ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
Last year, we had a lot of turnover, but it's been fairly quiet. What I know:

Alhambra: I think it's open
College Park: Open
Deer Valley: Rumor has it that it's open
Moreau: Open
San Domenico: I know Mike Fulton is going over to the boys, and I think Stephanie Barnes (at Branson last year) is the new coach -- but I could be wrong

Last year, we had a lot of turnover, but it's been fairly quiet. What I know:

Alhambra: I think it's open
College Park: Open
Deer Valley: Rumor has it that it's open
Moreau: Open
San Domenico: I know Mike Fulton is going over to the boys, and I think Stephanie Barnes (at Branson last year) is the new coach -- but I could be wrong
San Ramon Valley and Livermore are both open.

Enlighten us: I haven't heard the name before, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a good resume.

Doing a quick search, it looks like Ralph was on the Berkeley staff at least in 2010.

Coach Ralph was had been an assistant with Gene Nakamura a long time ago and recently came back to help Cheryl.

Not at all. Just last week I was e-mailing her about her summer league ...

It's interesting that we're seeing more and more transitions from girls to boys, and vice versa. (Bernard Barnes, formerly at Clayton Valley and the last two years an assistant at Miramonte, is now the head boys' coach at Bentley.) I feel like over the years coaches in general have gotten a little more respect for the girls' game -- those who have done both know there are differences, but all in all, basketball is basketball.

@Clay K I have to agree with you. Here more respect is given to girls basketball coaches. I think the game is different from the standpoint of patience. I believe the administration team at high schools are more patient with the girls coaches thus allowing time to properly develop a girls program. This is where you see more coaching done. On the boys level it's win right now or else. This is why in my opinion there are far more better girls programs than boys programs here in California. I have coached both boys and girls and the game is the same. It's just a matter of what fundamentals are stressed in a program.

Very interesting that Barnes is now coaching at Bentley boys basketball. What happened to the last coach?

I'm not sure what happened to the Bentley coach. I know the boys coach at Alhambra left after one year due to issues with the AD. I'll keep my ears open to find out what happened at Bentley.

The Bentley coach was the athletic director, Rob Rafeh, whose job got expanded and thus he didn't have the time to be a head coach any more.

Bernard beat out a strong field of candidates ... the boys at Bentley struggled with injuries last year but if healthy, could be very good this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT