ADVERTISEMENT

OPEN Final: AM-CW

OnBall8

Hall of Famer
Dec 16, 2012
Well... its been pretty quiet since saturday night, so we might as well get the talk started...

This is the one some predicted as far back as December or maybe even the start of the season.
AM won the first matchup at the Iolani Classic in early december. It was a 1pt victory in OT. Mitty had about a double digit lead at one point in the second half. Both teams committed some brainfarts in the last minute that lead to overtime. But December was a long time ago...

What are your thoughts/predictions this time around?

It should be a very interesting game ...

Mitty has a little more size, I believe, but may struggle with the Clovis West press, even though the bigger court will make it a little less effective. Really, though, this is one of those games that will come down to making shots down the stretch -- and no one ever tries to miss.

Mitty has a little more size, I believe, but may struggle with the Clovis West press, even though the bigger court will make it a little less effective. Really, though, this is one of those games that will come down to making shots down the stretch -- and no one ever tries to miss.

It appeared that Mitty handled the St Marys press pretty well and most consider the Rams press pretty strong. You know all due respect to Cardinal Newman, but the real measuring guide on how Mitty is performing as if late was that St Marys game. If that Mitty team that performed at that high level shows up on Saturday that will be a tough team to contend with.

I know most feel they played well in the NorCal title game, but CN was not really a match and the game was over by the second quarter.

The St Marys game on the other hand was a test that Mitty needed to pass to show how well they can perform in tournament time. Coach Phillips has them doing so many little fundamental things well and those little things really add up. Rarely do you see a high school team collectively on both ends of the floor jump in and out of multiple sets constantly. Mittys coach is completly confident to do anything with any five in the floor.

It should be a great high school game

Clay, not just the court size, but do you think the arena size will play a factor at all? I don't think clovis has played in a venue of this size, Long beach isnt huge. This will be the Mitty senior's 4th time playing in an NBA arena.. obviously arco may be very different than golden 1 but think this is an added advantage??

I got Mitty by 12. I think they will control the tempo of the game and after play 20 other games I'm sure they will handle CW press just fine. Then the size and execution of them playing half court will over come CW and Mitty will have the open championship...

CW has an excellent coach and 5 seniors that have accomplished quite a bit in the past year. Interesting guard matchups of Bates and Marquez For CW vs Ortiz and Holland for Mitty, if the press comes into play we'll see who deals with it in a better fashion. Both teams run the full court very well. The three point element for CW is almost similar to Pinewood. CW will take many threes, this tends to lead to long rebounds outside the paint area and may allow CW second chance opportunities.

Reactions: kkross22
Game will be decided by how many threes CW takes and makes in the big arena...I have only see the PBR in the arena and has one end that is hugely open....
CW is Bigger more talented version of PW....
That is just the truth....if they are hitting threes there are one of the top three teams in the nation....

Last edited:
Difference is that CW has a whole offense
Based on the three.... If they run that offense correctly they might take between 20 and 25 threes Saturday....

I found and watched that Iolani Classic game last night... Good ol' YouTube. As mentioned above, both teams brainfarted a few times here and there, especially late. Still, it was one heck of a game! It'll be interesting to see which team has progressed the furthest in the near 3 months since then.

One factor that could have helped Mitty in that game was the fact they had won rather easily the night before while CW needed OT to beat tourney host Iolani.

Krissy Miyahara of Mitty scored 24 (all from behind the arc, 7 of 7 in the first half). Averages 5.6 pts. a game, and only scored in double figures twice more this season. Can she duplicate that big night if needed?

It'll be a fun one...

Reactions: OnBall8
I called the Nor Cal Final three months ago. I will make my championship prediction on Friday. please stand by.

I found and watched that Iolani Classic game last night... Good ol' YouTube. As mentioned above, both teams brainfarted a few times here and there, especially late. Still, it was one heck of a game! It'll be interesting to see which team has progressed the furthest in the near 3 months since then.

One factor that could have helped Mitty in that game was the fact they had won rather easily the night before while CW needed OT to beat tourney host Iolani.

Krissy Miyahara of Mitty scored 24 (all from behind the arc, 7 of 7 in the first half). Averages 5.6 pts. a game, and only scored in double figures twice more this season. Can she duplicate that big night if needed?

It'll be a fun one...

I also watched the replay on YouTube. I checked MaxPreps and realized that was CW's 8th game and had already played in played in their own tournament. Mitty was playing in just thier third game of the season. My take away is that game was long ago and the season has changed both teams since and we'll probably see many adjustments.

I would think the teams would put more value on watching film of recent game performance to gauge current strengths and weaknesses.

I'm sure both teams have plenty of film, and both will be well-prepared. Both are talented, both are deep, and both belong in the top ten in the country.

In other words, flip a coin ...

As for the arena, Mitty's three games at Arco may or may not help at Golden1 (I have never been there). Most likely, it won't be a factor, but you never know.

As Pat Riley famously said, it's a make-it-or-miss-it game. I hope, though, that the officials aren't forced into making decisions that impact the outcome ... and let's take a quick guess at how many female officials will work boys' championship games. Presumably if they're good enough to do a state title game, the gender shouldn't matter, right?

The first game in December means nothing now. They are both completely different teams now. Trying to compare is like trying to compare your alcohol tolerance from frosh year of college to senior year. Vegas has it as a pick 'em. Seniors, great coaches, talented players, it's going to come down to one team making shots and one team not making shots. The coaches aren't going to out coach each other. They both have a proven track record of being able to coach. This is going to be decided by the players on the court as it should.

We can admit one thing about Sir Donald of the House of the Peckerwoods: He does not lack for exercises in extreme hyperbole.

I'm not sure where you get your information but we have nothing but respect for Mitty, their players and their coaching staff. They are amazingly talented and well coached and play the game the right way. It will be a battle because you have two very talented teams filled with kids that hate to lose. But that's where it starts and ends.

Good luck to all of the teams still playing and congrats on amazing seasons!

Good luck to both teams! They both have had amazing seasons and both are considered to be the best teams in the country! Nothing but respect to both of these impressive programs. Let's hope this game will be something special just like the first OT thriller game they played in Hawaii. It is a toss up and can go either way. I don't think Krissy Miyahara going to be 7 for 7 in first half again this time around, but you never know. Each team is loaded with talent that can all score and both seem to be playing their best ball which is why it should be a good one. If I had to pick a winner, I'm going to go with Clovis West this time by 1 in overtime.

I'm not sure where you get your information but we have nothing but respect for Mitty, their players and their coaching staff. They are amazingly talented and well coached and play the game the right way. It will be a battle because you have two very talented teams filled with kids that hate to lose. But that's where it starts and ends.

Good luck to all of the teams still playing and congrats on amazing seasons!
Most on here have no clue what they are talking about... dont fall for trolls! Good luck this weekend

I have great respect for CW...have been a class program since I started paying attention to girls HS basketball (2010) This group of kids are good kids and they are excellent players. Their coach has always been fair (see above post) and I believe it is a coin flip game also. It should be an amazing game and you can bet I will glued to the TV watching it.

That being said I will be pulling for MITTY. I'm a Norcal fan 1st AND....I want to be able to say it took the National Champs to end Cardinal Newman's season...lol:D

Open End...like a giant horse shoe...
th

I also watched the replay on YouTube. I checked MaxPreps and realized that was CW's 8th game and had already played in played in their own tournament. Mitty was playing in just thier third game of the season. My take away is that game was long ago and the season has changed both teams since and we'll probably see many adjustments.

I would think the teams would put more value on watching film of recent game performance to gauge current strengths and weaknesses.
Overall Mitty has improved more and faced a tougher schedule since the year turned 2017. CW is outstanding, but the depth and size of Mitty is superior. They also have a girl named Jones who proved she could do whatever she wanted to when the game was on the line the last time. Mitty by 8.

Got to feel sorry for for Clovis ....that loser Rep Devin Nunez is representing them in the House....what a lap dog that guy is...
Guy is moron....hope that isn't a typical Clovis resident

It is interesting in that I sat next to two college coaches at latest Mitty games. Their observations were more along the lines of the collective efforts of the use of classic fundamental basketball in the Mitty line up. All forms of defending the low post, use of trapping zones, defending against screens, helpside defense, footwork, pivoting, jab step, escaping the trap, moving without the ball.

Watching when these fundamentals were performed well Mitty played with a flow. I believe college coaches appreciate these things given the fact a number of players enter in to their programs somewhat void of the basic terminology let alone capability to perform such techniques.

It should be a great game Saturday

Got to feel sorry for for Clovis ....that loser Rep Devin Nunez is representing them in the House....what a lap dog that guy is...
Guy is moron....hope that isn't a typical Clovis resident

LOL You realize that in order for him to be elected a representative, people in that district had to vote for him right?

As my old uncle jerry peckerwood used to often point out, your assumption is a classic logical fallacy: because two things have one thing in common, does not mean they have all things in common! Ex: a woodpecker has a beak, and I have a beak, therefore I am a woodpecker!

But hey! What happened to the no politics rule!

It is interesting in that I sat next to two college coaches at latest Mitty games. Their observations were more along the lines of the collective efforts of the use of classic fundamental basketball in the Mitty line up. All forms of defending the low post, use of trapping zones, defending against screens, helpside defense, footwork, pivoting, jab step, escaping the trap, moving without the ball.

Watching when these fundamentals were performed well Mitty played with a flow. I believe college coaches appreciate these things given the fact a number of players enter in to their programs somewhat void of the basic terminology let alone capability to perform such techniques.

It should be a great game Saturday
This is soooo true. I often talk to college coaches and they always rave about how well versed the Mitty girls are in both fundamentals and multiple systems.

What's also cool is that there were 3-4 (maybe more, just what I saw) college coaches there last game that all came from the sue phillips coaching tree. So not only are they learning this stuff but they are in a position to pass it on too

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
This is soooo true. I often talk to college coaches and they always rave about how well versed the Mitty girls are in both fundamentals and multiple systems.

What's also cool is that there were 3-4 (maybe more, just what I saw) college coaches there last game that all came from the sue phillips coaching tree. So not only are they learning this stuff but they are in a position to pass it on too
Imagine how good they would be if they had a "good" coach instead of "an above average" coach. I'm pretty sure those Mitty girls learned all that "Fun-de-mental" stuff watching You Tube videos.

Imagine how good they would be if they had a "good" coach instead of "an above average" coach. I'm pretty sure those Mitty girls learned all that "Fun-de-mental" stuff watching You Tube videos.
yea like if they had paytc and jazz?? I mean coaching isnt hard right??

yea like if they had paytc and jazz?? I mean coaching isnt hard right??

No its not hard at all. It's actually hell a easy for some people. Just like flying a plane or doing brain surgery, just far easier because nothing about it is life threatening. You do have to be good at recognizing talent and putting them in the proper lanes. Some coaches can recognize a talented player as soon as they walk in the gym or step off the bus. Some coaches never recognize talent so they struggle longer trying to figure out what their working with. Then where many people go wrong is for some reason there too tight. They wait until the game is about over before they take chances. I call that scared coaching. I personally wonder what it is to be scared about. The worst thing that could happen is you lose. They actually should take chances early because you got the whole game to recover if the chances backfire. But if they dont back fire you set the tempo and get to kicking into a teams ass early and often and don't slack up till it's clearly over. Players adopt the personality of their coach. So if your coach is scared or pessimistic( especially in big games) the (team) players are tight and less confident too.

The other mistake people make is they don't realize when you are winning and things are going great that is the time to do your best coaching. Don't wait for things to get tough to get prepared for them to get tough. See you use the good times to prepare for the tough times. That's when you get your team as a whole more confident and ready. But the bottom line is most successful coaches have good players and good assistants around them. There are not many who do more with less.

Obviously there is a long list of things that coaches need to constantly work to improve upon. But none of it is very hard.

Again this is my perspective. That is my attitude and how I see it. Others may see it as very tough. I just don't see it that way.

Good luck to the coaches and players who are still aiming at the top. May the games be played with class and good sportsmanship.

Last edited:
I think people are going to be in for a surprise in this one.....

You've been money on your predictions all year long Jaymel, but as my old Uncle Lee always says.... "NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND," I've got the sky high soaring golden eagles of Clovis West 72 to 54.
well... that would be interesting.. I just dont see the gap being that large. St Johns College beat AM by that margin, but St Johns is more athletic 1-5 than CW. And AM played without Garza, the 6-3 starting center, the best rim protector. And that was in december. I dont think either team will blow out the other unless one has a record setting shooting night and the other cant make it in the ocean..

your pointing out of that article from last night does nothing to prove that coaching is easy... in fact I would argue it proves the opposite.. once again get off your high horse with your long-winded nonsensical responses. There was a reason no one responded to you the first time

your pointing out of that article from last night does nothing to prove that coaching is easy... in fact I would argue it proves the opposite.. once again get off your high horse with your long-winded nonsensical responses. There was a reason no one responded to you the first time

I didn't post that to say coaching was easy or hard. I posted that to say I respect coaches that are big enough to admit when they get out coached because it does happen. I posted the first post because I felt the same way I feel now and that is to me and in "my opinion" **** the P.C. police , coaching is easy to me and to many others. And I'll ride any horse I choose to ride despite it not pleasing a person with less self esteem.

And I've gotten to the point where I almost wish you'd ignore all my post, but obviously you can't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT