ADVERTISEMENT

Serra 57, Salinas 21

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
No team has scored twice vs.Serra in two months. So the question becomes: Can Salinas do so? The feeling here is yes. How many points? Probably not much more than 20, if that. It will fall to the Salinas defense and special teams to win this one Saturday in San Mateo.

Last edited:
If the game falls on the Salinas defense Saturday, I just don't see this game going well for the Cowboys. Their stud inside backer- Flynn- is a menace but appears to be playing hurt or at a minimum banged up. Last week against SHP he was dominant on the field but spent quite a bit of time on the sidelines. They need him to be 100% to even have any hope of slowing down the Serra offense. I would love to see Salinas give them a game- but I'm just not seeing it

Last edited:
Salinas needs to initially focus on stopping the Serra running game, in my opinion, and take their chances with the pass. You can't allow them to remain balanced.

Can the Padres beat you through the air? Yes, but in a few of the games I've watched, they haven't really been the most patient. A lot of intermediate and deep passes that fell to the ground. Early in the year, they had some injuries on their OL and their passing game didn't entirely dominate.

For Salinas, they need to be effective through the air. I think they are now starting a sophomore running back, which could be tough against the Padres. I don't think they can afford more than one turnover in this game (the QB tends to be very good with his decisions, only 4 picks).

Sacred Heart Prep was receiving raves about their defense. Going into last week, they hadn't allowed more than 14 points in a game all season. The Cowboys had that by the end of the 1st quarter, en route to 28 total points. 28 was how many points the Gators had allowed in the previous 5 games combined.

Serra blasted Palma, but so did Salinas. After what had happened the previous week to them, once Serra jumped out to a lead, I have to sort of think that the Chieftains may not have had much fight in them at that point. Football can be a game of emotion and momentum, especially at this level. Against the Cowboys, Palma only mustered one screen pass for a long score (the other score came on a strange pick-6). At one point in the 2nd quarter, Coach Zenk for Salinas seemed so little concerned about the Chieftain offense that he actually went for it on 4th down from about their own 37. They didn't get it, but they stuffed the Palma offense immediately afterward and forced a punt. I do think that the star WRs will have to play more on defense than usual this weekend, though.

I think this game can be competitive, but I think we could also see Serra take the game comfortably. I've been saying all year that a team that can throw the ball well has at least a puncher's chance against most teams and Salinas does throw well.

One note: Serra's pass defense may be the best in school history. DB's and LB's (along with a strong pass rush) are outstanding, probably the finest grouping Salinas has seen this year.

One note: Serra's pass defense may be the best in school history. DB's and LB's (along with a strong pass rush) are outstanding, probably the finest grouping Salinas has seen this year.
This may be true, but who tested them? Folsom’s star TE got hurt early in their game. Who else was a passing team on their schedule? Mitty, maybe? Same Mitty that got shut down by St. Francis?

This may be true, but who tested them? Folsom’s star TE got hurt early in their game. Who else was a passing team on their schedule? Mitty, maybe? Same Mitty that got shut down by St. Francis?
Who tested them? Are you serious, do your homework. Serra is in a league of their own. Salinas is a great second tier team. Serra is 5-6 scores better. Salinas has not seen a team play defense like this crew.

Reactions: THEOC89
Who tested them? Are you serious, do your homework. Serra is in a league of their own. Salinas is a great second tier team. Serra is 5-6 scores better. Salinas has not seen a team play defense like this crew.
Thank you for proving my point. You can't name a team that's tested them. "Do your homework." lol... keep in mind who you're talking to.

Reactions: observer22
I think Serra is in a league of their own, but the "Who tested them" question is valid. Folsom being the only one and game was very close. I don't see a scenario where Salinas wins this game, but they may be able to move the ball a little bit with their QB and strong receivers.

Again, the keys are the Salinas defense and special teams. They will have to match or exceed the Serra versions which have been outstanding so far in 2022.

That Serra win at Folsom was even more impressive as it was the Padres' first game and Folsom already had a game vs Monterey Trail the week before. Unfortunately, Folsom lost its D1 TE, but you play with the players you have available.

Serra this season and most definitely next season are head and shoulders above any other CCS team. #2 isnt even 3 TDs close to them. They literally are looking like DLS in the NCS from '90-'10.

I think Serra is in a league of their own, but the "Who tested them" question is valid. Folsom being the only one and game was very close. I don't see a scenario where Salinas wins this game, but they may be able to move the ball a little bit with their QB and strong receivers.
Thank you.

So many posters have praised the Serra dominance... understandable. So many posters have also observed that this WCAL has not been as good as in the past... also understandable. But, I don't think those two ideas can necessarily be divorced.

The Folsom win, although impressive, was a long time ago. If Salinas were to play Clayton Valley Charter now, I would have to believe that the scores would be higher than 21 and 14.

I hope to see a good game on Saturday. My personal belief that this is the last real threat to Serra's road to the Open Division, however truly threatening it is.

Central Catholic can beat Serra, lead 17-0. Home cooking calls lead to Serra 42-30. Salinas wins and then Serra will be like St. Mary's of Stockton. Thought they would blow up Turlock by 4 td's. Turlock planned better. Serra all of the pressure is on you!!! Salinas has no pressure to win. Wanna play Mater Dei or St. John Bosco and lose 65-0, go for it. I got the Cowboys in another major upset in Northern California.

• Wow
Reactions: gr8ball
Again, the keys are the Salinas defense and special teams. They will have to match or exceed the Serra versions which have been outstanding so far in 2022.
Watching the Salinas defense in the games/highlights I've seen has been a little nerve-racking at times. But then in key situations, there they are getting pressure, forcing a bad pass, then collecting the interception. It's been bend-but-don't-break, but they haven't seen an offense as balanced as Serra's. They also haven't seen a good passing attack since, probably, Clovis.

But, they've seen a number of running teams, which is one of the reasons why I think you have to take your chances to try to stop that first.

Central Catholic can beat Serra, lead 17-0. Home cooking calls lead to Serra 42-30. Salinas wins and then Serra will be like St. Mary's of Stockton. Thought they would blow up Turlock by 4 td's. Turlock planned better. Serra all of the pressure is on you!!! Salinas has no pressure to win. Wanna play Mater Dei or St. John Bosco and lose 65-0, go for it. I got the Cowboys in another major upset in Northern California.
Central Catholic is playing good ball right now, no doubt about it. Hopefully, they will give Folsom all they can handle tomorrow. It's interesting that the Calpreps predictions for both of these games are nearly identical.

I do think that if Salinas is going to pull this off, they will have to take chances like Turlock did. The Bulldogs pulled out all the stops and withstood the Rams fighting back.

Reactions: M.C. fan
Only one team in the Golden (well, sort of) State is undeniably unbeatable: Mater Dei. St. John Bosco is close. Everyone else is vulnerable on a given Friday or Saturday. That includes Serra. Stuff happens. Bad luck. Big plays/turnovers. Huge penalties. Teen miscues. Injuries. Who knows? MD is arguably perfect. Is anyone else? No.

Last edited:
Reactions: M.C. fan
Central Catholic led Serra 9-7 after one quarter but trailed 21-16 at the half en route to a two-touchdown loss. It lost four of its first five games including both games against WCAL opponents.

One could argue that Central Catholic and DLS had the toughest non-league schedules in NorCal in 2022. That says something about both of them.

M.C.fan: Maybe you're thinking of a different game as CC never led Serra by 17-0 [?]. I was impressed by how good CC was and suprised St. Francis was able to defeat them by 35-28 start of season [Serra defeated SF by 28-7]. There were calls in both teams favor in the Serra vs CC game and the game was not quite as close as the score 42-30. indicates. CC got 3 point FG off an INT early while Serra missed an INT and then Serra had 61-yd TD called back for "block in the back" [a 13-point swing in CC's favor]. After the initial CC 1rst quarter lead of 9-7 Serra then led 21-16, then 28-16, then 35-14, then 35-23, then 42-23 in the 4th with CC final score coming with 3-min left in game. Serra had almost double the passing yards of 261 to CC's 139 in the game. I think in a rematch Serra would prevail by at least as much as the first game.

On the other hand CC is a difficult team to project though I think a very good team and their 56-29 win last week over Monterey Trail blew me away - esp since MT was the favored team going in - projected to win by several scores. Was last weeks win the biggest of the year for CC - Yes w/o a doubt although another impressive win over Manteca 56-49. CC's worst game had to be the 47-7 shellacking by St. Mary's in which St. Mary's was up 34-7 by 1/2. It could be with the win over MT that CC is peaking at the right time and should be a competitive game hopefully. Can the CC offense outscore Folsom is the big question?

Reactions: M.C. fan and WCAL88
In terms of NorCal's toughest non-league schedules this season Serra remains at the top followed by Folsom and then DLS.

In terms of NorCal's toughest non-league schedules this season Serra remains at the top followed by Folsom and then DLS.
No. DLS and Central Catholic both played Serra. The Padres had just three non-league games. The other two had more. And Serra.

No. DLS and Central Catholic both played Serra. The Padres had just three non-league games. The other two had more. And Serra.
DLS also had ST Mary’s who Beat CC 48-7 or something like that and they played MT as well….I would say Theirs was a little Better then Serra’s….

The Best Part is we got to see the top teams play each other, hopefully this trend continues….

They defended several power 5 WR/TE’s this year, turned out just fine.
Name 'em.

According to Maxpreps, they've only faced 5 receivers that have 40+ receptions (SI doesn't seem to report their stats). Folsom has two, but the 2nd WR was pretty much a non-factor in their game since he probably wasn't a main focus of the gameplan (the injured TE likely was). Palma has one and Mitty has two. The Monarchs, though, don't have much of a running game.

Salinas has two D-I WRs with over 800 yards receiving and 40+ receptions each. They also have two players with more than 600 yards rushing. I would be surprised if any other NorCal team can claim this.

I think that both of these teams may see the most balanced offenses they've faced all year in each other.

DLS also had ST Mary’s who Beat CC 48-7 or something like that and they played MT as well….I would say Theirs was a little Better then Serra’s….

The Best Part is we got to see the top teams play each other, hopefully this trend continues….
THEOC89 is actually correct overall. It's difficult to judge an uneven number of games factoring in non-league vs league games and my initial calculation was based on the first 3 games for each team. Looking at each teams full schedule you get a better idea of which team had the overall most difficult schedule and I was not far off. Here are the top 4 NorCal team schedules and CC as well. The figure represents the total for each teams opponents rating for the full season and since now at near the end of the season with one round of playoffs it paints an even clearer picture. See what you think..

Team / Record / Opponents total ratings [rounded]
DLS 8-3 415
Serra 11-0 404
Folsom 10-1 398
CC 8-14 351 *
played additional game, however 3 teams not counted due to negative ratings.
Pitt 10-1 300 * 2 teams not included due to negative ratings.

** By not counting weak teams with negative ratings the overall score is actually higher than if counted.

Last edited:
Name 'em.

According to Maxpreps, they've only faced 5 receivers that have 40+ receptions (SI doesn't seem to report their stats). Folsom has two, but the 2nd WR was pretty much a non-factor in their game since he probably wasn't a main focus of the gameplan (the injured TE likely was). Palma has one and Mitty has two. The Monarchs, though, don't have much of a running game.

Salinas has two D-I WRs with over 800 yards receiving and 40+ receptions each. They also have two players with more than 600 yards rushing. I would be surprised if any other NorCal team can claim this.

I think that both of these teams may see the most balanced offenses they've faced all year in each other.

Flanagan from DLS is a Notre Dame commit.

Flanagan from DLS is a Notre Dame commit.
According to Maxpreps, Flanagan only has 25 receptions this year. 25... in 11 games. That's only 2.3 catches per game.

Plus, you have to consider who has been delivering the ball to him.

THEOC89 is actually correct overall. It's difficult to judge an uneven number of games factoring in non-league vs league games and my initial calculation was based on the first 3 games for each team. Looking at each teams full schedule you get a better idea of which team had the overall most difficult schedule and I was not far off. Here are the top 4 NorCal team schedules and CC as well. The figure represents the total for each teams opponents rating for the full season and since now at near the end of the season with one round of playoffs it paints an even clearer picture. See what you think..

Team / Record / Opponents total ratings [rounded]
DLS 8-3 415
Serra 11-0 404
Folsom 10-1 398
CC 8-14 351 *
played additional game, however 3 teams not counted due to negative ratings.
Pitt 10-1 300 * 2 teams not included due to negative ratings.

** By not counting weak teams with negative ratings the overall score is actually higher than if counted.
So, you award DLS as having the toughest because Serra didn't play themselves? 🤔

Salinas barely squeaked by a flu ridden, worn out SHP team. After a 2hr bus ride { league champs} it was quickly 14-0. Two interceptions by SHP thrown in the end zone shows the bend don't break Salinas defense. If Salinas gets a little chippy it will be fun to see how Serra reacts.... Padres by 20

25 of the team’s 80 completions, close to 30% of the team’s total completions. That’s pretty impressive, especially since he got every opposing secondary’s utmost attentions.

Salinas barely squeaked by a flu ridden, worn out SHP team. After a 2hr bus ride { league champs} it was quickly 14-0. Two interceptions by SHP thrown in the end zone shows the bend don't break Salinas defense. If Salinas gets a little chippy it will be fun to see how Serra reacts.... Padres by 20
I'm sure they can get chippy back,I hope not. Just good intense playoff football. Shoreview San Mateo is a proud kind of group, just saying...

So, you award DLS as having the toughest because Serra didn't play themselves? 🤔
Like You Said…. it’s Splitting Hairs at This Point….

It’s just nice to finally see other teams Scheduling on the same Level as DLS…..

M.C.fan: Maybe you're thinking of a different game as CC never led Serra by 17-0 [?]. I was impressed by how good CC was and suprised St. Francis was able to defeat them by 35-28 start of season [Serra defeated SF by 28-7]. There were calls in both teams favor in the Serra vs CC game and the game was not quite as close as the score 42-30. indicates. CC got 3 point FG off an INT early while Serra missed an INT and then Serra had 61-yd TD called back for "block in the back" [a 13-point swing in CC's favor]. After the initial CC 1rst quarter lead of 9-7 Serra then led 21-16, then 28-16, then 35-14, then 35-23, then 42-23 in the 4th with CC final score coming with 3-min left in game. Serra had almost double the passing yards of 261 to CC's 139 in the game. I think in a rematch Serra would prevail by at least as much as the first game.

On the other hand CC is a difficult team to project though I think a very good team and their 56-29 win last week over Monterey Trail blew me away - esp since MT was the favored team going in - projected to win by several scores. Was last weeks win the biggest of the year for CC - Yes w/o a doubt although another impressive win over Manteca 56-49. CC's worst game had to be the 47-7 shellacking by St. Mary's in which St. Mary's was up 34-7 by 1/2. It could be with the win over MT that CC is peaking at the right time and should be a competitive game hopefully. Can the CC offense outscore Folsom is the big question?
Appreciate clarification

According to Maxpreps, Flanagan only has 25 receptions this year. 25... in 11 games. That's only 2.3 catches per game.

Plus, you have to consider who has been delivering the ball to him.

The question was asked about D1 TE/WRs. He’s a top prospect.

Name 'em.

Folsom is a much more prolific offense that plays in a much better league top to bottom. Folsom has 4 D1 WR’s including Lyons and a Power 5 QB to boot. The WR had 32 receptions in a running offense. The DLS TE is a ND commit. The WCAL has a number of very good WR’s.

Serra defense is way above any defense Salinas has faced, talent wise and coaching. Salinas OL is outmatched at every position period.

Salinas is a well coached talented team with above average defense. They have had a great season.

Only chance they have is if Serra turns ball over 4-5 times.

This game features a FBS team vs an FCS team.

I would give Salinas the edge to beat most WCAL teams this year but not Serra.

I'm sure they can get chippy back,I hope not. Just good intense playoff football. Shoreview San Mateo is a proud kind of group, just saying...
wonderful image of the "New Serra" lol Clarification ; shore view is a neighborhood not a city within San Mateo. Lets just hope these shore view kids/families become positive alumni in the future and give back when they can. Im sure they were given a helpful hand on W20th Ave

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT