10:00 Carondelet jv vs Folsom jv
11:30 Valley Vista vs Pinewood
1:00 C-Let vs Moreau
2:30 Mater Dei vs SMS
4:00 Clovis West vs Marin Catholic
5:30 Pinole vs Antelope
7:00 Salesian vs Folsom
8:30 Oakland Tech vs Heritage
A lot of good teams, not many good match-ups. Aside from Mater Dei/SMS and Salesian/Folsom the rest of the games are probably blowouts. Curious how these match-ups were created? Major head scratchers

Reactions: CoachAlvarez
Carondelet Gym
8:30 Marin Catjholic JV vs Heritage JV
they are playing at de la salle

Carondelet Gym
8:30 Marin Catjholic JV vs Heritage JV
Switch 2 games and the lineup would be better...

I would have liked to see Marin Catholic vs Heritage. Both teams are potential NCS Open teams.

I would have liked to see Oakland Tech vs Clovis West as both teams are NorCal Open potential teams.

It seems to me the result of THOSE TWO matchups would have seeding implications.

The 2 games they are going with look like mismatches.

Reactions: AtomicDawg1911

I would have liked to see Marin Catholic vs Heritage. Both teams are potential NCS Open teams.

I would have liked to see Oakland Tech vs Clovis West as both teams are NorCal Open potential teams.

It seems to me the result of THOSE TWO matchups would have seeding implications.

Great call. I was under the impression Mitty is in this event also? No Piedmont?

The games at DLS
12:30. Marin Catholic Fr vs Mitty Fr
2:00 Priory vs Lick-Wilmerding
3:30 Lincoln Stockton vs Granada
5:00 Dublin vs Miramonte
6:30 Alameda vs Cornerstone
8:00 Piedmont vs Acalanes

Reactions: carsonjrt
A lot of good teams, not many good match-ups. Aside from Mater Dei/SMS and Salesian/Folsom the rest of the games are probably blowouts. Curious how these match-ups were created? Major head scratchers
I personally think the Moreau Catholic/CLet game is close. But I guess it depends on your definition of close and blowout. They just played SMS within 15 and we consider SMS a NorCal top 2 or 3 team.

Reactions: CoachAlvarez
Exactly. Teams not wanting to be challenged obviously. No one paying to get in wants to see blowouts all day.

Clovis West vs Oakland Tech would be a great rematch from last year.

Some misses on the schedule, but I also think Piedmont-Acalanes is an intersting one too. Some good guard matchups. Common opponent of Salesian. Piedmont won by about 10 with a big secon half. Acalanes lost by 2. I think Acalanes can give them a little push

Reactions: PatCarrillo
Some misses on the schedule, but I also think Piedmont-Acalanes is an intersting one too. Some good guard matchups. Common opponent of Salesian. Piedmo won by about 10 with a big secon half. Acalanes lost by 2. I think Acalanes can give them a little push
I think Acalanes can definitely give Piedmont a push and dare I say...upset?. See my post on the SI20 showcase thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Streak One
1-Piedmont
2-Mitty
3-Clovis West
4-Folsom
5-Salesian
6-SMS
7-Oakland Tech
8-Sacred Heart
9-Cardinal Newman
10-Antelope

Marin Catholic looked really good vs CW yesterday. Close game till deep in the game

1-Piedmont
2-Mitty
3-Clovis West
4-Folsom
5-Salesian
6-SMS
7-Oakland Tech
8-Sacred Heart
9-Cardinal Newman
10-Antelope

Marin Catholic looked really good vs CW yesterday. Close game till deep in the game
NorCal Open
1. Piedmont
2. Mitty ( might argue CW if they go undefeated)
3. CW
4. SJS D1 winner
5. NCS Open Winner
6. SJS D1 runner up
7. O Tech
8. Sacred Heart Cath

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Curious, what would that argument sound like? They went undefeated with a cupcake schedule? Yeah, they beat Folsom, at home, on Dec 3rd.
I have Mitty ahead even when they finish undefeated… but that is the argument. It will have huge implications though as either CW is coming to San Jose or Mitty is heading down to Fresno. But they will be 2 and 3.

Mitty is playing well considering that their two best players are out and the Los Gatos transfer has yet to play a game. Frosh 6-1 C McKenna Wolizcko has missed the last two and junior 6-2 PG Morgan Cheli has missed two-thirds of the season (including their two losses). Junior 6-0 forward, Belle Bramer, sits on the bench next to Cheli
game after game.

The Monarchs won the last two nights by 34 and 49 points. Last night they crushed Valley Christian, 85-36. Mitty hit 47% of their three point attempts.

Can Piedmont (Division 4) be put into the NCS Open Division and NorCal Open Division? My understanding, being that they are in D4, therefore, can not be bump to open in either NCS or NorCals.

Can Piedmont (Division 4) be put into the NCS Open Division and NorCal Open Division? My understanding, being that they are in D4, therefore, can not be bump to open in either NCS or NorCals.
That was my understanding too. I know it is certain for NCS. I thought it was also true of NorCals too though

That was my understanding too. I know it is certain for NCS. I thought it was also true of NorCals too though
Pinewood is Division 5 and was in Open last year. The NCS does not have power over the CIF. CIF takes the best 6 to 8 teams. Usually 2 from each section NCS, SJS and CCS.

Reactions: blex20
They can't be in the NCS Open but they can be in the NorCal Open.
Wait, wait, wait....they can't be in the NCS open, but they can be in the state finals open? If that's not the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Here's the thing that bothers me about this. Piedmont has traditionally been a competitive program and since Gardere has been at the helm, even more so. But it's a small school and their chance at a state championship will be hindered because they have a once in a lifetime team. Yet, a school like X-high school from SF or Oakland get to go to D4 and 5 divisions and win state championships.

I get what competitive equity is supposed to do but it's getting stupid. Look at the divisions right now. D5 is really D6, D4 is a joke and is easily a D5 division and so on and so on.

Wait, wait, wait....they can't be in the NCS open, but they can be in the state finals open? If that's not the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Here's the thing that bothers me about this. Piedmont has traditionally been a competitive program and since Gardere has been at the helm, even more so. But it's a small school and their chance at a state championship will be hindered because they have a once in a lifetime team. Yet, a school like X-high school from SF or Oakland get to go to D4 and 5 divisions and win state championships.

I get what competitive equity is supposed to do but it's getting stupid. Look at the divisions right now. D5 is really D6, D4 is a joke and is easily a D5 division and so on and so on.
the high school from oakland and sf could be placed in the open if they were good enough.
they did win the 'open' back before it was the open and was D1.

NorCal Open
1. Piedmont
2. Mitty ( might argue CW if they go undefeated)
3. CW
4. SJS D1 winner
5. NCS Open Winner
6. SJS D1 runner up
7. O Tech
8. Sacred Heart Cath
Well done. One adjustment is if NCS runner-up is Salesian I think they get in over SHC given the head-to-head. Another thing to remember is Norcals only took 7 last season for Open.

Well done. One adjustment is if NCS runner-up is Salesian I think they get in over SHC given the head-to-head. Another thing to remember is Norcals only took 7 last season for Open
Don’t even get me started on this…. If Salesian is a bubble Open team I can guarantee you they will not be placed in the Open. Trust me

I would not put Piedmont in the small school category simply because they have the extension program which allows them to attract basketball players in from all over. Coach B is a great coach which draws kids also. I might be wrong, but I don't believe 1 girl in their starting 5 resides in Piedmont, and their 6th girl recently transferred from the Sac area. For these reasons they are closer to a private such as O'dowd/Salesian.

Last edited:
Well done. One adjustment is if NCS runner-up is Salesian I think they get in over SHC given the head-to-head. Another thing to remember is Norcals only took 7 last season for Open.
As a SHC fan, I support this message! 🤣 I'd prefer not be one and done in open vs Piedmont. They have a better chance winning a couple in D1

Section playoffs and CIF NorCal Brackets should be released on the same day.

It’s all good if you think it’s dumb that’s just how I think it should be. You know your fate before sections even a happen. A 6 seed winning the CCS open shouldn’t all of a sudden be in the NorCal open because of an incredible 2 game run. Bottom seeds don’t have to worry about getting bumped from section success and top teams no longer get rewarded for getting beat early and dropping a division. You know where you stand before the playoffs begin. The crying can all be done before a playoff game ever begins. No more “ why were we punished for winning a section title! “ 1 seed in SJS can’t say “ it’s all good we will be D1 in NorCal’s and win a state championship now” they still go open because that’s what their 25 game resume said they were.

Don’t even get me started on this…. If Salesian is a bubble Open team I can guarantee you they will not be placed in the Open. Trust me
Any context on this? Did you think they belonged in open last season?

Curious, what would that argument sound like? They went undefeated with a cupcake schedule? Yeah, they beat Folsom, at home, on Dec 3rd.
I would go Mitty ahead also given their schedule and willingness to play many of the top teams in CA and the nation at the TOC. When you compare schedules it's not close.

I think Acalanes can definitely give Piedmont a push and dare I say...upset?. See my post on the SI20 showcase thread.
I was able to watch this recording last evening. It looked for a while in the first half that an upset could happen. Coach B made great adjustments throughout the game which the Acalanes coaching staff did not match.

Also aside from Acalanes PG Lacanlale, who I would put in the elite category, the rest of the girls fall into the not ready for prime time category. Coaching, grit and toughness won this game for Piedmont. I'm very impressed how Piedmont has battled through adversity all season. Rooting for their storybook run to continue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT