ADVERTISEMENT

Norcal Open Division

Schools can offer freshman. There are no written offers. Shipp is a 2015 and has signed. Tutor, Smith Cayton and Decosta likely have verbal offers from D1 schools. I recall reading Angel Johnson verbally committed to UOP. The Rams have, at a minimum 5 d1 kids offered, a d2 kid signed and a stable of others that will get looks at some point and those levels will likely vary respectively.

If we are talking on paper they only have one signed I believe. I agree SHC is a huge match up problem for SMS but SHC needs to worry about SMB because they have a stud and some role players.... kidding Villa, if SMB is on they will be a tough one to knock off.

For someone that acts like he knows what he is talking about, you really don't . To begin with nobody gets a offer in writing until nov of their senior year. That being said these are the facts , Kat offers from at least 25 d-1 , including oregon st , Arizona st., Iowa st , USC , Iowa , oregon , Sydney Fidel , full ride verbal commitment to uop . Angel Johnson offer from university of Hawaii . Micole, Arizona st , New Mexico , usf, several others. Sierra smith and Ariel Johnson were offered by head coach of San Diego St at the SMS MLK . Naje Murray will be d-1 for sure . Aquira Decosta was offered by asu, oregon st and sdsu before she played her first high school game. These are the facts.
Now about the scheduling SMS probably the toughest in the country , including a victory at SHC which they were winning by 20 in the second qtr and started subbing the entire team . If I were you I would concentrate on the game at hand and worry about SMS when the time comes . Just like SMS has to worry about their upcoming game. Trust me these are facts. No one gets a scholarship in writing until their senior year

^^^^my hater alert is ringing like crazy^^^^

Hating on kids, shame on you. It's ok to talk about who may or not win, but to spew false info about kids you know nothing about is shameful. I will not try to explain nor argue why you sound like a hater.

Oh, keep telling yourself SHC played a tougher schedule. Im impressed by all the stats, yeah right.

Nor Cal Scout

I'm not counting any chickens before they hatch so verbal offers don't mean anything. If nothing has been offered on paper or signed then it doesn't count. If that's the case offer me a million dollars so I can go around telling everyone I'm a millionaire because you offered it to me! Colleges "offer" kids verbally all the time in case the kid actually turns out to be a player. However, until it's set in stone it's meaningless. SHC will have no problems with SMB because SMB can't handle pressure. After watching the game against Salesian SMB is in trouble. They got in based on what they did last year but probably should be in their division. They do have one STUD and Mosley is a BEAST but she can't do all the ball handling, scoring, rebounding and guard everyone defensively. SHC is to tough defensively, goes to deep and has to many weapons for them to stop. Who's going to guard A'shonti Coleman? I'lmari Thmas? Gabby Vigil? Kayla Coloyan? Either of them can go for 20 on any given night. ESPECIALLY when you press and pick up full court all game. It's the playoffs and anything is possible but l don't see SMB pulling out an upset. The most interesting game will be the Pinewood game

This is going to be a get game in the second if it happens. SMS and SHC are very good teams but like always fouls will dictate this game on both sides. They both have great deep benches that's what will be the difference in the game. SHC will probably handle SMS press very well in the begin then after that see what happens in the second half. I'm sure SHC will press right back and the end it will be about who in more condition. This will be a good game but don't sleep on Modesto Christian or SMB they are good too.

Every good team which has been mentioned SHC, SI, Salesian, MM, SMB, etc., without key players, without so called "role players, bench players, without their team as a whole, is vulnerable. SHC without their guards, Coleman, or Thomas are vulnerable. SI without Little is vulnerable. Salesian without McNair or Moore is vulnerable. MM without Sabrina is vulnerable. SMB without Mosley is vulnerable. And just cause I didn't mention a player's name does not mean they're not a key component to their team. It's just an example people.
With that being said, I just want to make it clear I don't think my kid is superior to any of her teammates. I don't think without her SMS would crumble. Just stating the obvious, as many of you try your best to down play the roles of certain players on certain teams, not just my kid, as I see it every day.
I just feel people need to stop with the this kid ain't all that, they don't make the team, the team can do blanky blank without this kid or that kid. At the end of the day, we should all be rooting for each other's kid, wishing the best for them. It's enough scholarships, D1, D2, etc. for them all.

>> Now about the scheduling SMS probably the toughest in the country

So that's an opinion, and it sounds like you're really not too sure about it anyway.

But no need to worry about opinions with this topic. MaxPreps lists every team's strength of schedule.

St. Mary's (Stockton) = 18.2851

Sacred Heart Cathedral = 25.4392

Sorry passion, it's not even close. SHC played the toughest schedule of any team in NorCal.

And Chaminade was the only team in California to play a tougher schedule than SHC. Fact.

Passionatedad

As I stated before I'm not referring to any verbal offers they mean nothing. Until there is an official letter sent to a kid and parents to sign and send back everything else is interest. Every college is interested in any kid with potential. So talk to me about kids that are there that have signed some where. Until then nobody is a "D1 player".

Do you want me to go back to the schedule with you or do you want to go to maxpreps and look it up yourself?

As far as the first game goes they weren't up 20 in the second qtr it was more like 12 and they didn't clear the bench either. Furthermore, the end of the game ended with SMS up 6 so I'd like to think up 20 or more when those players aren't getting it done he would take them out and put in the "DOMINATE" players as you all say. If those players were so "DOMINATE" they should have been able to push the lead back to 20 with no problem right?

At the end of the day if this team is as good and as deep as you all say they would have beat SHC by 20 no matter who they had in the game or who they subbed since SMS has 10 D1 players right?

Wrong....

CityBoy415

You are right in so many ways until a player sign a players is a prospect and depends how high a players is on their board. The letter in the mail tell you everything is all good an they truly want the player. That's just like when players finds out they will be on McDonald All America when they send the letter for your shoes size and uniform size. But I believe most will be sign if the are on the top 4 positions on the recruit board.

Lets talk a little about MaxPrep power rankings for schedule.These rankings are about how good a was the year before because its to hard to track all the moving piece from team to team. Next year power rankings for schedule will reflect this year schedule.

I agree until they sign it does not mean anything. However, if the offers are as stated then one of those are going to pan out. You did get passionate dad of his recliner so you pushed a couple buttons that is for sure. Although you mention guarding assignments. My understanding is stockton presses, that is what they did to Piedmont so the assignments never materialize.

I've watched the MaxPreps rankings and strength of schedule for quite a few years. I don't believe the strength of schedule uses last years' games.

I'm sorry I was referring to guarding assignments in the first match up against St Marys Berkeley. Gotta win the first game or the second won't matter.

SouthBayHoopFan

I'm not up on the maxprep rankings but I can speculate that you are on point. Just by looking in the top 25 teams played in the pre-season and the road SHC had to take to win the open CCS nobodys schedule around here comapres

Max preps strength of schedule does not tell the whole story. It depends on what one defines a tough schedule. The Max Preps ratings have their purpose, but you don't see them corresponding with their top 25 teams. What the ratings reflect is the over all average of all the teams that are played by any team. SMS average is pulled down considerably by eight games played against some very weak teams in their league. They really had no choice in playing them. They would have won and blown out much better teams just as well. As bad as the score looked it took effort to not make them look twice as bad. Take those teams out of the equation and then you would get a better feel for the strength of schedule. SHC played a tougher over all average strength of teams but did not play the level of difficulty that SMS faced in the top teams they faced. Until they started league play they were rated at the top in Max Preps strength of schedule. It all depends on how you define tough.

You don't see me making predictions on this site because there are really too many variables involved in games. I am a strong proponent of the Timing and Match up factors in respect to basketball. It is possible a lesser teams on any given day to beat better teams. That possibility, however varies from team to team. A team that matches up well and is talented in their own respect will have a greater possibility of pulling off an upset while some teams probabilities are closer to none than slim. There is usually a reason why a so called lesser team knocks off a better team. Players, because they are not machines, do not always put up a consistent effort. For arguments sake lets divide it into A,B, C, D, and E levels of performance. Teams because they are comprised of players will also reflect a composite performance of it's players. That's where the Timing factor comes into play. What level of their ability did the team perform at on any particular day. You really need to see a team more than a few times to recognize what level of game they were bringing on any particular day.

The closer a teams are in ability the less variable in the level of their potential play is necessary to play much of a factor in a win or a lose for each team. If a team is vastly superior they can play a very poor game and still beat a team who is bringing their best. Where as if the team is close somewhat close in ability a good game will beat an average performance. It's about Timing. Do you catch a team on a subpar day when you are having a better day. The factors that contribute to having a good performance in contrast to a lesser one reflect a lot of variables including injuries and if the ball is dropping etc. Team depth helps to mitigate negative timing factors. If a player is having an off night someone else is available to pick up the slack. This is why teams that rely on a few players to carry them generally are more likely to be knocked off in extended playoffs. Team depth plays a factor in creating a more consistent performance long term.

As to the SHC vs SMS game in early January there were variable factors at play in the final score but not enough for me to conclude exactly the result of a future match. I just haven't watched SHC enough to evaluate what level of their potential they brought to that last game. I will instead just focus on some of the details of that game.

St Marys did take a 20 pt plus lead in early in the 2nd Quarter and expanded their line up to include the 11th and 12th player in the rotation. SHC had a lot of turn overs ( some unforced ) that contributed to that lead. It wasn't that SMS was playing that well. It was not one of their better games. They seem a bit out of sync. Then Mo changed sides and SHC began to play much better while SMS began to make a lot of uncharateristic mistakes. They sort of lost their focus. SHC took advantage of that to cut the lead. In the later part of the game SHC began to play much better and SMS didn't respond until the end of the game to keep their lead. In respect to my previous paragraphs I know that SMS did not have a good game. SHC played really well to cut the lead and at the end of the game but having not seen them enough I can not say if it was an A or a B effort on their part. I just recognized the drastic improvement from the game they were playing at the start. Their shots started to drop and the also took advantage of a few advantageous ball bounces. All I can say is that SHC did not get even SMS's B game at any time until the last couple min. That in no way diminishes SHC effort. I just personally need to see a team play more than the few times I have seen them play to evaluate their present potential. Good thing is that we might soon see a rematch that might clarify some things.

Willtalk,

I agree with your analysis of MaxPreps strength of schedule. It would be nice if you could see a graph of a teams' strength of schedule throughout the season, or even if they just kept track of league and non-league strength of schedule.

That said, I think the important point is that the WCAL and CCS Open teams play a consistently tougher schedule in January and February than teams in the other sections. This works to their advantage in the playoffs.

Will it be enough for SHC to beat SMS, should they meet in the playoffs? No, I don't think so. I think SMS wins that game by 20, if they meet. I always thought SHC would be in the Division 3 tournament, and I think they would have won that. They just got a little too hot in the CCS Open. I still see that as the problem with the NorCal Open format. I hope it someday becomes a Tournament of Champions.

WillTalk

We don't need to look at maxpreps to tell the story. Look at the teams SMS played and the teams SH played. Just about every team SH played is ranked in the top 25. Their league is the best league in the state. SI is ranked right behind SMS and beat Chaminade. I'm not going to list all these teams again you can refer to my previous post for that. Let's face the facts SHC has played a tougher schedule from top to bottom. Fact of the matter is we can't take the teams they blew out out of the equation that was there schedule. They weren't challenged as much as SHC was game in and game out. No team in NorCal was. Those are the facts. Really go look at both teams schedule and 90 percent of the teams that SHC has played would demolish the teams on SMS schedule. It's one thing to be a fan of SMS but let's not over look what is a fact not an opinion.

Not let's be clear THE SCORE AT THE END OF THE FIRST HALF WAS 41-28 SMS. Now for all my folks who can't add that's 13 points! Where do you get 20 from? (You can look that up on MaxPreps. First qtr was 22-9 (SMS) Second qtr 19-19, Third qtr 19-16 (SHC), 4th qtr 21-17 (SHC). SHC outscored SMS in the second half. So I don't want to hear about all these subs and all that non sense. It was a close game in every qtr except the 1st!

I'm confused when you say SHC played well in the end to cut the lead when they outscored SMS in the second half? Lol you guys are funny on here with your comments that don't have anything to do with FACTS and are all based on opinion.. Were any of you at that game? I was there. If not MaxPreps has the box score.

http://www.maxpreps.com/games/girls-basketball-winter-14-15/sacred-heart-cathedral-vs-st-marys/1-3-2015-M-4TEBCB1UmXnkVKSKTaKA.htm

Both teams played their entire bench so that's no excuse either. Just as SHC didn't get SMS's A game it goes both ways. Once again it's one thing to be a fan of a great team but at the same time let's give credit where credit is due. Yes SMS is a GREAT team and are the favorites but nobody has been crowned yet. Not to mention you all are stating several things that aren't facts. Click that MaxPreps link and look at the scores per qtr then come back and holler at me once you have some insight based on what actually happened.

.......I'll wait

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT