ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal Top 10

NCallie1

Seasoned Veteran
Nov 15, 2022
Who does everyone have? My preseason first try.

1. Mitty
2. Folsom
3. St Marys Stockton
4. Salesian
5. Piedmont
6. Vanden
7 Carondelet
8. McClatchy
9. Oakland Tech
10. Pinewood

1. Mitty
2. SMS
3. Clovis West
4. Folsom
5. Piedmont
6. Pinewood
7. CLET
8. O dowd
8. Salesian
9. Antelope
10. Oakland Tech
11. Moreau
12. Vanden
13. Cardinal Newman
14. Mcclatchy
15. Oak Ridge
16. Acalanes
17. SRV
18. Marin Catholic
19. Saint Francis
20. Heritage
21. Alameda
22. Whitney
23. Palo Alto
24. Alameda

Reactions: observer22
1. Mitty
2. SMS
3. Clovis West
4. Folsom
5. Piedmont
6. Pinewood
7. CLET
8. O dowd
8. Salesian
9. Antelope
10. Oakland Tech
11. Moreau
12. Vanden
13. Cardinal Newman
14. Mcclatchy
15. Oak Ridge
16. Acalanes
17. SRV
18. Marin Catholic
19. Saint Francis
20. Heritage
21. Alameda
22. Whitney
23. Palo Alto
24. Alameda
You did a pretty good job. After seeing teams and scores would update to:

1. Mitty
2. CW (if they are north)
3. SMS
4. Folsom
5. Salesian
6. Piedmont
7. Antelope
8. Carondelet
9. Oak-tech
10. Tie - Sacred Heart and Cardinal Newman

Reactions: OnBall8

1. Mitty
3. SMS
4. Folsom
5. Salesian
6. Piedmont
7. Antelope
8. Carondelet
9. Oak-tech
How good is Pinewood this year? Not even in the top 11?

How good is Pinewood this year? Not even in the top 11?
I left them off because they haven't played a game yet. You are correct, can't discount them. From what I heard how good they will be will be dependent on what transfers they have which are eligible.

Well, SRV topped Pinewood on the road tonight 63-50. PW will have to get better to crack the top 10. Maybe the transfers will help?

Last edited:
Well, SRV topped Pinewood on the road tonight 63-50. PW will have to get better to crack the top 10. Maybe the transfers will help?
I really wanted to watch this game since I thought it followed the SHC/Paly game, which was at 6:30 at Pinewood. I guess this game was the early one on the slate so I only caught the final two minutes or so. And the game was pretty much out of reach at that point.

I heard the game was more lopsided than the final score indicates. I saw Pinewood this fall. Significant drop-off without Ladine.

I heard the game was more lopsided than the final score indicates. I saw Pinewood this fall. Significant drop-off without Ladine.
They were heavy usage with Ladine last year. More than they have been with some of their past stars. I'm sure they figure it out at some point, but early signs are I started them too high.

Nice win for SRV!

They were heavy usage with Ladine last year. More than they have been with some of their past stars. I'm sure they figure it out at some point, but early signs are I started them too high.

Nice win for SRV!
Beating Pinewood under any circumstances is nice, but this isn't close to the team Pinewood will have on the floor in January-March. Not only were they missing two transfers for this game, but also their senior point guard (illness) and their senior center (knee).

Maybe I’m just old school, but I’m not going to feel sorry for a team who has transfers who aren’t eligible yet. I’m sure Pinewood will be fine.

Maybe I’m just old school, but I’m not going to feel sorry for a team who has transfers who aren’t eligible yet. I’m sure Pinewood will be fine.
Band-aiding going on over there. A certain San Jose school eating their lunch on middle school kids coming up.

1. Mitty
3. SMS
4. Folsom
5. Salesian
6. Piedmont
7. Antelope
8. Carondelet
9. Oak-tech
New Order

1. Mitty (I know, the loss, but give it a week and they are a completely different team)
3. Piedmont
4. Folsom
5. SMS
6. Salesian
7. Antelope
8. Sacred Heart
9. Oak-tech
10. SRV

New Order

1. Mitty (I know, the loss, but give it a week and they are a completely different team)
3. Piedmont
4. Folsom
5. SMS
6. Salesian
7. Antelope
8. Sacred Heart
9. Oak-tech
10. SRV
Head to head is head to head. Piedmont is #1 until they lose cause that's how ranking work. Also, Antelope is a little low here and could possibly be top 3-4. I think SHC is also very low.

Reactions: Scott2138
Head to head is head to head. Piedmont is #1 until they lose cause that's how ranking work. Also, Antelope is a little low here and could possibly be top 3-4. I think SHC is also very low.
That's fair on Piedmont. SHC lost to Salesian with the game never being in doubt. I can tell you they are not better than Folsom and SMS. How high can they be placed?

New Order

3. Piedmont
4. Folsom
5. SMS
6. Salesian
7. Antelope
8. Sacred Heart
9. Oak-tech
10. SRV
Let's try again.
1. Mitty
2. CW
3. Piedmont
4. Folsom
5. SMS
6. Salesian
7. Sacred Heart
8. Oak-tech
9. Carondelet
10. SRV

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Looks right to me.

A little troubling that there are only TWO teams on that list from CCS. Selecting the CCS Open field should be all kinds of fun.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Let's try again.
1. Mitty
2. CW
3. Piedmont
4. Folsom
5. SMS
6. Salesian
7. Sacred Heart
8. Oak-tech
9. Carondelet
10. SRV
SMS is much improved from when I saw them at the beginning of the year. I was impressed with their play in AZ and at the WCJ. They took Sidwell to the wire in AZ and led Etiwanda at half. If they keep on this upward trajectory thru the end of the season they will be a tough out in the NorCal Open and dare I say a sleeper*** (lol) to represent the North in the OPEN championship.

***its just hard for me to use "sleeper" and SMS in the same sentence... haha

Looks right to me.

A little troubling that there are only TWO teams on that list from CCS. Selecting the CCS Open field should be all kinds of fun.
Also only 2 teams from the SJS. 4 from NCS, 1 Oakland & 1 Central.

do you think Tech is open caliber? I haven't seen them enough to say yes or no.
I would go the following for Nor Cal Open:

1. Mitty
2. CW
3. Piedmont
4. Folsom
5. SMS
6. Salesian

Next in-line would be SHC and Oak-tech.

Last edited:
I know it's been mentioned here before, but I do believe Pinewood will be CCS Open ready by mid-February. Between injuries and transfers, their pre-season has been way down. Things will start to turn for them this week. Moreau Catholic and Salesian on tap, then their league schedule begins. But that's still just 3 teams as guaranteed for open.

Reactions: TheHillZ
I would go the following for Nor Cal Open:

1. Mitty
2. CW
3. Piedmont
4. Folsom
5. SMS
6. Salesian

Next in-line would be SHC and Oak-tech.
Piedmont beat Mitty... you'd better flip flop them. It doesn't matter if Cheli was playing or not. The game was played and the result is the result.

Piedmont's Max Preps schedule has them playing Mitty again on MLK day. If Mitty was to avenge their loss on that day then put them ahead.

* as a side note why would Piedmont agree to that game? I get why Mitty would want to play it but if I'm Piedmont no way...

Last edited:
Piedmont beat Mitty... you'd better flip flop them. It doesn't matter if Cheli was playing or not. The game was played and the result is the result.

Piedmont's Max Preps schedule has them playing Mitty again on MLK day. If Mitty was to avenge their loss on that day then put them ahead.

* as a side note why would Piedmont agree to that game? I get why Mitty would want to play it but if I'm Piedmont no way...
I wouldnt be surprised if they asked BOD to change the schedule up.

Clovis West has just moved up the MaxPrep national rankings to #11 this week. With the prospect of an OPEN date/game AT Clovis West, that 1/16 game looms even larger! Of course CW may just earn the 1 seed regardless of the rematch result.

Hear ya, but to my eyes Mitty is better. It wasn't just Cheli out for that game. We'll soon know I guess. You know who I will be banking on.

You are right, no idea why Coach B would take that game.

Reactions: TheHillZ
Hear ya, but to my eyes Mitty is better. It wasn't just Cheli out for that game. We'll soon know I guess. You know who I will be banking on.

You are right, no idea why Coach B would take that game.
Because Piedmont won't be in the CIF Open unless they elect to be in the Open from what I know. When the NCS submits their list to the CIF they will put Piedmont behind the Six NCS Open Teams. I could be wrong. It is part of the agreement with the NCS when the open was implemented in the first place. I think Guru mentioned it earlier. They will be in the middle of the D1 bracket if it plays out how I believe. Something else to note, their only D4 competiton Marin Catholic, is now division III this season. I wonder if there is a clause in the NCS bylaws to allow a team to Opt into the NCS open if otherwise inelligble.

Clovis West has just moved up the MaxPrep national rankings to #11 this week. With the prospect of an OPEN date/game AT Clovis West, that 1/16 game looms even larger! Of course CW may just earn the 1 seed regardless of the rematch result.

Who has Clovis West played to calibrate a #11 national ranking? Maybe I missed it, I didn't see anyone on their schedule cracking any of the various top 25 list (ESPN, Maxprep, Scorebook, etc)

Who has Clovis West played to calibrate a #11 national ranking? Maybe I missed it, I didn't see anyone on their schedule cracking any of the various top 25 list (ESPN, Maxprep, Scorebook, etc)
After a close look at their schedule you appear correct. I see one very high quality win at home against Folsom. I would love to see them play some of the CA powers on the road or at a neutral site to better prove their ranking.

After a close look at their schedule you appear correct. I see one very high quality win at home against Folsom. I would love to see them play some of the CA powers on the road or at a neutral site to better prove their ranking.
SI20 showcase would be a perfect time for that. I see Sopak has a nice list of teams participating.

SI20 showcase would be a perfect time for that. I see Sopak has a nice list of teams participating.
That was a great event last season. What's the date on SI20? Would be super cool to see CW vs Mitty, or CW vs Piedmont. Worse case maybe CW vs Salesian?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT