ADVERTISEMENT

Seedings info

I’m just catching up on seedings and they did it again. CIF/NCS just keeps on losing and destroying their own credibility and Miramonte keeps benefiting from the preferential treatment
Here is what happened.

- CIF/NCS protected miramonte and used the 6 team excuse to do it. Miramonte should be in open, ask Kelly ( unless it’s state championship time then his answer changes)
- had they placed MM in open they would have had to add an 8th team. MM would have been destroyed by PW in round 1. That would have angered Kelly, don’t anger Kelly CIF.
- Heritage would have been 8. Another Butt kicking by AMHS

They can’t have Kelly losing by 30 or it would make him look bad. May hurt his recruiting. Yes he recruits. He would raise his voice too! Don’t make him angry, you won’t like him angry .
- Salesian and SJND get the shaft because of the need to protect Miramonte. Someone should apologize to those two programs
Other teams were excluded because of the MM nonsense. Someone owes those teams an apology too.

We got the shaft last season as the 16 in D1. We should have never been in D1. We took the beating and went home.

Character and integrity are strangers to these decision makers at CIF and NCS who create this kabuki theatre. No accountability usually means no credibility .

I’m pulling for our friend coach Sami at SF for the upset v CN ( although I really like the CN team). That’s my upset pick of the day.

Reactions: Girls_Hoops
I think the worst example of this competitive equity nonsense is SPSV girls. Small division 4 school of 450 students has an outlier season compared to the last decade. Not only are they moved up all the way to division 1 but they have to travel on the road to Antelope. SPSV being bumped up from d4 to 1 seed in d3 would have made all the sense in the world. Nonsense.

Reactions: hustlinal
McClatchy beat the top seed in SoCal Division I by 26 (Cathedral Catholic). SRV does not have a win close to that quality. McClatchy lost to SoCal Open top seed Clovis West by one, and to SJS D-1 champ SMS by 14.

SRV's three best wins are Lincoln of Stockton, Cal High and Mission San Jose, and lost to Cal High. The other two losses were to Carondelet by 24 and Bear Creek by 19.

The key difference to me is the decisive win over Cathedral Catholic.

I think the worst example of this competitive equity nonsense is SPSV girls. Small division 4 school of 450 students has an outlier season compared to the last decade. Not only are they moved up all the way to division 1 but they have to travel on the road to Antelope. SPSV being bumped up from d4 to 1 seed in d3 would have made all the sense in the world. Nonsense.
looking at bracket and they moved everyone up a division from the NCS teams and Del Norte a #6 seed?

McClatchy beat the top seed in SoCal Division I by 26 (Cathedral Catholic). SRV does not have a win close to that quality. McClatchy lost to SoCal Open top seed Clovis West by one, and to SJS D-1 champ SMS by 14.

SRV's three best wins are Lincoln of Stockton, Cal High and Mission San Jose, and lost to Cal High. The other two losses were to Carondelet by 24 and Bear Creek by 19.

The key difference to me is the decisive win over Cathedral Catholic.
Too much athleticism and speed. Throw in a high level D1 player and homecourt and they have an uphill battle ahead.

I’m just catching up on seedings and they did it again. CIF/NCS just keeps on losing and destroying their own credibility and Miramonte keeps benefiting from the preferential treatment
Here is what happened.

- CIF/NCS protected miramonte and used the 6 team excuse to do it. Miramonte should be in open, ask Kelly ( unless it’s state championship time then his answer changes)
- had they placed MM in open they would have had to add an 8th team. MM would have been destroyed by PW in round 1. That would have angered Kelly, don’t anger Kelly CIF.

They can’t have Kelly losing by 30 or it would make him look bad. May hurt his recruiting. Yes he recruits. He would raise his voice too! Don’t make him angry, you won’t like him angry .
- Salesian and SJND get the shaft because of the need to protect Miramonte. Someone should apologize to those two programs
Other teams were excluded because of the MM nonsense. Someone owes those teams an apology too.

We got the shaft last season as the 16 in D1. We should have never been in D1. We took the beating and went home.

Character and integrity are strangers to these decision makers at CIF and NCS who create this kabuki theatre. No accountability usually means no credibility .

I’m pulling for our friend coach Sami at SF for the upset v CN ( although I really like the CN team). That’s my upset pick of the day.
completely agree... i love the 'then he changes his answer' lmao

I think this system is flawed as well. There should be NO way you benefit from losing section games. They have to make some type of rule that if you win or go runner up in your section that you get a home state playoff game. Its really tough Bradshaw Christian wins D3 and now they have to go on the road as the 16 seed in D2 smh. Miramonte .. open all year and they lose to BOD now they get to play D1.

Mcclatchy Top seed all year lose to SMS open team and gets 8 Seed. I also think they wanted alot of games rematched for Gate money. Mcclatchy vs Sac Hi. SMS vs Pinewood, Heritage vs antelope
MM vs BOD. lots of rematches.

Good luck to Monterey Trail and Oakland Tech in D4....

I think this system is flawed as well. There should be NO way you benefit from losing section games. They have to make some type of rule that if you win or go runner up in your section that you get a home state playoff game. Its really tough Bradshaw Christian wins D3 and now they have to go on the road as the 16 seed in D2 smh. Miramonte .. open all year and they lose to BOD now they get to play D1.

Mcclatchy Top seed all year lose to SMS open team and gets 8 Seed. I also think they wanted alot of games rematched for Gate money. Mcclatchy vs Sac Hi. SMS vs Pinewood, Heritage vs antelope
MM vs BOD. lots of rematches.

Good luck to Monterey Trail and Oakland Tech in D4....

SPSV girls upset Salesian in league tourney then win section and have to travel to Antelope. If they are just so amazing that they need to be in Division 1 then give them the 8 seed.

Reactions: CoachDViks
Here is what happened.

I think you guys give Kelly and Clay waaaaaay too much credit on the influence of seeding. Last year it was suggested that because Kelly works for Farmers, that they get special preferential treatment in regards to getting calls and seeds. I agree that MM should have been an open team over SJND but they didn't get a top 4 seed. Placing them in BOD rematch in the second round is absolutely stupid. CIF needs to get a clue

Reactions: norcalbasketball
Improve things? Tell that to Salesian or St. Joseph Notre Dame. I would suspect they feel it has gotten worse. A rematch of a section final and the winner goes to Mitty who gets a bye.
Can someone explain why SJND is 5 seed and SMS (Section winner) got 6 seed? Why would they make Salesian and SJND play each other first round? Not only are they from the same Section, but they just played each other days ago for D3 Championship! I don't see any reason why SMS shouldn't have been the 5 seed and SJND the 6. I don't think the Committee cares about a Pinewood-SMS rematch from last year, do they?

1) Mitty
2) CLet
3) Pinewood
4) Salesian
5) SJND
6) SMS

If you think Miramonte is an Open team after losing on Saturday, it is hard to help you. Yes before, not after Saturday.

If you are going to play section playoffs, then you have to honor the playoff results.

I think you guys give Kelly and Clay waaaaaay too much credit on the influence of seeding. Last year it was suggested that because Kelly works for Farmers, that they get special preferential treatment in regards to getting calls and seeds. I agree that MM should have been an open team over SJND but they didn't get a top 4 seed. Placing them in BOD rematch in the second round is absolutely stupid. CIF needs to get a clue
i am a geico fan myself

Reactions: Metro916
OK, true seeding vs. avoiding rematches.

Let's a take a division with three quality teams, two of them from the same section that played in Saturday night's finals.

1) Team A
2) Team B (which beat Team C)
3) Much weaker team from a different section
4) Team C (clearly third best team in section)

So this way, avoiding the section rematch, the No. 1 seed gets hosed because now it's playing a much tougher opponent than the No. 2 seed, which gets to play someone based on geography, not accomplishment. And Team C gets hosed too, because now it's playing the top seed one round too soon.

I'm not defending SJND being in the Open or being the fourth seed, but once you have the teams there, you should do true seeding to the best of your ability.

I was a little confused at how SRV recieved a 9 seed. I went to the game at Heritage and at half SRV was down by five and with 3 min left they were down by five. Desperation fouling made it a 10 point final outcome. Those two teams are close and things could have reversed had it been at SRV. I don’t know anywhere close to you guys about rankings of these teams but I was surprised at the difference of them being a 2 seed and a 9 seed.

I also saw that Heritage beat McClatchy 70 to 41. Now I don’t know if McClatchy was missing anyone that game. But it’s odd to me McClatchy is hosting SRV, despite identical records.

But like I said I don’t know much about this and am just wondering.

Seedings were very interesting.
If you think Miramonte is an Open team after losing on Saturday, it is hard to help you. Yes before, not after Saturday.

If you are going to play section playoffs, then you have to honor the playoff results.
Literally have 2 spots that they didn’t fill and elected to give 2 byes though. Interesting decision making to say the least

Let's a take a division with three quality teams, two of them from the same section that played in Saturday night's finals.

1) Team A

So this way, avoiding the section rematch, the No. 1 seed gets hosed because now it's playing a much tougher opponent than the No. 2 seed, which gets to play someone based on geography, not accomplishment. And Team C gets hosed too, because now it's playing the top seed one round too soon.

I'm not defending SJND being in the Open or being the fourth seed, but once you have the teams there, you should do true seeding to the best of your ability.
I totally agree with your thought process there Clay. But IMO, SMS should have a true seeding higher than SJND (taking out rematches or same section match-ups). I am wondering why SJND is a true higher seed than SMS? SMS is Section winner, they have similar records and both have losses to CLet and Salesian. SMS has wins vs BOD and Heritage and BC. SJND has wins over BC and CN. I dunno, I guess both teams are very close to judge. But I think maybe SJS D1 Section winner should be seeded over Section runner up. I guess just my opinion.

I think you guys give Kelly and Clay waaaaaay too much credit on the influence of seeding. Last year it was suggested that because Kelly works for Farmers, that they get special preferential treatment in regards to getting calls and seeds.

They did say that. The funny thing is he actually works for St. Farm, not Farmers, and Farmers is a long time CIF sponsor. If they were going to take into account who he worked for, it would actually have gone against him.

Reactions: Girls_Hoops
I am guessing SMS loss to La Jolla Country Day by 20 2 days before Cardinal Newman beat LJCD may have come into play with SJND being seeded ahead of SMS. Personally, I would have switched SJND and SMS, which would have had Pinewood playing SJND and Salesian playing SMS.

I am guessing SMS loss to La Jolla Country Day by 20 2 days before Cardinal Newman beat LJCD may have come into play with SJND being seeded ahead of SMS. Personally, I would have switched SJND and SMS, which would have had Pinewood playing SJND and Salesian playing SMS.
I was actually thinking the SMS loss to Lincoln really affected their seeding in both Section and now NorCal. Really, that was their only bad loss. And was late in season.

Funny, because all in all, there is justification for what the Committee did with the Open and Top D1 seeds. They really did look at head to head and seeded accordingly for these top seeds. It came down to one game in many situations that could have changed the overall seeds.

I don't think all section treat comp equity the same. SJS especially does same as always. No way West Campus is not a top team in SJS. But in SJS it take three years to move up one division. That is the old system before comp equity but they get to keep it. BC is also a very good team no surprise if they beat Menlo.

As for the Miramonte not in the OPEN, the Mitty boys are in the OPEN? They lost in the first round of CCS Open. That puts them 5th best out of CCS Boys.

As for the Miramonte not in the OPEN, the Mitty boys are in the OPEN? They lost in the first round of CCS Open. That puts them 5th best out of CCS Boys.

The difference is that if they didn't place the Mitty boys in the Open, they wouldn't have had any CCS teams this year. Mitty was the WCAL champ, and the only real choice other than leaving out the CCS and I don't think they wanted to go there.

I don't think all section treat comp equity the same. SJS especially does same as always. No way West Campus is not a top team in SJS. But in SJS it take three years to move up one division. That is the old system before comp equity but they get to keep it. BC is also a very good team no surprise if they beat Menlo.

It will most definitely be a surprise if Menlo loses to BC at home Tuesday.

I was looking at a friend's facebook post and saw that in D5, #1 Seed St. Bernards will get a forfeit from Western Sierra College Academy out of Rocklin. I know Rocklin to Eureka is not joke, but forfeit? I hope the CIF doesn't just let this slide. Severe penalties should be in place.

Reactions: hustlinal

1) Team A

So SJS only team to make the Open gets the last seed in open and the remaining team gets the #1 seed in D1. Appears a negotiation was in play.
I totally agree with your thought process there Clay. But IMO, SMS should have a true seeding higher than SJND (taking out rematches or same section match-ups). I am wondering why SJND is a true higher seed than SMS? SMS is Section winner, they have similar records and both have losses to CLet and Salesian. SMS has wins vs BOD and Heritage and BC. SJND has wins over BC and CN. I dunno, I guess both teams are very close to judge. But I think maybe SJS D1 Section winner should be seeded over Section runner up. I guess just my opinion.
agree very close. both st. joe's losses were better against both Carondelet and Salesian.

Reactions: basketba11
Here is what happened.

As CN fan I have to admit I'm VERY nervous about this 1st round matchup.

SF has been battle hardened thru the gauntlet that is the WCAL league season. Their entire league is a grinder and they should be ready to go. SF also has 9 seniors facing their career being over if they lose and we all know how seniors usually turn it up a notch as their careers near the end.

I think CN has their work cut out for them.

In general, SJS teams tend to do well in the seedings, and since the process isn't public -- and why is that, exactly? -- all we can is speculate that the SJS folks do a good job of making their case for specific teams in specific spots.

That's a credit to SJS, but maybe the other sections should polish their rhetorical skills a bit between now and next year.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
I was looking at a friend's facebook post and saw that in D5, #1 Seed St. Bernards will get a forfeit from Western Sierra College Academy out of Rocklin. I know Rocklin to Eureka is not joke, but forfeit? I hope the CIF doesn't just let this slide. Severe penalties should be in place.

I doubt that school cares much. Lol. 12 hours of driving to take a loss, 1.5 days of school missed.

SF has been battle hardened thru the gauntlet that is the WCAL league season. Their entire league is a grinder and they should be ready to go. SF also has 9 seniors facing their career being over if they lose and we all know how seniors usually turn it up a notch as their careers near the end.

The key is the SF point guard. Limit her, control her, force her to give up the ball, make someone else beat you. It can be done. It has been done.

The key is the SF point guard. Limit her, control her, force her to give up the ball, make someone else beat you. It can be done. It has been done.

What about the SF big? I'm not sure CN has anyone that can match up with her. I think the SF-CN guard match up will be pretty competitive, with an edge to CN. But SF has the edge in the front-court. Will be a tight game. I think SF will pull off the upset.

It is really hard for me to see any higher seeds winning a road game in D1 but that's why they play them I guess.

What about the SF big? I'm not sure CN has anyone that can match up with her. I think the SF-CN guard match up will be pretty competitive, with an edge to CN. But SF has the edge in the front-court. Will be a tight game. I think SF will pull off the upset.

SF had a disappointing season, but played its best game last week, knocking off Presentation in the CCS consolation. They were particularly solid on the defensive end. The point guard is always fun to watch. Agree it should be a good game.

The SF center is indeed a very nice prep post player. But the SF offense was focused on treys. She was not the prime target. The idea of pounding the ball inside was not on the SF menu. The Lancers, in many ways, were Pinewood Lite. That can work when you have a slew of long-distance snipers. Not so much when you don't.

The SF center is indeed a very nice prep post player. But the SF offense was focused on treys. She was not the prime target. The idea of pounding the ball inside was not on the SF menu. The Lancers, in many ways, were Pinewood Lite. That can work when you have a slew of long-distance snipers. Not so much when you don't.

I agree. With all of this. Sf should be running their offense through the post. She's a great passer as well. It would set up more open looks on the perimeter if that's what your offense is all about. You need to have Pinewood type shooters to run that kind of offense.

They are definitely battle tested. This should be a better game than the normal 3 vs 14 scenario. Wouldn't surprise me if SF pulls it out. The pg and post have 3 years worth of norcal games under their belts. Will be a good one.

good call

good call

Honestly CN hasnt played well in a few games. I could see this coming. SF hit a bunch of big shots in the 2nd half and CN didnt do the little things needed to win a close game like this. SF made the plays when needed and got the good win.

That sound of cheering you hear is Bear Creek celebrating NOT having to make the drive to Santa Rosa on thurs.

Last edited:
Reactions: basketba11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT