ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal Open Semis

bulldogmgc

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
St. Mary's-Stockton vs Pinewood
Miramonte vs Salesian

This is not first round sections. This is NorCal Open Semi-Finals. What are the chances of an upset in either one of these games?

Pinewood hung in there thru the first half, down 5, when they played Miramonte, before losing by 16. Salesian took St. Mary's to OT on SMS's home court. So both Pinewood and Salesian can play some ball. Well, at least they can when the ball is bouncing right for them. Pinewood beat Salesion by 6 early on. Yet, Pinewood also lost by 19 to Mitty in their section championship game before beating BOD to get into the semi-finals. Salesian pulled off an OT win vs Brookside Christian, the same team that just got slaughtered by Miramonte 109-41. Both Miramonte and St. Mary's-Stockton appear to be on a collision course to play eachother again in the NorCal Open Championship game. No team has come within 11 points vs Miramonte, and that team was from Oregon. Is Miramonte's undefeated record that good? St. Mary's has taken on competition across the country and outside of their OT victory vs Salesian when they were without a couple starters, but is their undefeated record that good, also? They beat Riverdale Baptist by 5 at TOC's. They had the OT victory vs Salesian just after sqeaking by Clovis West by 10, a team they beat earlier by 23 (and is seeded #2 for SoCal Open playoffs). Sure the rest of their victories were impressive and they have been #1 in the country from the start. But, they have shown with these close victories that they, too, can be beat if the ball is not bouncing in their favor. If anything, NorCal should feel proud that we have some of the best girls basketball in the country this year.

Nonetheless, tomorrow's semi-final games should be good and the championship game on Saturday even better.

Good luck to all teams! GO RAMS!!!

I predict blow outs in both games.
St Mary's and Miramonte by 20+. The gap seems to be very large between these 2 at this point in the season.

I think Aquira DeCosta is the key in Stockton, as Pinewood has no answer for her inside.

If Minyon Moore can get 40 again, Salesian certainly has a chance, but that's asking a lot two games in a row.

Should be fun ...

I predict blow outs in both games.
St Mary's and Miramonte by 20+. The gap seems to be very large between these 2 at this point in the season.

You may have it right in the St. Mary's game over Pinewood big, who as Clay said may not have an answer inside for not just Aquira but anyone who drives to the basket on SMS. Rebounds and put backs may be a big advantage for SMS. And SMS can match or top Pinewood in shooting the 3 pointer.

But I don't think Miramonte will beat Salesian by 20+ points. In fact, Miramonte may have to struggle to keep from getting upset with a confident Salesian team itching to get back to prove their overtime loss to SMS was not just because SMS was a bit short handed that day.

I think these are four of the best coaches, and it's not a coincidence their teams are all still standing. Because these coaches are good, I think all the teams will be well prepared and will be ready to battle.

SMS is the only team that has a clear overall experience, talent, and depth advantage over the rest of the field. So in my opinion the Carondelet game should be as close as anyone comes to upsetting SMS.

But that still has to be proven. All the teams left are capable of pulling the upset. I just wouldn't put my money on it.

Enjoy the games.

Last edited:
Salesian has really impressed over the last few years with how they battle and grind out games.

I still think it is a St. Mary's-Miramonte final, but I've been impressed with Salesian's overall program

I think Pinewood is going to have trouble with SMS press. This game will be won on turnovers and steals. DeCasta is hard to see over at the top of the press and with Cayton trapping with her with them quick hands. This game will be over by the middle third quarter because Pinewood will be worn down by SMS press.
MM will win this game by 3 pointers because your can't answer with a 2 to catch up. Once MM start raining 3's it do stop until the game is over. Salesian will have problems with the press because this will ware down Moore the main and only press breaker they have.

Norcal Championship will be up in the air because depends on streaks. SMS press wont work against MM because they are tall then them. MM will see over the press and score like BOD did on SMS but the difference they will finish and not shoot themselves out the game. But on the same note MM press wont work on SMS because they have to many ball handles. It will come down to who plays better the half court game and I will give that to MM with their great shooters that shoot 2 feet behind the line. MM plays the better man to man then SMS if you can believe that. I believe run with you hands up with no breakdown and closeout is not real man to man defense. That defense the SMS plays is just to cause havoc not man to cover anyone. SMS I expect Cayton to play the whole game without her in there I would give the game to MM. The keys of the game for SMS to win the game is to play out of control like they do best and let Cayton create opportunities for others and herself. The keys for MM is to slow down the game and make SMS play under control. The 3 pointers shooting stat will be low for both team because the are used to rims which are in the open and the rims are soft. So who will I pick in the end I will take MM because it will come to a control have court game which the play very well.

NORCAL OPEN CHAMPS WILL BE MM!!!!!

Nice analysis ... It will be an interesting game on the bigger court, which makes it harder to press.

As always in close games like this, there are a few key indicators: Foul trouble for crucial players; shooting percentage (especially threes); free throw percentage.

Another factor: Officials. In the NCS championship game, the crew was from up north, and they hadn't really seen anything like Miramonte and O'Dowd, and the whistles blew all game long. Hopefully the crew will be from a section used to high-quality girls' basketball, and won't call the game differently than the players have become used to over the season.

I think Pinewood is going to have trouble with SMS press. This game will be won on turnovers and steals. DeCasta is hard to see over at the top of the press and with Cayton trapping with her with them quick hands. This game will be over by the middle third quarter because Pinewood will be worn down by SMS press.
MM will win this game by 3 pointers because your can't answer with a 2 to catch up. Once MM start raining 3's it do stop until the game is over. Salesian will have problems with the press because this will ware down Moore the main and only press breaker they have.

Norcal Championship will be up in the air because depends on streaks. SMS press wont work against MM because they are tall then them. MM will see over the press and score like BOD did on SMS but the difference they will finish and not shoot themselves out the game. But on the same note MM press wont work on SMS because they have to many ball handles. It will come down to who plays better the half court game and I will give that to MM with their great shooters that shoot 2 feet behind the line. MM plays the better man to man then SMS if you can believe that. I believe run with you hands up with no breakdown and closeout is not real man to man defense. That defense the SMS plays is just to cause havoc not man to cover anyone. SMS I expect Cayton to play the whole game without her in there I would give the game to MM. The keys of the game for SMS to win the game is to play out of control like they do best and let Cayton create opportunities for others and herself. The keys for MM is to slow down the game and make SMS play under control. The 3 pointers shooting stat will be low for both team because the are used to rims which are in the open and the rims are soft. So who will I pick in the end I will take MM because it will come to a control have court game which the play very well.

NORCAL OPEN CHAMPS WILL BE MM!!!!!

Hey that is why they play the game. I think the odds could change a bit after tonight's games. But MM still has to beat Salesian. MM are the favorites to beat Salesian but they still have to do it.

And as I have always said any good team can upset another good team. To beat SMS I think the game has to be called tight. If you let the players decide the outcome, I would take the overall talent edge that SMS has on the nation, not just Norcal. I do give MM (if they get past Salesian) a hunger edge. Because we all know if MM is gonna win an open state championship, it will be this season, or just about never. SMS was very hungry last season, and if their seniors want it as much as Sabrina, Howard, and De los Santos, they have the better team in my opinion.

It is SMS state championship to lose. Everyone else is playing for 2nd place if you base it on overall talent, experience, tradition,team depth, and coaching.

They haven't hung as many banners on their wall not knowing how to win state championships.

Enjoy the games. And good luck to all the teams.

Paytc

Last edited:
Salesian has really impressed over the last few years with how they battle and grind out games.

I still think it is a St. Mary's-Miramonte final, but I've been impressed with Salesian's overall program

I think it is the safer bet. But MM still has to go out and put Salesian away. I think Salesian upsetting MM is far more likely than Pinewood upsetting SMS. Not that I'm choosing anyone to pull the upset. I think a SMS VS MM is the most likely matchup.

But the games will be decided on the basketball court, not in the court of public opinion.

Enjoy the games. And best of luck to each team.

Paytc

Last edited:
It's really a shame about officiating on the girls' side at this point in the season. I've beaten this dead horse a lot, but if there are six championship games and 18 officials for girls, there will be, let's say, nine men and nine women.

At best, the nine men are the best nine out of, say, 100 officials, or 91st percentile. The best nine women out of, say, 20 (and that's generous), are 55th percentile. How about just taking the top 18, regardless of gender, even if it means no women? Or having women do the boys' games in the same proportion as they do the girls' games?

Reactions: northbaybbguru
It's really a shame about officiating on the girls' side at this point in the season. I've beaten this dead horse a lot, but if there are six championship games and 18 officials for girls, there will be, let's say, nine men and nine women.

At best, the nine men are the best nine out of, say, 100 officials, or 91st percentile. The best nine women out of, say, 20 (and that's generous), are 55th percentile. How about just taking the top 18, regardless of gender, even if it means no women? Or having women do the boys' games in the same proportion as they do the girls' games?

I CONCUR 100%....that's a HUGE pet peeve for me......why do the associations think that there has to be females on the officiating crews of hi-level games for girls.

JUST GIVE ME THE 3 BEST REGARDLESS OF GENDER!!!!

If a female ref is the best I have no problem with her doing the game. But don't just put a female ref in the game because it's girls.

I hope that each of the four teams in the Open semis play its best game of the season tonight. I have loyalties, but I'm a fan of high school girls' basketball first and foremost.

SMS starting out slow. Pinewood off to a great start hitting a 3 and an easy 2 to take a 5-0 lead over SMS very early 1st quarter.

And as soon as I post my last post SMS press doing its thing. SMS scores 2 quick buckets and from my early perception I don't think Pinewood will be able to weather the SMS press but they are sure hitting their 3's. SMS down now 4-14. Pinewood is on FIRE!

Not going to comment on the refereeing. Just not going to. But, rumor in the stands is that 2 refs are from the CCS.

Game tied at 21 with less than a minute left in the 1st. Sierra Smith dribbles, blocked shot, recovers, dribbles, and in for the layup.

End of 1st - SMS 23 Pinewood 21.

Aquira having a good game on the boards and in the post on offense. Pinewood 3's are keeping them in this game.

Halftime: SMS 43 Pinewood 37

Aquira just too strong! Pinewood 3's keep falling. 6 point game with 3:56 left.

Pinewood's 3's give Pinewood the lead with just over a minute left in the 3rd. SMS roars back. But, Pinewood gets the last shot to end the 3rd (a 2) with the score SMS 59 Pinewood 58. Pinewood has got to be above 80% from beyond the arc.

SMS timeout as Pinewood up by 4 ... 63-59 with 6 min left. If anyone is going to get SMS back in this it's Aquira.

Coach G needs to get his team to play man to man D to stop the 3.

SMS offense just not there tonight with exception of Aquira.

Pinewood player #30 leaves floor with an injury.

Pinewood milking the clock daring SMS to foul them. Score is 71-64 with 1:53 left and SMS with the ball.

Cayton missed 3 to tie it. Aquira called for the foul on the rebound. Pinewood misses the FT. SMS rebounds. Does not call timeout! WTF! Tudor for a long 3 ... no good.

Pinewood wins 72-69.

And no one expected an upset? Pinewood's 3's were just too much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT