ADVERTISEMENT

Seedings info

Feb 21, 2018
Anyone knows what time today the seedings will be made public for the open and the sectionals and as to where one can look them up? Thanks in advance!

No Sacramento, no Antelope, no Bear Creek in Open Division. Only St. Mary's from SJS in Open Div. interesting.

Good thing for Miramonte that they got beat by BOD. Or else they'd be playing Mitty or CLet in the first round of the open. conspiracy Theory: if any of you noticed, he wasn't really coaching last night..lol just sayin'

I'm glad that they didn't move BOD into the open division. Just because they won D2, they didn't have any good quality wins to make them an open team. They did however have one of the toughest schedules!

To add insult to injury, the genius selection committee puts BOD and MM in the same bracket. I swear, the. decisions these idiots make is beyond me. CN didn't even make the finals and gets a better seed than Antelope, BOD, or Miramonte?

Or how about Sac over Heritage? Didn't Heritage beat sac?

Last edited:
Good thing for Miramonte that they got beat by BOD. Or else they'd be playing Mitty or CLet in the first round of the open. conspiracy Theory: if any of you noticed, he wasn't really coaching last night..lol just sayin'

I'm glad that they didn't move BOD into the open division. Just because they won D2, they didn't have any good quality wins to make them an open team. They did however have one of the toughest schedules!

To add insult to injury, the genius selection committee puts BOD and MM in the same bracket. I swear, the. decisions these idiots make is beyond me. CN didn't even make the finals and gets a better seed than Antelope, BOD, or Miramonte?

Or how about Sac over Heritage? Didn't Heritage beat sac?
No...Sac won 50-48

At least the NorCal committee manipulated the brackets to make sure this half of the state would be a bit more competitive with the South. Bumping down some strong units pumps up D1 through D5. Nice work.

The committee obviously didn't attempt to avoid having rematches or 2 teams from the same section playing each other.
SJND plays at Salesian in the first round, after just having played each other last night.

Every year we all scratch our heads at the selection committees seeding's and how they came to be.

THIS YEAR...

OPEN....
1st things 1st.....SJND GOT ROYALLY HOSED in the OPEN. One thing is clear now that none of us new at the time... the CN/SJND 2/3 matchup in NCS D3 was basically an OPEN play in game.

secondly...after years of griping by CLET fans/parents CLET is finally into the 2nd round of the OPEN...haven't seen a team yet lose to BYE....just remember to keep the girls away from any house parties over the next few days.

thirdly... once again the SJS commissioner craps all over the commissioners from the other sections as somehow they only get 1 team into the OPEN...AND Sac gets placed as the #1 seed in D1.

(not to mention West Campus 3 time b2b2b D4 section winner and b2b state champs ends up in D3 again...honestly just put them in D2 already...c'mon geez:()

also....its VERY clear that the head2head matchups were taken into consideration...

D1
1 Sac beat #2 Heritage
2. Heritage beat #3 CN
3.CN beat #4 BOD
4.BOD bet #5 MM
5.MM
6.Bear creek lost to CN and beat #7 Antelope
7. Antelope lost to Bear Creek
8. McClatchy

the CIF clearly DID NOT take into account MaxPreps rankings as MM is #20 in the country by the computer...

I for one applaud the CIF for actually paying attention and actually respecting the on court results. Remember (last season) when ESP was the #2 seed ahead of #4MM despite MM beating ESP by 28 pts. earlier in the season ?

If the Brackets had been completely filled out...#3CN would have been the 1 seed in D1.
D1 #2 Heritage is pretty happy right now avoiding Mitty in OPEN 1st round.
#5Montgomery would have been the 1 seed in D2 (if brackets filled).... D2 #1 Menlo also pretty happy right now.

** another hosejob seed...Bradshaw Christian won the SJS D3 section and got the 16 seed in D2 (goes to Menlo on tues)
meanwhile Christian Bros LOST to Brad Christian and got the 1 seed in D3.....that's just not right.....yikes!!!!!

so anyways...some of my initial thoughts on the seedings...

Last edited:
The committee obviously didn't attempt to avoid having rematches or 2 teams from the same section playing each other.
SJND plays at Salesian in the first round, after just having played each other last night.
They avoided any section matchups in D1 and D2

Reactions: observer22
Trying to understand why NorCal has 6 teams selected and southern cal 8 ? Can someone explain to me what was the reason

...because it benefits the North to slide solid teams down into lower brackets to increase the chances of grabbing an extra state title or two...always remember, the South has many more strong teams because the bulk of CIF participants are there...the mammoth Southern Section, by itself, has more schools than all of NorCal combined...

Every year we all scratch our heads at the selection committees seeding's and how they came to be.

THIS YEAR...

OPEN....
1st things 1st.....SJND GOT ROYALLY HOSED in the OPEN. One thing is clear now that none of us new at the time... the CN/SJND 2/3 matchup in NCS D3 was basically an OPEN play in game.

secondly...after years of griping by CLET fans/parents CLET is finally into the 2nd round of the OPEN...haven't seen a team yet lose to BYE....just remember to keep the girls away from any house parties over the next few days.

thirdly... once again the SJS commissioner craps all over the commissioners from the other sections as somehow they only get 1 team into the OPEN...AND Sac gets placed as the #1 seed in D1.

(not to mention West Campus 3 time b2b2b D4 section winner and b2b state champs ends up in D3 again...honestly just put them in D2 already...c'mon geez:()

also....its VERY clear that the head2head matchups were taken into consideration...

D1
1 Sac beat #2 Heritage
2. Heritage beat #3 CN
3.CN beat #4 BOD
4.BOD bet #5 MM
5.MM
8. McClatchy

the CIF clearly DID NOT take into account MaxPreps rankings as MM is #20 in the country by the computer...

I for one applaud the CIF for actually paying attention and actually respecting the on court results. Remember (last season) when ESP was the #2 seed ahead of #4MM despite MM beating ESP by 28 pts. earlier in the season ?

If the Brackets had been completely filled out...#3CN would have been the 1 seed in D1.
#5Montgomery would have been the 1 seed in D2 (if brackets filled).... D2 #1 Menlo also pretty happy right now.

** another hosejob seed...Bradshaw Christian won the SJS D3 section and got the 16 seed in D2 (goes to Menlo on tues)
meanwhile Christian Bros LOST to Brad Christian and got the 1 seed in D3.....that's just not right.....yikes!!!!!

Very good points north bay, you are right on.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
...because it benefits the North to slide solid teams down into lower brackets to increase the chances of grabbing an extra state title or two...always remember, the South has many more strong teams because the bulk of CIF participants are there...the mammoth Southern Section, by itself, has more schools than all of NorCal combined...
Thank you.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood

THIS YEAR...

OPEN....

D1
1 Sac beat #2 Heritage
2. Heritage beat #3 CN
3.CN beat #4 BOD
4.BOD bet #5 MM
5.MM
8. McClatchy

Aragon wins CCS D2 and gets rewarded with a 9 seed and gets to travel to Eureka. Meanwhile, SHP loses CCS D4 final (and lost to Aragon by 18) and gets a #5 seeds and hosts. MA loses in the CCS D1 semis and gets a 2 seed in D4.

Oh well, at least they're playing unlike last year.

Makes sense. But it ends up screwing the schools on the fringes who missed out an opportunity to play the states, I would think

Reactions: basketba11

THIS YEAR...

OPEN....

D1
1 Sac beat #2 Heritage
2. Heritage beat #3 CN
3.CN beat #4 BOD
4.BOD bet #5 MM
5.MM
8. McClatchy

I won't say just who caused the so call party issue to become a problem. But I will say none of the players or coaches on Carondelet this season were part of the problem last season. So they will be fine as it shows already with a first round bye which they earned it wasn't just given to them. Good for them after being robbed out of a chance to play last season they deserved to bounce back better than before. And given the fact they beat both of the teams they may end up playing in the semi final they've got a good shot to advance to the Norcal championship. Not that it will or should be an easy game or one to take for granted. They must be well prepared and willing to do whatever it takes to advance. Best wishes to them !

It's clear that CIF is trying to improve things ... now whether they actually are is another question.

But ...

1) Fewer teams in North D1 and Open for both boys and girls is clearly not an accident. As mentioned, an adjustment to give more NorCal teams a shot at a state title.

2) Closer to true seeding rather than avoiding rematches or Section matchups.

3) Using common opponents rather than the computer -- thus SJND beats Newman, Newman beats O'Dowd, O'Dowd beats Miramonte. (I haven't looked at it closely enough to see if it's consistent, and as teams have more losses it gets harder, but that seems to be the adjustment this year.)

Reactions: winetot
Aragon wins CCS D2 and gets rewarded with a 9 seed and gets to travel to Eureka. Meanwhile, SHP loses CCS D4 final (and lost to Aragon by 18) and gets a #5 seeds and hosts. MA loses in the CCS D1 semis and gets a 2 seed in D4.

Oh well, at least they're playing unlike last year.

For the Dons, they have a winnable game, albeit 300 or so miles from San Mateo. Eureka is not a powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination. Then again, neither is Aragon. Those two could have been flipped but weren't. Aragon drew the short straw on this one. Let's take a brief note of what happened to Sequoia, the dominant PAL team by any definition. Its reward was hardly a bargain as well: A road apple to Stockton. Again, though, a winnable contest. Let's see what transpires. Oh, by the way, M-A and SSF both got home games. Sequoia handled all of the above. And the Cherokees pounded Eureka too Ah, well, life is not fair. The seeding committee's job was almost impossible.

Last edited:
It's clear that CIF is trying to improve things ... now whether they actually are is another question.

But ...

1) Fewer teams in North D1 and Open for both boys and girls is clearly not an accident. As mentioned, an adjustment to give more NorCal teams a shot at a state title.

2) Closer to true seeding rather than avoiding rematches or Section matchups.

3) Using common opponents rather than the computer -- thus SJND beats Newman, Newman beats O'Dowd, O'Dowd beats Miramonte. (I haven't looked at it closely enough to see if it's consistent, and as teams have more losses it gets harder, but that seems to be the adjustment this year.)
Improve things? Tell that to Salesian or St. Joseph Notre Dame. I would suspect they feel it has gotten worse. A rematch of a section final and the winner goes to Mitty who gets a bye.

Improve things? Tell that to Salesian or St. Joseph Notre Dame. I would suspect they feel it has gotten worse. A rematch of a section final and the winner goes to Mitty who gets a bye.

A six-team NorCal Open makes eminent sense for all of the reasons noted earlier.

The way it is set up right now, you can improve your NorCal/state chances by losing and that is wrong. Tough to change, but it is a bad look.

Going through the brackets, I think they did a better job than last year. I think Sacramento is an Open level team, but now could go win a NorCal title though D1 is loaded

The complicated part is that there is both division placement and seeding.

By division placement, you could win by losing and drop down a division.

But if you lose to a team that winds up in your division, it hurts your seeding, and you lose by losing.

And presumably the idea is to go to true seeding, which overall is better, I think, but can result in teams from the same league playing each other in the first round in section and teams from the same section playing each other in the first round in NorCals.

Would you rather have a team dropped down a spot or two from the seed they deserved so that they didn't meet a section opponent? That skews the bracket for a lot of teams as a result.

The example @northbaybbguru gave with Bradshaw/Christian Brothers sums up the issue. Now this only happens when you are close to a cut line, but does highlight the point that CBS had a cleaner road to a NorCal title and no one will remember it was D3 and not D2.

Moving a team a couple spots here or there within a bracket for scheduling purposes is easier to understand

While not perfect, each section should have similar formats and the final placements within those formats determine what division you go.

I was a little confused at how SRV recieved a 9 seed. I went to the game at Heritage and at half SRV was down by five and with 3 min left they were down by five. Desperation fouling made it a 10 point final outcome. Those two teams are close and things could have reversed had it been at SRV. I don’t know anywhere close to you guys about rankings of these teams but I was surprised at the difference of them being a 2 seed and a 9 seed.

I also saw that Heritage beat McClatchy 70 to 41. Now I don’t know if McClatchy was missing anyone that game. But it’s odd to me McClatchy is hosting SRV, despite identical records.

But like I said I don’t know much about this and am just wondering.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT