ADVERTISEMENT

Serra 57, Salinas 21

wonderful image of the "New Serra" lol Clarification ; shore view is a neighborhood not a city within San Mateo. Lets just hope these shore view kids/families become positive alumni in the future and give back when they can. Im sure they were given a helpful hand on W20th Ave
I stand corrected, Shoreview isn't located in San Mateo? My bad Captain.

I don't know. Would like to think Salinas has a good shot but in one game CVC I went to and they won they only had 130 yards rushing and 140 passing so 270 years to CVC who lost had 478 yards total offense. Salinas had really good field position with their kicking game and CVC offense stalled alot. CVC had a big line that gave Salinas trouble and I think Serra's lines are a level better than the Eagles and the Pads have athletes at LBs and DBs are excellent. Salinas may score 21 which I think they could and may break a long one, but Serra will probably adjust. I could just as easily wee Serra defense shutting Salinas offense down to 14 points. Salinas d-line is not very physical and has excellent LBs with their best one a little winged. Salinas will have to stack the box to stop the Serra rushing game and when they do that Serra will throw the ball which they are able at. Salinas tired out Palma defense but majority of their line is undersized and sophs and juniors. Salinas offense is very good but I think the line matchup favors Serra by a lot and Serra is rolling now. Serra offense has deception and that offensive line will have success against the Cowboys. I think the game won't be a blow out but could be 35-14, 35-21. I think some of the closer WCAL games are due to fact these teams know each other well and they scheme each other well. At this stage I think Cowboys would have tough games against both Serra and St Francis and Mitty. If Salinas D-line was better and they had a little more dominating RB, they could win the game. Day games in San Mateo also favor the Pads. Still am thinking about going to the game tomorrow but since it is streamed I might be lazy. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: THEOC89
I don't know. Would like to think Salinas has a good shot but in one game CVC I went to and they won they only had 130 yards rushing and 140 passing so 270 years to CVC who lost had 478 yards total offense. Salinas had really good field position with their kicking game and CVC offense stalled alot. CVC had a big line that gave Salinas trouble and I think Serra's lines are a level better than the Eagles and the Pads have athletes at LBs and DBs are excellent. Salinas may score 21 which I think they could and may break a long one, but Serra will probably adjust. I could just as easily wee Serra defense shutting Salinas offense down to 14 points. Salinas d-line is not very physical and has excellent LBs with their best one a little winged. Salinas will have to stack the box to stop the Serra rushing game and when they do that Serra will throw the ball which they are able at. Salinas tired out Palma defense but majority of their line is undersized and sophs and juniors. Salinas offense is very good but I think the line matchup favors Serra by a lot and Serra is rolling now. Serra offense has deception and that offensive line will have success against the Cowboys. I think the game won't be a blow out but could be 35-14, 35-21. I think some of the closer WCAL games are due to fact these teams know each other well and they scheme each other well. At this stage I think Cowboys would have tough games against both Serra and St Francis and Mitty. If Salinas D-line was better and they had a little more dominating RB, they could win the game. Day games in San Mateo also favor the Pads. Still am thinking about going to the game tomorrow but since it is streamed I might be lazy. Lol
You... uh... do realize that the CVC game was a long time ago, right? A lot has happened since then. SHP had only allowed 1 100-yard rusher all year. Salinas' sophomore RB (who was not the starter against CVC) racked up 151.

He had 188 against Palma.

You... uh... do realize that the CVC game was a long time ago, right? A lot has happened since then. SHP had only allowed 1 100-yard rusher all year. Salinas' sophomore RB (who was not the starter against CVC) racked up 151.

He had 188 against Palma.
Palma d-line is not close to CVC or Serra. He will be good but Serra defense is at another level. Serra will be able to play Salinas straight up. I just don't see this as decent matchup. At the CVC game I was at, Salinas line was less than dominating Run blockers. Not going to gain much if no holes to run in. Serra defense is stifling.

Last edited:
NorCal - good right up as usual from the most knowledgeable person on the board for years' when it comes to the Pacific Coast/Gabilan League. This is an intriguing game of sorts due to the Salinas offense and several quality wins they had over the season. Granted Serra had a tougher schedule, but Salinas has quality wins over Clovis & CVC as well as SHP who has a very good D. I don't think the game will be at all similar as to the Palma game. Palma suffered a beat-down loss to Salinas 47-14 the week prior to traveling to Serra's home turf. Palma was never in that game after the initial KO and just did not have the "horses" to stay with Serra. Having said that I don't expect the same from Salinas. I actually thought Serra would be facing SHP whom I thought would give Serra a good game. Now that Salinas pulled off the win I would expect no less. Make no mistake Serra is heavily favored, but then again so was St. Mary's last week who lost in a shocker to a team with another good offense who found a way to keep up with St. Mary's and in the end outscore them by 1 point.
Here's a bit of info for fans to see how the 2 teams score & defend for the season & against their top 5 opponents.

Serra - season avg on Offense = 34, Defense = 10
Serra 17 Folsom 12
Serra 24 DLS 21
Serra 29 St. Francis 7
Serra 42 Central Catholic 30
Serra 35 Mitty 7
* Against top 5 teams played Serra avg 29 offense and allowed 15 defense

Salinas - season avg on Offense = 42, Defense = 19
Salinas 21 CVC 14
Salinas 50 Clovis 34
Salinas 28 SHP 21
Salinas 41 Aptos 44 [L]
Salinas 47 Palma 14
* Against top 5 teams played Salinas avg 37 offense and allowed 25

stop the RB from cutbacks/oppo flow and Salinas is done
Yep, that's what defenses have been doing all season long to slow them down... that's why they've only scored more than 40 points in 8 of their 11 games. Otherwise, it might have been all 11.

• Haha
Reactions: gr8ball
Serra 8 Salinas 0 Q1 7:05. After Salinas 3 and out deep and Serra drive culminating in 15 yard TD pass, 2 pt conversion good

Serra 15 Salinas 0 Q1 1:41 after 66 yard drive. Cowboys star LB Aiden Flynn injured and walked off the field. May not be back in game.

This game is a disaster for Salinas. Lost best defensive player in middle and pass rusher. Serra starting at 39 of Salinas after 3 and out

Serra 36 Salinas 0 Q2 6:49
Serra 56 yard TD screen pass to Green
Serra is 5 for 5 on offensive series

Game looking eerily like the Palma game last week & now Serra 36-0 with 6 min left in the 1/2.

Serra 43 Salinas 7 Q2 1:59
Serra 26 yard TD pass to Webber
Serra 6 of 6 on offensive possessions
Running clock anyone? May be Salinas' worst first half

Not getting any better as Serra scores in 2 plays with long pass and short run to make it 50-7 going into 1/2.
The Salinas kickreturner just took a vicious hit and down on the turf. Smart move is running clock as Serra gets the 2nd 1/2 KO & game over at this point.

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
Serra 50 Salinas 7 Half
Salinas player took a hard hit on return with 32 seconds left and down. Looked like serious head to head shot by tackler at full speed. His feet are moving and Nathan Vasquez is up. That looked very serious and thank goodness he is okay.

May be worst half in Cowboy history at least since I have known the program. Not sure Salinas WR Cortez is okay either. He came out in second half after a hit, and Aiden Flynn has been out since Q1. Serra is very physical. Surprised no penalty on the kick return.

Last edited:
They’re generally taking Hunter out of the equation and making the other WRs do the work. Offense really started rushing things after early pressure. Settled down on scoring drive, but looking really frustrated. This is what they’ve been doing to most other teams all year.

Serra’s firing on all cylinders.

They’re generally taking Hunter out of the equation and making the other WRs do the work. Offense really started rushing things after early pressure. Settled down on scoring drive, but looking really frustrated. This is what they’ve been doing to most other teams all year.

Serra’s firing on all cylinders.
This might be most one sided CCS D1 or Open playoff by a team in section's history. Not sure Mitty will do any better when they play Serra again.

Reactions: Cal 14
Salinas #2 QB is returning and has potential. RB is a sophomore. He’s quick, but needs to get bigger. They lose a bunch on the outside, though.

Serra looks like they could be amazing next year.

Salinas #2 QB is returning and has potential. RB is a sophomore. He’s quick, but needs to get bigger. They lose a bunch on the outside, though.

Serra looks like they could be amazing next year.
Don't see Salinas being as good as this team next year. They should be decent, but this team had lots of talent. If lines were a little more physical could have been more competitive. I think some of the teams they had in the 90s - 2000s were more physical. This team had some great WRs and QB I'm surprised he doesn't have offers. Any team in the CCS has to hope they get placed in another playoff bracket than D1 next season. Cowboys faced a juggernaut

Don't see Salinas being as good as this team next year. They should be decent, but this team had lots of talent. If lines were a little more physical could have been more competitive. I think some of the teams they had in the 90s - 2000s were more physical. This team had some great WRs and QB I'm surprised he doesn't have offers. Any team in the CCS has to hope they get placed in another playoff bracket than D1 next season. Cowboys faced a juggernaut
Salinas had a great team in the early 80s. Ran wishbone. I think coach's name was Welsh. Had St Francis down in final 2 minutes at Spartan Stadium, but Lancers drive 80 yards for winning TD.

Salinas had a great team in the early 80s. Ran wishbone. I think coach's name was Welsh. Had St Francis down in final 2 minutes at Spartan Stadium, but Lancers drive 80 yards for winning TD.
In 1979 my graduation year from Palma the Cowboys lost to Calcagno's St Francis team 23-22 in the Finals. I don't remember who coached the Cowboys that year.

Reactions: concrete17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT