdogs ...I know I am dreaming

Come On now it was said they would not be able to beat Winward because they had lost to them in Preseason. SO It was said they WOULDN'T win OPEN. Snacks5 True a lot of people KNEW they were the real deal and even with all those D1 players many doubted them.

Well they were some fools. Lol. That team was real. Windward was overrated because of Canada and everyone seems to love Jordin Canada.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't O'Dowd the #3 team in the country and Windward the #2 going into the OPEN state championship game that year?

How does that constitute no one thinking O'Dowd had a chance?

To tell you the truth, I don't remember that thinking either. But then again I'm from the SF bay area, maybe I didn't hear
the "talk" coming from the rest of the state....perhaps I was in a bubble, so to speak.

You might have the first 2 right in SMS and Miramonte I think the 3rd seed has to be SHC. I think BOD will beat Miramonte and make this even more interesting. I don't think SI gets in

NBGR- oh how I wish I could go back, back, back into time to review the conversations. The fact that BOD LOST to Winward in December and Winward was on a WINNING streak, A few good men on this fine website was so kind to suggest that BOD wouldn't be so lucky to win the second time around. But Of course no one remembers that. But they did win. So it's water under the bridge. No need to cry over spilled milk. I brought it up because it was suggested that they didn't deserve to be mentioned but that too is water under the bridge. until next time....

This post was edited on 3/6 12:37 AM by TEAM_AR

That was a great O'Dowd team, but Windward was really good too. I don't think too many people claimed O'Dowd couldn't win, but if you believe the past helps predict the future, the Windward win showed it was possible for Windward to overcome O'Dowd's depth and talent.

Jordin Canada, like so many elite young guards, is not a consistent three-point shooter. When the threes are falling, she's almost impossible to guard; when they're not, you have a chance to slow her down.

Again, getting to the rim time and time again against inferior opposition (or simply less athletic opposition) is not the road to maximizing your ability. Someday attacking the rim won't be an option, either because of the perimeter defense or because of a 6-5 shotblocker in the paint, and when that time inevitably comes, the confidence and ability to make threes becomes crucial.

Now yall see what I mean about C-Lets schedule. They just lost to Dublin. SHC gets that 3 seed now

Since the last oh 72 hours have changed the course of NorCal basketball this season (outside of SMS)

Who goes to the open now?

SMS
MM
SHC
PINEWOOD

We should stop right there. The other candidates are Salesian, Carondelet, Bishop Odowd, SM Berkeley, Vanden, Modesto Christian, Brooksdie Christian, Eastside Prep, SI, Mitty.

Northbay

I will agree Saleisian with no question because the won their section and Modesto Christian in with their long resume including last year D3 State Champion. But I think the last 2 seed are up for grabs or does the committee decide to only take 6 this year. Si, Mitty, and ESCP you can court them out because they lost in the semis. I think you can knock out Vanden to for history because they just won their first Section Chanpion. Vanden needs to have a chance to win State in their division. SMB out with a 16 point lost to Salesian. Brookside out with a lost to Bradshaw. Carondelet out with a lost to Dublin even though it was close. BOD might be in with because history is very long. So the question is who gets the luck seed 8 to play SMS first round???????????????

rules are unfair for CCS Open Division teams...

If you're correct, that St Ignatius, Eastside College Prep & Mitty cannot be considered for the NorCal Open Division because they lost in the semi-finals of the CCS Open (8 top teams). I personally watched Archbishop Mitty defeat Salesian early this season by 20 points in San Jose. SI or Pinewood easily dispatched of Modesto Christian early in the season, too, in a San Diego tournament. I believe Eastside College Prep could beat Salesian. They have as good of a resume as almost anybody
in the Bay Area.

Who knows, Pinewood might opt for Div 5 because their frosh post player and high scorer has a banged up knee. She only played 13 minutes vs SHC.

The rules must be the same for all sections. I heard rumors of CCS changes coming in football...
Que sera, sera.

I'm more on the guys side but always like to watch the top girls squads. After watching st mary's dismantle a very good Mcclatchy team does anybody in norcal come close to them? I mean they score effortlessely with that press and go 8-9 deep without losing much. You guys tell me. I haven't seen these other schools play but I would be surpised if they get a game.

TightWadHill

It not about early this its about right now because a lot teams can make same argument. It is about how a team starts a season it's about how you finish. I sure SI, Mitty, and ESCP will be gladly play in their Division. Mitty and Modesto Christian might meet in the D2 Norcal playoffs. It is abot how a team is playing right now. SI will have a great chance of going to the D1 State Championship because D1 only has Berkeley and McClatchy that are real strong. ESCP will have it easy winning D5 with Pinewood in the Open and Brookside in D4 right now.

larry legend33,

Although SMS is clearly the favorites, they will still have to show up and play well, to be crowned open champions.
Sacred Heart Cathedral played a very close game at least based on the scoreboard.( I was not there.)
SHC only loss to SMS by 4 or 6 points. And several teams have beaten SHC. So my point has always been... any good team can upset a team that may be better than they are.

1-8 should all be good teams, so it should be a few exciting games.

Paytc

SHC is a good team. With that being said, the final score of the St Marys and SHC game does not reflect the dominance of SMS. SMS was up over 20 points then decided to relax. I watch quite a few games and no one comes close to SMS in Nor Cal. Although I think SHC is a great team, SMS beats them by 20+ next time they

SMS is so deep, they will wear anyone down (i'm sure most of you agree). Tom can go 10 girls, all D1, without too much interruption. The scary part is that I cant believe a freshmen and two sophomores are starters. I just love how this team plays, a little showtime mixed with a lot of skill. The freshmen class is unbelievable. Tom got very lucky to get so many good freshmen at the same time.

SHC is a good team with fast guards and a team with a will to win. They are not deep enough to handle SMS, yet. I've noticed some girls have to play most of the game and that is why I agree with being a player or two away from a championship team. Bench points make a difference between a good team and a great team. SMS is a great team, SHC is a good team. I see SHC has some bigs coming down the pipeline and I think in a few years they will be a force to be reckon with.

This post was edited on 3/8 3:40 PM by Garcia2

It looks like SHC might get to play SMS. MC gets unlucky and plays SMS in first round.

Garcia2,

Again yes, SMS are the most talented,deepest,well coached,and the best.

But I recall a year when Larry Johnson played at UNLV and UNLV beat Duke easily by 30 points in the championship game. UNLV was at least 20 points better than Duke was the following year and loss to Duke in the championship. Now I know that's a Las Vegas team and corruption could have played a part , but my point is you still have to cross the goal line to be crowned champions.

SMS are the favorites and I would put my money on them to win, but they don't scare every team.

Some teams realize even SMS is only allowed to put 5 players on the court at a time. Some teams think they have a good 5-8 players that can play with SMS or anyone else. But please don't ask me to name those teams.
happy.r191677.gif

I just imagine there are a few out there?

Good game plans, bad refereeing, foul trouble, and off shooting nights do occasionally happen.

Enjoy the games !

Paytc

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT