ADVERTISEMENT

North / South State Bowl Games Tally

FBAddict

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2002
The first series of games for the North / South State Bowl Games are done.

D-7AA was won by Ferndale. Fairfax looked strong in the beginning but Ferndale changed their offensive strategy and strengthened their defense. Ferndale 29-21

D-6AA St. Vincent looked pretty strong throughout the game although it was close in the first half. SV 27-6

D-2AA was the first win by the South when La Serna overwhelmed Grant. Grant's QB, Alexander, was hurt late in the first half and that was a real game changer. La Serna 21-19

Tally
North 2, South 1

Reactions: Defense_Rules
The second series of games are done.

D-5AA was won by Ramona Rams. Pleasant Valley looked interesting only for their first possession and after that it was Ramona all the way, until junk time, winning for the south 35-7.

Soquel convincingly won D-4AA against Jurupa Hills for their first time to win any sectional, regional or state championship games in their history. They win for the North 28-7.

D-1AA Mission Viejo beats DLS 27-14 for a another win for the south.

Tally
North 3, South 3 tied.

Reactions: Defense_Rules
The overall tally throughout the history of SBG games shows the North keeping a slight lead as of Friday night by 54%.

Total Number of games 144
North 78
South 66

The third series of games ends is a sweep by the North.

D7-A Strathmore dominates in their win over Bell Garden 42-7. Although in CS section, Strathmore is representing the North again this year.

D6-A Colusa had a slow start but ending strong with a 33-17 win over SDS' Sweetwater.

D3-AA Acalanes wins a physical game against LAS section Birmingham 35-23. The Dons 4th quarter conditioning made the difference.

Tally
North 6, South 3

The 3pm series ends in another NorCal sweep

D5-A Woodland Christian beat Banning 23-13
D4-A Palma dominates Mission Oak 42-19
D1-A Folsom comes up big in the fourth quarter to beat St. Bonaventure and win their fifth title 20-14

North 9-South 3

Reactions: FBAddict
The South has played all their LAS section games and that section's 3 teams are blanked.

Likewise, the one SDS section team comes away with a loss.

The last series of this season is almost done.

D2-A Central Valley Christian beats Los Gatos 45-42 for a South win

D3-A Marin Catholic wins over Mayfair for a North win.

We have the Serra vs Mater Dei game going on now. I could assume MD is going to win but I wont dishonor Serra' effort by citing a MD win. I'll finish this count after the game finish.

North 10 South 4

We have the Serra vs Mater Dei game going on now. I could assume MD is going to win but I wont dishonor Serra' effort by citing a MD win. I'll finish this count after the game finish.

North 10 South 4
Once again the North reigns supreme. Well done men !

• Haha
Reactions: aztecpadre
While North has overall edge, it’s worth noting that the top 5 ….. open and D1 and D2 …. Is dominated by the south… interested to think about

Reactions: remc
The South has played all their LAS section games and that section's 3 teams are blanked.

Likewise, the one SDS section team comes away with a loss.

LA City Section teams combined for one offensive score in the second half of their respective games. They also got a safety on a blocked punt for a total of 9 points. Contrast that to 48 first-half points.

Do they though? They have to manipulate the system to reach these results.Folsom,the 3rd best team in NorCal needed a last second TD to beat Socals 28th to 30th best team

You know he's being facetious. The win gap was caused by the CIF's decision to place Clovis North in NorCal. The games would have been more even otherwise.

That said, neither DLS nor Folsom were as good as in year's past. Maybe the Spartans will be better with their returners, who knows. MV was a well-balanced team with a lot of talent.

But Folsom only has one playmaker at the moment. The SB pass defense did do a nice job today, but I thought Folsom's offense was a little conservative until they had to open things up more. The Seraphs were more aggressive in their plays overall and they benefited from that.

There was a gap between Serra and the next two. Neither scored in the first half against the Padres. In fact, neither scored in the first 3 quarters with DLS getting shut out altogether. The Spartan apologists will claim that it was because they weren't committed to the veer at the time, but they ran veer. Serra stuffed it. They stuffed everything DLS did.

North 10 South 4
As assumed and expected, Mater Dei handedly won the game. But I have to hand it it to the Padres for putting together a very unconventional offensive effort. And they had moments of defensive brilliance. 35-0

The weekend had a lot great games. The total tally was a win for the North but the top divisions were won by the South.

All divisions
North 10
South 5

Top 4 divisions D-Open through D2-AA
South 3
North 1

Here are the results according to the sections.
CCS 6 divisions, 4 teams made it to the SBG games, and 2 teams won. SBG win rate 50%
-D4-AA Soquel 28, Jurupa Hills 7
-D4-A Palma 42, Mission Oak 19
CS 6 divisions, with 4 teams moving to SBG, having 2 wins - SBG win rate 50%
-D2-A Central Valley Christian 45, Los Gatos 42
-D7-A Strathmore 42, Bell Gardens 7 (Strathmore represented the North)
LAS 4 divisions, 3 in SBG with no wins. SBG win rate 0%. (The LAS section had the best win rate in the SoCal regionals but tied for the worst win rate at the SBG games)
NCS 8 divisions, 5 in SBG with 4 wins, SBG win rate 80%. (The NCS section had the best overall success this year in the state bowl games.)
-D3-AA Acalanes 35, Birmingham 23
-D3-A Marin Catholic 38, Mayfair 18
-D6-AA St. Vincent 27, Wasco 6
-D7-AA Ferndale 29, Fairfax 21
NS 4 divisions, 2 teams in the SBG games and 1 win - SBG 50% win rate.
-D6-A Colusa 33, Sweetwater 17
OS 1 division and no SBG representation.
SDS 6 divisions, 1 team in the SBG games, no wins SBG rate 0% (This section had the worst win rate at the regionals [17%] not including the one team sections [SFS & OS] and tied the LAS section for the worst SBG win rate.)
SFS 1 division and no SBG representation.
SJS 7 divisions, with 3 teams in SBG with 2 wins - RBG win rate 67% (This is the second best SBG win rate among the sections.)
-D1-A Folsom 20, St. Bonaventure 14
-D5-A Woodland Christian 23, Banning 13
SS 14 divisions, with 8 teams in the SBG games and 4 wins - RBG win rate 50%
-D-Open Mater Dei 35, Serra 0
-D1-AA Mission Viejo 27, De La Salle 14
-D2-AA La Serna 21, Grant 19
-D5-AA Ramona 35, Pleasant Valley 7

The overall tally throughout the history of SBG games shows the North keeping a slight lead over the South by 56%.

Total Number of games 153
North 85
South 68

Last edited:
Congratulations to both Soquel and Palma. Way to represent the PCAL!!!

Soquel- Played consistently great football all season, and once the transfers became eligible, they were unstoppable.

Palma- Was 0-5 (due to forfeits) but was able to right the ship. And play their best football at the end of the year. They beat some quality teams on their way to the their state bowl victory.

Congratulations to both Soquel and Palma. Way to represent the PCAL!!!

Soquel- Played consistently great football all season, and once the transfers became eligible, they were unstoppable.

Palma- Was 0-5 (due to forfeits) but was able to right the ship. And play their best football at the end of the year. They beat some quality teams on their way to the their state bowl victory.

Palma was able to "right the ship"?

When was this evident? When they lost to Monterey? When they squeaked by Hollister? When they lost to Soquel? When they got whipped by Salinas?

Or only in the playoffs where their competition was not as good as the teams I mentioned above (sans Hollister)?

Last edited:

When was this evident? When they lost to Monterey? When they squeaked by Hollister? When they lost to Soquel? When they got whipped by Salinas?

Or only in the playoffs where their competition was not as good as the teams I mentioned above?
Competitive equity in a nutshell. Should really jus go back to classification by enrollment. These 'championships' these days should all come with an asterisk sans the top 3-4 divisions

Or only in the playoffs where their competition was not as good as the teams I mentioned above?
Too early @Cal 14 😂.

Reactions: Cal 14
Flipping through the channels this weekend, I was only able to catch part of the DLS game and the Folsom game. I hadn't seen DLS play in a while, but one thing I noticed was the running discipline wasn't on the same level as in years past...ball carriers running towards the defenders, rather than running off of the blocker's leverage. It happens from time to time, of course, but seemed to be every running play I saw from DLS.

A couple of things stick out from the Folsom game. In the first half, their QB scrambled, stretched the ball over the end zone for a TD, came down and the ball came loose in the end zone (post-breaking the plane), right in front of a ref, and they called it a touchback, rather than the correct call of touchdown for Folsom. Secondly, I can't second guess the Folsom coach for going for 2 pts, down 13-14 late. But, after the defense did what they needed to do to give the ball back to Folsom's offense (and they scored with 20 seconds left on the clock), now up 19-14, not going for 2 pts puzzles me a bit. The Seraphs were coming off of a dramatic last second win the week before, and, now against Folsom, a TD plus PAT wins the Seraphs the game, rather than ties the game to force OT. In the end, it is all moot, as the better team won the game...I just thought it was interesting.

Let's not get carried away by Serra though. Their 12-0 record coming into the game would have been duplicated by a good number of So Cal teams playing the same schedule.

Serra would not have qualified for the Open bracket in So Cal. They would have been a #5 or #6 Trinity League team this year and also in 2021 and 2022.

All of the other TL teams performed better vs. SJB and MD over the past 3 years than Serra did. Serra only managed 7 points over 3 years which is much worse that all the other TL schools.

Let's not get carried away by Serra though. Their 12-0 record coming into the game would have been duplicated by a good number of So Cal teams playing the same schedule.

Serra would not have qualified for the Open bracket in So Cal. They would have been a #5 or #6 Trinity League team this year and also in 2021 and 2022.

All of the other TL teams performed better vs. SJB and MD over the past 3 years than Serra did. Serra only managed 7 points over 3 years which is much worse that all the other TL schools.
On the whole, I get this perspective 100%. However, If one removes SJB and MD from the scenario, we all could debate about the quality of teams (Cen10, Santa Margarita, Serra, etc.) until we are blue in the face...and it wouldn't matter until no doubt was left on the field...this year. The whole "over the past 3 years" thing bears no weight with me. If I want to know who the best team is *this year*, I don't care who won the section title in 1977 (admittedly an exaggerated point).

MD and SJB changed the CA HS landscape. No one can argue that. And they did so within the CIF rules (note, I'm not claiming that to be within the spirit of the rules). With that said, I'd like to ask a few questions to the group:

1- If competing with MD/SJB is the goal for NorCal, is Serra positioned geographically in the best position to do so?

2- If not Serra, who/where? (in a follow up to #1)

3- Does creating a few (2/3/4) super teams throughout CA do more good than harm, in terms of having the most individual students succeed?

4- There is no silver bullet in football. There are so many variables that determine success. IMO, the three highest variables are talent, coaching ability and leadership. But at some point, one has to recognize that the Super Bowl champs would beat the 6 year old Pop Warner Champs of Cleveland (albeit an extremely exaggerated point towards talent). With that said, does eliminating the MD's and SJB's of the football world from the CIF do better for the overall health of HS football than keeping the MD's and SJB's in the CIF?

I honestly do not know the answers to any of these questions. But I firmly believe these need to be addressed by the decision makers...and not from the perspective of what's best for the section commissioners making six figures (read: themselves), but from the perspective of CA HS football.

A clear bottom line when the dust settles: If the top ten units from SoCal were pitted against the top ten outfits from NorCal (1 through 10) SoCal would dominate. Why? They have far more teams and far more outstanding teams. It's math. It's reality. It's painful. The equity equation evens out the CIF competition as does section playoff action. Time for another margarita. Ole!

Reactions: bella123 and ararar
Cal, I had a feeling you would jump on this..
Palma went from 3-2 to 0-5. With 2 games there were going to be under dogs (Salinas and Soquel) and 2 "toss Ups" Aptos & Hollister. They had to win 3 of their last 5. From that point on they went 8-2 (losing to Salinas and Soquel) Beating their archrival , Hollister twice, wining a CCS championship, a Nor-Cal Bowl Game and a state bowl game.

This team was on the verge of losing a 38 year long playoff streak. Give credit where credit is due. He turned around a a bad situation and convinced a bunch of 15-18 boys that all was not loss, and went a great run. Palam found their running game with improved offensive line play and nice freshman RB. Dare I say he "righted the ship"

This Palma team ranks 4-5th in the PCAL behind Salinas, Soquel, Monterey and maybe Carmel. It is not even in the discussion of the all time great teams Palma has had. But yes I stand by my statement they righted the ship and now have CCS III championship and 2 state bowl game victories.

Tbf to Palma, their HC is a great guy and was genuinely just super humbled and grateful to finally have a shot at state after 30 years.

And they did only beat MA by 7, their NorCal opponent by 10. And iirc they were tied at the half in their state game.

They prob ultimately were in the right division despite how it all went down.
I think Hughson and MA were on par with them, but Palma was the favorite in both matchups. The rest weren't so much on the same level. Soquel didn't really have to play anyone tough either. Thats the way it goes with these competitive equity formats. Soquel vs Palma probably would have been a better game than the SoCal matchups they were given.

The truth is this Palma team was below the norm for Palma championship team standards, but they were put on an oppurtunistic path due to the forfeits and losses. They won as they should have and you can't fault them for that. They deserve to be celebrated within the community and to enjoy their state championship. I personally think the exposure is great for the area. To have 2 teams from the same league win a state championship is awesome.

How its celebrated needs to be put in perspective. We should not parade these teams around as the all mighty, but we also shouldnt try to bring them down. I would imagine Salinas high feels shunned. Alisal probably feels they were not given a fair opportunity. The format is what it is and the best team does not always get the best oppurtunity. Palma knows this first hand more than any team in the county.

Competitive equity in a nutshell. Should really jus go back to classification by enrollment. These 'championships' these days should all come with an asterisk sans the top 3-4 divisions
I wouldn't mind divisions by enrollment if all sections adopted the same enrollment divisions. What I dislike about divisions by enrollment is all the subsequent conditions that smell just like our current equity systems. Conditions like - private school conditions (and I'm not referring to the all boys or all girls double enrollment) that force them in higher divisions. Or conditions for teams that win too much - they have to move up divisions. Al those types of conditions are nothing more than the equity system.

The equity system is the fairest system, but the enrollment system, if done with purity, is also fine.

Last edited:
I think Hughson and MA were on par with them, but Palma was the favorite in both matchups. The rest weren't so much on the same level. Soquel didn't really have to play anyone tough either. Thats the way it goes with these competitive equity formats. Soquel vs Palma probably would have been a better game than the SoCal matchups they were given.

The truth is this Palma team was below the norm for Palma championship team standards, but they were put on an oppurtunistic path due to the forfeits and losses. They won as they should have and you can't fault them for that. They deserve to be celebrated within the community and to enjoy their state championship. I personally think the exposure is great for the area. To have 2 teams from the same league win a state championship is awesome.

How its celebrated needs to be put in perspective. We should not parade these teams around as the all mighty, but we also shouldnt try to bring them down. I would imagine Salinas high feels shunned. Alisal probably feels they were not given a fair opportunity. The format is what it is and the best team does not always get the best oppurtunity. Palma knows this first hand more than any team in the county.

Well said. I'm not trying to tear the Palma program down, but I think it's easy to get caught up in the excitement and fail to recognize what really happened. From all the way to the beginning of the season to the end, I think there was a lot of getting caught up in the moment for this team.

Yes, Salinas fans have to accept that if the program continues to win league titles, it's going to likely mean a D-Open/D-I playoff path. It is what it is. Hoping next couple of years, they at least get into the side D-I field to have a chance if they continue to have this local success.

I wouldn't mind divisions by enrollment if all sections adopted the same enrollment divisions. What I dislike about divisions by enrollment is all the subsequent conditions that smells just like our current equity systems. Conditions like - private school conditions (and I'm not referring to the all boys or all girls double enrollment) that force them in higher divisions. Or conditions for teams that win too much - they have to move up divisions. Al those types of conditions are nothing more than the equity system - BUT only for certain schools / teams.

The equity system is the fairest system, but if enrollment system, if done with purity, is also fine.

Looking for clarification here...

Are you saying that it's fine for small powerhouses, particularly small private schools, to remain in lower divisions? So, green light to Marin Catholic and Cardinal Newman dominating D-3/4 in the NCS. Central Catholic crushing everyone in SJS D-IV?

No movement at all for continued success? So, unleashing McClymonds on a Gonzales is ok?

Haven't we seen this movie before?

Reactions: Prepwisdom
Looking for clarification here...

Are you saying that it's fine for small powerhouses, particularly small private schools, to remain in lower divisions? So, green light to Marin Catholic and Cardinal Newman dominating D-3/4 in the NCS. Central Catholic crushing everyone in SJS D-IV?

No movement at all for continued success? So, unleashing McClymonds on a Gonzales is ok?

Haven't we seen this movie before?
And there is exactly why the enrollment method of alignment is such a bad idea - because it can't work properly without the equity system.

Palma I believe improved quite a bit with a change on line, Molinari getting healthy (who was injured a few games and back in Hughson game), and Frosh RB coming into his own. One common point on Dukes not mentioned until last couple playoff games is this is the first year of him playing organized tackle football. He suited up and dominated at frosh level and was brought up after the 5th game to fill in and only got better as the season and playoffs progressed. The sky is the limit for him as he gets bigger, faster and the experience. Palma lines will start to get bigger as well. Palma played up in the CCS open division game last season and faced Serra and took their beating which a better Salinas team took two years straight. Given Palma's chances of not fairing well in the Open with the team they fielded and size of their lines, they lowered expectations and shot for getting placed in D2 but loses (including forfeits put them in an even lower division). In general, I think this year's team ended up on par with the talent of last season with exception maybe line a little better and maybe defense a little better last season but they were close. Looks like next season they will have a similar schedule with non-league matchups next season against Hilmar, Yuma Catholic (runner up in their division in AZ), King City and Alisal (a little stronger than this season). Palma may be down next season compared to this season (no experience at QB) and probably won't start rebounding until after next season. Wouldn't expect them to start improving their non-league schedule until after next season and maybe two seasons when they will have talented classes up.

Palma could have easily gave up with many being multi-sport athletes and let football go, but they bought in and committed to getting better. The division at least in the bowl matchups were probably where they should have been or up in 3AA where Soquel was with Soquel maybe moving up but think the division they were in was also very fair.

Well said. I'm not trying to tear the Palma program down, but I think it's easy to get caught up in the excitement and fail to recognize what really happened. From all the way to the beginning of the season to the end, I think there was a lot of getting caught up in the moment for this team.

Yes, Salinas fans have to accept that if the program continues to win league titles, it's going to likely mean a D-Open/D-I playoff path. It is what it is. Hoping next couple of years, they at least get into the side D-I field to have a chance if they continue to have this local success.
Salinas should be better next season than this season and maybe Serra very strong but a level less than this season. Salinas will need to get better on their lines to compete against the top tier WCAL teams, but will have lots of talent this coming season and will be Gab favorite again. Any league winner from A leagues other than WCAL will have to go through the WCAL in the open division. It is just what it is. While Palma and Soquel winning lower divisions isn't winning the Open Division for a state championship or even the D1AA,it took alot of commitment and will to keep going and winning over 15 long weeks. If Salinas would have been seeded higher by one more spot,they could easily been very competitive in the CCS D1 championship and made it the the RBG and further. Just the unluck of the seeding and losing some nonleague games they would have won with last seasons team.

Could be wrong but I don’t think Salinas will be better. Graduating 39 seniors by my count, including their QB, league MVP, and both MLB.

Their JV team went 10-0, but it’s mostly the same team our frosh team beat up pretty good the year before. And our frosh beat em pretty convincingly this year as well despite not having some of their best players.

They’ll be good as usual but i’d be really surprised if they were better.
When you have a school the size of Salinas and have established a system, you don’t rebuild you reload. They might graduate 39 but they probably have close to the same number returning.

They graduated their league offensive mvp QB, 3 top WRs (two being D1 WRs), top 2 RBs, and defensive player of the year LB this past year yet they still dominated the league.

I don’t know much about their JV team but I know they were massive and fast. Salinas didn’t have a good freshman class this year.

Salinas, Soquel and Monterey should have a nice battle for the league title next year. Don’t sleep on Carmel.

They’ll have 19 seniors next year.

I kinda have a really good understanding of their depth chart, having coached against them at the Frosh level the year before (they’ll be Juniors this coming year), and varsity level this year.

Great program, well coached. But i’d be really surprised if they were better than this years team.

Last I heard Carmel is staying down. Wont be any changes to the Gabilan. Neither Carmel or SV want to join the Gabilan.
Idk. I’m only going off their roster listed online that has 79 which includes their underclassmen they brought up for playoffs. I’m sure there are a few duplicates on the roster and it’s not 100% accurate.

If Carmel stays out of the gab, the equity league placement formula is broken. They went 10-0 and return nearly every single one of their top players. They also beat the last place Gab team.

If Carmel stays out of the gab, the equity league placement formula is broken. They went 10-0 and return nearly every single one of their top players. They also beat the last place Gab team.
That's a serious problem in an equity aligned superleague. My experience with superleagues suggest subject schools had to justify why they should or should not be moved. It all seems strange to me because in my limited and frankly aged experience, teams were pushing to move up divisions and not trying to avoid competition.

Idk. I’m only going off their roster listed online that has 79 which includes their underclassmen they brought up for playoffs. I’m sure there are a few duplicates on the roster and it’s not 100% accurate.

Carmel has been gaming the CCS system for decades. Still remember back in the MTAL days when they would cherry pick A-league bottom feeders for the schedule points. The fact that they can go 10-0 and not get bumped is laughable. It's not who you know, it's who you blow

That's a serious problem in an equity aligned superleague. My experience with superleagues suggest subject schools had to justify why they should or should not be moved. It all seems strange to me because in my limited and frankly aged experience, teams were pushing to move up divisions and not trying to avoid competition.
Ya, that was our whole goal to get moved up. But to each their own.

Could be wrong but I don’t think Salinas will be better. Graduating 39 seniors by my count, including their QB, league MVP, and both MLB.

Their JV team went 10-0, but it’s mostly the same team our frosh team beat up pretty good the year before. And our frosh beat em pretty convincingly this year as well despite not having some of their best players.

They’ll be good as usual but i’d be really surprised if they were better.
Cowboy senior class next season is stacked. One of their stronger classes. Their top RB a junior was injured early in the season and will be back and top WRs/Safety (a D1 prospect) was also injured and out early in the season. They will also have a very good line and QB good to boot. Zenk has had the Cowboys play good on the defensive side of the ball as well. They will be the class of the Gab next season and are expected to be better next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT